Easter: Sanwo-Olu urge Christians to emulate virtues of humility, perseverance (DailyTrust)
The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has congratulated Christians in the state on the commemoration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, urging them to emulate His virtues of humility, perseverance and compassion. The Governor in his Easter message urged Christian faithful in the State to continue to live in peace and harmony with believers of other faiths in the state. According to him, good neighbourliness, selflessness and patience were among the several lessons taught and exemplified by Jesus Christ. He reminded Lagosians that the events leading to the death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ were epochal in the annals of Christianity and humanity while he enjoined citizens to reflect on how best to positively impact the lives of friends, colleagues, neighbours and family members. Read more
Lockdown nightmare: How 200 armed gangsters invaded, robbed Ogun, Lagos communities (Punch)
Residents of some communities in Ogun and Lagos have lost sleep over robberies in the neighbourhoods by a gang of roaming hoodlums seizing the coronavirus lockdown to unleash terror on the two states.
There have been overwhelming complaints by residents of Owode, Ilepa, Ifo, Arigbajo, Itori, Dalemo, Ijoko, Ogba Ayo, Mosa, Joju, Sango, Ota, Oniyale among other communities in Ifo and Ado-Odo Ota local government areas of Ogun State over how hoodlums have been dispossessing them of their valuables day and night.
There was also unrest in FESTAC Town, Jankara and Ifako-Ijaiye areas of Lagos State on Saturday afternoon as hoodlums besieged the populated areas to rob residents and loot shops. Read more
Covid-19: Lagos discharges boy, 11, other 3 patients (Guardian)
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State on Saturday announced the recovery and discharge of another four COVID-19 patients, including 11 years old boy, having tested negative twice to the virus.
Sanwo-Olu, through his verified Twitter handle, said that the patients all males, including an 11 year-old-boy were discharged from the State Isolation facilities to reunite with the society, bringing to 50 the discharged patients in Lagos. Read more
Lockdown: Police arrest inspector filmed collecting N40,000 bribe (Punch)
A policeman in the Okota axis of the Oshodi/Isolo Local Government Area of Lagos State has been arrested for taking bribe from a motorist.
The inspector, whose name tag gave away in the video as ‘Taloju Martins’, was seen to be counting N1000 notes said to be 40 pieces.
The money was a ‘ransom’ paid by an unidentified motorist to free his vehicle.
The motorist had allegedly violated the lockdown order of the government to curb the community transmission of coronavirus in the nation’s commercial capital. Read more
LASUTH places four nurses on isolation over death of COVID-19 patient (Guardian)
The Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) says it has placed four of its nurses on isolation, after their contact with a patient who died of COVID-19.
Prof. Tokunboh Fabamwo, LASUTH Chief Medical Director, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Lagos.
NAN recalls that the hospital had earlier on Saturday confirmed the death a patient who tested positive to COVID-19, saying the patient died at its Institute of Maternal and Child Health (Ayinke House), LASUTH. Read more
Confusion as bomb explosion rocks Edo community (Nation)
Six houses were affected on Saturday in a bomb explosion that rocked Dumez Street, on Benin-Auchi Road, Eyean, a suburb of Benin City in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State, with residents scampering to safety, but no life was lost.
The early-morning bomb explosion, as gathered by our reporter, took place at No. 4, Dumez Street, with the impact felt in five other houses in the neighbourhood, making some policemen to quickly rush to the area to prevent looting by hoodlums and to confirm what led to the incident. Read more
Coronavirus: Doctors, nurses demand life insurance as cases hit 318 (Punch)
In the light of the increasing spread and casualties arising from the coronavirus disease, the Nigerian Medical Association, the National Association of Resident Doctors and the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives have again called on the government to immediately put in place life insurance policy for their members across the country.
This, they said, would further motivate their members on the front line of tackling the raging disease, given the hazards they are exposed to on duty.
In Nigeria, as of Saturday, a doctor had died as a result of the disease, two doctors in Edo State had also tested positive for the virus, while about 25 doctors, comprising house officers, resident doctors and a consultant had been in self-isolation after coming in contact with COVID-19 patients. Read more
COVID-19: FG begins inspection of private, public treatment centres (Nation)
The federal government has begun the inspection of public and private treatment facilities for coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic in the country, especially in Lagos and Abuja.
The inspection and accreditation tour, which will first begin with states that already have active cases will eventually reach other states in the country.
The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, disclosed this at the Presidential Task Force briefing on Covid-19 in Abuja. Read more
Group seeks FG intervention on Jukun/Tiv conflict (DailyTrust)
The Ukum Development Association in Benue State has called on the federal government to urgently intervene on the security of people of Ukum Local Government Area of the state. The group said the call became necessary following the attack on the people of Jootar in Ukum on Wednesday during which three villagers were killed and many houses were burnt. Addressing a press conference in Makurdi, the group’s President General, Joseph Terzungwe and Secretary General, David Vershima, said it was worrisome that shortly after the attack that day, some army officers from Wukari came to Jootar and claimed that two of their officers were missing. Read more
NASS may reconvene soon over budget cut, others (Nation)
Barring a last minute change, the National Assembly may reconvene soon to deliberate on the falling oil price and the adjustment of the 2020 Budget benchmark from US$53 per barrel to US$30.
Also slated for discussion by the legislative arm are budget cut especially capital votes, the COVID-19 Crisis Intervention Fund and fiscal stimulus.
The National Assembly may also approve the N102.5billion resources provided by the Federal Government for healthcare sector direct interventions including the N6.5billion given to the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) for critical expenditure. Read more
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman: Army officer hanged for murder of Bangladesh’s founding president (BBC)
A former army officer convicted of killing Bangladesh’s independence leader in 1975 has been executed.
Abdul Majed was hanged in the capital Dhaka after his appeal for presidential clemency was rejected this week.
He was arrested on Tuesday after spending 25 years on the run for the assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Rahman – the father of the current prime minister, Sheikh Hasina – was killed during a military coup in 1975, along with most of his family. Read more
Boris Johnson says he owes his life to NHS staff after beating coronavirus (Metro)
Boris Johnson has thanked NHS staff for saving his life as he underwent treatment in intensive care for coronavirus.
The Prime Minister, 55, issued a short statement hailing the medics as he prepares to spend his seventh night at St Thomas’ Hospital in central London. He said: ‘I can’t thank them enough. I owe them my life.’ Downing Street earlier said Mr Johnson is now able to take short walks as he continues his recovery from a severe case of Covid-19. Read more
Good Friday prayer gets out of hand in locked down Italy (Guardian)
The mayor of an Italian town famous for its bonfire celebrations on Good Friday was forced to apologise after locals turned up to pray with the priest in defiance of a coronavirus lockdown.
The southeastern town of San Marco in Lamis holds an annual ritual that sees huge trunks of hollowed-out trees thrown onto waggons and set alight.
The event was cancelled this year because of the lockdown aimed at stemming an outbreak that has officially claimed the lives of more than 19,000 people in Italy since late February. Read more
Coronavirus: Easter celebrations continue under lockdown (BBC)
Christians around the world have continued on with Easter celebrations, experimenting with new forms of worship as many countries stay under lockdown.
Some clergy have been preaching to cameras in empty churches as their congregation watch services online this Easter Saturday.
But in other countries traditions continued as normal, ignoring calls for tougher restrictions to contain the coronavirus pandemic. Read more
Why Africa’s coronavirus outbreak appears slower than anticipated (Guardian)
When Africa’s first case of coronavirus was detected in Egypt in February, the rest of the continent prepared for the brunt of a pandemic that has engulfed Europe and spread to the United States, infecting more than 1.6 million worldwide.
Health experts warned of the devastation the deadly virus could cause in Africa, where most hospitals are desperately short of equipment and trained staff.
Coronavirus has since spread to 52 African countries, but despite a steady rise in the number of confirmed cases, the continent continues to lag behind the global curve for infections and deaths. Read more
Congo, weary from Ebola, must also battle coronavirus (Vanguard)
Congo has been battling an Ebola outbreak that has killed thousands of people for more than 18 months, and now it must also face a new scourge: the coronavirus pandemic.
Ebola has left those living in the country’s east weary and fearful, and, just as they were preparing to declare an end to the outbreak, a new case popped up. Now, they will now have to manage both threats at once.
The new virus has overwhelmed some of the world’s best hospital systems in Europe and ripped through communities in New York. Read more
Coronavirus vaccine could be ready for September, claims leading Oxford professor (Metro)
A coronavirus vaccine could be available by September, according to a leading Oxford professor who is involved in its discovery.
The UK death total due to Covid-19 currently stands at 8,958, while the total number of confirmed cases is 73,758. Any ease in the current lockdown restrictions could cause a new spike in cases until a vaccine is discovered. But Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford University, says she is ’80 per cent’ confident that the vaccine her team are working on would be successful. For all the latest. Read more
The Beatles’ handwritten Hey Jude lyrics sell for £731,000 (BBC)
Paul McCartney’s handwritten lyrics for The Beatles’ song Hey Jude have sold at auction for £731,000 ($910,000).
The anonymous buyer purchased the item for almost six times more than the £128,000 estimate.
Sir Paul wrote the 1968 hit to console the young Julian Lennon after the divorce of the boy’s parents John and Cynthia.
The lyrics sheet was among more than 250 items auctioned to mark 50 years since the Liverpool band broke up. Read more
Moses Simon: I’m back and better with Nantes (Nation)
With world football locked down due to the ravaging Coronavirus and many leagues forced into suspension across Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa, Nigeria international Moses Simon has been speaking on how he and his colleagues in Nantes have been coping with life sans football.
French president Emmanuel Macron on March 16, 2020, officially announced full locked-down, declaring ‘we are at war with the Coronavirus.’
The details of the lock-down outlined tight controls over residents’ civil liberties unprecedented in peacetime. Read more
Why I prefer Europe-based stars to NPFL players – Rohr (Punch)
Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, has defended his preference for overseas-based stars over domestic league players in the national team.
This is coming after he was informed by the President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, that he would be mandated to stay in the country and watch the Nigeria Professional Football League to scout for talents, as part of conditions for his contract renewal. Read more
Sheffield United furlough staff on full pay (Guardian)
Premier League side Sheffield United on Saturday said they were furloughing some permanent and casual staff but will continue to pay them in full during their enforced leave.
Employees affected are those who are unable to perform their regular duties due to the coronavirus shutdown.
However, the club insisted it will not resort to using public money under the British government’s job retention scheme to finance the measures. Read more
Colby Cave: Edmonton Oilers forward dies aged 25 (BBC)
Colby Cave died after suffering a bleed on the brain
Edmonton Oilers forward Colby Cave has died aged 25, four days after having surgery to remove a colloid cyst on his brain.
Cave had been placed in a medically induced coma after the operation at a Toronto hospital.
“It is with great sadness to share the news that our Colby Cave passed away early this morning,” his family said in a statement on the NHL club’s website.
“We thank everyone for their prayers during this difficult time.” Read more
PSG’s Al-Khelaifi in firing line as French clubs battle for TV revenue Health (Guardian)
Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser al-Khelaifi has been accused of becoming embroiled in a conflict of interest in a dispute over television payments to French football clubs facing a financial crisis in the coronavirus pandemic.
Al-Khelaifi, 46, is the public face of the Qatari ownership of PSG which has transformed them into one of Europe’s most powerful clubs.
He is also the head of BeIN Media Group, who as one of the chief broadcasters of France’s Ligue 1 have withheld the latest payment due to clubs because of the ongoing suspension of the season. Canal Plus, who pay the most for broadcast rights, have done the same. Read more
Paul Pogba: Man Utd midfielder ‘hungry’ to return to action (BBC)
Manchester United’s Paul Pogba says he is “more hungry” to succeed after missing most of the season with injury.
The France international, 27, has not played since 26 December, having suffered a further setback following an early-season foot problem.
Pogba told the United Podcast he has been “frustrated for a long time” but will resume training when the club return after the coronavirus pandemic.
“I’m almost there; I’m just thinking about training with the team,” he said. Read more
Onyekuru: I didn’t want to join Monaco (Punch)
Striker Henry Onyekuru has opened up on the challenges he faced while he was with French giants, AS Monaco.
The striker, who was part of the Nigerian contingent to the 2019 Africa Cup on Nations in Egypt, said his transfer to Monaco from Everton, whom he joined from Eupen, was determined by the Toffees’ chiefs.
The former Anderlecht man said due to the nature of his contract, he did not have a say on his destination. Read more