Lagos artisan allegedly beats 7-year-old son to death over fish (Punch)
An artisan, Saviour Aniefok, has allegedly tortured his seven-year-old son, Nathaniel, to death at his residence at Amen Compound, in the Shangisha area of Magodo Phase 2, Lagos State.
Saviour, who is said to be on the run, reportedly tortured the victim on the allegation that he stole a piece of fish belonging to one of his customers.
It was learnt that the customer requested the deceased father’s services in repairing a faulty microwave.
The customer was said to have given Saviour a piece of fish to test the microwave after it was repaired. Read more
Gunmen allegedly kill UK-based Nigerian lady in Ibadan (Guardian)
A United Kingdom-based Nigerian lady, identified as Bola Aworetan, who came into the country for her mother’s burial, has been brutally murdered in Ibadan, Oyo State.
A source said the deceased had come to Nigeria from the United Kingdom (UK), where she lived and worked, to bury her mother before she was murdered.
The burial for the mother attracted people from all walks of life and she hosted guests at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos.
According to the tributes written by friends and colleagues in Nigeria, she was shot dead by bandits in her car at the Guru Maharaji village, on the Lagos/Ibadan expressway, as the car conveying her and her kids approached Ibadan.
The incident, which occurred last Thursday, August 19, 2021, has thrown many who knew the deceased into mourning. Read more
Land grabbers: Five killed, several injured in Lagos, Ogun attacks (Punch)
No fewer than five persons were killed and many others injured on Saturday when hoodlums attacked the Igbokuta/Gberigbe community, in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the hoodlums, who were suspected to be land grabbers, invaded the community around 1pm and attacked the land owners in the area with weapons.
According to the residents, the hoodlums, who were led by one Sir K and one Gbenga, stormed the community and attacked their perceived enemies.
The deceased were identified as Lateef Ade, Mutiu Balogun, Hameed Idris and two others. Read more
LASUTH CMD, Fabamwo, others now fellow, academy of medicine specialties (Guardian)
The Chief Medical Director of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Professor Adetokunbo Fabamwo and other professors from the institutions have been inducted as Fellows of the prestigious Academy of Medicine Specialties in Nigeria.
Other members of the LASUTH family that also became fellows of the academy are – Prof. Shamsideen Abayomi Ogun, Department of Internal Medicine/Neurology, LASUCOM/LASUTH; Prof. Fidelis Olisamefua Njokanma, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health and former Dean, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, LASUCOM/LASUTH; Prof. Elizabeth Disu, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, LASUCOM/LASUTH; Prof Anthonia Okeoghene Ogbera, Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, LASUCOM/LASUTH and Professor Oluwarotimi Ireti Akinola, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, LASUCOM/LASUTH and current National President, Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of Nigeria, SOGON.
Fabamwo, a renowned Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Ikeja, holds an MBChB degree as well as Fellowships of the National Postgraduate Medical College, West African College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons. Read more
COVID-19: Oxygen usage now 400 cylinders daily, says Sanwo-Olu (Punch)
The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Monday, said the state had seen a gradual increase in the usage of oxygen in the ongoing third wave of the pandemic.
Sanwo-Olu, at a briefing in Ikeja, said the utilisation of 75 cylinders per day at the beginning of the third wave of COVID-19 in the state had jumped to over 400 cylinders per day.
The governor also said 135 deaths had been recorded.
He said, “We have indeed seen a gradual increase in the uptake of oxygen during this pandemic, from the utilization of 75 cylinders per day at the beginning of this third wave, to over 400 cylinders per day.
“As of August 21, 2021, Lagos State had recorded a total of 70,563 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Of this number, 60,716 have recovered in-community, and 4,387 are currently being managed actively in-community. Over the course of managing the COVID-19 pandemic, about 5,551 patients have been admitted into our various COVID-19 care centres in Lagos, with 506 registered fatalities. Of these deaths, 135 have sadly, happened in this current third wave.” Read more
Buhari, others mourn ex-First Ladies, Adanma Okpara, Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi (Guardian)
The month of August 2021 would remain remarkable and indelible to Nigerians, especially Igbo and Abians, following the death of the wives of two notable Nigerians of Abia origin both by birth and marriage in two successive days.
Lady Adanma Okpara, wife of the late Dr. Michael Okpara, the Premier of the defunct Eastern Region of Nigeria, died at the age of 97 years in the early hours of Sunday, August 22, 2021.
Besides, Lady Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi, the wife of Nigeria’s first military Head of State, Maj.-Gen. Johnson Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi, was said to have died in the early hours of yesterday, Monday, August 23, 2021.
President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, commiserated with family of Lady Okpara. Read more
Hisbah locks up Kannywood actress who uploaded “sexual content” on social media (DailyTrust)
The Kano State Hisbah Board has docked a Kannywood actress and social media blogger, Sadiya Haruna, for “uploading sexual contents on her social media handles”.
The accused person, Sadiya Haruna, a resident of Kabuga Quarters was initially arrested on Friday by the Head of Surveillance Department of Kano State Hisbah Board, Malam Aliyu Usman.
She was then detained in the custody of the Islamic police until early Monday when she was brought before the Sharia court sitting in Sharada area of the state.
According to the First Information Report (FIR) filed against her, she was alleged to have consistently posted indecent videos in which she was dancing seductively and making sexual comments on her social media handles and YouTube channel. Read more
Court suspends Secondus as PDP national chairman (Nation)
A Rivers High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has granted an order of interim injunction stopping Prince Uche Secondus from parading himself as the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The order was made following a suit filed against Secondus and the PDP by some members of the party identified as Ibeawuchi Ernest Alex, Dennis Nna Amadi, Emmanuel Stephen and Umezirike Onucha.
The order, which was granted on Monday by Justice O. Gbasah, directed Secondus to stop parading himself as a member of the PDP (the second defendant).
Justice Gbasah further restrained Secondus from attending or presiding over any meeting of the PDP or any committee of the party at ward, local government or state government. Read more
Ubani urges IGP to release Gloria Okolie unconditionally (Sun)
Human rights lawyer, Mr Monday Ubani, has called on the Inspector- General of Police (IGP), Akali Usman Baba, to unconditionally release Gloria Okolie, who has been in police detention for over 70 days.
Ubani lambasted the police for what he called illegal detention without trial of the young lady.
In a statement, Ubani said: “Our attention has been drawn to the long and illegal detention of Gloria Okolie by the Nigeria High Command for over 67 days over her friendship with an alleged Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) member.
“It is further alleged that while she is under police detention in Owerri, she has been used as a slave (beast of burden) and terribly abused, tortured by the officers in charge of her detention. Read more
Proud Boys leader sentenced for burning Black Lives Matter flag (BBC)
The leader of the far-right Proud Boys group has been sentenced to nearly six months in jail for burning a stolen Black Lives Matters flag in December.
Enrique Tarrio, 37, pleaded guilty for burning the flag and attempted possession of a large-capacity ammunition feeding device.
Appearing through video in court on Monday, Tarrio apologised and said there was “no excuse” for his actions.
He will report to jail on 6 September to begin his 155 day sentence. Read more
“Spider-Man: No Way Home” trailer officially drops, multiverse villains descend on Tom Holland (Variety)
The official trailer for Marvel’s highly anticipated “Spider-Man: No Way Home” is finally here, following a Sunday night leak on social media.
Sony Motion Pictures Group CEO Tom Rothman introduced the trailer, with remarks from Tom Holland and Benedict Cumberbatch. The clip sees Peter Parker face his most brutal foe to date — the past. After nearly a year of speculation, the trailer confirms the multiverse plot of “No Way Home,” which will bring Holland together with villains of previous Spider-Man cinematic franchises.
This includes Alfred Molina’s Doctor Octopus, Jamie Foxx’s Electro, and Willem Dafoe’s Green Goblin. In the most recent Spidey sequel, Parker’s true identity was exposed over the film’s final moments. Now confronting exposure and serious consequences, high school student Parker’s life has been spun into chaos. Read more
Greece completes construction of wall along border with Turkey (MEMO)
The Greek government on Friday announced that it has finished building a 40-kilometre long wall along its border with Turkey, CNN International reported.
Greece took the decision amid concerns that NATO’s withdrawal from Afghanistan after 20 years of occupation could cause an influx of people seeking asylum in Europe making their way through Iran, Turkey, and then onto Greece.
On Friday, the ministers from the Greek government toured the wall and said the overthrow of the Afghan government has increased the urgency of their effort to reduce the flow of migrants across.
Greece’s Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrisochoidis said on Friday that the situation in Afghanistan will cause a large influx into Europe. Read more
Climate change: Europe’s extreme rains made more likely by humans (BBC)
The heavy rainfall behind deadly flooding in Europe in July was made more likely by climate change, scientists say.
The floods in Germany, Belgium and other parts killed at least 220 people as towns and villages were swamped.
Researchers say global heating made rainfall events like this up to nine times more likely in Western Europe.
Downpours in the region are 3-19% more intense because of human induced warming. Read more
Hugh Jackman’s “Reminiscence” crumbles with $2m (Variety)
Even without the delta variant and Hurricane Henri keeping prospective moviegoers at home, a poorly reviewed post-apocalyptic noir wrapped in a love story may have been a tough sell in theaters.
Movies aimed at older audiences have been particularly challenged at the box office in recent years, with more falling flat than not. Yet “Reminiscence,” starring Hugh Jackman and directed by “Westworld” co-creator Lisa Joy, failed to reach even modest box office expectations. In its first weekend, the Warner Bros. film, which is playing simultaneously on HBO Max, barely scraped together $2 million from 3,265 North American theaters, marking one of the worst starts in history for a nationwide release — and that’s including the swath of nondescript action dramas that premiered during the bleakest days of the pandemic. Read more
Taliban spokesman: August 31 withdrawal date “red line” (MEMO)
Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid in Kabul, Afghanistan on 17 August 2021 [Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency]
Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid in Kabul, Afghanistan on 17 August 2021 [Sayed Khodaiberdi Sadat/Anadolu Agency]
August 23, 2021 at 10:57 pm
A Taliban spokesperson on Monday warned of “consequences” if foreign forces stayed in the country beyond Aug. 31, calling the date just over a week from now a “red line”, Anadolu Agency reported.
“It’s a red line,” Suhail Shaheen told Sky News in Doha, Qatar. “President Biden announced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that.”
“If the US or UK were to seek additional time to continue evacuations – the answer is no. Or there would be consequences,” he warned.
“It will create mistrust between us. If they are intent on continuing the occupation it will provoke a reaction,” he warned.
President Joe Biden on Sunday said the US is considering extending the deadline, pledging that any American who wants to leave Afghanistan will be evacuated. Read more
Tokyo Paralympics: A ‘different’ Games but Paralympians still hope to shine (BBC)
The Tokyo Paralympics get under way on Tuesday, with Covid-19 cases rising in Japan and all parties acknowledging that there is still a challenge ahead.
Delayed by a year because of the pandemic and with supporters unable to attend apart from a small number of schoolchildren, these will be a different Games to any previous edition.
But not only do organisers want top-level competition, they also want the Games to play a big part in making Japanese society more inclusive.
Tokyo is the first city to stage two Paralympic Games, having hosted the 1964 edition when 375 athletes from 21 nations took part in nine sports.
This time, around 4,400 athletes from 162 national Paralympic committees will compete in 539 medal events across 22 sports. Read more
D’Tigers eye Afrobasket glory with new faces (Punch)
D’Tigers coach, Mike Brown, will be hoping to guide Nigeria to their second Afrobasket title with relatively new faces as battles for the top prize begin on Tuesday (today) at the ultramodern Kigali Arena in Rwanda.
The competition is billed to hold from August 24 to September 5.
Nigeria are in Group C and will lock horns with Mali on Wednesday before facing Kenya and Ivory Coast for a place in the quarter-finals.
D’Tigers were one of the most talked about teams going into the Tokyo Olympics last month, boasting eight NBA players in their ranks, only second to the United States, but fast forward to few weeks later, the team will be taking on 15 other African basketball teams without the flashy NBA stars. Read more
Former Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham provides two assists and wins penalty during impressive Roma debut (Metro)
Tammy Abraham received a standing ovation after he provided two assists and won a penalty during an impressive debut for his new club Roma.
Abraham joined the Italian giants from Chelsea last week in a deal worth £34m, after falling down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.
The 23-year-old was given a start by Roma boss Jose Mourinho in their 3-1 opening day victory against Fiorentina and was applauded by the fans when he was substituted late on in the second half.
Fiorentina goalkeeper Bartlomiej Dragowski was given a red card when he took down Abraham just outside the box, before the Englishman set up former Manchester United attacker Henrikh Mkhitaryan for the opener soon after. Read more
Nice v Marseille: Four-match stand closure ordered and man arrested after (BBC)
Authorities have ordered a four-match stand closure and arrested a man after ugly scenes caused Nice’s Ligue 1 game with Marseille to be abandoned.
The Alpes-Maritimes department said the Popular South stand of Nice’s Allianz Riviera stadium would be closed after the brawl between fans and players.
A 28-year-old man was taken into custody for his part in Sunday’s melee.
Marseille’s Dimitri Payet was hit by a bottle and threw it back into the crowd, causing fans to storm the pitch. Read more
Corinthians want to sign Arsenal winger Willian but his priority is to stay in Europe (Metro)
Brazilian club Corinthians are interested in signing wantaway Arsenal winger Willian.
Metro.co.uk understands that the 33-year-old is considering a move back to Brazil but would rather stay in Europe if possible as his Arsenal career looks set to be over after just one season at the club.
Willian, who moved to the Gunners from Chelsea last summer, has fallen out of favour under Mikel Arteta and has been told he can leave the club.
He has recently tested positive for COVID-19 and missed the weekend’s 2-0 loss to Chelsea as he remained in isolation. Read more
Michail Antonio’s dancing celebration to remember on record night for West Ham (BBC)
Michail Antonio stands alone at the top of the list of West Ham’s Premier League scorers – so it was fitting he danced with himself under the London Stadium lights on Monday.
After scoring his 48th top-flight goal for the Hammers in a 4-1 win over Leicester, the striker celebrated surpassing Paolo di Canio’s record by waltzing with, lifting and kissing a Michail Antonio cardboard cut-out.
It was a Hollywood moment for a player who took the number nine shirt this summer and will now go down in West Ham folklore for his scoring exploits.”We were talking earlier in the week, and I said ‘you know what will be the best celebration? Save The Last Dance’,” said Antonio, who extended his record to 49 goals with his side’s fourth of the night. Read more