Epe community in Lagos State lives in fear of cultists (Vanguard)
Epe residents on Sunday urged Lagos State government and security agencies to assist in ridding the area of cultists who regularly unleashed mayhem in the community.
Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), many lamented heinous crimes committed by the cultists either through gang wars or through brigandage.
Mr Tunde Oluwo, a youth leader, said that more than 20 indigenes and students had been killed in cult clashes in the last few months.
He said activities of cultists in the community were becoming worrisome and needed government’s attention and action. Read more
UNILAG test-runs zero emission vehicle (Nation)
The University of Lagos is test-running its Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) it initiated in 2018.
The institution’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor, (Academics and Research), Prof. Oluwole Familoni, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.
According to him, the production is an invaluable addition to the university’s efforts at preventing release of toxic emissions to the environment.
He said that the initiative was also to encourage indigenous engineering innovation.
According to Familoni, UNILAG ZEV is a 63 per cent hardware and 100 per cent software home-made (Akoka content) mechatronics automobile device. Read more
Family of late Super TV CEO threatens lawsuits over malicious reports (Tribune)
The family of the late Super TV CEO, Usifo Ataga, have threatened lawsuits over online, social media reports and other reports they consider malicious. They have also appealed to the police to go beyond the arrest of his suspected murderer by conducting an in-depth investigation to get to the bottom of the case.
The appeal is contained in a statement signed by Olusegun Jolaawo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), on behalf of the law firm, Rickey Tarfa & Co, solicitor for the family on Sunday in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ataga, who was first declared missing on Sunday, June 13 in Lagos, was allegedly killed by his girlfriend and student of the University of Lagos.
He was until his gruesome murder, the Chief Executive Officer of Super TV in Lagos. Read more
I won’t back down on Baba Ijesha case -Iyabo Ojo (Nation)
Nollywood actress Iyabo Ojo has vowed she won’t back down from the child molestation case against her embattled colleague Olanrewaju Omiyinka aka Baba Ijesha until justice is served.
The Nation reports Baba Ijesha, who had been granted bail, is standing trial for alleged sexual assault of a minor at the High Court in Ikeja.
Ojo, while reacting to the position of the Board of Trustees, Theater Arts and Motion Pictures Practitioners Association of Nigeria (TAMPAN), which addressed her unprofessional conduct, explained that she has no problem with the association.
“I do not have a problem with TAMPAN. A lot of TAMPAN members are my friends and colleagues. I might not belong to the association but I am a Yoruba actress,” Ojo said.
The Nation reports that the association, during a briefing in Lagos over the weekend, said it would not entertain any form of disrespect by practitioners who try to drag the association in the mud.
Member board of trustee of TAMPAN, Prince Jide Kosoko, said the association is aware of the derogatory statements made by Iyabo Ojo against it and the industry as a whole, noting that it will not take further insults. Read more
I raped her on a daily basis for 5 months, says ‘bandit who abducted housewife’ (DailyTrust)
Surajo Dauda, a notorious kidnapper and rapist, has been arrested by the police in Katsina State.
According to SP Gambo Isah, Katsina State Police Spokesman, the 30-year-old was among the suspects paraded by the command.
He said Dauda of Rijiyar Basai village in Danja Local Government Area of Katsina confessed how he abducted and raped one of his victims.
The victim identified as Jamila Auwal is an 18-year-old housewife.
Gambo said Auwal was taken from Tandama village after she was drugged. Read more
Man, 45, pummels wife to death over N2,000 loan (Tribune)
Tragedy struck, on Saturday night, at the Uselu area of Benin City as a 45-year old man, simply identified as Mr Christopher, pummeled his 39-years old wife to death over a N2,000 loan request.
Tribune Online gathered that the incident happened at 1, Agbontaen Street, beside Ebvareke Secondary School, off Agboniro street, Uselu, Benin City.
A source privy to the sad incident disclosed that Christopher descended on his wife, Mrs Isoken Christopher, following her failure to give him the N2,000 loan he requested from her.
The deceased, a mother of three, according to her eldest child, Augustine Christopher, was hale and hearty before the sad incident. Read more
Police celebrate killing of Fowlboy, Delta notorious criminal (Sun)
Operatives of the Delta State Police Command are still in celebration mood following the killing of a notorious criminal, Fowlboy, during a fierce gun duel in Amukpe area of Sapele.
The deceased suspect and his gang members were said to be responsible for series of robberies in the area which they terrorise at will.
According to acting Public Relations Officer of the command, DSP Bright Edafe, Fowlboy has been on the wanted list of the police as a result of constant reports linking him to criminal cases.
He said the deadly armed robber met his waterloo during early hours of Saturday when operatives of Sapele Division responded to a distressed call.
Edafe said the police in conjunction with local vigilante stormed the scene where the late suspect led two others on a robbery spree. Read more
Enugu dental college matriculates 400 students (ThisDay)
The Federal College of Dental Technology and Therapy, Enugu (FEDCODTTEN), on Saturday, matriculated 400 fresh students for various diploma and degree programmes in three faculties and nine departments of the College for the 2020/2021 academic year.
The college, which in February, secured the nod of the National Universities Commission (NUC) to run four degree programmes in collaboration with the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), offers degree and diploma programmes in Dental Technology, Bio-medical Engineering, Dental Therapy, Dental Nursing, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Pure and Applied Sciences, Social Work, among other health disciplines.
Addressing freshers at the 66th matriculation ceremony of the college, according toa statemrnt by the Head, Public Relations, Omololu Ogunmade, the Rector, Dr. John Emaimo, charged the matriculating students to play their own parts well, noting that both their parents and the college authority had done their own parts, leading to their admissions, adding that the college would continue to play its own roles.
The rector said the college had come of age, offering unique health programmes for diploma and degree awards, in a disciplined and law-abiding learning environment.
He also reminded the students that they were in the college for learning as the basis for their admission and enjoined them to go through the college manual to learn about the rules and regulations of the college. Read more
Andy Uba hails Anambra APC on successful primary (Sun)
The Senator Andy Uba Campaign Organization has congratulated members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Anambra State for a successful governorship primary held across the 21 LGAs despite initial logistical issues.
He noted that there was delayed movement of materials to wards for accreditation and voting.
This came as Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, Saturday evening, called for the postponement of the exercise to Tuesday, June 29, due to the hiccups experienced across the State.
Director-General of the campaign organization, Chief Paul Chukwuma in a statement in Awka, praised the doggedness of APC members who remained patient all through the process.
On the call for the postponement of the primary by Ngige, the Campaign Organization faulted him wondering why the leader of the party in the State will call for a shift of an election that had ended successfully just because the outcome was not going in favour of his preferred candidate.
According to the Campaign organ, this stand by Dr. Chris Ngige lends credence to the rumours going round that he is in cohort with the ruling APGA to support a weak aspirant to emerge as APC candidate in order to pave way for the APGA governorship candidate to have a smooth run. Read more
Girl, 11, ‘becomes UK’s youngest mum after falling pregnant aged 10’ (Metro)
A girl, 11, has ‘given birth’ and is believed to be the UK’s youngest ever mum.
Her family had no idea she had fallen pregnant aged 10, The Sun reports.
Both mother and child are healthy after the baby was delivered last week.
Social services and a council are investigating the circumstances of the case.
A source who knows the family said: ‘It has come as a big shock.
‘She’s now being surrounded by expert help. The main thing is that she and the baby are OK.
‘There are questions around why people did not know. That is very worrying.’ Read more
New video of Ethiopia massacre shows soldiers passing phone around to document their executions of unarmed men (CNN)
A few scattered human bones lay on the rocky ground, along with a broken skull and several half-burned identification cards.
That is all the villagers could find, six months after Ethiopian troops rounded up their loved ones and shot them at point-blank range, throwing the bodies off a rocky hillside deep in the mountains of central Tigray in Ethiopia.
An April 2021 CNN investigation, in collaboration with Amnesty International, examined video clips of the January massacre and used geolocation techniques to verify the video was filmed on a ridge near Mahibere Dego in January 2021. The investigation revealed at the time that at least 11 unarmed men were executed, and 39 others were unaccounted for.
How a massacre in Tigray was captured on video. Read more
Florida building collapse: 5th body found in survivor hunt (BBC)
The death toll has risen to five after the collapse of an apartment block in Florida, authorities say.
Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the number unaccounted for has now dropped to 156, with three more of the recovered bodies identified.
“Our top priority continues to be search and rescue and saving any lives that we can,” she told reporters.
Part of the building collapsed early in the morning on Thursday while many residents slept. Read more
2 more Catholic churches burned down in B.C.’s Interior (CBC)
Two more Catholic churches on reserves in British Columbia’s southern Interior burned down Saturday morning.
Lower Similkameen Indian Band Chief Keith Crow says he received a call at about 4 a.m. PT that the Chopaka church was on fire. By the time he arrived about 30 minutes later, it had burned to the ground.
“I’m angry,” Crow said. “I don’t see any positive coming from this and it’s going to be tough.”
Crow said he later received a call from the Upper Similkameen Indian Band, near Hedley, that a church on that reserve had burned down as well.
The Upper Similkameen Indian Band confirmed that St. Ann’s Church was destroyed overnight. A representative for the band said officials are currently working with RCMP at the site of the fire. Read more
Britney Spears’ ex-husband Kevin Federline wants her ‘happy and healthy’ amid conservatorship battle (Metro)
Britney Spears’ ex-husband Kevin Federline has supported her pleas to end her conservatorship for the sake of their sons.
Last week, Britney, 39, spoke at a court hearing detailing the strict terms of her conservatorship, which is controlled by her father Jamie Spears, including how she’s being prohibited from having a baby and seeing friends.
Her former husband Kevin has now addressed the controversial revelations and is focused on the wellbeing of his and Britney’s sons Sean, 15, and Jayden, 14.
Kevin’s lawyer Mark Vincent Kaplan told Entertainment Tonight: ‘Kevin feels that the best thing for his children is for their mother to be happy and healthy. What is best for her, Kevin supports her in being able to do that… Read more
Ne-Yo and wife Crystal Renay Smith welcome baby girl (PageSix)
She’s one in a million.
Ne-Yo and wife Crystal Renay Smith announced on Instagram Friday that they welcomed their third baby together, a daughter named Isabella Rose Smith.
“ISABELLA ROSE SMITH!,” Smith wrote. “God said don’t make plans honey! She came 4 weeks early but right on time for mommy! Born at 11:11 am (lucky lil lady) 5 lbs 7 oz of perfection ?? My world is finally complete ??.”
Crystal also shared a photo of Isabella Rose’s footprint, with a message reading, “You are worth all the pain!”
Ne-Yo, 41, and Smith, 34, have two sons together, Shaffer, 4, and Roman, 2. The “Miss Independent” hitmaker also shares two children with his ex, Monyetta Shaw.
The pair announced that they were expecting in February, following their reconciliation from a split in February 2020, with Smith revealing in November of that year she had initially found out about their split from the tabloids. Ne-Yo said that the two had gone their separate ways after four years of marriage because their “demons don’t mesh.” Read more
UAE: Abu Dhabi COVID app removes vaccine option for visitors (MEMO)
Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, has removed an option for visitors to apply for COVID-19 vaccines from a dedicated mobile app, although a hotline run by Abu Dhabi Health Services Company (SEHA) last week said tourists were eligible, reports Reuters.
SEHA, which operates the emirate’s health infrastructure, had said that visitors with visas issued by Abu Dhabi and passport holders eligible for tourist visas upon entry can book free vaccines, and its app had shown a “visitor” function.
Vaccinations had previously been restricted to UAE citizens and residency visa holders.
Abu Dhabi Media Office, which had not responded to a Reuters’ request for comment on tourists’ eligibility, issued a statement on Thursday saying vaccines are available to those with an expired residency visa or expired entry visa, “which does not include holders of valid tourist or visit visas.”
It has not responded to requests to clarify the issue. Read more
Suns push Clippers to the brink, 1 game away from 1st Finals since 1993 (CBC)
Neither team could make a shot. The ball bounced crazily on and around the rim, but rarely went in.
In timeouts, the Suns only talked defense. The Clippers deliberately missed free throws in a desperate attempt to retain possession and fire up a 3-pointer.
In the end, former Clipper Chris Paul made clutch free throws on a night when everyone was missing.
Devin Booker scored 25 points before fouling out in the final minute and Phoenix escaped with an 84-80 victory Saturday night to take a 3-1 lead in the Western Conference finals. Read more
Chiesa takes the spotlight as Italy suffer to keep Euro 2020 dream alive (RFI)
Federico Chiesa took centre stage coming off the bench late to score as Italy battled past Austria in extra-time to reach the Euro 2020 quarter-finals.
The Italians had swept into the last-16 but came up against a stubborn Austrian side before Chiesa broke through after 95 minutes to control the ball and with three touches score the first goal in a 2-1 win in Wembley.
Chiesa made the front pages of the Italian press on Sunday, on his knees at Wembley Stadium, his arms outstretched celebrating alongside Andrea Belotti and Matteo Pessina.
The three players had come off the bench to provide the spark needed against the Austrian underdogs who were playing in the knock-out rounds at Europeans for the first time. Read more
The historic rivalry between England and Germany that changed football forever (CNN)
Football rivalries don’t come much bigger than England versus Germany.
The tie, steeped in decades of history, has thrown up memorable moments, tears, and more penalty shootouts for English fans to care for over the years.
The two nations are set to write another chapter in this classic fixture on Tuesday as they compete for a place in the quarterfinals of Euro 2020.
With Germany — a World Cup winner in 2014 — very much holding the upper hand over its old enemy in recent times, the rivalry remains very strong in England and it’s not lost on German fans either.
Stuart Dykes is a dual national having moved from England to Germany in 1987. As a football fan, who has worked in the offices of two Bundesliga clubs, he has seen the rivalry from both perspectives. Read more
Ogier wins Safari Rally after Neuville retirement (France24)
Sebastien Ogier extended his lead at the head of the World Rally Championship title race with victory in the Safari Rally in Kenya on Sunday.
Ogier benefitted from the early retirement of overnight leader Thierry Neuville who broke his right rear shock absorber during the day’s first special stage.
Frenchman Ogier came home 21.8 seconds ahead of his Toyota teammate Takamoto Katsuta with the Estonian Ott Tanak third in his Hyundai.
It is Ogier’s 53rd career victory and his fourth this season, putting the Frenchman in control of his quest to collect an eighth title.
Neuville, who held a 57-second lead overnight over Takamoto Katsuta, also in a Toyota, arrived at the end of the first stage with a severely damaged right rear suspension, having lost one minute over 11 kilometres.
“It’s heartbreaking to end the WE (weekend) like this,” said Neuville on Twitter.
“We had to retire after our suspension broke in SS14 this morning. This is how it is but I feel sad for us & the team. Read more
Hammer thrower turns away from flag at US trials, calls anthem ‘a setup’ (USAToday)
There’s a certain routine for the top-three finishers in an event at the U.S. Olympic track and field trials, after they secure their spots on Team USA. They’re handed an American flag and a bouquet of flowers. They stand on the podium. They take some pictures. Then they take a victory lap around Hayward Field, to cheers from the crowd.
Gwendolyn Berry knew what to expect Saturday evening, after she placed third in the hammer throw. But she did not expect that, as she stood on the podium before taking pictures, organisers would play The Star-Spangled Banner.
“I feel like it was a setup. I feel like they did that on purpose,” Berry said. “And I was pissed, to be honest.”
Berry, 31, has previously protested while on the podium at an international sporting event and become a strong advocate of athletes using their platforms to speak about issues that matter to them. As the national anthem played, she turned away from the American flag, toward the southern seats at Hayward Field. Then she draped a T-shirt that read “Activist Athlete” over her head. Read more
Serena Williams announces she will not play at the Toyko Olympics (France24)
Serena Williams said she will not go to the Tokyo Olympics, but did not want to say why during her pre-Wimbledon video conference with reporters Sunday.
“I’m actually not on the Olympic list. … Not that I’m aware of. If so, then I shouldn’t be on it,” Williams said.
The 39-year-old Williams has won four gold medals at past Summer Games for the United States: in both singles and doubles at the 2012 London Olympics — which held the tennis competition at the All England Club — and in doubles at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics.All of her doubles golds were won with her older sister, Venus, as her partner. Read more