The Awele Creative Trust Award has announced its 2019 call for entries. Founded in 2013 by the NLNG Prize-winning novelist Chika Unigwe, the Short Story Award recognizes the best unpublished fiction by a writer aged between 16 and 26 and living in Nigeria, irrespective of nationality.
Previous winners include Caleb Adebayo in 2014, Nneoma Ike Njoku in 2015, Caleb Somtochukwu Okereke and Anthony Ezekwoh in 2016, and Imade Iyamu in 2017. The cash prize for 2019 has been extended beyond the usual N50,000 ($138)
- Previously published work is not eligible for the ACT award
- Only one story per author will be considered
- Only fictional work is eligible
- Works must be between 2,500 and 5,000 words
- Submissions should include a cover note with the name, date of birth, e-mail address and telephone number of the author
- Submissions should be made by e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Works translated into English from any Nigerian languages are eligible. Should such a work win, N20,000 of the prize money will go to the translator.
Deadline for submissions: 1 December 2019.