Hoodlums rampage in mainland Lagos (Nation)
“We did not sleep last night,” lamented a lady who lives in Aboru, a suburb of Lagos.
“Residents banged on every door asking people to come out and keep watch against robbery attacks.”
She told The Nation that the residents were awake all night, making bonfires and keeping an out for robbers.
It was gathered that the residents believe the police seem incapable or unwilling to protect them.
The lady who spoke anonymously said neighbouring communities had been attacked, and that on hearing that the hoodlums may come to their area, they decided to defend themselves. Read more
Lockdown: IG deploys Special Forces to Lagos over rising crime (DailyTrust)
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, ordered immediate deployment of additional intelligence and operational assets of the Force, comprising the Police Mobile Force Units, the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, the Intelligence Response Team and the Special Tactical Squad, to Lagos and Ogun States to curb the rising cases of crime there. The team, according to a statement yesterday by the spokesman of the Force, Frank Mba, is coordinated by Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of the Department of Research and Planning of the Force and the coordinating DIG for the south-west, Peter Babatunde Ogunyanwo. Read more
How governance continues in Lagos despite COVID-19, by officials (Nation)
Whatever it takes and no matter how long it lasts, the fight against coronavirus is going to end on a victory note. That was the assurance from an inter-ministerial media briefing on COVID-19 at JJT Park, Alausa, where members of the Lagos State cabinet updated the public about what the state is doing to contain the pandemic.
Commissioner for Information and Strategy Gbenga Omotoso said the inter-ministerial briefing was designed to update residents on the efforts of the various ministries of government in the fight against the spread of the disease.
“It is meant to assure Lagosians that despite the threat posed by the pandemic, the people saddled with the task of running the affairs of the state have not stopped working. Read more
Police arrest 191 suspects over attack on Lagos, Ogun border communities (Vanguard)
The police on Monday said they had arrested 191 suspects in connection with the activities of hoodlums and street urchins in the border communities between Lagos and Ogun States.
The Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), DCP Frank Mba, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja.
He said exhibits recovered from the suspects were 15 locally made guns, 52 live cartridges, 42 cutlasses and axes, and large quantity of weeds suspected to be Marijuana.
Mba said the exhibits were recovered by the police teams in the Agbado, Ifo, Otta and Agege axis. Read more
PDP calls for imposition of curfew as robbery cases skyrocket in Lagos (Guardian)
The Lagos State Chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called for imposition of curfew in addition to the extension of the lockdown announced by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The state has witnessed resurgence of criminal activities in the past few days with residents in areas such as Iyana Ipaja, Agege, Egbeda, Ogba, among others keeping vigil to keep the suspected armed robbers terrorising them at bay.
The PDP Publicity Secretary, Taofiq Gani, in a statement on Monday night, called on Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu to immediately summon meeting of security agencies including leaders of community development associations (CDAs) to stem the tide of robbery. Read more
COVID-19: Experts back Buhari on lockdown extension (DailyTrust)
President Muhammadu Buhari last night extended the lockdown imposed on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos and Ogun states. In a nationwide broadcast monitored in Abuja, Buhari cited briefings and report from the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, as reasons for extending the restriction by 14 days. However, the decision to extend the restriction has attracted applause by health experts and professionals, while some residents of the FCT, Lagos and Ogun kicked against it. Read more
Maintain social distancing to halt spread of COVID-19, Lagos residents urged (Guardian)
The Director-General, Lagos State Safety Commission (LSC), Mr. Lanre Mojola and General Manager, Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), Dr. Dolapo Fasawe, have jointly urged Lagosians not to spread the COVID-19 virus by maintaining social distancing and carry out basic hygiene practices such as regular washing of hands.
The call was made yesterday when the COVID-19 joint taskforce on enforcement of social distancing and gatherings paid a courtesy call on the Oloja of Epe, Oba Kamorudeen Ishola Animashaun to sensitize and distribute stimulus welfare packages to the community following the lockdown caused by the pandemic. Read more
COVID-19: 10 Nigerians awaiting evacuation from UK test positive (Punch)
No fewer than 10 Nigerians, out of the 40 persons subjected to the mandatory COVID-19 test for those who registered in the United Kingdom to return home, have tested positive.
The results of the tests, which were released on Monday in London, indicated that the 10 individuals were asymptomatic, raising fears that they might have infected other people. Read more
Nigerians abandon 300,000 bank accounts in Q1’20 (Vanguard)
Nigerians abandoned 300,000 bank accounts in the first quarter of this year (Q1’20) even as the number of current accounts operated by bank customers declined by one million during the period.
Vanguard analysis of latest Nigerian Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS) Industry Customer Bank Account Data showed that the number of inactive bank accounts rose by 0.7 percent or 300,000 to 45.87 million in Q1’20 from 45.57 million in Q4’19. Read more
Boris ‘focusing on recovery’ with no fixed date of when he’ll return to work (Metro)
The Prime Minister is concentrating on his health rather than Government work, Downing Street has said. Boris Johnson is currently recuperating at his official country residence Chequers, in Buckinghamshire, after spending several days in St Thomas’ Hospital in London after contracting coronavirus. The PM’s official spokesman said: ‘The Prime Minister is focusing on his recovery and he is not currently carrying out Government work. ‘Having been discharged from hospital he is continuing his recovery at Chequers. ‘And, on the advice of his medical team, the Prime Minister is not immediately returning to work.’ Read more
China approves two experimental Covid-19 vaccines for clinical trials (France24)
China has approved early-stage human tests for two experimental vaccines to combat the new coronavirus that killed over 100,000 people worldwide, state media Xinhua reported on Tuesday.
The vaccines are being developed by a Beijing-based unit of Nasdaq-listed Sinovac Biotech, and by the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products, an affiliate of state-owned China National Pharmaceutical Group.
In March, China have the green-light for another clinical trial for a coronavirus vaccine candidate developed by military-backed China’s Academy of Military Medical Sciences and HK-listed biotech firm CanSino Bio, shortly after U.S. drug developer Moderna said it had begun human tests for their vaccine with the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
Vaccine needed to stop virus spread. Read more
Chloroquine study called off after irregular heartbeats detected in patients (NYPost)
Researchers called off a small Brazilian study on the anti-malaria drug chloroquine’s ability to combat coronavirus after some participants experienced potentially fatal heart complications.
The study, which was funded by the Brazilian state of Amazonas, administered the drug to 81 hospitalized patients in Manaus to determine its effectiveness battling coronavirus, according to a report on pre-publication server medRix.
But researchers said they were forced to halt the study early after “potential safety hazards” became apparent. Read more
US election 2020: Bernie Sanders endorses ex-rival Joe Biden for president (BBC)
Bernie Sanders has endorsed Joe Biden’s campaign to take on Donald Trump in November’s election.
Senator Sanders pulled out of the contest to be the Democratic Party’s nominee last week, leaving Mr Biden as the only remaining candidate.
In a live split-screen webcast, former vice-president Mr Biden thanked his former rival for the endorsement.
Senator Sanders urged all Americans to unite to defeat Mr Trump.
He described him as “the most dangerous president in the modern history of this country”. Read more
Macron admits French government ‘wasn’t prepared enough’ as he extends lockdown (Metro)
French President Emmanuel Macron has apologised for his government ‘not being prepared enough’ for the coronavirus pandemic, as he extended the country’s lockdown. France was put under lockdown on March 17 and will remain so until May 11, Mr Macron announced tonight during a TV address to the nation.
The head of state said the measures would be enforced as strictly as possible for another month but insisted that ‘joyous days were ahead’. Read more
Coronavirus: Austria reopens some shops as lockdown eased (BBC)
Austria is to reopen thousands of shops on Tuesday as it seeks to ease restrictions brought in to stem the spread of the coronavirus.
Garden centres, DIY stores and small shops will open as part of a step-by-step plan to restart the economy.
However strict social distancing rules remain in place, with people urged to stay at home as much as possible. Read more
Secret One Direction reunion could include new music (PageSix)
One Direction is secretly working on a plan to celebrate their 10th anniversary, Page Six can reveal — with ideas ranging from reuniting for a TV special to a new single.
However, a tour is ruled out, we’re told.
The now-defunct Brit boy band’s anniversary is coming up on July 23 and devoted followers have noticed that Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan have all refollowed Zayn Malik on Twitter, although Malik has not followed them back.
All five are now on different recording labels and have solo deals. Read more
Nigeria has potentials to win basketball medals at 2021 Olympics games – Oyedeji (DailyTrust)
A former D’Tigers captain, Olumide Oyedeji has expressed optimism that Nigeria has the potentials of winning medals in both the men and women basketball events at the Tokyo 2021 Olympic Games. The former NBA star who remains the longest serving D’Tigers captain spoke at the popular WhatsApp Forum “FCT Football Update” also said that the decision by the International Olympics Committee, IOC, to move the Tokyo Olympics to next year is the best decision considering the present situation with COVID-19. Oyedeji advised the teams’ technical crew to ensure that they provide a better structure, organization and adequate team spirit for them to excel. Read more
Clubs to pay more for Osimhen snub (Punch)
Stéphane Pauwels, a columnist with Belgian newspaper La Voix du Nord has said some Ligue 1 sides took Victor Osimhen for granted and will pay dearly for it.
The Nigerian has been fantastic for his French club Lille this season with 13 goals and five assists in 27 league games this season.
Many European clubs especially English Premier League sides Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Spanish giants Real Madrid have made enquiries about the former VfL Wolfsburg player. Read more
Woods relives joy of winning fifth Masters (Vanguard)
Fifteen-time major winner Tiger Woods says he can’t help feeling like the green jacket he claimed for winning the Masters last year doesn’t belong in his locker anymore.
The 44-year-old Woods doesn’t like the idea of holding onto the coveted sports coat due to the world-wide coronavirus epidemic that led to the 2020 Masters tournament being postponed until November.
The pandemic “has been a shock to all of us. We know it’s still going to continue to get worse. It’s a very difficult situation, a very difficult time, a unique time in history,” Woods told CBS television on Sunday. Read more
NPFL stars, Nwagua, Atule can’t wait to play football again (DailyTrust)
Two star players in the Nigeria Professional Football League, Nyima Nwagua of Kano Pillars and Joseph Atule of Katsina United have said they are eager to return to action in the domestic football league. It will be recalled that following the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, the League Management Company on March 18 suspended indefinitely the Nigeria Professional Football League. However, going by the continuous rise in the number of confirmed cases in the country, the league organisers recently said it cannot tell in certain terms when the league would resume. Read more
Real Madrid make move for Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Metro)
Barcelona face competition from Real Madrid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after Zinedine Zidane’s side made an initial move for the Arsenal captain.
The Gabon star will have 12 months remaining on his deal at the Emirates by the end of the season and talks over extending his contract have been met with reluctance. Much will depend on Arsenal’s chances of qualifying for the Champions League and with that looking unlikely, Aubameyang had been expected to move on. Barcelona had been leading the race for the former Dortmund star and reports in Spain had even claimed Aubameyang recently bought a house in Catalonia in preparation for a move to the Camp Nou. Read more
Formula 1: French Grand Prix set to be postponed because of the coronavirus crisis (BBC)
The French Grand Prix is set to be the next Formula 1 event to be postponed as a result of the coronavirus crisis.
French President Emmanuel Macron said in a televised address to the nation on Monday that restrictions on public events would continue until mid-July.
France’s round of the F1 championship is set to be held at the Circuit Paul Ricard, near Marseille, on 28 June.
F1 was unable to officially confirm the situation surrounding the race when contacted by BBC Sport. Read more
How Mets are using technology to connect with their players (NYPost)
Have you seen the viral clip of the Israeli mom, mocking the concern over her suddenly remote-learning kids?
“How’s the child feeling?!” she asks, exasperated. “He’s spending the entire day on his cell phone — he’s fine!”
The Mets could have told you that even before the coronavirus pandemic turned our world upside down.
On March 12, when Major League Baseball shut down spring training and suspended the start of its season, R. L’Heureux Lewis-McCoy was at Clover Park, conducting classes with Mets staff members on how to best communicate with the group of (primarily) millennials that comprises the franchise’s most important asset: Its playing talent. Read more