The son of Angola’s former president Jose Eduardo dos Santos has been remanded in custody in a $1.5bn corruption case, a state prosecutor said.
“Given the complexity and seriousness of the deeds and in order to guarantee an effective enquiry… the state prosecution service decided to apply a preventive detention measure to those accused” in the case, prosecutor-general Alvaro Da Silva Joao said in a statement on Monday.
Those targeted include the ex-president’s son, Jose Filomeno dos Santos, former head of Angola’s sovereign fund.
“The evidence assembled in the case constitutes sufficient evidence that the accused were involved in acts of corruption,” the statement added.
Also accused in the case is another former fund manager, Angolan-Swiss businessman Jean-Claude Bastos de Morais, the prosecutor said.
Jose Filomeno dos Santos, nicknamed Zenu, was appointed head of the $5-billion fund in 2013 by his father, president at the time.
Jose Eduardo dos Santos stepped down last year after dominating the country’s politics for nearly four decades. Read more