Court remands man for allegedly stabbing girlfriend to death (Punch)
An Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos has remanded a 25-year-old man, Victor Abasiama, for allegedly stabbing his girlfriend to death. The police charged Abasiama with murder.
The presiding magistrate, Mr W.A. Salam, who did not take the plea of Abasiama, ordered that the defendant should be remanded in the Ikoyi Correctional Centre pending the issuance of legal advice from the office of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Temitope Adegbie, had earlier told the court that Abasiama committed the offence on August 25, at Ebute Area in Ikorodu.
He alleged that Abasiama stabbed his 23-year-old girlfriend, Cynthia Edeya, with a knife on her head and stomach. Read more
Gridlock: Lagosians abandon roads for water transportation (DailyTrust)
Lagosians have opted for water transportation as a result of the chaotic gridlock that has characterised the commercial nerve centre of the country.
Indeed, it is now a nightmare to move from one end of the town to another, no thanks to the recent heavy rain, as well as the expansion of roads, which the state government has embarked on simultaneously
Mostly affected are residents in Ikorodu, Badore, Okokomaiko, Agbara and Badagry areas. In these areas, residents only access their offices and business places in areas like Lagos Island, Apapa, Victoria Island and Lekki through the very-busy Third Mainland Bridge, Ikorodu road and the Badagry-Mile 2 expressway.
The Lagos State Government simultaneously awarded the contract of the rehabilitation and expansion of major roads and drainages in the state to ease traffic, a situation that has compounded the situation.
The ongoing construction work on the expressway from Mile 2 to Okokomaiko has claimed many houses. Read more
Falana demands inquest into murder of 18-year-old admission seeker (Punch)
A human rights activist, Femi Falana (SAN), has requested a Lagos high court sitting in Ikeja to conduct a corona inquest into the circumstances surrounding the killing of an 18-year-old admission seeker, Monsura Ojuade.
Ojuade was reportedly in front of her parents’ house on Mogaji Street, Ijesha, Surulere, when some anti-robbery officers from the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Panti, Yaba, stormed the community around 11.30pm last Friday.
The policemen had reportedly raided the area and shot indiscriminately during which a bullet penetrated Ojuade’s two thighs.
She was said to have been rushed to a private hospital in the community but was rejected and later gave up the ghost. Read more
Why I took Baba Ijesha’s rape saga personal — Nkechi Blessing (Vanguard)
Controversial actress and social media sensation, Nkechi Blessing has finally revealed why she joined forces with Iyabo Ojo to call for justice for a girl allegedly molested by Baba Ijesha months back.
Recall that Baba Ijesha made headlines in the national dailies in April, after the Lagos State Police Command arrested him for allegedly sexually assaulting a 14-year-old foster daughter of a popular comedian, Princess.
Being a victim of attempted rape herself, Nkechi took the issue rather personally on social media.
Recounting her story in this week’s episode of # Chude, Nkechi said, “When I was about 16 or 17, I had this sister who I used to tell that I was a virgin but she would always say that I was lying because I was wild. Though my mum had a beer parlour as at that time, she was so strict with her kids that you couldn’t see them messing around.” Read more
Yousef, Angel, Liquorose, Saskay win N3.25m (Nation)
Yousef, Angel, Liquorose and Saskay have won N3.25 million.
The housemates won different amounts in the Piggyvest sponsored task on Thursday.
Yousef and Angel came third in the task with a total sum of N500, 000 each while Liquorose came second and won the prize money of N750,000.
Read Also: BBNaija Shine Ya Eye: Cross, Queen lose fish
Saskay, who had won several sums of monies in sponsored tasks, emerged the overall winner with N1.5 million. Read more
Major Abducted At NDA Finally Regains Freedom (DailyTrust)
Major CL Datong, who was abducted when bandits broke into the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna, last month, has regained freedom.
Two senior officers were gunned down in the incident which happened on August 24, 2021.
On Friday night, Deputy Director Army Public Relations 1 Division, Nigerian Army, Colonel Ezindu Idimah, said Datong was rescued by troops.
He said the operations leading to his rescue led to the destruction of several identified bandits’ camps in Afaka- Birnin Gwari areas of the state.
He said scores of bandits were killed during the operation, particularly, in the late hours of September 17, 2021. Read more
UN Food Forum appoints Brymo as champion (Independent)
Popular Nigerian singer, Brymo Olawale has been named UN’s World Food Forum (WFF) Champion to help in engaging and empower youth worldwide to find new, actionable, innovative, and inclusive solutions to current and future agri-food challenges.
The WFF Champions Programme mobilises young influential figures to increase the visibility and reach of WFF activities and issues related to agri-food systems. The programme is described as a vehicle to engage and empower youth worldwide to find new, actionable, innovative and inclusive solutions to current and future challenges.
WFF Champions are exceptional youth, helping to create a global movement in support of agri-food systems transformation and a better food future for all. WFF Champions are a group of young, handpicked change-makers who recognise the opportunity and catalytic power of social media to reach wide audiences and influence positive change. Read more
Tinubu commiserates with Ajimobi’s wife over mum’s death (ThisDay)
Former Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has commiserated with Mrs. Florence Ajimobi, wife of the former governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, over the passing of her mum, Mama Victoria Amudoaghan.
Mama Amudoaghan, a member of the Catholic Church of Nigeria, died on Tuesday.
Asiwaju Tinubu urged Mrs. Ajimobi to accept the death of her mum as the will of God, continue to remember Mama in her prayers and work to advance her good deeds.
In a condolence letter signed by Tinubu and released yesterday by his Media Office, the former Lagos governor said: “By way of this letter, please accept my deepest condolences over the recent passing of your mum, Mama Victoria Amudoaghan. Read more
Police dismiss 2 officers over assault in Delta (Vanguard)
The Police Command in Delta has dismissed two of its officers, over assault on a civilian.
The spokesman of the command, DSP Bright Edafe, disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen on Friday in Warri.
Edafe said the officers were Sgt. Felix Ebikabowei and Sgt. Ndubuisi Abazie, adding that until their dismissal, they were attached to the ‘B’ Division, Warri.
According to him, the Commissioner of Police (CP) in the state, Mr Ari Ali had also ordered the dismissed policemen to remain in custody at the State Criminal Investigation Department. Read more
Afghanistan: US admits Kabul drone strike killed civilians (BBC)
The US has admitted that a drone strike in Kabul days before its military pullout killed 10 innocent people.
A US Central Command investigation found that an aid worker and nine members of his family, including seven children, died in the 29 August strike.
The youngest child, Sumaya, was just two years old.
The deadly strike happened days after a terror attack at Kabul airport, amid a frenzied evacuation effort following the Taliban’s sudden return to power. Read more
China’s Xi warns of ‘interference’ as Australia brushes off anger (AlJazeera)
Australia’s Prime Minister Morrison said that the country’s defence spending will rise as the new alliance with the US and UK also requires greater investment in cyber capabilities, artificial intelligence, quantum technologies and undersea capabilities [File: Loren Elliott/Reuters]
18 Sep 2021
Chinese President Xi Jinping has warned against “interference from external forces” in the region, as Australia shrugged off Beijing’s growing anger about its decision to acquire US nuclear-powered submarines, and promised to defend the rule of law in airspace and waters where China has staked hotly contested claims.
In an address before the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on Friday, Xi urged heads of state to “absolutely resist external forces to interfere [in] countries in our region at any excuse, and hold the future of our countries’ development and progress firmly in our own hands”.
His comments followed the announcement of the United States, United Kingdom and Australia to form a security and defence partnership, and Australia’s decision to buy nuclear-powered submarines from the US. Read more
Washington, Baghdad agree to reduce US troops in Iraq (MEMO)
Baghdad and Washington agreed on reducing the US combat troops in two military bases in Iraq by the end of September, Anadolu Agency reports.
According to an Iraqi army statement on today, the decision was made during a meeting of the joint military committee in Baghdad on Thursday, which also considered shifting the international coalition in Iraq to a non-combatant role by the end of this year.
The troops will be reduced in the US bases in the western Anbar and northern Erbil provinces.
The statement also reiterated that the presence of the US and foreign troops in Iraq is based upon invitation by the Iraqi government. Read more
Abdelaziz Bouteflika: Former Algerian president dies aged 84 (BBC)
The former president of Algeria, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, has died after a long illness at the age of 84.
Bouteflika led the country for almost two decades, stepping down in 2019 after his bid for a fifth term in office led to massive street protests.
He played a key role in Algeria’s war of independence in the 1950s and 60s.
Then in 1999, as Algeria emerged from a brutal civil war that killed almost 200,000 people, he became president at the urging of the military. Read more
Lost film to get proper premiere 80 years after it was originally thought to have been destroyed by Nazis (Metro)
A film thought to have been destroyed by the Nazis has been restored and will get an official premiere 80 years on.
Stefan and Franciszka Themersons’ 1931 film Europa, described by the BFI as an ‘anti-fascist masterpiece’, has been discovered after it was apparently seized in Paris during the Second World War.
Based on Polish poet Anatol Stern’s work on the same, the film ‘utilises an incredible array of avant-garde film techniques; photograms, collages and repetitions to translate words into a montage of images and ideas that articulate the horror, inequality and moral decline that the artists witnessed from Poland, with Europe at the edge of a precipice,’ say the BFI. Read more
Pele: Brazil football legend ‘recovering well’ says daughter (BBC)
Brazilian football legend Pele is “recovering well” after being briefly readmitted to intensive care following a recent operation, his daughter says.
The 80-year-old had surgery to remove a tumour from his colon earlier this month and was released from intensive care on Wednesday.
Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital confirmed he was readmitted “as a preventative measure”.
“He is recovering well and within normal range,” Kely Nascimento said. Read more
Emma Raducanu reveals how she will handle her £1.8m fortune after US Open triumph (BBC)
Emma Raducanu insists she has no lavish plans to spend her newfound fortune and will leave her parents to handle the 1.8million she won as a result of her groundbreaking US Open triumph.
The British teenager has shot to global superstardom over the course of the last fortnight after creating British sporting history by becoming the first woman from these shores to win a grand slam event in 44 years.
Raducanu’s exploits were rendered all the more remarkable given she had to pre-qualify for the tournament, but blew her various opponents away, dropping not a single set en route to glory. Read more
Nets bringing in two-way contract hopeful Devontae Cacok (NYPost)
The Nets are filling out the final few spots on their training camp roster, expected to bring in young big man Devontae Cacok to compete for a job.
With camp starting Sept. 28 in La Jolla, Calif., Cacok won’t have to travel far. The 24-year-old spent his first couple of pro seasons with the Lakers on a two-way contract, and he’ll try to earn one now with the Nets. The move was first reported by The Athletic and confirmed by The Post.
Cacok — who at 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds, can play power forward or center — will sign the second of the Nets’ three Exhibit 10 deals, essentially a training camp invite. David Duke Jr. got the first, leaving just one. Read more
New Zealand abandons Pakistan cricket tour over ‘security alert’ (AlJazeera)
The New Zealand cricket team has called off its tour of Pakistan, minutes before the first match was due to begin in the Pakistani city of Rawalpindi, citing security concerns, both country’s cricket boards say.
New Zealand’s team was due to take on Pakistan in its first match on Pakistani soil for 18 years in Rawalpindi on Friday.
Minutes before the scheduled start of play, however, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) – the sport’s national board in that country – issued a statement saying it was “abandoning” the tour due to government security alert. Read more
Man City ready to return with Kane bid as early as January (Eurosport)
Manchester City have not given up in their pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane, according to ESPN. The Premier League champions spent all summer sniffing around the England captain, but reportedly never made an official bid. ESPN state that the move failed due to the fact that City failed to show any “serious intention” of an offer close to the £150 million that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy demanded. Pep Guardiola’s side are prepared to test Tottenham’s resolve once again in the winter transfer window – or at the end of the current campaign if that fails.
It’s no secret that Kane wanted to leave Spurs in search of silverware this summer, but his contract and (therefore) price tag kept him in north London. His playing style is arguably perfect for Guradiola’s Manchester City team as he likes to bring the wide forwards into play. It would essentially give City the England front three of Kane, Raheem Sterling and Jack Grealish. However, his age, price tag and injury history just doesn’t make sense for the Manchester club… especially when Erling Haaland is said to be available for a cut-price fee next summer. City need to forget Kane for now and make Haaland their priority. Read more