Davido: Autopsy likely as police free 6 workers, detain 2 (Punch)
There are indications that the police might conduct an autopsy to determine whether Ifeanyi Adeleke, son of popular music artiste, Davido, and his fiancée, Chioma Rowland, died as a result of drowning in a swimming pool at his father’s residence in the Banana Island area of Lagos State.
An impeccable source, who confirmed the development, said it was standard practice for the police to conduct an autopsy in such a case, adding, however, that the police would desist from the move if the deceased family members were against it.
“Though the family members are not saying anything yet because they are still in shock but until anybody says stop, the standard procedure is to conduct an autopsy and we are going to follow that procedure just like in any case of death,” the source said.
Explaining further, the source said out of the eight domestic workers interrogated by the police in connection with Ifeanyi’s death, the cook and nanny, whose job was to cater for the wellbeing of the three-year-old boy, had been detained for reasons including the failure to uphold the duty of care of the minor. Read more
Fire guts Tejuoso market in Lagos (Sun)
The clothing and tailoring materials section of the ultra modern Tejuosho market in Yaba, Lagos was gutted by fire on Tuesday, few hours after a building in Victoria Island got burnt.
The Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Response Management Agency (LASEMA), Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, who confirmed the fire incident yesterday said his men responded swiftly and were able to contain the situation before it escalated.
“Our team is on the ground,” he said. “There have been no casualties so far. We are on top of the situation,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
The Director, Lagos Fire and Rescue Service, Margaret Adeseye, in an update via Twitter, said the fire gutted the “Tailor Market behind the ultra modern Tejuosho Market, Yaba, Lagos.” Read more
23-year-old mechanic disappears, family seeks help (Punch)
A Lagos resident, Babatunde Banjoko, has cried out following the disappearance of his brother, Adewale.
The 23-year-old mechanic was said to have left his parents’ house at Igando in the Alimosho area of Lagos State on October 14 and never returned home.
Babatunde told our correspondent that the family, which had been disturbed by the incident, reported a case of a missing person at the Igando Police Station.
He said, “I gave them the necessary information they requested except for his picture that I am taking there later. Read more
Lagos police nab 51-year-old man for kidnap, rescue victims (Guardian)
Lagos State Police Command has paraded 51-year-old Austin Kanu for abducting four teenage boys. Spokesperson for the Command, Benjamin Hundeyin said preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect lured the victims from Ogba and Agege to Surulere.
According to him, operatives of Surulere Division rescued the victims: 16-year-old Toheeb; 16 year-old Isaac; 16-year-Old Chukwuma and 18-year-old Idowu (surnames withheld) on October 29, 2022 at about 8:10p.m. in an isolated place within the National Stadium, Surulere by the Chief Security Officer of the stadium, who was on routine patrol and then alerted the police.
He said: “Their parents when contacted confirmed that the boys had been missing since the early hours of October 29, 2022.
“Suspect will be arraigned at the conclusion of ongoing investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police (CP) Abiodun Alabi has enjoined Nigerians to be vigilant and report any suspicious happening to security agencies.” Read more
Sanwo-Olu appoints perm sec, redeploys 4 others (Punch)
The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has approved the appointment of the Director of Lands at the Ministry of Housing, Mrs Olayinka Patunola-Ajayi, as a Permanent Secretary with her immediate deployment to the Ministry of Waterfront Infrastructure Development.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by the state Head of Service, Mr Hakeem Muri-Okunola, on Tuesday, adding that four other Permanent Secretaries were also redeployed.
Muri-Okunola said, “The appointment was in line with the present administration’s resolve to continually strengthen the state public service towards achieving excellence in the quality of service delivery. Read more
EFCC nabs kogi Assembly candidate with N326m, $610,500 cash(Guardian)
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arrested the Kogi State House of Assembly candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party, NNPP, Ismaila Yusuf Atumeyi with N326million and $140,500 cash.
Atumeyi who is seeking to represent Ankpa 11 Constituency in the Kogi State House of Assembly was arrested on Sunday, October 30, 2022 alongside one Joshua Dominic, an alleged serial fraudster, in a sting operation at Macedonia Street, Queens Estate, Karsana, Gwarinpa, Abuja.
Also arrested in connection with the Fraud is Abdumalik Salau Femi, a former bank employee, who allegedly supplied the inside information that facilitated the attack on the bank by the syndicate.
EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, said Femi was picked up today, November 1, 2022, at Radisson Blu Hotel in Lagos.
“Following his arrest, a search was conducted on his home in Morgan Estate, Ojodu where a total of $470,000 USD was recovered. Read more
Makinde inaugurates projects as GCIOBA marks 93rd anniversary (ThisDay)
Governor Seyi Makinde has lauded the roles played by stakeholders such as old students’ associations in collaborating with his administration to reposition the education sector in the state.
Makinde, while speaking at the inauguration of some projects to mark the 93rd anniversary of Government College, Ibadan (GCI) and the annual reunion of the old boys’ association (GCIOBA), said with the array of projects in the college, he was satisfied with the decisions of
his administration to hand over the management of the college to its old boys’ association.
The projects include a block of administrative offices, a standard lawn tennis court and an ultra-modern mosque.
He challenged other old boys’ associations to imitate the GCIOBA, which has helped the college to achieve its fullest potential. Read more
Pregnant woman seeks N30k monthly from ex-hubby (DailyTrust)
A pregnant woman, Ummulkhairi Salisu, on Tuesday, prayed to a Sharia court sitting at Magajin Gari, Kaduna, Kaduna State, to order her former husband, Hassan Malam, to pay her N30,000 monthly as care allowance.
The complainant, through her counsel, Malam N.T. Abdullahi, also prayed the court to confirm the single pronouncement of divorce issued by the defendant.
Abdullahi said, “We also pray the court to give permission to the complainant to move her bed and side drawers from the defendant’s house.”
On his part, the defendant, through his lawyer, Sadiq Marafa, said that he pronounced divorce on the complainant because she left their matrimonial home without his knowledge. Read more
US woman jailed for leading all-female IS battalion (BBC)
A US woman who admitted leading an all-female battalion of the Islamic State group (IS) has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Allison Fluke-Ekren, a 42-year-old from Kansas, committed terrorist acts in Iraq, Syria and Libya over an eight-year period.
She also admitted to giving military training to more than 100 women and girls, including some as young as 10.
She pleaded guilty to the charges in June.
Ahead of the sentencing, prosecutors said the sentence – the maximum allowable by law – would not be enough to punish her but should be imposed regardless. Her defence team had sought an unspecified shorter sentence, arguing that she was traumatised by her experiences in war-torn Syria. Read more
Russell Crowe opens up about his dad’s death last year: ‘I’m my father’s son’ (Metro)
Gladiator Oscar-winner Russell Crowe is on a professional high right now. But sitting in front of me on Zoom, he’s not talking about success – his brilliant turn as a ladies-loving Zeus in Thor: Love And Thunder or his new double as a director and actor in the thriller Poker Face. No, Crowe wants to talk about his dad.
‘My father passed away early in 2021,’ he says. ‘The most usual conversation you have with people when you’re sharing that information is that if they’ve had the same sort of experience, of one of their parents passing, they lament, “If only I had one more weekend or one more dinner party or something”. In truth, I’d had 12 months of being with my dad.’
During lockdown, Crowe spent time with his old man on the 400-hectare New South Wales farm he bought in 1996 shortly after making his breakthrough film, LA Confidential.
‘Yes, he had his problems, a little bit of early-onset this and early-onset that,’ says Crowe. ‘But to share just little adventures was wonderful. Sticking him in a Polaris buggy and scooting through the backroads of the farm when it’s p*****g down with rain… it’s not something you’re supposed to do with an 85-year-old! After we did that, he said, “These people will tell you that was a bad thing to do. But I bloody loved it!”’ Read more
Food writer whose book inspired the movie Julie & Julia dead at 49 (CBC)
Food writer Julie Powell, who became an internet darling after blogging for a year about making every recipe in Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking, leading to a book deal and a film adaptation, has died. She was 49.
Powell died of cardiac arrest on Oct. 26 at her home in upstate New York, the New York Times reported. Her death was confirmed by Judy Clain, Powell’s editor, who is also editor-in-chief of Little, Brown.
“She was a brilliant writer and a daring, original person and she will not be forgotten,” Clain said in a statement. “We are sending our deepest condolences to all who knew and loved Julie, whether personally or through the deep connections she forged with readers of her memoirs.”
Powell’s 2005 book, Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen, became the hit film Julie & Julia, directed by Nora Ephron, with the author portrayed in the movie by Amy Adams, while Meryl Streep played Child. Read more
Superman actor Henry Cavill is ‘‘looking very forward’ to meeting DC Studios James Gunn (TheWrap)
The James Gunn and Peter Safran era of DC Studios officially began on Tuesday and none other than Superman himself Henry Cavill is “looking very forward” to meeting Gunn.
“I have not met James yet,” Cavill told IGN in an interview while promoting “Enola Holmes 2.” “I’m looking very forward to meeting him.”
Cavill added: “He’s clearly a very, very talented man, and I cannot wait to sit down and have long, long conversations with him. I’m very excited about him being there and very excited about any future opportunities we can work together.”
ust where Cavill’s Superman will pop up next on the big screen remains a mystery. Dwayne Johnson touted before the release of “Black Adam” that was adamant about making a movie in which Black Adam and Superman face off. The “Black Adam” credits scene confirmed that a battle between Black Adam and Superman, which Dwayne Johnson hinted at, may be in the future, but Cavill could also get another solo installment as the man of steel before then. Read more
Takeoff’s management mourn ‘‘monumental loss of beloved brother’’ (Standard)
Representatives for Takeoff have mourned the “monumental loss” of their “beloved brother” after the Migos rapper was shot dead at the age of 28.
The US hip hop artist, real name Kirsnick Khari Ball, was pronounced dead at the scene outside a bowling alley in Houston, Texas, on Tuesday.
In a statement shared on social media, Migos’ label Quality Control said they were “devastated” by the “senseless violence”.
“It is with broken hearts and deep sadness that we mourn the loss of our beloved brother Kirsnick Khari Ball, known to the world as Takeoff,” the statement read. Read more
50 Cent, J. Cole, Travis Scott and more support petition seeking to ban rap lyrics in criminal cases (HipHopDX)
50 Cent, J. Cole, Travis Scott and many more artists are showing support for a recent petition banning the use of rap lyrics in court cases.
On Tuesday (November 1), The Guardian reported a letter has been circulating titled Art on Trial: Protect Black Art, and it includes signatures from big-name artists such as 50, Cole, Scott, and others such as Post Malone, Alicia Keys, Megan Thee Stallion and more.
Alongside those signatures are the three major record labels, Warner, Sony and Universal, and companies such as Spotify, TikTok and YouTube Music supporting the new petition.
The letter was written by Warner, who also published it on Thursday alongside the New York Times and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The contents of the letter call for prosecutors to stop using rap as evidence in trials, and for legislators at the state and federal level to limit how much of that work can be used against defendants. Read more
Loss of pride sparks lion lockdown at Australian zoo (VOA)
Five African lions broke out of their enclosure at Sydney’s harborside Taronga Zoo on Wednesday, triggering an emergency lockdown as police and specialist handlers scrambled to round up the pride.
Alarms blared throughout the zoo, a tourist drawcard that was closed to the public at the time, before the lions were tracked down and returned to their exhibit.
The zoo’s executive director Simon Duffy told reporters one lion cub had to be tranquilized.
“This is a significant incident, and a full review is now underway to confirm exactly how the lions were able to exit their main exhibit,” he said. Read more
Flamingos return, get heroic welcome in Abuja (Sun)
Bronze-winning Nigerian girls, the Flamingos, yesterday arrived in the country from India after finishing third in the just concluded FIFA U-17 Women World Cup.
The girls that arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja early afternoon on Tuesday, later got warm handshakes from the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, on arrival at the MKO Abiola Stadium where they were formally received by many Nigerian supporters.
Present during the reception include Permanent Secretary and Directors in the Sports Ministry, the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Ibrahim Gusau, first vice president of the NFF, Felix Anyansi, General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi and few other board members.
Reflecting on what helped the girls record the mileage, the NFF President disclosed that they had the best of preparations, including early local and foreign camping, playing quality grade pre-tournament local and international friendlies among other measures. Read more
Cristian Stellini admits Tottenham must snap ‘routine’ as Spurs assistant gives Heung-min Son injury update (Standard)
Tottenham assistant Cristian Stellini admitted Spurs have to find a way to produce more complete performances after they edged past Marseille to seal progression to the last 16 of the Champions League.
Another woeful first-half display saw Tottenham go into the break behind after Chancel Mbemba’s header and heading out of the competition, following a familiar pattern of the team starting slowly and conceding the opening goal.
Once again Spurs improved in the second half and drew level through Clement Lenglet, before Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg scored with the final kick of the match to seal top spot in Group D and, most likely, a more favourable draw.
Stellini, taking charge in the absence of Antonio Conte who had to watch on from the stands after his red card against Sporting, was frustrated with the slow start, even if Spurs eventually turned it around. Read more
Jurgen Klopp hails Liverpool’s win over Napoli (RTE)
Jurgen Klopp has never doubted Liverpool’s quality and was pleased by the way his side bounced back from their latest setback by overcoming in-form Napoli in the Champions League.
Having gone closer than any side in English football history to winning an unprecedented quadruple, things have gone awry since just falling short in the Premier League and Champions League at the end of last season.
Klopp’s Jekyll-and-Hyde side lost 2-1 at home to embattled Leeds on Saturday evening, leading him to reject talk that this Liverpool squad had reached the end of its useful lifespan.
The German’s team responded to that loss with a 2-0 win against Napoli on Tuesday, with late goals from Mohamed Salah and substitute Darwin Nunez sealing a 2-0 triumph as they qualified from Group A as runners-up. Read more
World No. 1 Swiatek cruises to win over Kasatkina at WTA Finals (StraitsTimes)
World No. 1 Iga Swiatek opened her season-ending WTA Finals campaign Tuesday with a straight sets victory over Russia’s eighth-ranked Daria Kasatkina.
Polish star Swiatek, who has enjoyed a stellar year that included Grand Slam singles titles at the French and US Opens, eased to a 6-2, 6-3 victory in 1hr 22min at Fort Worth’s Dickies Arena in Texas.
The 21-year-old is the heavy favourite to add to her tally of eight tournament victories at this week’s eight-player tournament.
Against Kasatkina on Tuesday, the three-time Grand Slam champion was quickly into her stride, racing to a 3-0 lead after an early break of serve. Read more
Sebastian Vettel hopes Max Verstappen finishes season with 16 wins (PlanetF1)
Max Verstappen has broken the record jointly held by Sebastian Vettel for most wins in a season – and Vettel hopes he adds more still.
Despite the best efforts of his title rival from last season, Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton, Verstappen was unstoppable at the Mexico City Grand Prix, taking the chequered flag with a margin of 15 seconds over the Briton.
With that, he secured his 14th victory of the season, surpassing the former record of 13 which was jointly held by Vettel and Michael Schumacher.
Vettel had achieved that tally in 2013 during his Red Bull days, that season producing the last of his four consecutive titles, while Schumacher won 13 of the 18 races in the 2004 campaign. Again, that was the last World Championship of Schumacher’s dominant streak. Read more
Thai teen Thitikul becomes 2nd youngest No. 1 women’s golfer (ESPN)
Thai teenager Atthaya Thitikul reached No. 1 in the women’s world ranking on Monday, the 16th player and second-youngest to get to the top since the ranking began in 2006.
Thitikul had a chance to reach No. 1 by winning any of her last three tournaments on the LPGA Tour. Instead, the 19-year-old replaced Jin Young Ko of South Korea on a week in which she didn’t play.
Thitikul heads to the Toto Japan Classic to make her debut at No. 1.
“It is very special to get to the top but it is much harder to retain,” Thitikul said. Read more