Lagos APC denies nominating Alake to replace Osinowo (Guardian)
Lagos State chapter of All Progressives Congress (APC) said it has not selected any candidate to replace the late Senator Bayo Osinowo, who represented Lagos East zone until his death last month.
In a statement on Saturday, the party’s Publicity Secretary, Mr Seye Oladejo said Lagos APC’S attention has been drawn to the various speculations as regards the emergence of a candidate for the yet to be scheduled Lagos East senatorial by-election.
The party’s reaction was based on a social media report, which claimed that it has elected a former Lagos Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Dele Alake to replace Osinowo. Read more
Why Abule Egba-Toll Gate road remains unfixed, by Lagos (Nation)
Though funding for works on the Abule-Egba-Toll Gate stretch of the Lagos-Abeokuta expressway is available, residents and motorists still have to wait for respite because of delay in completing procurement process for the project.
The Special Adviser to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Works, Mrs. Aramide Adeyoye, disclosed this to reporters.
For over two years, commuters and motorists have been going through horrible and painful experiences plying the road with many collapsed portions. Read more
Lagos Assembly struggling with pretended harmony (Guardian)
The atmosphere was a mixture of calm after a raging storm. But is the storm over? Going by the facial expression displayed by the member representing Lagos Mainland Constituency 2, Moshood Oshun, when he addressed journalists recently, there seemed to be some internal misgivings.
Oshun, who was visibly enraged as he spoke said he was terribly displeased by the massive representations being splashed on many online publications, which portrayed him negatively in the past two weeks.
Although the reports disclosed that Oshun harbours some issues of personal concern about the Lagos State House of Assembly, he told journalists that there was no issue whatsoever between him and the Speaker, Mr. Mudashiru Obasa. Read more
7 die, 5 missing as flood sacks Niger communities (Punch)
At least seven persons were reported dead while five others were missing on Saturday after flooding ravaged some communities in Suleja, Niger State.
The affected communities included Angwagwari, PDP Quarters and Almadina Quarters, with many houses and vehicles submerged by rainwater.
Sunday PUNCH learnt that the downpour started around 5am and lasted for about an hour, leaving monumental losses in its trail.
A resident of Almadina Quarters, Surajudeen Bello, told our correspondent that 10 houses were affected in the neighbourhood and dozens of locals displaced. Read more
Abuja-Kaduna railway services to resume July 29 (Guardian)
Four months after the suspension of commercial operations on Abuja-Kaduna railway corridor, Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, yesterday, said train services on the route would resume on July 29.
He also said due to social distancing that needed to be maintained in coaches, President Buhari has approved N3000, as passenger fare for Economy coaches, N5000 for Business class, and N6000 for the VIP section.
The Minister, who spoke during the inspection and test-running of the 10 new coaches and two locomotives, said the new coaches would help to run hourly services on the route. Read more
I initiated five kids into secret cult, says 20-year-old suspect (Guardian)
A 20-year- old suspected cultist, Somtochukwu Onyebuchi, at the weekend confessed to initiating no fewer than five under aged children into secret cult group in Anambra state.
The suspect, a barber from Ire village, Ogidi in Idemili North Local Government Area of the State, was among the 103 suspects paraded by the police Command.
He blamed his actions on the devil, warning others still in the business to quit to avert being caught.
He said: “I’ve been a member of the JVC since 2015 and I have initiated about five under aged children. I have a way of convincing them to join willingly. Read more
APC, PDP bicker over clash of supporters at Oba’s palace (DailyTrust)
The All Progressives Congress and the Peoples Democratic Party are trading blames over the clash of their supporters at the palace of the Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II on Saturday, as a PDP entourage and Governor Godwin Obaseki visited to get royal blessings.
PDP alleges APC and its leaders sponsored the attack, but APC says the attack was sponsored by PDP and Obaseki. Chairman of Edo PDP campaign council, Dan Orbih, said the attack was an organised plan and strategy to drive fear in mind of the supporters of governor Obaseki and PDP so that on election day they will be scared to come out to vote. Read more
UK court declares Nigerian fraudster’s deportation illegal, orders for his return (Guardian)
A United Kingdom court has ordered the UK Home Office to pay for and facilitate the return of a Nigerian man deported to Nigeria in March 2018.
The man, granted anonymity in the case, was jailed for four-and-a-half years for being a ‘prime mover in a criminal enterprise.’
He was jailed after he and ‘others under his control’ were found guilty of using stolen identities to submit 154 fraudulent VAT claims laundering the cash through bank accounts at a “substantial, and irrecoverable, cost to the United Kingdom taxpayer”.
But while in jail in January 2016, he filed for asylum, claiming he would be persecuted Nigeria because he was bisexual and had paid for male prostitutes at a party while on holiday in the country. Read more
South of France sees fortunes decline as COVID-19 keeps many wealthy foreign tourists away (CBC)
Summer in the south of France. The sun is shining, the cicadas are sawing their song of love, men and women are bent over in the fields picking fruit and preparing vines, middle-aged cyclists in gaudy spandex costumes covering lumpy bodies labour up and down hills and dream of the Tour de France, the world’s most famous and gruelling professional bicycle race.
But there was no Tour de France this July. It might take place starting at the end of August.
Instead, on July 20, the day after the Tour was supposed to finish, the French were ordered to wear masks in shops and offices and in any indoor public space. Someone caught by police not wearing a mask will be fined the equivalent of $200 Cdn. Read more
Spain insists coronavirus ‘under control’ as travel restrictions hit tourism (France24)
The Spanish government insisted on Sunday that the situation there is “under control” in spite of a recent surge in coronavirus cases, a day after Britain abruptly imposed a two-week quarantine on all travellers arriving from the country.
The statement from Madrid comes in response to a string of travel restrictions announced in recent days, which have dramatically reversed the opening of the European continent to tourism after months of lockdown.
From Sunday, passengers arriving from Spain to the UK will have to undergo a fortnight in isolation while Norway imposed restrictions on travel to Spain. Read more
Rwandan refugee working as diocese volunteer confesses to setting Nantes cathedral alight – lawyer (RT)
A 39-year-old man, who had already been detained, questioned and released by French police, was brought into pre-trial custody again, having admitted to starting fires at the 15th-century cathedral in the western city of Nantes.
The impressive Nantes Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul fell victim to a blaze back on July 18, with several fire brigades scrambled to put out the flames.
As the story developed, investigators established that the man – who worked as an altar server – was the one who closed up the building for the night.
He was briefly detained by police last week but was then released as detectives failed to link him to the fire. Read more
Hurricane Hanna: Flood threat remains despite weakening (BBC)
Heavy winds battered Galveston, Texas, on Saturday
Heavy rain is likely to lead to “life-threatening” flash flooding in southern Texas and north-eastern Mexico even as Hurricane Hanna weakens, US officials have warned.
The hurricane made landfall on Saturday but has since been downgraded to a tropical storm.
But the US National Hurricane Centre (NHC) says that rains and strong winds “remain a threat”.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott had issued a disaster declaration for 32 counties. Read more
Prolific US TV host Regis Philbin dies at 88 (CBC)
Regis Philbin, the genial host who shared his life with television viewers over morning coffee for decades and helped himself and some fans strike it rich with the game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, has died at 88.
Philbin died of natural causes Friday night, according to a statement from his family provided by spokesperson Lewis Kay.
“His family and friends are forever grateful for the time we got to spend with him — for his warmth, his legendary sense of humour and his singular ability to make every day into something worth talking about,” the statement said. Read more
Ta-Nehisi Coates’s “Between the World and Me” is coming to HBO (Vulture)
Ta-Nehisi Coates’s nonfiction work Between the World and Me, a powerful letter to his teenage son looking back on his life through the lens of structural racism, is coming to HBO as a special this fall.
Technically, they’re adapting the Apollo Theater’s 2018 stage performance, which featured readings from the New York Times best seller.
The special will also include animation and both archival and documentary footage. Kamilah Forbes, executive producer of the Apollo and an old friend of Coates’s (she’s even in the book), will once again direct the adaptation, as well as executive produce. Read more
Kanye West apologizes to Kim Kardashian for his recent public outbursts (People)
Kanye West is apologizing to wife Kim Kardashian West for publicly sharing private details about their family.
On Saturday, the rapper, 43, shared an apology on Twitter, writing, “I would like to apologize to my wife Kim for going public with something that was a private matter.”
“I did not cover her like she has covered me. To Kim I want to say I know I hurt you,” he continued. “Please forgive me. Thank you for always being there for me.” Read more
Kepa dropped for Chelsea’s crucial Wolves clash (Vanguard)
Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga was dropped for his side’s crucial final game of the Premier League season against Wolves on Sunday.
Blues boss Frank Lampard opted to start with Argentine veteran Willy Caballero instead of the error-prone Kepa.
Lampard’s side need a draw or win at Stamford Bridge to ensure they finish in the top four and qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Spain international Kepa has struggled to live up to his price tag as the world’s most expensive keeper since his £71.6 million ($91.5 million) move from Athletic Bilbao in 2018. Read more
Lagos vaccinates horses ahead of Polo reopening (DailyTrust)
Foremost Lagos Polo Club has commenced vaccination of resident horses ahead of the anticipated return to full polo activities in the club following the approval from the state government.
President of the club, Ayo Olasoju had earlier disclosed in an interview that as the lockdown gradually eases; the club would work gradual reopening plans, starting with the vaccination of all the horses against the African Horse Disease (AHD).
“Since the season follows the prevailing weather condition, we are looking to play our intra-club tournaments that would be rounded up with the 2021 Lagos international polo tournament early next year,” he said. Read more
Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte shoots down talk of Lionel Messi move (RT)
Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte has dismissed talk that the club could swoop for Barcelona star Lionel Messi, labelling the speculation “fantasy football” but admitting “there isn’t a madman in the world who wouldn’t want Messi.”
Speculation has mounted in recent days that Inter and their Chinese majority shareholders the Suning Holdings Group are lining up an ambitious plan to lure Messi to the San Siro next summer.
The talk has further been fueled by reports that Messi’s father and agent, Jorge, is relocating his business interests to Milan to take advantage of more favorable tax conditions. Read more
Andy Murray and Johanna Konta both preparing to play US Open (Metro)
Britain’s best-known tennis stars, Andy Murray and Johanna Konta, are expecting the US Open to go ahead and are preparing to play in New York.
Both will be involved in this week’s Battle of the Brits Team Tennis – a Ryder Cup-style team event for Britain’s top male and female players – as they continue their preparations for the regular tours to resume.
Murray, the 33-year-old former world No. 1 from Dunblane, will only feature in doubles during the event in order to take a cautious approach ahead of his planned official competitive comeback next month. Read more
Robert Whittaker beats Darren Till at UFC final event in Abu Dhabi (BBC)
Former UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker claimed a unanimous decision victory over British contender Darren Till in the final event of UFC Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.
Australian Whittaker, 29, who lost the UFC’s 185lb title to Nigerian-born New Zealander Israel Adesanya in October, stepped away from the sport to recuperate, complaining of burnout.
He returned after nine months to outpoint Till over five tight, tactical rounds and put himself back into the UFC middleweight title conversation. Read more
Moses Swaibu: From prison to youth mentor (Nation)
Ex-Lincoln defender Moses Swaibu, who was found guilty of conspiracy to commit bribery in 2015, now advises young players on the pitfalls in football.
Moses Swaibu remembers the first time he was offered a bribe like it was yesterday.
A tall and elegant central defender who had come through Crystal Palace’s youth system, the 19-year-old was taking the first steps of his senior career in League Two with Lincoln when he and two teammates were summoned to another player’s hotel room at close to midnight on an away trip. Read more