A Briton has died after contracting rabies while on holiday in Morocco, health officials have said.
Public Health England said the victim became infected after being bitten by a cat.
PHE issued a reminder to travellers to avoid coming into contact with animals when in rabies-affected countries.
Rabies is not found in wild or domestic animals in the UK, but five Britons became infected between 2000 and 2017 after “animal exposures abroad”.
Some species of bats in the UK can carry a rabies-like virus.
According to the World Health Organization, the disease occurs in more than 150 countries and causes tens of thousands of death every year, mainly in Asia and Africa. Read more