Helicopter crash: “We are grateful to God” – Residents (Vanguard)
Some residents of Salvation Road in Opebi area of Ikeja, Lagos have expressed shock over the crash of a helicopter into a building, thanking God for saving their lives.
The residents, who spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the scene of the incident on Friday called for proper maintenance of aircraft before flying.
Mrs Grace Awolaja, a resident, told NAN that it was shocking and surprising to experience such an unexpected incident.
According to Awolaja, the helicopter was seen hovering in the sky for some minutes before crashing into the building.
“We thank God that nobody was affected in the building but l learnt that the pilot and two people died,’’ Awolaja said. Read more
Capsized boat responsible for death of 12 people, operated illegally – LASWA (Nation)
The Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA) on Friday informed an Ikeja High Court that a boat which capsized at the Kirikiri area of Lagos, which was responsible for the death of 12 persons, operated illegally.
The Head of Operation of LASWA, Mr Ibrahim Famuyiwa made the revelation during the trial of the captain of the boat, Happiness Elebiju, charged with 11 counts of involuntary manslaughter.
Famuyiwa the first prosecution witness, told the court that the capsized boat operated from an illegal jetty.
Led in evidence by the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, the LASWA official informed the court that because the jetty were the boat operates was illegal, it lacked state presence. Read more
How kidnappers killed our husbands, impregnated us, by Toto rescued victims (Nation)
Kidnap victims rescued by military operations in Toto Local Government Area of Nasarawa State have narrated how kidnappers impregnated them after killing their husbands.
They were rescued from the new terrorist group camp in Toto called ‘Darul Salam’ after the military bombed and invaded the camp, which existed for over a year.
Speaking to The Nation, a rescued widow, Kadijaf Abdullahi, whose husband was kidnapped and killed in Gombe, said: “After killing my husband, they took me to the bush and we have been there for nine months where they impregnated me.
“We only woke up last week and saw military shooting and killing them, the one who always sleep with me as my new husband, I don’t know whether he was killed too.” Read more
Alleged kidnap: Court remands herder pending legal advice (Guardian)
An Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ibadan on Friday, ordered that a herder, Mounde Adamu , 21, who alleged kidnapped a man, be remanded, pending legal advice.
The police charged Adamu, who lives in Asunnara area, Igangan , Oyo State with two counts of conspiracy and kidnapping.
Chief Magistrate Olaide Amzat, who did not take plea of Adamu, ordered that he be remanded in the custody of the Anti-kidnapping Squad, Eleyele, Ibadan.
Amzat ordered that the case file be returned to the Oyo State Directorate of Public Prosecution, (DPP) for legal advice.
He adjourned the matter until September 29, for mention. Read more
Man escapes lynching for dumping baby in canal (Nation)
A 32-year-old man identified as Muyiwa Ayorinde narrowly escaped death after he was caught dumping his baby in a canal in Oke-Aro area of Akure.
Muyiwa was beaten almost to a coma by a mob attracted by the cry of the baby.
It was timely intervention of security operatives that saved him from being killed.
Witnesses said he was spotted by a resident in the area while throwing a black nylon containing the three- week-old baby into the canal but the cry of the baby gave him out. Read more
Edo 2020: Be neutral in handling polls, INEC Chairman urges electoral officers (Vanguard)
Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, National Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has urged the commission’s officials in the 18 local government areas (LGAs), of Edo to be neutral and professional in handling the Sept. 19, governorship elections.
Yakubu made the call at a meeting with the Electoral Officers (EOs), Heads of departments, heads of Units and other members of staff of the commission on Friday in Benin.
He said, “we are really happy to be here, we have heard so much about the preparation about Edo election and we thought we should come and see things for ourselves. Read more
FAAN hikes passenger service charge by 100% (Nation)
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) yesterday said starting from September 1, this year, Passenger Service Charge (PSC) will go up by 100 per cent.
Under the charge regime, domestic passengers who used to pay N1000 will now pay N2000, while international passengers within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) region will now pay $80 while others will pay $100.
Before the increment international passengers generally paid $50 as service charge.
Its Managing Director, Cap. Rabiu Yadudu, in a chat with reporters, said the increment was imperative in view of the loss recorded in the aviation sector. Read more
Police arrest kidnappers over death of victim following release (Vanguard)
Police in Rivers state have apprehended four persons and tracking more in connections with the kidnap of 65-year-old Sokari Braide who died two days after being released following payment of N1.2Million ransom.
The victim, a pensioner, was abducted August 8 by gunmen who originally targeted his evasive wife, Beatrice, in an ordeal in which one her relatives, Davies, aka Biggy was shot dead before her husband was whisked from their Elechi Waterfront Phase 2, Diobu, Port Harcourt home.
Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Rivers Command, SP, Nnamdi Omoni, stated yesterday that, “The abducted Braide was taken to an unknown destination for days. The kidnappers called the family for ransom. Without letting police know, they went to deliver N1.2Million. Read more
Shinzo Abe: Japan’s PM resigns for health reasons (BBC)
Japanese PM Shinzo Abe has announced his resignation for health reasons.
He said he did not want his illness to get in the way of decision making, and apologised to the Japanese people for failing to complete his term in office.
The 65-year-old has suffered for many years from ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease, but he said his condition had worsened recently.
Last year, he became Japan’s longest serving prime minister. His current period in office began in 2012.
He will remain in his post until a successor is chosen.
In 2007 he resigned abruptly from an earlier term as prime minister because of his struggles with ulcerative colitis, a chronic condition that he has lived with since he was a teenager. Read more
Hurricane Laura’s death toll rises in Louisiana (NYPost)
Hurricane Laura’s death toll rose late Thursday, after the storm cut a destructive path through Louisiana as a Category 4 monster.
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said in a press conference that at least four people were killed when wind-swept trees fell on residences.
The fatalities included 68-year-old Jimmy Cart of Iota, who was killed when a 50 to 60-foot pine tree crashed into his bedroom, the Acadiana Advocate reported.
He was dead when first responders arrived at the scene, said Acadia Sheriff K.P. Gibson. No other people inside the home were injured. Read more
Brad Pitt, 56, whisks off rumoured new love interest Nicole Poturalski, 27, to sprawling French chateau (Metro)
Brad Pitt has succeeded in keeping his romance with his rumoured new girlfriend – and Angelina Jolie lookalike – under his hat for almost a year. The Oscar winner has just whisked German model Nicole Poturalski off to the French chateau he once owned with ex-wife Ange — but the pair have been together since last year. New pictures have emerged of the 56-year-old looking smitten with Nicole at Kanye West’s Hollywood Bowl gig in November. They are sitting with Brad’s close friend Alia Shawkat but the Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood star’s French escape proves Nicole, 27, is the one who has captured his heart. Languages of love: Multilingual Nicole has hinted at a ‘better half’ (Picture: Instagram) Their secret dates also crush fans’ recent hopes that Brad would get together again with first wife Jennifer Aniston after they set the rumour mill turning with flirty scenes during awards season. Read more
Rand Paul confronted by Black Lives Matter protesters after RNC (NYPost)
Rand Paul confronted by a rowdy group of protesters in Washington D.C. after leaving the White House for the Republican National Convention.
Rand Paul confronted by a rowdy group of protesters in Washington D.C. after leaving the White House for the Republican National Convention.Reuters
Rand Paul was confronted by a rowdy group of Black Lives Matter protesters in Washington, DC, early Friday after leaving the White House for the Republican National Convention.
Paul was walking to the Hotel Washington with his wife when a crowd descended upon him while shouting “Say Her Name” and “Breonna Taylor.” Read more
R. Kelly was ‘attacked in jail’, says his lawyer (BBC)
Kelly faces dozens of state and federal sex crime charges, all of which he denies.
R. Kelly’s lawyer has requested his immediate release from jail, after he was allegedly attacked by another inmate.
Steve Greenberg said his client was attacked at Chicago’s Metropolitan Correctional Centre, where Kelly is awaiting trial on sex abuse charges.
The extent of the injuries are not known, Mr Greenberg said on Twitter.
Kelly has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges including abuse of minors and sex trafficking.
News of the alleged assault was first reported by TMZ, which said a fellow inmate started “punching” Kelly while he was sitting on his bed. Read more
Jeanette Epps set to become first black female astronaut on ISS in 2021 (NYPost)
NASA astronaut Jeanette Epps will make history next year when she becomes the first black female astronaut to be a crew member of the International Space Station, the space agency announced on Tuesday.
Epps, who has a doctorate in aerospace engineering and worked for the CIA as a technical intelligence officer for seven years prior to joining the astronaut corps in 2009, has been assigned to NASA Boeing Starliner-1.
“Epps will join NASA astronauts Sunita Williams and Josh Cassada for a six-month expedition planned for a launch in 2021 to the orbiting space laboratory,” NASA said in a release. Read more
Contagion prepared Kate Winslet for the coronavirus pandemic (Metro)
Back in season one of the coronavirus pandemic (remember banana bread?), everyone was turning to the 2011 thriller Contagion to make sense of what was happening around them.
And it turns out the film – which follows the race for a vaccine to halt the spread of a virus – helped some of its cast, too. Kate Winslet has revealed that starring in Contagion gave her a jump on preparing for Covid-19, leading to her wearing face masks months before the rest of the US.
The 44-year-old, who was filming in Philadelphia when reports of coronavirus emerged, told the Hollywood Reporter: ‘People thought I was crazy because I had been walking around wearing a mask for weeks, going into the grocery store and wiping everything down with isopropyl alcohol and wearing gloves. Read more
Arteta fears virus spike could damage Premier League season (Guardian)
Arsenal coach Mikel Arteta fears the spike in Premier League players contracting coronavirus is a sign the forthcoming season might be damaged by the pandemic.
Several top-flight players have tested positive for COVID-19 since returning from holiday ahead of the Premier League campaign’s opening matches on September 12.
Manchester United star Paul Pogba and Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele were left out of the France squad after positive tests this week.
Arteta was the first Premier League figure to get the virus in March, just days before the 2019-20 term was halted until June. Read more
Newcastle loan Sangare to Accrington (BBC)
Newcastle United have loaned midfielder Mo Sangare to Accrington Stanley for the entire League One season.
The Liberia international, 21, is yet to make a senior appearance for the Premier League club, but has been a regular for the under-23 side.
Sangare spent time in the north west with the Stanley development squad earlier in his career but was unable to gain a work permit to sign at the time.
He joins fellow Newcastle loanee Tom Allan at the Wham Stadium. Read more
Tyson Fury hits back at Anthony Joshua’s knockout prediction for unification clash (Metro)
Tyson Fury has vowed to knock out Anthony Joshua inside one round after his rival suggested he would finish the Gypsy King by the sixth round.
The British heavyweights are targeting two unification showdowns in 2021 and the path appears clear after former WBC mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte suffered a shock defeat to Alexander Povetkin.
Joshua holds the IBF, WBO and WBA (Super) belts and predicted he would become the first man to beat, and knockout, Fury. ‘First six rounds, I think, well I know I’m going to take him out then,’ AJ said on Sky’s A League of Their Own. Read more
Lionel Messi: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp rules out move for Barcelona forward (BBC)
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has ruled out a move for Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, but admits the Argentine would be “great” for the Premier League.
Messi’s future has been surrounded by speculation since asking to leave Barca but Klopp says there is “no chance” he will join the English champions.
Asked if he was interested in signing the 33-year-old, Klopp said: “Who doesn’t want Messi in their team? Read more
Thiago Silva: Chelsea sign Brazil defender on one-year deal (BBC)
Thiago Silva played his last game for Paris Saint-Germain in their Champions League final defeat by Bayern Munich on 23 August.
Brazil centre-back Thiago Silva has signed for Chelsea on a one-year deal, with the option of another.
The 35-year-old has joined the Blues on a free transfer having left Paris St-Germain after their Champions League final defeat on 23 August.
He will bolster the Blues’ defence, which conceded the most goals (54) in the Premier League top 10 in 2019-20.
“I am so happy to be joining Chelsea. I am delighted to be a part of Frank Lampard’s exciting squad,” Silva said. Read more
UFC fighter Colby Covington slams LeBron James and NBA players over boycott (Metro)
Colby Covington has blasted LeBron James and NBA players over their decision to boycott games in protest of the shooting of Jacob Blake.
The UFC star took exception with basketball players pushing for reform after Blake, 29, was shot several times in the back by Wisconsin police as he entered a car which held three of his children.
The Milwaukee Bucks sparked the historic protest from basketball players when they refused to play in game 5 of their NBA play-offs clash with Orlando Magic. Read more