Delta workers rape employer, kill victim, husband (Punch)
The Delta State Police Command has paraded over 45 suspects for various criminal offences ranging from kidnapping, robbery, cultism, baby factory, murder, among others.
The Commissioner of Police, Delta State, Muhammed Ali, while parading the suspects, decried the high rate of cultism in the state.
He said, “These five AK-47 rifles recovered from these hoodlums belong to our officers. They killed our men and collected their rifles.
“On the cult clashes in Sapele, Agbor, Abraka, Obiaruku and Ogwashi-Uku communities, I deployed tactical teams to join forces with the DPOs and so far, about 62 suspected cultists have been arrested and charged to court. I can tell you that sanity has been restored in these areas. Read more
NDLEA witness testifies in alleged drug deal against Abba Kyari, others (Guardian)
Mrs Patricia Afolabi, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)’s first prosecution witness, on Monday, testified in the alleged drug offence preferred against DCP Abba Kyari and others.
Afolabi, who is a Commander of Narcotics in the agency, was led in evidence by prosecution counsel, Sunday Joseph, before Justice Emeka Nwite of a Federal High Court, Abuja.
The witness told the court that part of her job specification involves receiving and conducting forensic analysis on drug exhibits.
She told the court that she had on Feb. 7, received from the Forensic Liaison Officer of the agency, Abubakar Aliyu, one sealed transparent evidence pack containing 24 dispensing pack each. Read more
LCFE to commence real time trading (Vanguard)
Lagos Commodities and Futures Exchange (LCFE) has concluded arrangements to commence real time trading this month as part of the plans to inaugurate the pan African Commodities Exchange.
As a build up to the historic inauguration, scheduled for Thursday, July 28 at its trading floor in Niger House, Lagos, the Exchange, has conducted a series of test trades on its state-of -the art technology, and other basic infrastructure to drive the processes of operations in line with the global best practices.
A statement from the Exchange indicates that it had listed several tradeable instruments, registered 40 Dealing Member Firms and certified 128 Commodities Brokers to commence both physical and remote trading after the inauguration.
Already, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has approved 13 products for trading on the Exchange. The Exchange is the only one that has the Commission’s approval to trade gold. Upon the inauguration, the Exchange will kickstart with trading of electronic receipts on the following prime commodities: Oil and Gas, Agriculture, Solid Minerals and Currencies. Read more
Osun Election: Aregbesola’s men worked for me, says Adeleke (DailyTrust)
Senator Ademola Adeleke has said some associates of Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, Minister of Interior, worked for him in Saturday’s election.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the election said this in a Channels Television interview.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared Adeleke governor-elect, on Sunday.
He polled a total of 403,371 votes ahead of outgoing Governor Gboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who polled 375,027 votes.
Adeleke secured victory in the stronghold of the APC, a development which many attributed to the rift between Oyetola and Aregbesola. Read more
‘No alliance with Aregbesola, any political party for Adeleke’s victory’ (Vanguard)
A former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, Diran Odeyemi has said Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola did not help the PDP to win the July 16th 2022 Osun governorship election.
Odeyemi spoke in an exclusive interview with Vanguard Live on the post-mortem of the just-concluded Osun governorship election.
He said the PDP has no alliance with any political party or a faction of the APC.
“Maybe the reason why they thought Aregbesola helped us was because some of his commissioners decamped to our party, just like we sold liability to them and bought assets from APC so it was on both camps, there was no time the party met with the minister or anybody to say come and help us win election. We knew we were going to win,” he said. Read more
Fans mourn deaths of Nollywood actresses, Ameh, Onayiga (Punch)
Fans of two popular Nollywood actresses, Ada Ameh and Sola Onayiga, have mourned their passing after the news of their death went viral on Monday.
Ameh, who had been battling an illness, reportedly collapsed during an outing on Sunday.
PUNCH Metro gathered that she gave up the ghost while being rushed to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Hospital.
Prior to the incident, she took to her Instagram page and shared a video of herself eating with her host family.
Ada, who died at the age of 48, was popular for her role in the family comic series, The Johnsons. Read more
Master bakers threaten withdrawal of services nationwide for 2 weeks (Tribune)
Master Bakers and Caterers Association of Nigeria has threatened two weeks of withdrawal of services if the government fails to intervene in the operational challenges of its members.
Tribune Online reports that the national body of the association resolved to begin the industrial action on Wednesday.
The Chairman of the Kogi State chapter of the association, Chief Gabriel Bamidele Adeniyi who gave the hint while briefing journalists in Lokoja on Monday, said that members of the state branch are ready to join the strike if the national body gives go ahead.
The chairman explained that the proposed strike followed a series of challenges confronting the bakery and catering industry in Nigeria which remained unattended to by the government. Read more
Aero Contractors suspends services (Guardian)
The management of Aero Contractors Company Nig. Ltd., said it would temporarily suspend scheduled passenger services operations from Wednesday.
This is contained in a statement issued by the company and made available to newsmen in Lagos on Monday.
According to the statement, the suspension does not affect Aero’s other businesses.
”These businesses are not suspended; the Approved Maintenance Organisation otherwise known as AeroMRO; the Approved Training Organisation also known as Aero Training School or the Helicopter and Charter Services operations”, it said. Read more
We’ll soon curb medical tourism – Buhari (DailyTrust)
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday expressed optimism that the nation’s desire to achieve medical manpower in order to curb medical tourism would soon be realised.
Buhari stated this when he performed the groundbreaking for the construction of the Administrative/Senate Building, College of Medicine building and Principal Officers Quarters at the permanent site of the Federal University of Health Sciences, Otukpo (FUHSO) in Otukpo, Benue State.
The president, who was represented by the Minister of Education, Prof. Adamu Adamu, noted that he was impressed that the university’s management had hit the ground running and has no doubt that the desired impact of producing high-level medical manpower as well as curbing medical tourism will be achieved in no distant time.
He said his administration recently approved the sum of N3billion as a high-impact intervention fund through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (Tetfund) for FUHSO to further enhance infrastructural development that will provide enabling environment for teaching, learning, research and innovation. Read more
Ghana confirms first cases of deadly Marburg virus (BBC)
Ghana has confirmed its first two cases of the deadly Marburg virus, a highly infectious disease in the same family as the virus that causes Ebola.
It says both patients died recently in hospital in the southern Ashanti region.
Their samples came back positive earlier this month and have now been verified by a laboratory in Senegal.
Health officials in the West African nation say 98 people are now under quarantine as suspected contact cases.
These include relatives, medics and mortuary workers who came into contact with the two patients. Read more
Tom Tugendhat knocked out Tory leadership race with Rishi Sunak emerging favourite again (Metro)
Tom Tugendhat knocked out of race to be next PM with only four candidates left
Voting tonight had come after the remaining five hopefuls went head-to-head in two live television debates
The race to become Conservative Party leader has been whittled down to four candidates.
Tom Tugendhat was eliminated from the battle to become the next prime minister after he received just 31 votes in tonight’s third ballot of Tory MPs.
Rishi Sunak came out on top with 115 votes, while Penny Mordaunt followed with 82.
Liz Truss wasn’t miles behind Ms Mordaunt with 71 votes, while Kemi Badenoch got 58.
Former soldier Mr Tugendhat will be relegated to the sidelines alongside the likes of Suella Braverman, Nadhim Zahawi and Jeremy Hunt who have also been knocked out of the process. Read more
Prince Harry recalls the moment he knew Meghan Markle was his ‘soulmate’ (PageSix)
Prince Harry realized Meghan Markle was his “soulmate” during one of their trips to Africa.
The Duke of Sussex, 37, recalled the sweet memory Monday while delivering a keynote address in honor of Nelson Mandela International Day at the the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
“Since I first visited Africa at 13 years old, I’ve always found hope on the continent,” he shared, calling it his “lifeline” where he’s “found peace and healing time and time again.”
“It’s where I felt closest to my mother and sought solace after she died,” he went on, “and where I knew I’d found a soulmate in my wife.” Read more
Music producer Idris Phillips, who recorded his solo album in Dubai, dies at 64 (National)
Sometimes, putting down what you want to say on record takes time.
For singer-songwriter Idris Phillips, it took 40 years and Dubai was the location where he finally recorded his one and only solo album, the gorgeous Star by Moon.
Released in 2014, it is destined to become one of those classic forgotten albums, to be discovered by generations later, similar to the work of 1970s singer-songwriter Sixto Rodriguez, as profiled in the documentary Searching for Sugar Man.
Phillips is no longer around to see the fruits of that particular labour. The American musician died on Saturday aged 64. No cause of death has been revealed. Read more
Radical pop art sculptor Claes Oldenburg dies at 93 (BBC)
Influential Swedish-born sculptor Claes Oldenburg – whose giant works of everyday objects delight millions – has died in his New York City home aged 93.
The Pace Gallery that represented him said he had recently suffered a fall.
It described him as “one of the most radical artists of the 20th century… in the development of pop art”.
Oldenburg, who moved to the US in the 1950s, is known for his trademark works depicting clothes pegs, baseball bats, hamburgers and electric plugs.
Many of his sculptures adorn public spaces in the US and around the world. Read more
Second airport suspends flights after ‘runway melts’ in 38°C heatwave (Metro)
Flights have been suspended at Luton Airport after today’s heatwave led to a runway defect.
High temperatures have led to runways ‘melting’ in areas across England.
‘Following today’s high temperatures, a surface defect was identified on the runway,’ Luton Airport said in a statement.
‘Engineers were called immediately to site and repair works are currently in progress to resume operations as soon as possible.
‘We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.’ Read more
Russia proposes law to ban broadcast of LGBT content (JerusalemPost)
A draft law has been submitted to Russia’s State Duma (lower house) which looks to crack down on what the text of the law calls “LGBT propaganda” on Monday.
The law proposal seeks to add changes to existing Russian laws against propaganda and the publication of “problematic” topics like suicide and drug use, adding “the denial of the family as a social value” and “non-traditional sexual relations” to the list, according to a law proposal document released by deputies of the State Duma.
These additions will work as a legal supplement to an existing 2013 law, decried by Western countries as state-enforced bigotry, that bans the “promotion of non-traditional sexual relations to minors.” The new additions expand the ban from minors to the whole population, regardless of age.
With the new correction, media content “promoting” LGBT relations will be considered propaganda by federal law if the bill passes, while such “bans” are not always enforced, this particular proposal looks to specifically ban the rental of any movie with LGBT content to cinemas. Read more
Napoli not aware of Osimhen’s Bayern move (Punch)
Napoli Sporting Director, Cristiano Giuntoli, says the club are not aware of Nigeria international Osimhen Osimhen’s imminent move to German Bundesliga champions, Bayern Munich, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
Bayern have never hidden their desire to sign the Nigerian as an ideal replacement for striker Robert Lewandowski, who has joined Spanish giants Barcelona.
The Polish departure from the Allianz Arena means the Bavarians are in the market for a forward leading to speculations that Osimhen could be joining the German outfit just two years after joining Napoli from Lille for a record club fee of €81m with add-ons.
The 23-year-old has been impressive for the Partenopei since his arrival from Ligue 1 outfit and scored 14 goals plus five assists in 27 appearances in the Serie A in the 2021/22 season despite being blighted by a series of injuries. Read more
Ibrahimovic, 40, extends stay with Italian champions AC Milan (Guardian)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic will stay at AC Milan for at least one more year after the veteran striker signed a new one-year contract with the Italian champions on Monday.
“AC Milan is pleased to announce the renewal of Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s contract until June 30, 2023. The Swedish forward will continue to wear the number 11 shirt,” the team said in a statement.
Ibrahimovic, who turns 41 in October, has signed a deal which will net him around one million euros ($1.02 million) in fixed salary, with large bonuses linked to appearances and achievements.
The Swede is out of action until at least early next year after having had the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee reconstructed in May. Read more
Celta Vigo: Santi Mina demands training return before appeal against sexual abuse conviction
Celta Vigo striker Santi Mina has demanded his “immediate reinstatement” to the Celta Vigo squad, says the La Liga club.
Celta temporarily dismissed Mina from first-team training and opened disciplinary proceedings after he was sentenced to four years in prison.
The 26-year-old was found guilty of sexual abuse in May but has appealed the verdict.
The incident took place in June 2017, when Mina was a Valencia player. Read more
Geraint Thomas not giving up in Tour de France (Independent)
Geraint Thomas will keep believing in his chances of winning a second Tour de France this week but knows he faces an uphill challenge to dislodge race leader Jonas Vingegaard and defending champion Tadej Pogacar in the Pyrenees.
Thomas reached Monday’s final rest day third overall, two minutes and 43 seconds off Vingegaard in yellow, and 21 seconds behind Pogacar, who appeared on course for a third straight title before suffering on the Col du Granon on Wednesday.
Thomas, the 2018 Tour winner, has seen his deficit to yellow double in the last week but said he would keep fighting until Paris, with one eye on Saturday’s lengthy time trial – almost 41km between Lacapelle-Marival and Rocamadour – as an opportunity.
“It’s certainly going to be difficult with two incredibly strong riders in front of me and not just one,” Thomas said. “We’ve got to keep believing as a team and hopefully try and make the most of anything we can, keep racing the best we can…Read more
Open champion Smith up to No. 2 in world (WA)
Australian Cameron Smith has leapt five spots to No. 2 in the Official World Golf Ranking, a career best, as a result of winning the British Open on Sunday.
Smith beat Cameron Young and Rory McIlroy to win the Claret Jug at St Andrews in Scotland.
It was McIlroy Smith unseated from the No. 2 spot by winning his first major title. McIlroy dropped to third in the new week’s rankings.
Scottie Scheffler was in no danger of losing his hold on No. 1 after rocketing his way up the board this spring with four victories, including at the Masters. He remained No. 1 after tying for 21st at The Open. Read more
Novak Djokovic urged to fix US Open ban woes despite definitive vaccine statement (Express)
Novak Djokovic has been told to get vaccinated so he can play the US Open despite declaring he would not be jabbed purely to compete. Unvaccinated travellers are currently banned from entering the United States, meaning the three-time former champion will not be able to participate in the final Grand Slam of the year unless the rule changes in the next six weeks. And 53 per cent of Express Sport readers think Djokovic should get vaccinated to stop himself from being kept out of the tournament.
Djokovic is currently facing an anxious wait to see whether the US government will relax their Covid travel rules in time for him to compete in the US Open, starting in exactly six weeks. The world No 7 has already been prevented from competing in a Grand Slam over his unvaccinated status at the start of the year in Australia, and could find himself in the same position again.
With time running out for the rules to be relaxed, more than half of Express Sport readers voting in a poll urged the 21-time Major champion to get the Covid vaccine so he could compete in New York, despite the Serb ruling out the option of being jabbed. 53 % of 10,283 voters said they thought he should get vaccinated to play in six week’s time.
38% said no while nine per cent said they weren’t sure. But there’s little to no chance that Djokovic will be taking the advice of Express Sport readers anytime soon, as after he won a seventh Wimbledon crowd eight days ago he said: “I’m not vaccinated and I’m not planning to get vaccinated so the only good news I can have is them removing the mandated green vaccine card or whatever you call it to enter United States or exemption.” Read more
Messi, Mbappe and other PSG stars draw thousands at Tokyo training (Guardian)
Lionel Messi, Neymar and Kylian Mbappe drew gasps from a crowd of thousands in Tokyo on Monday as Paris Saint-Germain held the first training session of their Japanese tour.
About 13,000 fans turned up at Tokyo’s Chichibunomiya rugby ground to watch an open session and were treated to an hour and a half of tricks and flicks from PSG’s star attacking trio.
The crowd erupted in cheers as the team trotted out to jog around the pitch and the players’ every touch was greeted with loud squeals.
Security guards were even called into action when several fans invaded the pitch once the session was over. Read more