Another proposed nude party aborted, to be investigated (Independent)
The Adamawa State Police Command has said it will investigate the aborted nude beach party being speculated to hold on Sunday in a section of the state capital.
Daily Independent learnt that arrangement for the nude beach party had reached an advanced stage before it was halted by the police.
It was gathered that advertisement for the Yola beach nude party, scheduled to hold on Sunday, had been in circulation on social media platforms since last week. Read more
Robbers shoot dead Lagos Uber driver, steal car (Punch)
The driver of a ride-hailing service, identified simply as Tade, recently lost his life to armed robbers, who shot him dead around Badore in the Ajah area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro gathered that a yet-to-be-identified customer requested Tade’s service to convey him to a destination in the state and he drove down to the agreed pick-up point in Badore.
It was learnt that immediately he got to the destination, three armed men waylaid him and while attempting to dispossess him of the car and other valuables, they allegedly shot him twice.
After perpetrating the crime, the armed robbers reportedly fled from the scene in Tade’s vehicle. Read more
Sanwo-Olu Mourns Ex-UNILAG VC, Prof Ibidapo-Obe (Independent)
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has condoled with the family, friends and associates of Prof. Oyewusi Ibidapo-Obe, over the death of the former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos (UNILAG).
Ibidapo-Obe was also a Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of First Technical University, Ibadan in Oyo State.
Sanwo-Olu, in a condolence message signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Gboyega Akosile, on Monday, described the death of the renowned scholar and administrator as a colossal loss to the academia and the country, as a whole. Read more
Private sector warns of mass hunger, economic crisis over fresh lockdown (Punch)
The Manufacturers’ Association of Nigeria, the Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry and prominent economists on Monday assessed the country’s economic situation and concluded that another COVID-19 lockdown would unleash hunger and malnutrition on Nigerians.
The groups stated this in separate interviews with The PUNCH while reacting to a statement by the National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, who on Sunday said the Federal Government was considering all options, including lockdown, to battle the second wave of COVID-19.
Aliyu, who lamented rising COVID-19 cases in the country, said the virus infected 6,000 people in the last one week, while 33 died of the disease during the same period. Read more
ICC, human rights groups aggravating Nigeria’s security challenges, says govt (Thisday)
The federal government yesterday squared up to the International Criminal Court (ICC) and some human rights groups, notably Amnesty International, accusing them of frustrating efforts to tackle the nation’s security challenges.
It accused them of constituting themselves into another ‘fighting force’ against Nigeria, harassing security forces and threatening them with investigation and possible prosecution over alleged war crimes and human rights abuses.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, at a press conference in Lagos to review the achievements of the federal government in 2020, also faulted the position of those he described as “jaundiced analysts and their lapdogs,’’ who declared that Nigeria is a failing or failed state due to its security challenges. Read more
Atiku sold his shares, collected $5.4m balance from us – Intels (Punch)
Intels Nigeria Limited has explained why it severed ties with former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who was one of its major shareholders.
Intels said it severed ties with Atiku and his family after the former Vice President sold off his shares and exited the company in 2020, the statement titled ‘Intels severs ties with Atiku’ read.
In another statement, the Media Adviser to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Mazi Paul Ibe, said Atiku sold his shares in the company because the present administration was destroying the business. Read more
Nigeria’s debt to China hits $3.121bn (Sun)
Nigeria’s total indebtedness to China now stands at $3.121 billion, representing about 3. 69 per cent of its total loan stock of $84.574 billion.
This huge indebtedness comes amid China’s rising influence as major financier of a number of large ticket projects in Nigeria, including the $874 million, 187km Abuja-Kaduna rail, the $1.2 billion, 312km Lagos-Ibadan expressway, the $1.1 billion Kano-Kaduna railway lines and the $600 airport terminals in Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt and Kano.
China’s incursion into Nigeria’s economy followed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) both countries signed in 2006 on the establishment of a strategic partnership, the first for an African country.
This was further anchored on an oil-for-infrastructure arrangement, in which Chinese companies were offered first access to oil-processing licences. Read more
Boko Haram: 7 Killed, Soldiers Wounded In Chibok Village (DailyTrust)
At least 7 persons were killed including six soldiers when suspected Boko Haram insurgents attacked a military base in the southern part of Borno state on Sunday evening, sources said.
It was learnt that the terrorist stormed a military settlement in Kuda, near Chibok town at exactly 4:30 pm engaging troops in a gun battle killing 6 soldiers including a master warrant officer.
Zulum lays foundation of first private varsity in Borno
How fight against Boko Haram was mismanaged – DIG Uba Ringim (rtd)
A member of the vigilante group, Yohanna Bitrus said the attackers burnt down houses numbering 40 and carted away three vehicles after they had looted the whole community.
“They came in large number to attacks our soldier’s station in Kuda, they overpowered the soldiers and killed six soldiers and wounded 8 others.
“A woman was burnt in her house too.
“They equally burnt down more than 40 houses after they have looted the foodstuff and livestock. Read more
Coronavirus: Kenya reopens schools after nine months (BBC)
Millions of mask-wearing pupils in Kenya have returned to school nine months after they were closed to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The learners’ temperatures were checked and they were required to use sanitiser before entering classrooms.
There was excitement in most schools as the pupils were reunited, the BBC’s Ferdinand Omondi reports from Nairobi.
The authorities say efforts have been made to ensure that pupils and teachers will be safe. Read more
Biden steers clear of latest Trump attempt to overturn election as he campaigns in Georgia (CBC)
US president-elect Joe Biden is mostly steering clear of the controversy engulfing President Donald Trump’s final days in office, aiming to project the different approach to governing Americans can expect when he moves into the White House on Jan. 20.
Biden and his team have offered a muted response to Trump’s efforts to overturn the election, which reached a new level this past weekend when he pressured Georgia’s Republican secretary of state during a phone call to “find” enough votes to flip the state in his favour.
While some Democrats say Trump’s actions merit new impeachment proceedings, Biden has been more circumspect. Read more
Moscow metro hires women drivers after rule changes (BBC)
Moscow’s metro says it has hired its first female train drivers since controversial rules banning women from certain jobs were lifted last year.
The city’s transport department welcomed “the [Moscow metro’s] first female electric train drivers” on Sunday, likening it to a new era.
Twelve women joined the network in the Russian capital on 1 January 2021.
Moscow’s metro stopped hiring women drivers in the early 1980s. The last female driver left the service in 2014. Read more
England under new lockdown in response to highly transmissible coronavirus variant (CBC)
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday a new national lockdown for England until at least mid-February to combat a fast-spreading new variant of the coronavirus, even as Britain ramped up its vaccination program by becoming the first nation to start using the shot developed by Oxford University and drugmaker AstraZeneca.
Johnson said people must stay at home again, as they were ordered to do so in the first wave of the pandemic in March, this time because the new virus variant was spreading in a “frustrating and alarming” way. Read more
Barbara Shelley, Hammer Horror and ‘Doctor Who’ actress, dead at 88 (NYPost)
Christopher Lee and Barbara Shelley in 1966’s “Dracula: Prince of Darkness.”
Christopher Lee and Barbara Shelley in 1966’s “Dracula: Prince of Darkness.”©20thCentFox/Courtesy Everett
Barbara Shelley, the actress hailed as the “Queen of Hammer,” has died at the age of 88.
The actress was the star of 1950s and 1960s Hammer Horror films including “The Gorgon,” “Dracula: Prince Of Darkness” and “Rasputin: The Mad Monk.”
She also appeared in the “Doctor Who” episode “Planet Of Fire,” starring Peter Davison as the fifth Doctor.
Her agent, Thomas Bowington, said: “She really was Hammer’s number one leading lady and the Technicolor queen of Hammer. Read more
Apple working on foldable iPhone, report says (NYPost)
Apple is one step closer to making its long-rumored foldable iPhone a reality.
The Cupertino, California-based tech giant has reportedly asked manufacturer Foxconn to create two prototype shells to test out potential future iPhone designs.
The two designs will be very different, Tom’s Guide reports, with one featuring a large display that folds in half, while the other is two separate screens joined by a hinge.
It is unclear if Apple plans to put out a pair of foldable phones or if it is experimenting to find the best design. Read more
Original Black Eyed Peas singer responds to will.i.am’s claims the group ‘aren’t considered Black’ (Metro)
Original Black Eyed Peas singer Kim Hill has responded to will.i.am’s recent comments about the group not being ‘considered Black’ in light of their worldwide success. Soul singer Kim joined Black Eyed Peas in 1995 and performed as their frontwoman featuring on their first two albums, Behind The Front and Bridging The Gap. However, the musician quit the group in 2000 and her spot was later replaced by Fergie, who went on to enjoy global success with will.i.am, Taboo and apl.de.ap. Read more
Kumail Nanjiani’s new buff body sparks steroid, racism accusations (NYPost)
After posting a photo of himself looking ultra-ripped, actor Kumail Nanjiani became a trending topic on Twitter, a development which has some social-media watchdogs spreading unfounded steroid rumors — and others slamming the discourse as racist.
“Happy new year! I celebrated with a pandan tres leches cake from @marysmakeshop that made me rethink everything,” Nanjiani, 42, wrote beneath the Instagram picture he posted over the weekend modestly displaying his long sleeve shirt-covered biceps. “I only eat Pandan tres leches cakes from here on out.”
The innocuously captioned image has inspired an extensive commentary on social media regarding the comedian’s physical transformation, which he underwent for his role in Marvel’s upcoming “Eternals,” co-starring Angelina Jolie and Kit Harington. Read more
WAFU: Eaglets coach targets win against I’Coast (Punch)
Head coach of the Nigeria U-17 team, Fatai Amoo, is determined to start the WAFU B U-17 tournament with a win over Ivory Coast on Wednesday.
The five-time U-17 world champions landed in Lome, Togo, on Sunday and started preparations ahead of the two weeks tournament, which holds from January 5 to 20.
Speaking with thenff.com in Lome after training, Amoo said he was focused on getting a win in their opening game against the Baby Elephants at the Stade Municipal on Wednesday.
“We wanted the players to shake off the travel stress and get their bodies physically conditioned for the task ahead against Ivory Coast and the focus is to win the game,” Amoo told thenff.com. Read more
Tyson Fury dismisses Anthony Joshua’s KO threat and makes prediction for heavyweight clash (Metro)
Tyson Fury says Anthony Joshua’s knockout threat is merely a ‘lie’ and believes he knocks out his heavyweight rival ‘very early’. British fighters Fury and Joshua are set for a huge showdown fight in 2021, with talks ongoing to decide where the bout will take place. Joshua retained his WBA, IBF and WBO belts with an impressive victory over Kubrat Pulev in December and subsequently warned Fury he wanted to take his ‘head off his shoulders’ when they finally meet in the ring. Read more
Edinson Cavani ban: Uruguay players want Man Utd striker’s punishment overturned (BBC)
Uruguay’s players’ union has called on the Football Association to overturn Edinson Cavani’s three-match ban.
The Manchester United striker was fined £100,000 and banned for an Instagram post containing a Spanish word that is offensive in some contexts.
Luis Suarez and Diego Godin have both shared a statement by their national players’ union that calls the punishment a “discriminatory” act.
Uruguay’s Football Association (AUF) also wants the ban reviewed. Read more
Premier League and elite sport to continue in UK despite new lockdown rules (Metro)
Elite sport in the UK including the Premier League will be permitted to continue behind closed doors despite Prime Minister Boris Johnson announcing new lockdown restrictions on Monday evening. To combat the growing spread of coronavirus in the country, which has accelerated due to the new variant, the Prime Minister introduced new measures which are expected to last until mid-February. Sport came to a halt during the first lockdown last year but that will not be the case this time, with the Premier League and other elite sports having put rigorous testing regimes in place and created safe bubbles. Read more
Manchester City Women: 4 players test positive for Covid-19 (BBC)
Four Manchester City Women players have tested positive for Covid-19.
The club have not said if Saturday’s Women’s Super League home game against West Ham is likely to be postponed.
The men’s team had to call off their Premier League match at Everton last week because of coronavirus cases but it is understood there are no shared facilities between the teams.
Manchester City are fourth in the WSL, eight points behind leaders Manchester United.
The names of the four players concerned have not been disclosed. Read more
Arsenal chief Edu explains decision to loan William Saliba to Nice (Metro)
Arsenal have confirmed William Saliba’s loan move to Ligue 1 side Nice though technical director Edu insists the young defender still has a big future with the Gunners. The 19-year-old will return to France for the rest of the 2020/21 season having failed to make a first-team appearance for Arsenal, with a proposed summer loan back to Saint-Etienne having collapsed at the last minute. Despite arriving at Arsenal for a big fee and with a big reputation, Saliba struggled to adapt to life in England and failed to convince manager Mikel Arteta he was deserving of a run in the side. Read more