FIRS boss: Only 41 million people pay tax in Nigeria (Vanguard)
Muhammad Nami, the Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), has said that only 41 million pay taxes in Nigeria out of the over 200 million population in the country.
Nami made the disclosure at the ‘Public Presentation and Breakdown of the Highlights of the 2022 Appropriation Bill’ in Abuja on Friday.
He said that in spite of the 41 million tax payers in the country, Nigeria still earned lower than what its counterparts across Africa generates from Personal Income Taxes (PIT).
“If you also compare that with South Africa where they have a total population of about 60 million people, with just 4 million taxpayers, the total personal income tax paid in South Africa last year was about N13 trillion. You can now see that these things are not adding up. Read more
Tiwa Savage reveals sex tape blackmail (BBC)
Nigerian Afrobeats star Tiwa Savage has revealed she is being blackmailed over a sex tape but says she won’t pay.
She said the video was accidentally posted on Snapchat by her lover who deleted it after he realised his error but it had already been downloaded by a stalker.
She said she cried when she first saw the video and feared the reaction.
Savage, 41, is one of the world’s biggest Afrobeats stars and is signed to Universal Music Group. Read more
Lagos Speaker explains why Lagos is ‘epicentre’ of drug abuse (Tribune)
The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. (Dr) Mudashiru Obasa has promised that the state legislature will continue to support the fight against drug abuse and its effects on the youths and residents of the state.
Obasa made the promise when he played host to top officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) led by its state commander, Mr Ralph Igwenagu, on Thursday evening.
The Speaker expressed hope that a collective fight against the societal challenge would help to further sustain a safe and well-protected Lagos.
He said he was not surprised that Lagos has been described as one of the epicentres of drug abuse in the country saying with an influx of people from other states, it should be expected. Read more
Ikeja Electric introduces SingleView for prepaid meter management (Nation)
Ikeja Electric Plc (IE) has announced the introduction of Singleview, an interactive platform designed to enable prepaid meter customers access their vending pattern and consumption.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the platform was unveiled by Mrs Folake Soetan, Chief Executive Officer, Ikeja Electric on Friday in Ikeja.
Soetan said the platform serves as a major touch point where prepaid meter customers could access personal information such as energy vending record and consumption history.
According to her, they can also access month-on-month energy consumption, account number, account status, tariff class and rates. Read more
My sister marrying at 60 when we’ve given up -Fred Amata (Punch)
Veteran actor, Fred Amata, has announced the marriage ceremony of his elder sister, Erumena, stating that the family gave up on her at 60, because she could not get married at a younger age.
In an Instagram post on Friday, the Nollywood icon stated that his sister had been ridiculed due to her inability to get married.
Sharing his “testimony of faith”, Amata wrote, “Sister Mena grew up in a strict environment of high morality. She would develop to become an example of steadfastness and commitment. Read more
Biafra: Army releases arrested Nollywood actor (DailyTrust)
Nollywood actor, Chinwetalu Agu, has been released from custody of the Nigerian Army.
The actor was arrested at Upper Iweka bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, after some soldiers spotted him dressed in Biafran attire.
He was accused of campaigning for the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and the Eastern Security Network (ESN).
In a video posted by Nollywood actor, Emeka Ike, on Instagram, Agu was seen with two representatives from the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) who went to secure his release.
One of the representatives said, “Thank You very much members of Actors Guild of Nigeria. Mr President sent me here yesterday because of the problem that the army had with Chinwetalu Agu. I am here at 82 division Army headquarters here in Enugu. This is Chinwetalu Agu. Read more
Court to deliver judgment in suit against Abdulrasheed Maina Nov. 8 (Guardian)
Justice Okon Abang of a Federal High Court, Abuja on Friday fixed Nov. 8 for judgment in the alleged N2.1 billion fraud suit filed against Abdulrasheed Maina, Chairman, defunct Pension Reformed Task Team (PRTT).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had, on Oct. 25, 2019, arraigned Maina (1st defendant), alongside his firm, Common Input Property and Investment Ltd (2nd defendant) before the judge.
The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the 12-count charge bordering on money laundering to the tune of N2 billion.
Earlier, Anayo Adibe, who was counsel to Maina, had prayed the court to give the defence more time to file their final written addresses, following the dismissal of their Aug. 6 motion, praying the court to reopen his client’s case to allow them call their witnesses. Read more
Nigeria receives 501,600 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from France (Tribune)
The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) has officially received 501,600 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from the COVAX facility as donations from the Government of France to Nigeria.
The Executive Director, NPHCDA, Dr Faisal Shuaib, while receiving the vaccines on Friday in Abuja, at the National Strategic Cold Store, said Nigeria was among the African countries to receive vaccines from the Government of France to Nigeria.
Nigeria had in March 2021 commenced COVID-19 vaccination on having received approximately four million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines from COVAX as an initiative aimed at ensuring equitable distribution of vaccines globally.
The country recently flagged off the second phase of COVID-19 vaccination having received another 4 million doses of Moderna vaccines from the government of the United States of America. Read more
Man plunges nine stories from NJ high-rise, lands on BMW — and survives (NYPost)
A man plunged nine stories from a high-rise in Jersey City, New Jersey, landed on a BMW — and miraculously survived, according to officials and a witness.
The 31-year-old crashed through the roof of the black Beemer 330i parked below 26 Journal Square at 10:20 a.m. Wednesday, then stood up with his right arm dangling at his side and asked, “What happened?” onlooker Christina Smith, 21, told The Post.
According to witnesses, the man plunged through the roof of the BMW and then quickly got back up.
“I heard a big boom and I didn’t think it was a person at first,” said Smith. “The back window of the car just busted out — exploded. Then the guy jumped up and started screaming. His arm was all twisted.”
“I was like, ‘Oh my God!’ I was shocked. It was like being in a movie,” said Smith, who works in sales and had been strolling to a nearby McDonald’s.
“He was like, ‘What happened?’ And was like, You fell,” she said. Read more
Phil Collins in good spirits as he continues Genesis tour in Glasgow while seated amid health issues (Metro)
Phil Collins has proven to be a true professional as he continued Genesis’ tour last night in Glasgow while remaining seated due to his ongoing health issues.
The Follow You Follow Me hitmakers brought their UK jaunt to The SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland on Thursday where they performed to thousands of nostalgic fans.
During his appearance at the latest The Last Domino tour show, Phil, 70, sat on a chair in front of his bandmates while performing their iconic hits on-stage. He’s unable to continue playing the drums but was still able to entertain fans and looked to be in good spirits as he belted out their tracks. Read more
California makes it illegal to remove condom without consent (NYPost)
California became the first state to prohibit “stealthing,” or removing a condom without permission during intercourse, after Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill into law Thursday.
The new measure amends the state’s civil code, adding the act to the state’s civil definition of sexual battery. That makes it clear that victims can sue perpetrators for damages, including punitive damages.
It makes it illegal to remove condoms without obtaining verbal consent.
Democratic Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia originally tried to make it a crime in 2017 after a Yale University study that year said acts of stealthing were increasing against both women and gay men. Read more
Nobel Peace Prize: Journalists Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov share award (BBC)
Journalists Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov have won the Nobel Peace Prize for their fights to defend freedom of expression in the Philippines and Russia.
The Nobel committee called the pair “representatives of all journalists who stand up for this ideal”.
The editors are known for hard-hitting investigations that have angered their countries’ rulers, and both have faced significant threats.
They were chosen out of 329 candidates. Read more
Queen Latifah recalls being told to lose weight on ‘Living Single’ (PageSix)
Queen Latifah had a body-shaming experience where higher-ups told her to drop some pounds for an acting role in the ’90s.
“I can remember specifically doing ‘Living Single’ and the word came down that we needed to lose weight. Here we are, four different women, four different body types, and we needed to lose weight,” Latifah, 51, recalled to “Entertainment Tonight” Thursday.
While the actress was taken aback by the request, she remembered sticking up for herself and co-stars Kim Coles, Kim Fields and Erika Alexander.
“If anything, it angered me and disheartened me, but it really angered me,” she said. “I said, ‘We are what women look like. We’re not going to lose weight for whoever’s idea of what we’re supposed to look like.’” Read more
Afghanistan: Deadly attack hits Kunduz mosque during Friday prayers (BBC)
A suicide bomb attack on a mosque in the Afghan city of Kunduz has killed at least 50 people, officials say, in the deadliest assault since US forces left.
Bodies were seen scattered inside the Said Abad mosque, used by the minority Shia Muslim community.
More than 100 people were injured in the blast in the northern city.
No group has said it was behind the attack, but Sunni Muslim extremists, including a local Islamic State group, have targeted the Shia community. Read more
Rolling Stones reveal Charlie Watts recorded new tracks before death (NYPost)
The Rolling Stones said their late drummer Charlie Watts recorded new songs before his death.
Dave J Hogan/Getty Images for Th
Fans haven’t heard the last of Charlie Watts.
Although the late Rolling Stones drummer died this past August, his legacy will live on.
The remaining members of the iconic British rock band — Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood — revealed to the Los Angeles Times that Watts recorded some new music before he passed.
While the coronavirus pandemic delayed the group’s upcoming album, the trio said that Watts had worked on several new songs before his death.
“If everything hadn’t gotten closed down, we might’ve finished the damn thing,” Richards, 77, said. Read more
Shannon Courtenay set to be stripped of WBA title after missing weight for Mitchell fight (BBC)
Shannon Courtenay will still fight Jamie Mitchell despite missing the weight
Shannon Courtenay is set to be stripped of her WBA bantamweight belt after missing the weight for her title defence against Jamie Mitchell.
The 28-year-old Briton weighed in 2.5lbs over the 188lbs (13st 6lb) limit on Friday afternoon in Liverpool.
Her bout will go ahead and promoter Eddie Hearn believes Mitchell will be allowed to fight for the belt.
“Shannon Courtenay has missed weight and I’ll let her make a statement,” Hearn told IFL TV. Read more
Mikel Arteta beats Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola to win Premier League manager of the month (Metro)
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has beaten Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola to win the Premier League’s manager of the month award for September.
After losing their first three Premier League games in August to Brentford, Chelsea and Manchester City, Arteta’s side showed a drastic improvement in September by beating Norwich City, Burnley and Tottenham.
The Gunners were the only team in the Premier League to win all three matches in September and Arteta has now won the division’s manager of the month award for the first time in his career.
Guardiola, Klopp, Brighton manager Graham Potter and Aston Villa boss Dean Smith were the other candidates on the five-man shortlist. Read more
Laporta: I hoped Messi would offer to play for free (Guardian)
Barcelona president Joan Laporta admitted on Friday he hoped Lionel Messi would change his mind about leaving the club and offer to play for free.
Messi joined Paris Saint-Germain in August after Barca decided not to renew the Argentinian’s contract due to La Liga’s strict salary limits.
“There came a time when both parties saw that it would not be possible. There was a disappointment on both sides,” Laporta told Catalan radio station RAC1.
“He wanted to stay but they also had a lot of pressure because of the offer they had. They knew if he didn’t stay, he would go to PSG.” Read more
Turkish Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton takes engine penalty (BBC)
Lewis Hamilton will have a 10-place grid penalty at Sunday’s Turkish Grand Prix but topped both Friday sessions at Istanbul Park.
Mercedes have taken a fourth engine – one more than is permitted – to reduce the risks of him suffering a failure during the tight championship run-in.
But he has taken only one power-unit component – the internal combustion engine – so escapes a full grid drop.
The aim is to lose as little ground to title rival Max Verstappen as possible. Read more
US judge recommends Cristiano Ronaldo rape case to be dismissed (Metro)
A US judge has recommended for the civil case against Cristiano Ronaldo over sexual assault allegations to be dismissed.
Ronaldo has been accused of raping Kathryn Mayorga in a hotel in Las Vegas in June 2009.
Mayorga signed a non-disclosure agreement in 2010 and was paid £275,000 to not go public with her allegation.
Criminal proceedings against Ronaldo were reopened in 2018 but closed the following year after prosecutors decided the allegations could not be ‘proven beyond reasonable doubt’. Read more
New sexual misconduct allegations in women’s football (DW)
Footballers in Australia and Venezuela have revealed harassment and sexual abuse within their respective countries. The new claims come in the wake of a sexual misconduct case in the United States.
More female footballers have come out in recent days talking about their experiences with sexual abuse, harassment and bullying from within the game.
In Australia, former international Lisa De Vanne said she had suffered from sexual assault and harassment during her career. Similar allegations have also been made by dozens of Venezuela’s top football players, including Atletico Madrid striker Deyna Castellanos.
The new claims come in the wake of a sexual misconduct scandal in the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL), which has led to the resignation of league commissioner Lisa Baird. The scandal began when two former players, Mana Shim and Sinead Farrelly, came forward with allegations of harassment against former North Carolina Courage coach Paul Riley. Read more