Hoodlums vandalise pipeline at Aboru for fuel theft – LASEMA (Guardian)
The Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, says hoodlums have vandalised pipeline at Aboru, Iyan-Ipaja, for fuel theft.
Oke-Osanyintolu made the disclosure to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) after the LASEMA Response Team (LRT) discovered the unlawful operation in Lagos.
NAN recalls that some months ago, pipeline explosion occurred at Abule-Egba which rendered 300 people homeless before government moved them to the Internally Displaced Person (IDP) camp at Igando. Read more
Third Mainland Bridge: FG, Lagos seek commuters’ cooperation (Punch)
The federal and the Lagos state governments have appealed to commuters to cooperate with the relevant agencies during the six-month partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for maintenance work.
The Federal Government had on Monday announced the partial closure of the bridge from July 24 to January 24, 2021for maintenance work.
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukayode Popoola, stated that necessary measures were being put in place to reduce gridlock during the partial closure of the bridge.
Popoola said at a press briefing on Tuesday that there would be diversion of traffic in two phases during the partial closure of the bridge. Read more
Lagos receives 16 vehicles from Shell (Nation)
The Lagos State Government on Wednesday received 16 security operations vehicles from Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company Ltd (SNEPCo) toward enhancing security in the state.
Speaking during the handover ceremony at the Lagos House, Marina, Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu said the donation of the security vehicles was a promise kept by the donors.
Sanwo-Olu said that the vehicles would be deployed for the purpose for which they were donated. Read more
New Oniru lacks authority to seal properties, Estate residents write Sanwo-Olu (Punch)
Some residents of Oniru Private Estate in Lagos State have called on Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to call Oba Abdul Wasiu Lawal to order over his alleged actions within the Estate.
This was contained in a public letter directed to the governor and published on page 10 of The PUNCH of Wednesday, July 8, 2020.
In the letter entitled, ‘Open Letter to Mr Governor’ and signed by ‘Concerned Residents of Oniru Private Estate’, the residents said before the coronation of Oba Lawal last month, there had been no issues in the relatively “peaceful and harmonious” estate and “no one has challenged our titles to their properties until now”. Read more
Magu’s suspension: Mohammed Umar takes over as EFCC boss (DailyTrust)
Mr Mohammed Umar, the Director of Operations, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has been picked to oversee the affairs of the agency in the absence of the suspended chairmain, IbrahimMagu.
A top official of the commission disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Tuesday. EFCC: Cops who would likely succeed Magu Actions on Buhari’s 774,000 jobs scheme null and void — Lawan The source, who asked not to be named, said Umar was chosen by the “EFCC’s hierarchy” following the reported suspension of Magu. Read more
Low passenger turnout as domestic flight operations resume (ThisDay)
There was low turnout of passengers Wednesday as scheduled domestic flight operations resumed.
Flight restart was kicked off by Arik Air, which records the first flight from Lagos to Abuja, three months and 14 days after the nation’s air space was closed for scheduled passenger service.
At the average fare of N29,000 for economy class, spokesman of Arik Air, Adebanji Ola, told THISDAY that the load factor was average “and the second flight was even better than the first in terms of passenger turnout.” Read more
Seven killed as explosion rocks NNPC facility (Punch)
An explosion on Oil Mining Lease 40 operated by the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company has killed seven workers, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation announced on Wednesday.
NPDC is the flagship subsidiary of NNPC.
The explosion occurred on Tuesday at the petroleum company’s Benin River Valve Station.
The Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Kennie Obateru, said the BRVS explosion happened at Gbetiokun, OML 40, operated by NPDC. Read more
FG signs MOU on Ajaokuta jetty landing port (Nation)
The Federal Government has signed a Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with Sealink Promotional Company Limited on the use of Ajaokuta jetty landing port.
It said it is a giant stride in the actualisation of its bid to develop the economy and diversify from crude oil.
Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Arc Olamilekan Adegbite signed the MOU on Wednesday in Abuja. Read more
Newborn baby holds contraceptive coil that failed to stop mum getting pregnant (Metro)
It’s an image to instill deep fear into the hearts of anyone who doesn’t plan to have children: a newborn baby clutching the IUD that failed to stop their mum getting pregnant.
The photo shows a baby boy clutching what reports claim is his mum’s copper coil after his birth at Hai Phong International Hospital, in the city of Hai Phong in northern Vietnam.
VN Express reports that the boy’s 34-year-old mother, who has two other children, had the contraceptive coil inserted two years ago. Read more
Black Lives Matter protesters in New York: ‘Confrontation works’ (Aljazeera)
When the first Black Lives Matter protests reached New York City in 2014, Carlos Williams stood on the periphery – at the literal edge of the action, in fact.
“The closest I ever got was putting my toes on the edge of the sidewalk and facing off with a cop … chanting ‘Black Lives Matter’. I didn’t want to get into the fray,” the 33-year-old who calls himself a “Black kid from Brooklyn” explains from his office in Manhattan’s financial district. Read more
WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger to merge (Metro)
Facebook appears to be testing a new feature that merges Facebook Messenger with WhatsApp allowing users to chat across both apps.
The social network has previously stated it aims to bring Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram closer together. And according to reliable WhatsApp-watcher WABetaInfo, the tech giant is currently testing out cross-platform chatting.
The update was hidden in the code of Facebook Messenger so WABetaInfo says it’s unclear when this merger of the apps would take place. Read more
Chancellor gives diners 50% off on eating out (BBC)
Diners will get a 50% discount off their restaurant bill during August under UK government plans to bolster the embattled hospitality sector.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveiled the “eat out to help out” discount as part of a series of measures to restart the economy amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The deal means people can get up to £10 off per head if they eat out between Monday and Wednesday. Read more
Pope compares Libya’s detention centres with concentration camps (Aljazeera)
Pope Francis has compared detention centres for migrants and refugees in Libya with concentration camps, saying the world was being given only a diluted version of how hellish life really is for the people living there.
Thousands of refugees and migrants are reported to be held in 11 “official” detention centres across the country as well as “private prisons” run by armed groups and traffickers where extortion, rape and abuse are rampant, according to the United Nations, medical agencies as well as the migrants and refugees. Read more
Girl dies from coronavirus after mum takes her to church ‘Covid party’ (Metro)
A teenager who survived cancer died of coronavirus after her mother took her to a church ‘Covid party’ where none of the 100 guests wore masks. Carsyn Davis, 17, died in Miami,
Florida, last month, and her mother Carole Brunton Davis has since been condemned for taking her to the celebration that lacked social distancing.
The party was called a ‘release party’ on Facebook, promising a DJ, music and games, but data scientist Rebekah Jones said on her Florida Covid victims website that it was a Covid party. Read more
Coronavirus: Elite universities sue over US visa ruling (BBC)
Two elite US universities are suing immigration services over a decision to withdraw visas from foreign students whose courses move fully online.
Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology filed the lawsuit against Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Harvard President Lawrence Bacow said the visa move’s “cruelty [is] surpassed only by its recklessness”. Read more
Don’t open sporting facilities, Nigerians tell FG (Punch)
A section of sports enthusiasts have called on the government to extend the lockdown on sporting facilities across the country due to the rise in COVID-19 cases.
The Federal Government recently relaxed restrictions on worship centres, while primary and secondary schools graduating pupils were given the go-ahead to return to school.
Blessed Onaemor, a businessman, believes the government should only allow sectors that contribute to its Gross Domestic Product to resume normal activities.
“I quite agree with the lid still placed on sporting facilities because the reality for us as a country is that sports is not a money-spinning venture yet. It is just for recreation. We can’t compare ourselves with Europe and America in terms of the value sports bring to the economy,” Onaemor stated. Read more
Nick Kyrgios hits back at Dominic Thiem for defending Djokovic, Zverev (Metro)
Nick Kyrgios responded angrily to criticism from Dominic Thiem for challenging the behaviour of those involved in the Adria Tour and labelled Alexander Zverev and Novak Djokovic as ‘potatoes’.
Kyrgios, the world No. 40 from Australia, has taken it upon himself to be tennis’ moral arbiter amid some questionable behaviour from some of the sport’s best-known stars during the coronavirus crisis. Read more
2020 Ryder Cup postponed until 2021 because of impact of coronavirus (BBC)
The 2020 Ryder Cup has been postponed for a year because of the global coronavirus pandemic.
The event between the United States and Europe was due to be held at Whistling Straits, Wisconsin on 25-27 September.
But it has now been rescheduled for 24-26 September 2021.
Professional men’s golf in the US has resumed behind closed doors but players say the biennial event should not go ahead without fans. Read more
Kai Havertz requests transfer as Chelsea agree to pay £89m fee (Metro)
Kai Havertz has asked to leave Bayer Leverkusen this summer with Chelsea ready to pay the midfielder’s €100 million (£89.8m) asking price, according to reports in Germany.
The 21-year-old has attracted interest from several clubs across Europe following his impressive performances in the Bundesliga.
Chelsea and Liverpool are both interested in the midfielder but the newly crowned Premier League champions have been put off by Leverkusen’s high valuation. According to Bild, Read more
Eric Dier: Tottenham midfielder given four-match ban for confronting fan (BBC)
Tottenham midfielder Eric Dier has been given a four-match ban and fined £40,000 for climbing over seats to confront a fan after a match in March.
The incident happened after Spurs were knocked out of the FA Cup at home by Norwich.
The Football Association ban rules the 26-year-old out of all but one of Tottenham’s remaining Premier League fixtures. Read more
Novak Djokovic: I’m victim of COVID-19 ‘witch hunt’ after doomed tourney (TMZ)
Tennis superstar Novak Djokovic believes he was unfairly trashed in the media for the COVID outbreak at his recent tennis tournament comparing criticism to a “witch hunt.”
Of course, Djokovic took heavy fire for throwing tennis events in Croatia and Serbia with little to no social distancing or any significant protocols to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
In fact, there were photos and videos of Novak playing basketball with other athletes without masks during the tournament — and partying at a tightly packed nightclub without any PPE. Read more