The last moments of a teenage girl who died from a suspected drug overdose at a Sydney music festival have been revealed.
Alex Ross-King, 19, died in hospital after attending the FOMO music festival in Parramatta.
She had been dancing in the 35-degree heat, surrounded by people taking illicit drugs and drinking alcohol before she collapsed.
“Everywhere I looked people were on drugs and drinking a lot of alcohol so it’s scary that it could be one of my friends next,” one festivalgoer told Nine News.
It is understood the teenager presented herself to the medical tent when she wasn’t feeling well.
Police said she was rushed from the Parramatta Park event to Westmead Hospital about 6pm on Saturday, and died later that night. The circumstances of her death are being investigated with a post-mortem to be conducted early next week.
Police are waiting on toxicology results, but believe the teenager’s pills contained MDMA.
Ms Ross-King is the fifth person to die from a suspected drug overdose at a NSW music festival in recent months.
Her death comes just weeks after the death of Brisbane man Josh Tam, 22, who died after taking a substance at the Lost Paradise festival on the Central Coast on December 29, and police are cracking down on event organisers.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Jones said police would introduce a “more robust process” from March, where organisers would have to convince police that they have appropriate measures in place in relation to safety and security — particularly in relation to health aspects around events. Read more