FG extends Third Mainland Bridge completion, to shut down bridge Feb 19 to 21 (Vanguard)
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola Sunday said the Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on Monday but at the end of February.
Popoola told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on telephone that the bridge would experience one more total closure from Feb. 19 to 21 before completion of the project for the final re-opening by the end of February.
“Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on the 15th of February 2021 as announced earlier on.
“In order not to create untold hardship for the motoring public using the Third Mainland Bridge for their daily activities, the contractor is not allowed to close the Third Mainland Bridge during the week to cast concrete. Read more
Planned protest: Calm at #LekkiTollgate as protesters comply with security directive (Vanguard)
In compliance with the security directive, organisers of the planned protest scheduled to take place at Lekki-Epe Toll Gate failed to show up as armed policemen are currently patrolling the axis to ensure the safety of lives and property of the citizenry. However, at about 11 am, some suspects were picked up by the police for loitering without cogent reasons.
About five suspects were arrested and taken into the waiting Black Maria vehicle stationed at the toll gate. A man who drove in his private car with a placard bearing inscription, ” One Nigeria,” was immediately intercepted by the police and after brief interrogation was whisked into the Black Maria vehicle before taken away to an unknown place. His motion camera was also seized in the process. Meantime, the state Commissioner for Police, Hakeem Odumosu, responding to the development, assured residents of adequate security of lives and property. Read more
Lekki tollgate: Outrage as police arrest 40 protesters (Punch)
There was widespread anger on Saturday following the arrest of 40 persons who protested peacefully against the reopening of the Lekki Tollgate Plaza in Lagos State.
The peaceful protesters were arrested on Saturday and locked up in standby Black Marias.
Police consequently brought them before a mobile court in Yaba for conspiracy, conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace and violation of COVID-19 protocols.
The Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing police brutality and alleged killings of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at the Lekki Tollgate, had ruled that the tollgate be handed back to its operator, Lekki Concession Company, after forensic experts submitted their report on the October 20, 2020 incident.
Four out of the nine members of the panel had faulted the report of the forensic experts hired to comb the scene for evidence and rejected the application by the LCC to take possession of the facility, which had been shut down since the probe of the shootings started. Read more
Lagbus increases fleet to 252, lauds Sanwo-Olu transport reform (Vanguard)
The Managing Director, Lagos Bus Services Ltd. (LBSL), Mr Idowu Oguntona, has commended the Lagos Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for increasing the fleet from the initial 50 buses to 252 buses in less than two years.
Oguntona said this in a statement signed by the Public Affairs Officer, Mr Afolabi Olawale, on Saturday in Lagos.
He said that the development underscored the governor’s commitment toward effective traffic and transport management in the state.
Oguntona said that the LBSL would continue to provide smart and affordable transport solutions that meet the needs of a megacity like Lagos. Read more
Bank celebrates valentine with gift cards for customers (Guardian)
To offer Nigerians a means of gifting their loved ones with something remarkable this valentine season, Wema Bank, has rolled out a prepaid gift card for its customers to show love both in cash and kind to those they care for.
To promote the tradition of gift-giving that accompanies the festivity, the bank offers customers a special gift option to share with loved ones and embarking on a love fiesta of their own, tagged the *945# love campaign. Members of its online community would win giveaways including goody bags, airtime recharge, purchase discounts and cash prizes.
Speaking on the initiative, Wema Bank’s Head, Channels, Damola Bolodeoku said: “We are well aware that during this season a lot of people, including our customers worry about what to get their loved ones. As such, this compelled us to help them find a solution, therefore offering them a perfect gift such as this. Not only does this card take away what is sometimes a tedious experience in looking for the perfect gift for a loved one, but also considering the ongoing pandemic and the limitations in movement, we believe it is most convenient in these times. Read more
Nobody can force us out of South-West – Miyetti Allah (Punch)
Fulani herdsmen under the aegis of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore have vowed to resist any eviction from the South-West, citing their rights as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution to live wherever they desire.
Miyetti Allah also vowed to avenge the alleged attacks on and loss of herdsmen and their cattle, saying it would never tolerate any act of injustice on herders.
The National Secretary of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, Mr Alhassan Saleh, stated these in an interview with Sunday PUNCH against a backdrop of the eviction notices issued to criminal herdsmen by some South-West groups and personalities.
Saleh said it was wrong to drive herders out of any part of Nigeria and that even if there were criminals among them, it was the function of the government’s security forces to identify and arrest them. Read more
Firm to pay compensation to varsity students killed during accident (Guardian)
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has secured a commitment from Dangote Group to pay compensation to students of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko (AAUA), Ondo State, killed during an accident.
Six students of the university and nine others were killed on January 23, 2021, when a truck belonging to Dangote Group, rammed into a shopping complex in Akungba Akoko.
The National President of NANS, Sunday Asefon, shortly after the accident, promised to seek justice for victims, assuring that their death would not be in vain.
Asefon in a statement entitled: “Our Colleagues Must Get Justice,’ in Ado Ekiti, yesterday, said compensation pact was reached with Dangote Group after a meeting with its management on Thursday. Read more
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Fela Kuti leads with over 116,362 votes (Punch)
Almost 24 years after the death of Afrobeat music icon, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Nigerians have continued to throw their weight behind the Pan-Africanist who has been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2021.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame published 16 nominees for its 2021 class of inductees, and on the list is the afrobeat originator, who many believed had been eligible for some time and is finally being recognised for the honour.
Fela was nominated alongside 15 other artistes including Jay-Z, LL Cool J, Mary J. Blige, Chaka Khan and Dionne Warwick.
In a statement, the Chairman of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, John Sykes, said, “This remarkable ballot reflects the diversity and depth of the artistes and music the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame celebrates. These nominees have left an indelible impact on the sonic landscape of the world and influenced countless artists that have followed them.” Read more
Award-winning chef creates ‘fart-free’ curry recipe for Valentine’s Day (Metro)
Looking for a risk-free meal this Valentine’s Day? Award-winning chef and bestselling cookery author Gurpareet Bains has come up with a new take on the traditional chicken madras that promises to ‘light a fire in our hearts’ rather than our digestive systems. This low-fat recipe has normally gas-inducing ingredients like onions, garlic and chilli reduced by half in a bid to spare you any awkward moments this Valentine’s Day. Gurpareet also replaces standard table salt with black salt, which helps with digestion and minimises the noise and odour of any mishaps. Read more
Trump acquitted for second time following historic Senate impeachment trial (CNN)
The Senate acquitted former President Donald Trump in his second impeachment trial Saturday, voting that Trump was not guilty of inciting the deadly January 6 riot at the US Capitol — but the verdict amounted to a bipartisan rebuke of the former President with seven Republicans finding him guilty.
The final vote was 57 guilty to 43 not guilty, short of the 67 guilty votes needed to convict.
Held exactly one month after the House impeached Trump, the number of Republican senators who voted against Trump ended up higher than even what Trump’s legal team had anticipated, marking a stark departure from the first impeachment trial last year when only one Republican senator, Mitt Romney of Utah, found Trump guilty. Read more
4.4 magnitude earthquake shakes Banff (CBC)
A 4.4 magnitude earthquake hit Banff, Alta., on Saturday evening, according to the United States Geological Survey’s earthquake tracking site.
The earthquake struck the mountain town around 6:32 p.m. MT, at a depth of around 17.3 kilometres, with an uncertainty of plus or minus seven kilometres, the USGS website stated.
The epicentre of the quake was near Cascade Mountain, about five kilometres north of town.
Banff Mayor Karen Sorensen said she was watching a movie, when she felt rumbling underneath her feet, followed by a loud boom.
“And then the entire house shook … certainly the entire town felt it, my phones were lighting up,” she said. Read more
Biden aide TJ Ducklo quits over ‘abhorrent’ language (BBC)
White House deputy press secretary TJ Ducklo has resigned, a day after being suspended without pay for allegedly threatening a female reporter.
Mr Ducklo had reportedly said he would “destroy” Politico journalist Tara Palmeri who was asking questions about his private life.
In a statement on Saturday, Mr Ducklo said his language had been “abhorrent”.
President Joe Biden has vowed to fire anyone in his administration who treats “another colleague with disrespect”. Read more
Incest accusation in prominent family prompts French national reckoning with child abuse (CNN)
It all started with damning allegations from book excerpts published in France’s prestigious Le Monde newspaper as the new year began.
“I was 14 and I let it go (…). I was 14, I knew and didn’t say anything.”
“My stepfather would come into my brother’s room. I could hear his footsteps in the hallway and knew he was joining him. In this silence, I imagined things. That he was asking my brother to stroke him maybe, to suck him.
“I was waiting. I was waiting for him to come out of the room, full of unfamiliar and immediately despised smells,” the book’s author, 45-year old lawyer Camille Kouchner, wrote. “By not naming what was happening, I participated in the incest.” Read more
Anti-Valentine’s Day films to celebrate friendship, self-love and singledom – from Booksmart to Someone Great (Metro)
Valentine’s Day has crept up on us, with couples making their plans about how best to celebrate amid the pandemic. While some are planning date nights for home, singletons all over are readying themselves for a smattering of loved-up social media posts. Never fear! While it’s slightly impossible at the minute to have a proper Galentine’s Day night out, it’s the perfect time to escape with a glass of wine and a movie night filled with films where a happy ending doesn’t always require perfect romance. We’ve got girl gangs having each other’s backs, a family loving each other through thick and thin, and a pair of criminal besties being hunted by the police – what more could you need? Read more
Mr and Mrs Smith reboot to star Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Donald Glover (BBC)
Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Donald Glover are going to star in a reboot of 2005 film Mr and Mrs Smith.
The original movie, about two married assassins who are ordered to kill each other, starred Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie – and led to the actors forming a real-life relationship.
It will now be remade as a series on Amazon Prime, and released next year.
Fleabag star Waller-Bridge and Atlanta actor Glover will also be executive producers on the show. Read more
Lagos ready to host Eagles, says LSSC chief (Guardian)
NFF First Vice-President, Seyi Akinwunmi (second left); Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr and LSSC Chairman, Sola Aiyepeku, during the inspection of facilities at the Teslim Balogun Stadium… on Thursday
The Executive Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission (LSSC), Sola Aiyepeku, has assured the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) of the state’s readiness to host Super Eagles on March 30, when the team takes on Lesotho in Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group L qualifier.
Speaking to a crew of NFF’s officials that included Coach Gernot Rohr, who was on an inspection tour of the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Aiyepeku said the facilities that included the pitch, players’ dressing room, referees, medical among others, told the team that everything would be more than ready before the match day.
Aiyepeku, said, “The coach made a lot of complaints that have to do with the playing surface. We know that tending and maintaining a pitch is major thing and we explained that the pitch would be ready. The grass is green all over and there are different things that will be done to ensure that the pitch is match ready.
“We’re about six to seven weeks away from the game and before that time, everything will be put in place to make it ready. The benefits of hosting a match of this magnitude are multi-dimensional, ranging from the economic to social benefits. Read more
Rafael Nadal gives positive injury update and reacts to ‘strange’ Novak Djokovic fightback (Metro)
Rafael Nadal booked his spot in the last-16 of the Australian Open with a win over Cameron Norrie but said the ‘biggest victory’ came from the improvements in his back. Nadal, the second seed from Spain, enjoyed a solid win against the British No. 3, winning 7-5 6-2 7-5 on an empty Rod Laver Arena. The 20-time Grand Slam champion was the overwhelming favourite to move into the last-16, despite having been plagued with a back injury during the tournament so far. But he revealed that he had started making progress with the issue and he was able to serve closer to his normal level in Saturday’s victory. Read more
Josh Warrington stunned by Mauricio Lara in knockout defeat at Wembley Arena (BBC)
Josh Warrington fell to one of the biggest shock defeats in a British ring in recent years as Mauricio Lara landed a stunning knockout at Wembley Arena.
Mexico’s Lara, 22, landed a heavy knockdown in the fourth round and Warrington struggled to make the bell, his legs barely able to support him.
Despite showing grit and trying to find poise, Warrington – a 1-25 betting favourite – was never able to recover.
In the ninth, a barrage of left hooks and a hard left hand wiped him out. Read more
Defending champion Sofia Kenin moved to tears after Australian Open defeat (CNN)
Sofia Kenin’s bid to defend her Australian Open title ended in disappointment on Thursday after she was knocked out of the tournament by world No. 65 Kaia Kanepi.
The American, who was moved to tears in her post-match press conference, looked way off her best and was beaten in straight sets 6-3 6-2 in just over an hour.
The 22-year-old Kenin had admitted to struggling with the pressure that comes with being champion and it showed — she made 22 unforced errors against the experienced Kanepi, who dominated throughout with her aggression.
“I obviously felt like I couldn’t find my rhythm. I was obviously too nervous,” said Kenin, who praised Kanepi’s performance. Read more
Spieth on cusp of ending long victory drought after stunning reversal at Pebble Beach (CBC)
Jordan Spieth holed out from 160 yards for eagle on the 16th hole at Pebble Beach, the start of a stunning turnaround that took him from two shots behind to a two-shot lead Saturday in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.
These moments used to happen when Spieth was winning all the time. This was the second time this week he holed out from the fairway, and now he is on the cusp of ending more than three years without a victory.
Jordan Spieth takes another step with a 67 to lead at Pebble Beach
He shot 1-under 71 as he goes for a second victory at Pebble Beach in the last five years. Read more
Messi scores twice as Barca extend run (BBC)
Lionel Messi and Francisco Trincao scored twice as Barcelona beat Alaves for a seventh consecutive La Liga win.
Trincao opened the scoring from a pass by Ilaix Moriba – both players were making their first La Liga starts – and Messi doubled the lead via the inside of the post from outside the box.
Luis Rioja gave struggling Alaves hope.
Trincao scored again after Messi’s shot was saved and then the Argentine netted an excellent 25-yard strike before Junior Firpo’s close-range fifth.
Messi and Trincao’s doubles both came on landmarks days. Read more
Canadian midfielder Desiree Scott itching to play after lengthy soccer hiatus (CBC)
Desiree Scott has been waiting a long time for her next game.
The 33-year-old midfielder from Winnipeg didn’t play in the NWSL’s Challenge Cup last summer due to family commitments and opted out of the league’s Fall Series. Her last match with Canada was March 10, 2020 — a 2-2 tie with Brazil at a tournament in France.
Next week’s SheBelieves Cup can’t come soon enough.
“It’s really been a long time coming to get on a field with other people,” Scott told reporters Friday from Florida. “So the first [Canada] team meeting, we walked in and I just got teary-eyed because I’ve really missed being in the environment and in that team aspect of things.”
Schmidt set to earn 200th-cap milestone for Canadian soccer team at SheBelieves Cup
Canadian women’s soccer coach Priestman approaching SheBelieves Cup as Tokyo tune-upScott, a tenacious ball-winner who has earned 157 caps, and the eighth-ranked Canadians open play next Thursday against the top-ranked U.S. at the four-country tournament in Orlando. Read more