COVID-19: Police arrest 175 suspects for trading, partying in Lagos (Nation)
At least 175 suspects have been arrested by the police in Lagos for alleged violation of the social distancing and curfew directives of government, the command said on Monday.
The suspects who were arrested between Friday and Sunday were alleged to have either organised parties, religious gathering, traded at open markets or breached the dusk-to-dawn curfew put in place to contain further spread of the novel Coronavirus disease, COVID-19.
Parading some of the suspects at the command headquarters, Police Commissioner Hakeem Odumosu said 95 were traders apprehended at Ilepo Market around 10am on Sunday for operating in violation of the lockdown relaxation guidelines. Read more
Policeman’s, commercial cyclist’s corpses recovered in Lekki-Epe expressway accidents (Guardian)
Lagos State Emergency Management Authority (LASEMA) Response Team said it has recovered remains of victim of a “Hit and Run accident” at Marwa, along Lekki-Epe expressway, where an unidentified vehicle flee the incident scene immediately the accident occurred.
The deceased, an Officer of the Nigerian Police Force named Paul Omaji, in mufti, was found dead at Marwa along Lekki-Epe expressway where he was reportedly knocked down by an unidentified vehicle which ran into the officer on his way to resume his duty.
Preliminary Report on the Hit and run incident at Marwa along Lekki-Epe expressway has it that, ” On arrival at the incident scene, an Officer named Paul Omaji was found dead at the aforementioned address. Read more
COVID-19: Lagos-based doctor tests positive in Osun (Punch)
A Lagos-based medical doctor, who came into Osun State on Saturday to be with his family has tested positive to coronavirus.
A statement on Monday by the State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, also disclosed that on arrival in the state, the said doctor checked into our Isolation Centre at Asubiaro, Osogbo.
Isamotu said the doctor suspected that he had been infected with the virus and checked himself into the State Isolation and Treatment Centre at Asubiaro, Osogbo where his sample was immediately taken and sent for testing at the NCDC accredited Testing Centre in Ede. Read more
We’ve not issued 5G license to any operator – NCC (Vanguard)
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has maintained that it has not issued 5G license to any operator in the country.
The Commission in a statement on Monday signed by the Director of Public Affairs, Mr. Henry Nkemadu was reacting to a statement making rounds in the social media sites that the Nigerian Telecoms industry is going to switch on 5G in Lagos this Sunday 10th, Monday 11th or Tuesday 12th May 2020.
The Commission, while dismissing the report insisted that the statement which came from faceless sponsors cannot be further from the truth, wondering why people would continue to misinform the public after it had provided clarification on the lying of fibre optic cables within Lagos and other parts of the country.
Recall that the NCC had in November 2019 approved trial test for 5G for a period of three (3) months and that the trial has been concluded and installation decommissioned. Read more
Borno discharges 12 COVID-19 patients, awaits results of 22 others (Guardian)
The Borno State high-powered committee on coronavirus (COVID-19); has discharged 12 patients with the await results of 22 others.
This brings a total of 14 discharged patients by the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH), Maiduguri.
Confirming the discharge of patients Sunday in Maiduguri, Chairman of Committee, Umar Kadafur, who doubles as Deputy Governor disclosed that; “Out of 12 discharged patients, six were released by UMTH isolation centre; while the remaining six were from Bulabulin Ngaranam
According to him, twenty-two patients are currently awaiting the results of their final tests. Read more
COVID-19: Irate youths beat up mobile court judges in Taraba (DailyTrust)
Irate youths on Monday beat up judges of a mobile court for motorists that refused to comply with the lockdown orders in Taraba State. The mobile court, which sat at the Dubeli bridge along Wukari- Jalingo road at Tella town in Gassol local government of Taraba State, was disrupted when the youths attacked the judges. The judges, three in number, were beaten by the youths said to be numbering up to 20. Taraba govt announces total lockdown over COVID-19 spread COVID-19: Mobile courts prosecute 311 Daily Trust gathered the judges had to run into a nearby sugarcane farm for cover. Read more
Kalu remains in prison, no order to release him (Nation)
A former Governor of Abia State, Mr. Orji Uzor Kalu has remained in Kuje Prison because the judgement of the Supreme Court does not affect him.
The Apex Court, it was learnt, did not issue any order for Kalu’s release because he did not file any application for such.
The judgement only covers the Appellant, Mr. Ude Jones Udeogu, who challenged the propriety of a Court of Appeal Judge, Justice Mohammed Idris to try him. Read more
COVID-19: Ondo records first death (Vanguard)
One of the 16 COVID 19 patients in Ondo state died on Monday in Akure, the state capital.
The case of the deceased was the first death recorded in the state since the outbreak of the pandemic.
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu who disclosed this during his weekly briefing said that the deceased was “a patient with a renal condition.
He noted that “In spite of the border lockdown, the deceased arrived Ipe Akoko, Akoko southeast local Government area on the 27th April 2020. Read more
Man who lost his right testicle to cancer celebrates the birth of miracle baby (Metro)
In 2017, Joseph Kelley Hook, 29, was due to marry his civil servant partner Rachel, 30, before he started a new job as a local newspaper journalist. His life seemed mapped out. But after feeling agonising pain in his groin during a run and seeing that his right testicle had tripled in size, Joseph knew something was very wrong. He was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Fortunately, Joseph’s positive attitude, great medical help and Rachel’s unerring support saw him defeat the cancer. After the long journey, Joseph thought he wouldn’t be able to have kids. Read more
Jerry Stiller, comedian and Seinfeld actor, dies at 92 (CBC)
Comedy veteran Jerry Stiller, who launched his career opposite wife Anne Meara in the 1950s and re-emerged four decades later as the hysterically high-strung Frank Costanza on the smash television show Seinfeld, died at 92, his son Ben Stiller announced Monday.
He died of natural causes, his son — a comedy star himself — said in a tweet.
Jerry Stiller was a multi-talented performer who appeared in an assortment of movies, playing Walter Matthau’s police sidekick in the thriller The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and Divine’s husband Wilbur Turnblad in John Waters’ twisted comedy Hairspray. Read more
Iran navy ‘friendly fire’ incident kills 19 sailors in Gulf of Oman (BBC)
Nineteen sailors have been killed and 15 others injured in an accident involving Iranian naval vessels in the Gulf of Oman, Iran’s navy has said.
Iranian media reported that the support ship Konarak was hit by a new anti-ship missile being tested by the frigate Jamaran during an exercise on Sunday.
The Konarak had been putting targets out in the water and remained too close to one, according to the reports. Read more
Man proposes for second time after wife’s coronavirus recovery (NYPost)
This is the heartwarming moment a Michigan man dropped down on one knee to propose to his wife for the second time as she was being wheeled out of a hospital after recovering from the coronavirus.
Geno and Rheamie Crenshaw had planned to renew their vows for their 17th anniversary in October – but she fell ill with the deadly virus in March and ended up in the intensive care unit at Beaumont Hospital in Dearborn, according to Gander Newsroom.
Rheamie, 49, a mother-of-three from Detroit who has a history of asthma and diabetes, developed bilateral pneumonia and almost went into cardiac arrest before her condition stabilized after a week in intensive care.
When Geno found out his wife finally beat the bug, he decided to present her with a square-cut diamond ring when she emerged in a wheelchair – a sweet moment that was captured on video. Read more
South Korea faces second wave of coronavirus (DailyTrust)
South Korea on Monday said it had recorded 35 new coronavirus infections in 24 hours, the highest rise in four weeks, as it tries to avoid a second wave of infection.
Most new infections were linked to an outbreak in clubs in the popular nightlife quarter of Itaweon in the capital, Seoul.
Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said the top priority is to minimise the spread of infections in the area surround Seoul. Meanwhile, 86 infections had been linked to the Itaewon club scene. Read more
Saudi Arabia’s additional output cuts fuel oil price rally (RT)
Crude prices reversed early trading losses and finally advanced on Monday as Saudi Arabia ordered its state oil giant to slash production by 1 million barrels per day in addition to cuts agreed to by the OPEC+ deal.
Futures for US oil rose over one percent, with West Texas Intermediate (WTI) for June delivery trading above $25 a barrel after losing three and a half percent in earlier action. Global benchmark Brent jumped 0.4 percent to more than $31 per barrel amid choppy trading, before erasing most of the gains.
The moves in the oil market come as Saudi Arabia, which was hit hard by low prices for the commodity, said it would further slash production in June. The “voluntary cuts,” announced by the kingdom’s Ministry of Energy, will wipe out an extra 1 million barrels per day (bdp) from the market. The new caps bring total Saudi production to around 4.8 million bpd from April’s production level. Read more
Jill Ellis should be England’s main target, says Eniola Aluko (BBC)
Former United States manager Jill Ellis is the best candidate to replace Phil Neville as England boss, says former international Eniola Aluko.
But Aluko says the Football Association must be prepared to pay Ellis – who won back-to-back World Cups with the USA in 2015 and 2019 – the same as England men’s boss Gareth Southgate.
Neville will step down when his contract ends in the summer of 2021.
“She has that pedigree and she has that experience,” Aluko told Sky Sports. Read more
Sharapova implores fans to say no to donuts and try home workouts instead (RT)
Maria Sharapova has reinforced her fitness message in her latest solo session from Florida, urging her audience to maintain physical discipline while admitting that she’d “much rather eat all day” than endure tough conditioning.
While her millions of followers around the world have faced new routines under lockdown, Sharapova has conceded that even top tennis stars used to the grueling demands of the tour can find maintaining their fitness a slog.
The ex-Grand Slam winner might have expected an easier life when she surprised many of her admirers by retiring from the sport in February. But the necessity of training alone has seen her return to intense workouts under the virtual watch of celebrity trainer Tracy Anderson. Read more
Kyle Walker: Man City defender apologises to fans for coronavirus lockdown breach (BBC)
Manchester City defender Kyle Walker has written to some of the club’s supporters to apologise for breaking coronavirus lockdown guidelines twice.
Walker put a message on social media on Friday detailing how he had travelled to South Yorkshire to visit his sister and parents at different addresses, and said he felt “harassed” by the media.
He received at least one message personally, as well as others via the club, from fans expressing displeasure and got in touch with supporters after accepting his actions were wrong. Read more
Benfica’s Tavares tests positive for coronavirus (Guardian)
Portugal’s reigning champions Benfica have confirmed that midfielder David Tavares tested positive for coronavirus on Friday, taking the tally for positive cases to at least eight players in Primeira Liga.
The Portugese top flight is planning to restart behind closed doors towards the end of the month after the government announced on April 30 that games could resume, pending approval from the health authorities.
Benfica said 21-year-old Tavares, who is not a regular first-team player, was asymptomatic and in quarantine. His positive test comes after Vitoria Guimaraes confirmed three positive cases on Saturday and Moreirense one more. Read more
Thomas Partey admits Atletico Madrid players ‘suffered’ during first training session (Metro)
Thomas Partey admits Atletico Madrid players ‘suffered’ and found it ‘difficult’ adhering to social distancing guidelines during their first training session back at the weekend. La Liga, like the vast majority of Europe’s top leagues, was put on hold back in March due to the coronavirus crisis and lockdown measures were introduced in Spain to help curb the spread of the outbreak. However, the rules have gradually been lifted and teams in Spain have been allowed to join up for training once again in the lead-up to a proposed restart in June. Partey admits Atleti’s squad ‘suffered’ during the session (Picture: Getty) But with over 220,000 cases and 26,000 deaths in the country, footballers must be rigorously tested before sessions and social distancing guidelines have to be maintained. Read more
Premier League can resume next month, says UK govt (Punch)
Elite sport in England could start behind closed doors from June 1, according to government guidelines published on Monday, boosting Premier League clubs’ hopes of completing their season.
The government’s road map for exiting the coronavirus lockdown sets out the conditions under which various activities could be safely carried out.
Step two of the process, which cannot begin any earlier than June 1, includes “permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact”. Read more