COVID-19: Sanwo-Olu vows to re-impose total lockdown if residents continue to violate guidelines (Vanguard)
The Lagos State Government says it will not hesitate to re-impose total lockdown in the state if residents continue to violate guidelines on the easing of the COVID-19 lockdown.
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu made the announcement on Saturday while giving an update on the management of COVID-19 and review of the lockdown in the state.
On May 4, Lagos State commenced a gradual easing of the lockdown imposed on the state as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Lagos, the economic hub of Nigeria is the city most affected by the coronavirus in the country. Read more
Social distancing: Crowded banks, bus stops as lockdown eases in Lagos, FCT (Punch)
Like a flock of birds that had been expecting freedom, many residents of Lagos State and the Federal Capital Territory trooped out of their homes on Monday after about six weeks of lockdown occasioned by the coronavirus pandemic.
Bus stops witnessed many passengers going to their various offices; gridlock was seen on major highways that had been deserted all this while; bank premises were filled to the brim.
“I had to go to the bank to report a failed transaction; I wanted to use a POS (Point of Sale) machine at a store three weeks into the lockdown. The transaction failed but my account was debited. Read more
Lagos warns firms against breach of COVID-19 guidelines at building sites (Guardian)
The Lagos State Government, yesterday, warned construction firms against breaching additional guidelines provided to curtail the spread of the Coronavirus on all construction sites in the state. Government noted that any defaulting construction site would be shut down.
Further to the directives of the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu on the gradual and controlled easing of the lockdown, which was introduced in the wake of the pandemic, the State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development announced additional guidelines for construction sites. Read more
COVID-19 Donations: Lagos Assembly issues clarification, commends Sanwo-Olu (Vanguard)
The Lagos State House of Assembly has described the efforts of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and his team in the fight against the spreading COVID-19 pandemic as worthwhile.
The House, which commended the Executive Arm for its cooperation and unity of purpose, said at this period of a major health crisis, it can only take a passionate person like the Governor, with the needed support of the state’s lawmakers, to keep things running. Read more
Fulani community demands justice over burning of settlement (DailyTrust)
The Fulani community in Okpanam town, Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State has appealed to security agencies to properly investigate the burning of their settlement and bring the perpetrators to justice.
The leader of Fulani residents in the area, Abubakar Haruna, said youths from the community invaded their camp and destroyed property on the presumption that they were responsible for the killing of some vigilante members. While appealing to the government to provide them security, Haruna said they were law abiding citizens who would never contemplate taking the law into their hands no matter the level of provocation. Read more
Retired civil servants allege pressure to pay N.2m before pension, gratuities (DailyTrust)
Some retired permanent secretaries and other civil servants in Cross River State have alleged that they are being pressurised by some officials in the accountant general’s office to pay N200,000 each before their pensions and gratuities are processed. A group of retired permanent Secretaries is said to have concluded arrangements to take the matter before the Industrial Arbitration Court in Calabar.
For fear of persecution and denial of their rights, the retirees have pleaded not to be named. They lamented that they cannot even feed or pay their bills and so could not raise such amount to pay those handling their files in the attorney general’s office. Read more
COVID-19: 147 stranded Nigerians await evacuation in South Africa (Nation)
There are about 147 Nigerians stranded in South Africa due to the global Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic awaiting evacuation, it was learnt.
This number is beside others who had signified interest to return to Nigeria.
The stranded Nigerians in South Africa comprises of students research work, those who went for conferences, holiday, medicals and business but for the global lockdown they are still there and are eager to go back home.
South Africa is Africa worst hit by the pandemic with over 8,895 confirmed cases and about 200 deaths. Read more
COVID-19: UK, Nigeria repatriate nationals (DailyTrust)
The British High Commission has confirmed that over 250 British nationals were evacuated from Nigeria to the UK on Friday on a special return charter flight organised between the UK and Nigerian governments.
It was the eighth repatriation flight organised by the British High Commission for Brits who opted to return from Nigeria since all airports in Nigeria were closed to international commercial flights on March 23, the commission stated. The commission also confirmed that over 200 Nigerians returned from London’s Heathrow via the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos. Read more
Coronavirus: Number of global cases rises above four million (BBC)
More than four million confirmed cases of coronavirus have been reported around the world, according to data collated by Johns Hopkins University.
The global death toll has also risen to above 277,000.
The US remains the worst-hit country, accounting for over a quarter of confirmed cases and a third of deaths.
Experts warn the true number of infections is likely to be far higher, with low testing rates in many countries skewing the data. Read more
France prepares to ease Covid-19 lockdown (France24)
On Thursday, the French government confirmed that the country will begin a “gradual” easing of its Covid-19 lockdown measures on Monday, May 11. Here’s everything you need to know about the restrictions being lifted.
After eight weeks in lockdown, France is set to enter a new phase on Monday, as the government begins a “very gradual process” of easing restrictions on movement, businesses and schools.
The partial reopening comes as more than 26,000 people have died of Covid-19 in France, while more than 22,000 people are still in hospital being treated for the virus. The number of patients in intensive care, like the number of hospitalisations overall, has been in steady decline for close to a month, but remains high at more than 2,800 – comparable to the figure in late March. Read more
Coronavirus: Obama calls US response ‘chaotic disaster’ (BBC)
Former US President Barack Obama has strongly criticised his successor Donald Trump over his response to the coronavirus crisis.
In a private conference call, he called the US handling of the pandemic “an absolute chaotic disaster”.
Mr Obama has said he wants to play a larger role supporting Joe Biden in the presidential election in November.
His new remarks were made in a call meant to encourage former staff to work for Mr Biden’s campaign, CNN reports. Read more
He cleans ‘COVID rooms’ in the ICU – and keeps dying patients company (CBC)
When the pandemic began, LeBlanc was tasked with cleaning his hospital’s ICU and what he calls the “COVID rooms”, where people with confirmed cases stay. First, he tears the curtains down. Then he deep cleans the walls, beds, wires, the washroom and every counter top.
“It’s not easy for anybody to do this job,” said LeBlanc, a cleaner at Southlake Regional Health Centre, in Newmarket, Ont., north of Toronto. “I’m scared … but I also make sure that I wear what I’m supposed to wear and I focus on what I’m doing.”
LeBlanc is an essential part in the fleet of workers cleaning up COVID-19 germs, to help contain outbreaks and keep the virus from spreading to others. Read more
Coronavirus: Elon Musk vows to move Tesla factory in lockdown row (BBC)
Elon Musk, the billionaire owner of electric car company Tesla, is embroiled in a row over reopening its California-based factory
Billionaire Tesla boss Elon Musk has said he will move the electric carmaker’s headquarters out of California, after he was ordered to keep its only US vehicle plant closed.
“Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately,” the CEO tweeted. Read more
COVID spread may put Native Americans at Increased Risk Of Violence (VOA)
Concern is growing that the COVID-19 pandemic may be putting some Native American families at increased risk for violence and sexual assault.
“Our town’s pretty small, and you can hear cops running from one end to the other,” said T.J. Whirlwind Soldier, a member of the Sicangu Oyate, one of seven tribes of the Lakota Nation.
He was speaking about Mission, a small town on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota, where the population hovers around 1,200 and where unemployment and poverty rates are high. Read more
Ejaria switches from England to Nigeria’s Super Eagles (DailyTrust) On-loan Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria has switched his international allegiance from England to Nigeria. Ejaria was born to Nigerian parents in London and went on to develop his game in the Arsenal academy for nine years before joining Liverpool as a 16-year-old. The midfielder previously trained with the Nigeria U17 team in 2013 before making his debut appearance for the England U20 side in October 2016. Read more
‘Hosting World Cup will unite country’ after virus – South Africa Netball chief Molokwane (BBC)
Netball South Africa president Cecilia Molokwane has told the BBC that hosting the 2023 World Cup will unite the country after the Covid-19 crisis, describing her own battle with coronavirus as the “worst period” of her life.
South Africa won hosting rights for the 2023 Netball World Cup last year.
Planning for the event is already well underway with Cecilia Molokwane at the heart of the preparations, but in recent weeks she has had to focus on her recovery from Covid-19. Read more
Tunji Brown: Our goal is to kit Super Eagles (Nation)
A lawyer and football lover, Tunji Brown blazed the trail in indigenous sportswear manufacturing in Nigeria about 12 years ago. Faced with expected challenges, Owu Sportswear, his firm, has surmounted to kit a good number of NPFL teams, the NPFL All Star team and the Handball and Squash national teams, writes Taiwo Alimi.
Speaking with Sport & Style recently, the staunch supporter of 3SC from childhood when it was called IICC Shooting Stars said his love for the round leather game led him to sportswear production. “I’ve always love sport, football in particular. And I’ve always loved been a lawyer. But, my coming into sportswear business is not accidental. It was based on my love for the round leather game. Read more
Newcastle takeover: Moral values should prevail, Khashoggi’s fiancee says (BBC)
Newcastle United and the Premier League must put moral values ahead of financial gains, says the fiancee of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund looks set to finance 80% of a £300m takeover of the club.
Khashoggi was killed in 2018 with Western intelligence agencies believing that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the murder – which he denies.
“Moral values should prevail,” Hatice Cengiz told BBC 5 Live. Read more
2014 World Cup: Nobody demanded bribe from Obasi, says Alaiya (Punch)
Former media officer of the Super Eagles, Ben Alaiya, has debunked claims by Chinedu Obasi that he was asked to pay bribe to make the squad to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Obasi, who did not name the official that asked him for money, said he refused paying the bribe because he didn’t feel comfortable doing it and was thus excluded from the World Cup squad.
Reacting to the allegations, Alaiya, who was the team’s spokesman, asked the ex-Eagles star to name those who demanded money from him to make the squad.
“Let’s drop this foolery. Obasi was dropped because he had a knee injury. I was the (Eagles) media officer then. Let him name those who demanded bribe from an injured player. My name is Ben Alaiya and I hate cheap blackmail,” Alaiya stated on a WhatsApp platform NSM. Read more
Bundesliga: Dynamo Dresden’s entire squad in isolation just a week before restart (BBC)
Dynamo Dresden, who play in the second tier of German football, have put their entire squad and coaching staff into two-week isolation after two players tested positive for coronavirus.
The Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 are due to restart on Saturday, 16 May.
It is set to be the first European league to restart following the coronavirus shutdown.
“The fact is that we can neither train nor participate in a game in the next 14 days,” said Dynamo. Read more