Friends prevented soldiers from going away with my son’s body in Lekki – Grieving mother (Punch)
The mother of one Anthony, who was among the #EndSARS protesters allegedly shot dead by soldiers at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos, is in grief over the circumstances surrounding her son’s death.
Soldiers had on Tuesday opened fire on the protesters and no fewer than six persons were alleged to have been killed in the process.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who had initially declared that no death was recorded, later confirmed three casualties as against the huge figures quoted by eyewitnesses at the scene of the incident. Read more
It’s time for state police – Tinubu (Vanguard)
The National Leader of All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has said it was time to create state police, recruit and train more officers to fill the gaps in how military and law enforcement deal with the pubic during peaceful civil disobedience and protests.
Tinubu said this in a statement on Sunday, in which he also addressed issues surrounding the #EndSARS protest that turned tragic last Tuesday when soldiers shot at peaceful protesters at Lekki Tollgate.
Speaking on state police, Tinubu said such state law units will be based on modern tenets of community policing and cooperation with locals. Read more
Lagos further eases curfew (Guardian)
Lagos State government on Sunday further reduced the curfew time in the state.
Chief press secretary to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Gboyega Akosile said the curfew will now run from 8 pm to 6 am while movement will be allowed between 6 am and 8 pm.
Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday imposed a 24-hour curfew due to the violence in different parts of Lagos State. The curfew was eased on Saturday from 6 pm to 8 am.
He said the curfew was necessary because the “peaceful #EndSARS protest has degenerated into a monster that is threatening the well-being of our society. Read more
I’ve no hand in Lekki shootings, says Tinubu (Nation)
All Progressives Congress (APC) National Leader Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has reiterated he was not party to the deployment of soldiers against peaceful protesters in Lekki, Lagos State.
He said although he had been a victim of wrong attribution in the past as a public figure, the allegation that he called on soldiers to kill Lagosians was a “complete,” “terrible” and “foulest of lies.”
The eminent politician said those telling lies against him tried to manipulate people’s anger to advance political objectives that had nothing to do with the subject matter of the protests. Read more
CSOs call on NASS to investigate Lekki shooting to douse youths’ anger (Vanguard)
Civil Society Orgainsations (CSO) have called on the National Assembly and the Federal Government to investigate the Lekki Toll Plaza shooting of #EndSARS protesters as a way of dousing youths’ anger across the country.
Mr Hamzat Lawal, Executive Director, Connected Development (CODE), said that thousands of Nigerian Youths recently took to the streets to decry and protest the brutality, assaults and unjust shooting by the police.
Lawal, however, said that the peaceful demonstrations against police brutality were cracked down with aggressive response and shootings unleashed by security officials. Read more
Buhari breaks silence on Lekki shootings, pledges justice for dead protesters (Nation)
Almost a week after, President Muhammadu Buhari has broken his silence on the shooting of #ENDSARS protesters in Lekki, Lagos by suspected security operatives.
He vowed to ensure justice for “peaceful protesters who lost their lives.”
The President, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, explained he decided not to talk on the shooting incident until he had access to all the facts.
He also promised property owners and business owners affected by the arson across the nation would get justice. Read more
#EndSARS: We must play our part to make Nigeria great – Otedola (Vanguard)
In the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests that rocked the country, billionaire businessman, Femi Otedola, has said everyone must play a part to make Nigeria great.
Reacting to the events via his verified Instagram handle, he recalled how he took part in the ‘Ali-must-go’ protest of 1978, noting that he understands the youths’ determination to make the country better.
Otedola wrote: “The horrors that have been unfolding in our country have left me filled with sadness.
“I deeply commiserate with those who have lost their loved ones and, as a father, I share the sentiment of my three daughters who protested in Lagos and London. Read more
Expired, dangerous drugs looted in Kaduna, says NAFDAC (Nation)
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Sunday informed Kaduna State Government that following the destruction of its office, looters have made away with expired, prohibited and dangerous drugs.
It stated that persons who consume such drugs are at great risk of serious illness and death.
Its Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, who alerted Governor Nasir El-Rufai about the act, lauded the state government for taking prompt action to safeguard the health of its citizens. Read more
Wilton Gregory: Pope Francis names first African-American cardinal (BBC)
Washington’s archbishop since 2019, is seen as a progressive with similar views to Pope Francis
Pope Francis has said he will appoint 13 new Roman Catholic cardinals, among them the first African-American clergyman.
The Pope announced the 13 cardinals from eight nations in a surprise address from his window overlooking St Peter’s Square in Rome on Sunday.
Wilton Daniel Gregory, the progressive 72-year-old Archbishop of Washington DC, will be one of them. Read more
Rapper Silento ‘arrested for speeding and reckless driving’ (Metro)
Silentó has reportedly been arrested for reckless driving and speeding. According to TMZ the rapper was pulled over on his way from a nightclub in Georgia on Friday when he was spotted driving at 143mph in a 65mphzone. The police report, seen by the gossip site, details the 22-year-old’s car changing lanes and swerving. When asked why he was driving so far, the Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) rapper is said to have replied: ‘People be following me wherever I go’. Read more
Pakistani PM Khan calls on Facebook to ban all ‘Islamophobic’ content (RT)
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan has written to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, urging him to ban all “Islamophobic content” on the platform, claiming Muslims are being subjected to a Holocaust-like “pogrom” across the world.
Praising recent Facebook’s decision to weed out all content that “denies or distorts” the Holocaust, Khan urged the social media platform to implement similar rules in regard to “Islamophobic” posts.
“I appreciate your taking the step to rightly ban any posting that criticizes or questions the Holocaust, which was the culmination of the Nazi pogrom of the Jews in Germany and across Europe as Nazis spread across Europe,” the PM wrote. Read more
France urges Arab nations to prevent boycotts over Macron’s cartoons defence (BBC)
France has urged Middle Eastern countries to end calls for a boycott of its goods in protest at President Emmanuel Macron’s defence of the right to show cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
The French foreign ministry said the “baseless” calls for a boycott were being “pushed by a radical minority”.
French products have been removed from some shops in Kuwait, Jordan and Qatar.
Meanwhile, protests have been seen in Libya, Syria and the Gaza Strip. Read more
Cardi B laughs at Gordon Ramsay meme about her ‘pancake boobs’ (Metro)
Cardi B has definitely seen the funny side of her accidental nude leak, with the star left in stitches at a meme featuring Gordon Ramsay and her boobs. The WAP hitmaker previously explained that she was horrified when she attempted to send a nude to her estranged husband Offset (with the pair now giving things another go) but accidentally posted it to her Instagram Stories. However, she’s made the best of the situation, joking about it with her fans. ‘I kept seeing motherf***kers edit pancakes on my nipples,’ she tweeted. Read more
Covid in Australia: Victoria sees first day without a case since June (BBC)
Victoria in Australia has recorded no new Covid-19 cases for the first time since Melbourne – the state capital – went into lockdown 111 days ago.
The state was the epicentre of Australia’s second wave, accounting for over 90% of the country’s 905 deaths.
It saw cases surge to over 700 per day in July, but severe stay-at-home rules and a curfew have curbed the numbers. Read more
Giro d’Italia: Tao Geoghegan Hart wins first Grand Tour (BBC)
Tao Geoghegan Hart – pronounced “Tayo Gay-gan Hart” – abandoned the 2019 Giro after a crash on stage 13
Tao Geoghegan Hart became only the second British man to win the Giro d’Italia as he took the title in Milan.
The 25-year-old won Saturday’s stage 20 to share the lead with Jai Hindley before the final stage, the first such instance in the race’s history.
Ineos Grenadiers’ Geoghegan Hart finished 39 seconds ahead of Hindley in Sunday’s 15.7km time trial. Read more
Ronaldinho confirms he has tested positive for Covid-19 (Metro)
Ronaldinho has confirmed that he has tested positive for Covid-19, with the Barcelona and Brazil legend self-isolating in Belo Horizonte. The 40-year-old says that he is not struggling with any symptoms, but has returned the positive test and will have to miss out on a planned event in Belo Horizonte as a result. ‘I’ve been here in BH since yesterday, I came to participate in an event,’ said the Brazilian on Sunday. Read more
Patrick Cantlay seals one-shot win at Zozo Championship (BBC)
American Patrick Cantlay posted nine birdies in a seven-under 65 to capture the Zozo Championship by one stroke.
The 28-year-old world number 14 began the final day three shots behind leader Justin Thomas but finished on 23 under for his third PGA Tour victory.
Thomas made three birdies in the first six holes but finished with a 69 to share second with Jon Rahm (68).
Rory McIlroy made 29 birdies over the week, his record for a PGA Tour 72-hole event, but was eight back in tied 17th. Read more
Mikel Arteta criticises Arsenal forwards after defeat to Leicester City (Metro)
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta rued his side’s charity in front of goal after Leicester City’s 1-0 win at the Emirates.
The Gunners controlled proceedings in the first half but they failed to find an opener, with Alexandre Lacazette particularly guilty of squandering good openings for the hosts. The Frenchman thought he’d broken the deadlock when he headed past Kasper Schmeichel from a corner but the goal was disallowed after Granit Xhaka was adjudged to have been in an offside position. Read more
Both brothers score – for opposing teams – in Napoli win (BBC)
Lorenzo Insigne cancelled out a goal from younger brother Roberto as Napoli fought back to beat local rivals Benevento and move second in Serie A.
Roberto, 26, who left Napoli in 2019, put Benevento ahead in the 30th minute.
But Napoli captain Lorenzo, 29, curled a 20-yard effort in off the crossbar after an hour and Andrea Petagna scored the winner eight minutes later.
“After the game, I told him my left is better than his,” joked Lorenzo, who has played 352 games for Napoli. Read more
Southampton end Everton’s unbeaten run with 2-0 win (Nation)
Southampton beat English Premier League (EPL) leaders Everton 2-0 at St Mary’s Stadium on Sunday.
Goals from James Ward-Prowse and Che Adams ensured Carlo Ancelotti’s side became the final club to lose a game this season.
Everton remains top of the standings with 13 points and a healthier goal difference than city rivals and reigning champions Liverpool.
But Southampton moved up to fifth with their third win in four matches. Read more