229 suspected hoodlums face prosecution over arson, others in Lagos (Punch)
The Lagos State Government has said it will be prosecuting all suspected hoodlums arrested in connection with the mayhem unleashed on the state between Tuesday and Wednesday in the aftermath of Lekki toll gate shooting by soldiers.
The state Ministry of Justice said on Saturday that the police had arrested 229 suspected hoodlums and their case files were being evaluated preparatory to prosecution on charges of arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties, assault, etc.
A statement by the Director, Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Justice, Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, said the state’s Director of Public Prosecutions, Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, had gone round relevant police formations with her team “to evaluate files of those arrested by the police with a view to determining those that have prima facie case made against them.” Read more
We need empathy not quit notice, Lagos tells residents (Guardian)
Igbo and non-Yoruba residents of Lagos State, yesterday, got a groundswell of support, and promises of continuous harmonious co-habitation.
The solidarity messages were equally laden with tonnes of condemnation for war mongers, those whipping up ethnic sentiments, as well as those championing an “imminent tribal war” in the state, in the wake of last week’s mindless looting and destruction of public and private property by hoodlums.
Leader of a so-called Young Yoruba for Freedom, Adeyinka Grandson, who currently resides abroad, in a viral video urged all Igbo to leave Lagos in 48 hours or face dire consequences. Read more
My family homeless after losing church, house to Lagos clash – Cleric (Punch)
A cleric in the Fagba area of Lagos, Solomon Ajao, has recounted the devastating loss a clash among youths in the community left on his family.
His church and apartments within the premises were burnt down in the clash and his family displaced.
Sunday PUNCH learnt that some youths, claiming to be staging #EndSARS protest mounted a roadblock at the Fagba junction on Wednesday and stopped a truck conveying cows from the northern part of the country.
The hoodlums reportedly set fire to the truck when they demanded a cow from the owners who turned down their request. Read more
#EndSARS unrest: Lagos evaluates files of 229 arrested (Guardian)
The Lagos State Ministry of Justice has arrested 229 suspects that allegedly took part in the mayhem in Lagos State in the aftermath of the Lekki Toll Plaza incident on Tuesday night.
The ministry said in a statement said that it would prosecute suspects that took advantage of the #EndSARS protest to destroy and loot public and private properties in different parts of the state.
The statement, signed by Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, the Director of Public Affairs, was made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Saturday.
“The Lagos State Director of the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, has gone round relevant Police formations with a team of prosecutors to evaluate files of those arrested by the police with a view to determine those that have prima facie case made against them. Read more
Lagos sets up panel of enquiry for victims of SARS-related abuses (Nation)
Lagos State Government has set up a panel of enquiry for victims of Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) related abuses and Lekki Toll Gate incident.
In a press statement issued by the Secretary, Lagos SARS Panel, Mr. Babajide Boys, members of the public are to submit memoranda at the public sitting of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution set up by the state government.
According to Babajide, the new venue for the sitting is ‘Lagos Court of Arbitration, 1A Remi Oluwole St. 2 Roundabout, Lekki Expressway, Lekki Phase 1, Estate, Lagos. “Days of sitting include Tuesday, Friday and Saturday and the time of sitting is 10am – 4pm.” Read more
Tinubu visits Sanwo-Olu, outlines steps to redressing SARS’ atrocities (Guardian)
Former Lagos State governor and chieftain of All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has outlined steps towards redressing atrocities and human rights abuses perpetrated by the disbanded Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS).
The APC national leader spoke with journalists, yesterday, after conferring with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu over the shootings of #ENDSARS protesters in Lekki on Tuesday night, at the State House in Marina.
While stressing that he did not order the attack on the protesters, he said he called on the governor as part of the process of ascertaining who ordered the attack. Read more
AbdulRazaq announces N500m support for looted businesses (Vanguard)
Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has announced N500m fund to assist all those whose businesses in Ilorin were looted by hoodlums, as parts of the administration’s efforts to bring them back on their feet following the incident.
The governor said this Saturday evening after he visited various shops and scenes that were looted by the hoodlums.
Speaking in an interview with journalists, in Ilorin the governor condemned “the mindless looting” of people’s businesses in the state capital on Friday, insisting that there can be no justification for such criminal behaviour. Read more
9 feared dead as soldiers, IPOB members clash in Rivers (Punch)
About five soldiers and four members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra have been feared dead after a clash in Oyigbo and other parts of Rivers State.
This brings to seven the number of IPOB members who reportedly died during the #EndSARS and police brutality protest in the state.
The IPOB members were said to have engaged in a shoot-out with a joint security team comprising soldiers and police deployed to quell their activities in Oyigbo, Rumuokwurusi and other flashpoints areas.
Governor Nyesom Wike in a state broadcast on Friday condemned activities of the group despite the 24-hour curfew imposed on the Oyigbo council area. Read more
Rep seeks dialogue, compensation for #EndSARS victims (Nation)
A member of the House of Representatives, Teejay Yusuf, has called for dialogue and as a way to resolve some of the issues raised by #ENDSARS protesters.
The lawmaker also called for payment of compensations for victims of police brutality in the country.
According to him, the best that can happen now is to pull back from the brink, have frank dialogue and demand the institution of lasting corrective measures that may become part of our constitutional reforms. Read more
Samsung Group titan Lee Kun-hee dies aged 78 (BBC)
Lee Kun-hee, the chairman of South Korea’s largest conglomerate, Samsung Group, has died aged 78.
Mr Lee helped to grow his father’s small trading business into an economic powerhouse, diversifying into areas like insurance and shipping.
During his lifetime, Samsung Electronics also became one of the world’s biggest tech firms.
He was the richest person in South Korea, according to Forbes, with a net worth of nearly $21bn (£16bn). Read more
James Bond’s “No Time To Die” ‘could be released on streaming services’ after lengthy delays (Metro)
James Bond’s No Time To Die could be released on streaming services – with Apple TV and Netflix in the mix – after a string of delays.
The upcoming film, which marks Daniel Craig’s last outing as the spy, was recently pushed back until April, 2021 following the pandemic. However, it has now been claimed that we may see 007’s latest adventure on the small screen. Bloomberg states MGM held talks with both Apple and Netflix about possibly moving the release on to their platforms. Read more
2nd French mayor threatened with beheading in the wake of teacher’s brutal murder (RT)
A second French mayor has apparently been threatened with “beheading” just days after the gruesome murder of a schoolteacher over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed. The ominous threat was sprayed on the walls of a school in Lyon.
“The mayor of the 8th, we’ll behead your head [sic],” the graffiti read, referring to the eighth district of Lyon and its elected official, Olivier Berzane. Unambiguous threats were also made to cut off the heads of teachers and students. Read more
School meals: Boris Johnson facing calls to meet Marcus Rashford (BBC)
Boris Johnson is facing calls to meet with footballer Marcus Rashford to discuss his free school meals campaign.
The government has ruled out extending meal vouchers for vulnerable children in England to the holidays, saying it has already increased welfare payments.
But chairman of the education select committee Robert Halfon said a meeting would help ministers create a long-term strategy to combat child food hunger. Read more
Kanye West candidly speaks out on ‘gut-wrenching’ manic bipolar episode (Metro)
Kanye West opened up about his ‘crying and gut-wrenched’ manic bipolar episode in a new podcast. The Runaway rapper broke down in tears during his first political rally in South Carolina earlier this year, claiming himself and wife Kim Kardashian wanted to abort their first child North, now seven, in 2012.
He told the audience that for a few months his wife had ‘the pills in her hand’ while deciding whether to abort their daughter. Read more
Pence’s chief of staff tests positive for Covid-19, VP not infected – spokesman (RT)
Marc Short, known as Mike Pence’s closest aide, has been infected with coronavirus, the vice president’s spokesman has confirmed, adding that Pence himself tested negative and is not planning to halt his campaign.
“Vice President Pence and Mrs. Pence both tested negative for Covid-19 today, and remain in good health,” spokesman Devin O’Malley reported on Saturday evening as he confirmed that the VP’s right-hand man, Short, had contracted the virus.
Pence is not expected to cancel any of his scheduled events in light of his top aide’s illness, O’Malley noted, adding that his boss “will maintain his schedule in accordance with the CDC guidelines for essential personnel.” Read more
US election 2020: Trump in three-state campaign blitz after casting vote (BBC)
President Donald Trump has conducted a three-state campaign blitz after voting early in Florida.
He hopped between rallies in North Carolina, Ohio and Wisconsin on Saturday as he sought to make up ground against his Democratic challenger Joe Biden.
Mr Biden, who holds a steady lead in national polls, campaigned in Pennsylvania, another key state. Read more
Eagles to assist #EndSARS victims (Punch)
Super Eagles stars in the English Premier League are in talks over providing aid for victims of the #EndSARS protests in Nigeria, according to Daily Mail.
There’s been mass protests across several parts of the country against extortion and extrajudicial killings by the now-disbanded unit of the police, Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
On Tuesday, security operatives, in a bid to disperse protesters at the Lekki tollgate, Lagos, reportedly opened fire on the teeming youths, with some killed and several others suffering bullet wounds.
The violence escalated on Wednesday, with several government and private facilities across the country, including police stations, burnt down by hoodlums. Read more
Eagles must take friendlies seriously to improve in FIFA ranking, says Adelabu (Guardian)
The Super Eagles will resume their campaign to qualify for Cameroun 2021 African Nations Cup…next month.
Former international, Adegoke Adelabu, has expressed disgust in the attitude shown by the country towards friendly matches played by the Super Eagles during international break, saying that planning without results was an indication of poor preparation.
Nigeria is now in 32nd position in the latest FIFA ranking after dropping from last month’s rating of 29th. The Eagles’ last two matches against Algeria and Tunisia were not encouraging, as the team lost 0-1 to Algeria and played 1-1 draw with Tunisia. Read more
Zaha inspires Palace in win over Fulham (BBC)
Wilfried Zaha “deserves all the praise he is going to get”, said Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson after the winger scored and made another goal to inspire a victory and inflict more misery on bottom side Fulham.
Palace were on the back foot for much of the encounter, with the hosts having almost 70% possession, but netted twice on the counter-attack.
Zaha’s thumping strike was saved by Alphonse Areola but in the next move the Ivorian slipped a sublime reverse ball through to Jairo Riedewald to slot in the opener.
Fulham could have got back into the contest but Ademola Lookman twice hit the woodwork in the opening period, seeing an effort tipped onto the near post by Vicente Guaita and drilling a drive across goal which rattled the other post. Read more
Khabib Nurmagomedov announces retirement seconds after beating Justin Gaethje (Metro)
UFC superstar Khabib Nurmagomedov has announced his retirement from fighting just moments after beating Justin Gaethje by technical submission at Fight Island.
The Russian’s father and coach, Abdulmanap, passed away in July at the age of just 57 following complications with coronavirus and Khabib had initially said he would not return to the octagon.
However, he was persuaded to return for UFC 254 to take on Gaethje, who had seen off Tony Ferguson, and gave an accomplished display, seeing off The Highlight in the second round. Read more
Koeman blames VAR for Clasico loss (BBC)
Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman says the video assistant referee system seems to be “only used to make decisions against Barca” after Sergio Ramos’ penalty helped Real Madrid win El Clasico.
Federico Valverde smashed Real, who had lost their previous two games, into the lead from Karim Benzema’s pass.
Barcelona’s Ansu Fati, 17, levelled from Jordi Alba’s cross, becoming the youngest scorer in El Clasico history. Read more
Frank Lampard praises ‘imperious’ Chelsea star after Manchester United stalemate (Metro)
Frank Lampard revealed there wasn’t a ‘beautiful’ feeling inside the Chelsea dressing room after Saturday’s stalemate against Manchester United, but he was encouraged by more signs of defensive improvement from his side.
The Blues looked shambolic at the back in recent draws against West Brom and Southampton, conceding six goals in two games against sides who are likely to finish in the bottom half of the Premier League table.
Lampard spent the overwhelming majority of his transfer budget on strengthening an already formidable looking forward line, but three of his defensive additions impressed at Old Trafford. Read more
Liverpool fight back to beat Sheffield United (BBC)
Defending champions Liverpool returned to winning ways in the Premier League with a hard-fought comeback victory over struggling Sheffield United at Anfield.
Deputising at centre-back for the injured Virgil van Dijk, Liverpool midfielder Fabinho conceded a 13th-minute penalty for a foul on Oliver McBurnie on the edge of the box, allowing Sander Berge to slot in following a video assistant referee review.
Despite Liverpool facing spirited opposition, Roberto Firmino converted from Sadio Mane’s saved shot four minutes before half-time and Diogo Jota’s header completed the turnaround midway through the second half. Read more