ICPC frees D’banj on self-recognition (Punch)
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has released popular musician, Daniel Oladapo, also known as D’Banj.
D’banj’s lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, who announced the development on Friday, said the musician was released on self-recognition.
The PUNCH reports that the lawyer had yesterday called for the release of the singer from ICPC custody.
Olajengbesi in a statement on Thursday said D’Banj who was arrested by the anti-graft agency on Tuesday, was innocent of the allegations of fund diversion trailing him regarding the social empowerment programme ‘N-Power Scheme.’
This was also as he demanded that the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs should make public the names of government officials allegedly involved with D’Banj in the alleged fraud. Read more
Nigeria, DRC top global malaria deaths – WHO (Channels)
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has released the malaria report for 2021, saying Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) accounted for global deaths from the disease.
While Nigeria had 31 percent of fatalities, DRC recorded 13 percent of global deaths, and the other two countries trailing behind included the Niger Republic – 4% and the United Republic of Tanzania – 4%.
According to the report obtained on Friday, the four countries accounted for just over half of all malaria deaths globally in 2021.
Despite the continued impact of COVID-19, the organisation said malaria cases and deaths remained stable last year.
With 247 million malaria cases and 619,000 deaths globally in 2021, the figures show an increase of two million cases and a decrease of six million deaths compared to the start of the pandemic in 2019. Read more
Resettled Lagos community protests taskforce invasion (Punch)
Residents of Yegunda, Abomiti, and Eyin-Osa development areas, in the Free Trade Zone, Epe, Lagos State, have protested against the alleged invasion of their land by men of the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Enforcement Unit, aka Task Force.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the three zones, made up of many villages, were resettled on the land by the Lagos State Government as compensation for the acquisition of acres of their land for a state project in 2007.
On November 16, 2022, some task force officials and hoodlums reportedly invaded the land and brutalised some of the residents.
Some of the community leaders and residents, on Wednesday, assembled at the Eyin-Osa Resettlement, Ilamija, to protest the invasion. Read more
We’ve disbursed N15b for Lagos-Badagry Expressway reconstruction – NNPC (Nation)
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.) has disbursed N15 billion for the reconstruction of the Lagos Badagry Expressway under the Federal Government Road Infrastructure Tax Credit (RITC) Scheme.
The N15 billion represents a 100 percent payment of the funding of the Lagos-Badagry road rehabilitation under the tax credit funding of the NNPC Ltd.
The NNPC Group Chief Executive, Mr Mele Kyari, made this known on Thursday when he led NNPC’s management team with some top government officials to inspect the ongoing rehabilitation and expansion of Lagos-Badagry Expressway (Agbara Junction-Nigeria/Benin Border).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the road under rehabilitation is being funded by the NNPC Ltd. under the Federal Road Infrastructure Development and Refurbishment Investment Tax Credit Scheme. Read more
Support us in actualising LASU’s vision, VC tasks Alumni Association (Independent)
Professor Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello, Vice Chancellor of the Lagos State University has called on the alumni of the institution to work together and support the university management and council in actualising the vision of the university.
She made the call while speaking at the 2022 alumni homecoming organized by Lagos state University Directorate of Advancement (LASUDA) in conjunction with LASU Alumni Association at the Ojo campus.
She said occasions like this provide a forum for stakeholders to brainstorm on the vision the administration has set for the university and that the programme is an event organized to interact with the old students on areas of common interest, feel their pores and share their success stories.
“For many of you who are seated here, I can imagine how you feel getting into the campus, this is not the same LASU you left years ago. The obvious transformation of the LASU you saw today are testimonies of the Visitor to this university, our Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and the present administration of the university and other critical stakeholders in the university. By the grace of God, the story of LASU is one of forward ever backward never. Read more
2023: One of top 3 candidates wrong choice for Nigeria – Primate Ayodele (Vanguard)
General Overseer of the INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, Primate Elijah Ayodele warned Nigerians against choosing the wrong person to become the next president of the country in 2023.
In a statement released by his media aide, Osho Oluwatosin, Primate Ayodele made it known that Nigerians will buy imported rice for N80,000 and local rice between N30,000-N40,000 if they choose the wrong candidate among the three frontrunners.
He explained that things will become worse and Nigerians can’t afford to choose a candidate without seeking God’s direction.
He urged the citizens to go on their knees to ask God for the best choice because consulting with humans will only lead to failure. Read more
Call To Bar: Why we ignored NBA – Benchers (DailyTrust)
The Body of Benchers (BoB) has explained why its chairman, Wole Olanipekun (SAN) did not recuse himself from conducting the induction of 4,711 new lawyers into the profession.
In a widely circulated letter, President of the NBA, Yakubu Maikyau (SAN), had asked Olanipekun to recuse himself from the Call to Bar ceremony following the ethical controversy generated by the email soliciting to hijack the brief of Henry Ajumogobia (SAN) and SAIPEM Oil Contracting Ltd with the Rivers State Government by a partner in the chambers of Olanipekun and Co., Adekunbi Ogunde.
Despite the letter, Olanipekun presided over the ceremony, while the executive of the NBA boycotted the event in protest.
But in a statement by its secretary, Daniel Tela on Friday, the BoB said the NBA president’s letter arrived at its headquarters late, therefore, its contents were not discussed in the December 5 meeting of the association as most members did not have the letter. Read more
FG approves indigenous production of satellites to boost internet penetration (Tribune)
The Federal Government has disclosed that it has approved the indigenous production of satellites in Nigeria to facilitate and boost Internet broadband penetration.
The satellite production and design, it said, will be achieved through a Public Private Partnership (PPP) Project in line with Executive Order No.5. The presidential executive order No.5 seeks to boost local production and ensure that Nigeria relies less on imports.
The Minister of State for Science, Technology and Innovation, Chief Henry Ikechukwu Ikoh made this achievement known during the South-South dialogue between government and stakeholders in the Science, Technology and Innovation ecosystem in Port Harcourt today.
During the dialogue, the Minister said that the geo-political dialogues would enhance the productive capacities of each geo-political zone to promote the nation’s Global Competitiveness and Productivity. Read more
Kate Winslet addresses reunion with James Cameron after almost 27 years (Standard)
Kate Winslet has addressed previously suggesting she wouldn’t work with director James Cameron again after Titanic, claiming she was “very young” and things got “twisted”.
The British actress, 47, plays Metkayina matriarch Ronal in 68-year-old Cameron’s highly anticipated upcoming blockbuster sequel Avatar: The Way Of Water.
The sci-fi epic sequel reunited Winslet and Cameron on set for the first time since the 1997 blockbuster Titanic, which won a host of Oscars including best picture and best director for Cameron.
BBC chat show host Graham Norton asked Winslet about the reunion, having suggested in the past she would not work with him again. Read more
WNBA star Brittney Griner back in US following high-profile Russia jailing, prisoner swap (CBC)
Brittney Griner disembarked from a plane in Texas early Friday, nearly 10 months after the basketball star was detained in Russia and became the most high-profile American jailed abroad.
Griner was exchanged for notorious arms dealer Viktor Bout. The plane carrying her touched down at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.
The deal achieved a top goal for U.S. President Joe Biden — but failed to win freedom for another American, Paul Whelan, who has been jailed for nearly four years.
Biden’s authorization to release Bout, the Russian felon once nicknamed “the Merchant of Death,” underscored the heightened urgency that his administration faced to get Griner home, particularly after the recent resolution of her criminal case on drug charges and her subsequent transfer to a penal colony. Read more
Jackie Chan reveals Rush Hour 4 is still being developed (DigitalSpy)
Jackie Chan has revealed that Rush Hour 4 is still being developed.
Appearing at the Red Sea International Film Festival on Thursday (December 8), the actor said (via Screen Daily): “We’re talking about part four right now! But the script isn’t right.”
The original 1998 Rush Hour film starred Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker as two mismatched police partners who team up to rescue a Chinese Diplomat’s kidnapped daughter.
The action-comedy’s success inspired two follow-ups, Rush Hour 2 and Rush Hour 3, which were released in 2001 and 2007, respectively. Read more
Harry Styles’ stage crew hijacked by gunmen in Brazil before concert (DailyStar)
Harry Styles’ stage crew have been held up by armed gangsters in Brazil ahead of his concert that was due to take place on Saturday (December 10) night.
The hijacking happened when his crew were driving a van south along the B-116 highway from Sao Paulo to the city of Curitiba on Friday (December 9).
The three gunmen then “subdued the driver” and stole a van full of the singer’s equipment.
Police have said the driver and the rest of the crew appeared to be left unharmed, while the three gangsters and the van are yet to be tracked down. Read more
Dolly Parton eyes Sir Elton John duet for rock album (MusicNews)
Dolly Parton has messaged Sir Elton John asking him to duet with her on ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me’.
After being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the ‘Jolene’ hitmaker is set to release a rock album, and she is hoping the music legend will play piano and duet with her on her version of his 1974 hit.
She said: “I just recorded for my rock album and I did [Elton’s] song, ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me’. And I’ve sent out a message asking if he would sing with me on it and possibly play the piano. So if y’all get to see him, say Dolly wants you to sing on her record! So anyway, but I love him, just tell him to enjoy it because it was great fun for me.”
The late George Michael featured on a live cut of the rock’n’roll classic. Read more
US citizen receives suspended sentence for death of British teenager Harry Dunn by careless driving (RTE)
US citizen Anne Sacoolas, 45, has been sentenced at the Central Criminal Court of England and Wales, to eight months in prison suspended for 12 months for causing the death of motorcyclist Harry Dunn.
The mother of Mr Dunn broke down in court as her teenage son’s killer avoided jail after a three-year fight for justice.
Sacoolas, 45, declined to come to the Old Bailey in person for causing the 19-year-old’s death by careless driving.
Earlier, Mr Dunn’s mother Charlotte Charles had said she was left “absolutely fuming” on learning the US government had advised her not to travel to the UK to face justice, making the sentence effectively unenforceable. Read more
Putin critic gets 8 years in jail for ‘‘false information’’ (AlJazeera)
Russian opposition figure Ilya Yashin was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years in prison for “spreading fake information” about the Russian army.
Judge Oksana Goryunova of the Moscow district court said on Friday that Yashin, 39, will serve the sentence in a penal colony and has 10 days to appeal the verdict.
Yashin was tried over a YouTube video released in April in which he discussed evidence uncovered by Western journalists of Russian atrocities in Bucha, near Kyiv, and cast doubt on the official Moscow version that such reports had been fabricated as a “provocation” against Russia.
Yashin is also an ally of jailed opposition leader Alexey Navalny, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s most prominent critic, and was close to Boris Nemtsov, an opposition politician assassinated near the Kremlin in 2015. Read more
Super Falcons retain 45th position in latest FIFA ranking (Vanguard)
Super Women’s ranking released by the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA).
The ranking which was released on Friday is the final FIFA ranking for the year 2022.
The former African champions also maintained the number one position in the Africa ranking.
South Africa, Cameroon, Ghana and Cote d’l voire complete the top five teams on the continent. Read more
Chelsea miss chance to confirm knockout place (BBC)
Chelsea were “asleep” in their draw at Real Madrid and performed poorly, according to manager Emma Hayes.
Victory would have confirmed Chelsea’s place in the Women’s Champions League quarter-finals with two games to spare.
However, they fell behind to Caroline Weir’s first-half strike after goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger’s error.
Chelsea equalised in the second half when Guro Reiten’s penalty hit the post, rebounded off Madrid keeper Misa and went in. Read more
We have all Africa and Arabia behind us – Regragui (BBC)
Morocco coach Walid Regragui says his side feels the support of all African and Arabic people as they aim to make World Cup history.
Morocco could be the first African nation to reach the semi-finals, if they beat Portugal on Saturday.
They are also the only majority Islamic nation left in Qatar, the first Arabian country to host the tournament.
“We have Africa behind us and Arabic people,” said Regragui. Read more
Jurgen Klopp reveals ‘‘not good’’ Luis Diaz injury update as Liverpool winger suffers setback in Dubai (Standard)
Jurgen Klopp has revealed Luis Diaz has suffered a setback in his recovery from a knee injury.
The Colombian has been out of action since being forced off in early October in Liverpool’s defeat to Arsenal, but travelled with the squad to Dubai as they step up their preparations ahead of club football returning after the World Cup.
However, Diaz missed a couple of days of training due to discomfort and will play no part in Liverpool’s friendly match against Lyon this weekend, with Klopp giving an update on the situation.
“It’s all good [fitness-wise] with the boys who are here,” the Liverpool boss told the club’s official website. Read more
Ash Barty scoops prestigious tennis award nine months after retiring (GMS)
Ashleigh Barty was presented with the prestigious Don Award this week for the second time.
The gong is considered Australia’s highest sporting honour and is named in recognition of Sir Donald Bradman, Sport Australia Hall of Fame’s inaugural inductee.
Barty is just the third athlete to win the award on more than one occasion.
The former world number one may have retired nine months ago but her legacy continues to be honoured. Read more
Oleksandr Usyk posts Tyson Fury selfie as he captions it with ‘‘Ukrainian insult’’ (DailyStar)
Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk may be yet to officially rubber stamp their unification fight, but the heavyweight pair are already well underway in their war of words.
And it’s surprisingly the less outspoken Usyk who may have landed the first low blow after it appeared ‘The Cat’ clawed at Fury’s body shape on social media. That’s after the duo met inside the ring immediately after Fury’s 10th-round stoppage win over Derek Chisora on Saturday.
Usyk, 35, was in attendance at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium as Fury defended his WBC belt with a third victory over ‘Del Boy’. And fans were treated to a post-fight face-off when Usyk—who currently holds the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles—stepped up to ‘The Gypsy King’.
The Ukrainian appeared at ease during the stare-down and even paused to take a selfie with his potential opponent. Usyk can be seen looking expressionless in the photo, while Fury stood shouting with two fists clenched in front of him after improving his undefeated record to 33-0-1. Read more