Court remands truck driver, owner over ‘involuntary manslaughter’ (Vanguard)
A Lagos High Court sitting in Igbosere yesterday remanded in Police custody a truck driver, Sodiq Okanlanwan, alongside the truck owner, Wasiu Lekan, who allegedly crushed three people to death.
Justice Mobolanle Okikiolu- Igihile made the order following Okanlanwan and Lekan’s arraignment for alleged involuntary manslaughter.
The duo is facing a three-count charge filed against them by the Lagos State government.
The Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo SAN told the court that the defendants committed the offences on July 26, 2020.
He said Okanlanwan, on July 26, at about 4 pm, on Oshodi Expressway, in Ilasamaja, ran over the victims, with his vehicle. Read more
Mompha sues EFCC for N5m over fresh arrest (Punch)
Internet personality, Ismaila Mustapha, alias Mompha, who is facing money laundering charges, has asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to compel the anti-graft agency to pay him N5m for what he termed his “unlawful re-arrest and detention.”
The PUNCH had reported that Mompha, who is answering N32bn fraud charges, was re-arrested last Friday when he went to the EFCC office in Ikoyi, Lagos to reclaim his five wristwatches, one Apple Air pod, one iPhone 8 mobile phone and one pair of sunglasses seized from him by the anti-graft agency since last year.
The visit followed a July 24 ruling by Justice Mohammed Liman ordering the release of the seized items on the grounds that the EFCC did not list them as exhibits in court. Read more
UNILAG VC Crisis: SSANU disowns branch chair for protest against VC’s removal (Vanguard)
The opposition by the workers of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), to the appointment of Prof. Theophilus Omololu Soyombo, as the Acting Vice Chancellor of the university by the Governing Council is now cracking, as the Non-Academic Staff Union (NASU), on Tuesday opted out of the stance of the workers.
NASU, in a statement endorsed by the UNILAG chapter Chairman, Kehinde Ajibade and T.S. Aderibigbe, the Chairman of the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, in Idi Araba, said they were no longer part of the decision faulting the removal of Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe… Read more
‘How we’ll correct federal character imbalance in Lagos’ (Nation)
The Commissioner representing Lagos State at the Federal Character Commission, (FCC) Abdulwasiu Kayode Bawa-Allah, has pledged to work with stakeholders in Lagos to correct federal character imbalance.
The Commissioner said it was unhealthy that indigenes of Lagos made up only about 11 per cent of the 10,000 employees on Grade Levels 1 to 6 working across over 120 federal organisations operating in the state.
According to him Lagos’ representation in the federal system was below the statutory 2.5 per cent. Read more
Lagos bye-elections: INEC gives notice to electorate (Vanguard)
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Lagos State, on Monday notified electorate of its readiness to conduct both the Lagos East Senatorial District and Kosofe State House of Assembly Constituency bye-elections on Oct. 31.
The INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mr Sam Olumekun made this known in a statement in Lagos.
Olumekun said that the notices would be served at the Lagos East Senatorial District and Kosofe State House of Assembly Constituency.
The commissioner, however, noted that this was in line with Section (30)3 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Read more
Blasphemy: Shari’ah Council wants Kano govt. to execute court judgement (Guardian)
The Supreme Council for Shari’ah in Nigeria, has urged Kano State Government to execute the court judgement that found a singer guilty for blasphemy.
In a statement signed by its Secretary General, Nafi’u Baba-Ahmad, Tuesday in Kaduna, the Shari’ah Council said executing the judgement will serve as deterrent to others.
It berated those calling for the pardon of the convict, and advised the Kano State Government not to be swayed by their antics. Read more
Buhari receives briefing on Mali crisis from Special envoy, Goodluck Jonathan (Guardian)
President Muhammadu Buhari Tuesday received his immediate predecessor in office, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, at State House, Abuja.
Dr Jonathan, who is ECOWAS Special Envoy to the Republic of Mali, briefed on the political situation in the West African country, as a corollary to efforts by West African leaders to restore stability to the country.
President Buhari and four other ECOWAS leaders had visited Bamako, Mali, last month, followed by a virtual extraordinary summit of the sub-regional body. Read more
INEC reacts to nullification of Bayelsa governorship election (Guardian)
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it may respond to some of the issues raised by the Bayelsa State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal when it is availed of the full judgment of the case.
The INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Festus Okoye, stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja.
The commission was reacting to the nullification of the state’s governorship election which produced Governor Duoye Diri.
Mr Okoye, however, noted that the Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party (ANDP) nomination for the election was invalid while the party did not exercise its right guaranteed in the Fourth Alteration to the constitution by filing its suit within 14 days of the accrual of the said right. Read more
Michelle Obama ‘VOTE’ necklace goes viral in DNC speech about the importance of voting (USAToday)
Former First Lady Michelle Obama gave a passionate speech on the first night of the Democratic National Convention focused on the importance of voting, and took that message down to the last little detail: A necklace that spelled “V-O-T-E.”
Obama highlighted how close the 2016 election was between President Donald Trump and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, saying maybe voters “were fed up. Maybe they thought the outcome wouldn’t be close. Maybe the barriers felt too steep. Whatever the reason, in the end, those choices sent someone to the Oval Office who lost the national popular vote by nearly 3,000,000 votes.”
She continued that if voters want to continue any “of these most basic requirements for a functioning society, we have to vote for Joe Biden in numbers that cannot be ignored.” Read more
Trump to pardon women’s voting pioneer Susan B Anthony (BBC)
President Donald Trump has said he will issue a posthumous pardon for women’s voting rights pioneer Susan B Anthony.
Making the announcement on Tuesday – the centennial anniversary of the 19th amendment, which granted US women the right to vote – Mr Trump said: “She was never pardoned. What took so long?”
Anthony was arrested in 1872 after illegally casting her vote. Read more
North Korea reportedly has up to 60 nuclear bombs in massive weapons stockpile (NYPost)
North Korea is believed to have between 20 and 60 nuclear bombs — as well as a 2,500- to 5,000-ton stockpile of 20 types of chemical weapons, the world’s third-largest, according to reports.
The US Department of the Army headquarters made the assessment in its recent report, titled “North Korean tactics,” saying Pyongyang is unlikely to give up the weapons in its bid to prevent a regime change, the South Korean Yonhap News Agency reported.
“Estimates for North Korean nuclear weapons range from 20-60 bombs, with the capability to produce 6 new devices each year,” the US Army said, noting that some reports state that the rogue regime could obtain as many as 100 by the end of 2020. Read more
Coronavirus: France to make face masks mandatory in most workplaces (BBC)
France is to make face masks compulsory in most workplaces as it grapples with a resurgence in coronavirus cases.
The new rule is likely to apply to all shared spaces in offices and factories where there is more than one employee present.
The measure is set to begin on 1 September. Individual offices will be exempt.
France has seen a sharp rise in coronavirus cases since July and masks are already widely used. Read more
Controversial trading app Robinhood now worth $11.2bn (NYPost)
Love it or hate it, Robinhood is now worth more than $11 billion.
The controversial trading app announced on Monday that it raised a new $200 million round of funding that now values the startup at $11.2 billion.
Robinhood’s newest windfall, its second major round this year, comes months after the app and its more than 10 million users help spark the so-called “Robinhood Rally” that saw retail investors push the market upwards by betting on cheap stocks that institutional traders on Wall Street had no interest in touching. Read more
Donald Trump retweets his response to the first day of the Democratic National Convention (USAToday)
President Donald Trump remained mum throughout most of the first night of the Democratic Party’s nominating convention on Monday, but unloaded in a series of retweets minutes after the final speaker, former first lady Michelle Obama, finished her remarks.
“My view of what life was like after the Obama presidency is much different than that of @MichelleObama,” tweeted Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a message that Trump’s twitter account quickly reposted after Obama finished speaking.
Democrat after Democrat pounded Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic and the economy as well as its pugilistic approach to governing – the kind of criticism that rarely, if ever, goes unanswered from Trump. But the president’s response fell along mainly familiar lines: Suggesting Joe Biden would further stifle the economy by raising taxes and ushering in liberal policy prescriptions. Read more
Pandit Jasraj: A ‘huge pillar of Indian music has fallen’ (BBC)
Tributes are pouring in for Indian classical music legend Pandit Jasraj, who has died at the age of 90.
The singer died at his home in the US on Monday after suffering a cardiac arrest.
He enthralled audiences across the world with his soulful performances for more than seven decades.
The maestro also wrote music for some Bollywood films but he will mostly be remembered for making Indian classical music popular across the world.
He was in the US when India went into a lockdown in March to halt the spread of coronavirus. He chose to stay back until travel restrictions were lifted, his family said. Read more
Nigeria’s John Obi Mikel joins Stoke City (Guardian)
Former Nigeria Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, has joined Championship side Stoke City as their fourth signing of the summer.
Stoke City manager Michael O’Neill on Monday told the club’s official website that he was delighted to have been able to convince Mikel to come over to help their promotion push back to the Premier League having failed in that bid last season.
“We’re delighted to bring John to the Club. His playing career speaks for itself and underlines his calibre as a player.
“I was really impressed with him when we met for the first time and he outlined what he wants from the next phase of his career.”
“We spent four hours talking and he made it clear he wants to get back into the Premier League and finish his career there and hopefully he can do that with Stoke City.” Read more
South Africa unable to tour England in September over travel restrictions (BBC)
South Africa women will not tour England next month because of coronavirus travel restrictions.
The Proteas had been set to play two Twenty20s and four one-day internationals in England in September.
A tri-series had also been proposed for the summer but India withdrew in July because of similar restrictions.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) says it is determined to play some women’s cricket this year and is in talks with several boards.
West Indies are understood to be keen to replace South Africa. Read more
Barcelona fire Eric Abidal as director (Punch)
Barcelona have sacked Eric Abidal as sporting director, the club announced in a statement on Tuesday, a day after dismissing coach Quique Setien.
“FC Barcelona and Eric Abidal have reached an agreement for the ending of the contract that united them,” the club said on its website.
Like Setien, Abidal, a former French international defender, has paid the price after Barca ended a season of internal conflict by surrendering the La Liga title to Real Madrid and then suffering a humiliating 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League. Read more
Rose Lavelle: Manchester City sign USA World Cup winner (BBC)
World Cup winner Rose Lavelle says the “idea of playing in the Champions League and competing for so many titles” played a role in her move to Manchester City.
The United States midfielder joined OL Reign this week from Washington Spirit but immediately signed an agreement to play outside the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL).
OL Reign will control Lavelle’s future playing rights in the American league.
“It will be a fun challenge,” she said.
“The [Women’s Super League] is a great league that keeps getting better every year. It is attracting a lot of really great players,” Lavelle told BBC Sport. Read more
De Gea shrugs off criticism, says he is still safe pair of hands (Guardian)
David de Gea says he has faith in his abilities despite a torrent of criticism in recent months and questions over whether he should remain Manchester United’s first-choice goalkeeper.
The 29-year-old Spanish international’s position has come under increasing pressure due to the form shown by Dean Henderson on loan at Premier League rivals Sheffield United.
The 23-year-old Englishman is believed to have told United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer he will seek a move away if he is not given the number one spot.
Chelsea are reportedly keen to sign Henderson as they seek to offload Kepa Arrizabalaga. His understudy Willy Caballero is 39. Read more
Veron draws parallel with Sanchez spell at Old Trafford (Vanguard)
Juan Sebastian Veron thinks Man Utd flop Alexis Sanchez has had “ups and downs” at Old Trafford like he did, while he also thinks the Chilean is suited to Serie A more than the Premier League.
Former Argentina international, Veron, arrived at Old Trafford from Lazio in 2001 for a £28.1million fee. However, his time at Man Utd only lasted two years and 51 Premier League appearances before an even less fruitful spell at Chelsea.
Sanchez joined Man Utd in a part-exchange deal from Arsenal – where he was a success – with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving the other way. But the forward struggled immensely at Old Trafford, scoring just five goals for the club in 45 appearances. Read more