Lagos community raises the alarm over incessant cult clashes (Guardian)
Last week, more than 5,000 members of Ekutu community in Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos State were thrown into chaos following attacks and counter attacks by members of various cult groups in the area, which left a young man, Gbenga Saka, dead.
Prior to the last incident, the community members said there had been series of cult wars, which had left the once peaceful and serene town of Ekutu a shadow of itself. The residents have, however, urged Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu; the Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu; Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa; DPO Elemoro Police State and key security agencies to come to their aid to stop further damages. Read more
Cop, driver killed as protests spread, ground Lagos, others (Punch)
Despite the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad by the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, Nigerian youths on Monday resumed protests in different parts of the country.
The protesters said aside from the scrapping of the unit, they wanted all arrested protesters released and justice for all victims of police brutality, in addition to compensation for their families.
In Lagos, the youth took to the streets and blocked strategic locations to disrupt traffic flow in the Lekki, Akoka, Surulere, Ikeja, Ajah, Alausa, Ago Palace Way, FESTAC Town, Agege, Ebute Metta, Obalende, among other areas in the state. Read more
Sanwo-Olu promises to back outfits that ensure ease of transportation (Guardian)
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said he will continue to encourage and support every business enterprise that leans towards creating employment, facilitate means of transportation with a view to enhancing the state of economy and reducing crime rate in the state.
The governor, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Transportation, Mr. Oluwatoyin Fayinka, at the unveiling of MyKab, an indigenous e-handling application firm, commended MyKab Technological Services Limited for deploying its innovation and technology to solve problems and provide employment opportunities for the youth.
Sanwo-Olu disclosed that his government had come up with relevant guidelines and regulations to monitor and record MyKab’s movements across the state to halt activities of kidnapping. Read more
Other classes in Lagos schools resume Oct 19 (Punch)
The Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs Folasade Adefisayo, has said both public and private schools in the state can fully resume from Monday, October 19, 2020.
Adefisayo, in a statement by the Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi, said the physical resumption, which was for the 2020/2021 academic session, would include pupils in pre-primary, daycare, kindergarten and nursery schools.
She explained that the decision was taken after careful deliberations and consultations with relevant stakeholders, including safety professionals and nursery school owners. Read more
UBTH boosts digital health services in Edo State (Vanguard)
The University of Benin Teaching Hospital, UBTH, is launching digital health services to over four million people across Edo state courtesy of the Outpost Health Platform.
Disclosing this to Vanguard in a chat, the Chief Executive Officer, Outpost Health, Dr. Didi Emokpare, said the revolutionary healthcare delivery platform will increase access to affordable, quality, next-generation healthcare for all citizens of Edo State, and Nigeria at large.
Emokpare said: “Outpost Health will power the Virtual Care Services of UBTH by providing its proprietary, privacy-compliant, secure digital health platform accessible from any internet-connected device. Read more
Presidency says executive order not needed to disband squad (Guardian)
There is no need for executive order to disband the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), the Personal Assistant to the President on New Media, Bashir Ahmad, has declared in his verified Twitter handle, BashirAhmaad.
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, had on Sunday announced the disbandment of the squad, after days of public outcry by protesters across the country.
However, #EndSARS campaigners insisted yesterday that the street protests would continue until President Muhammadu Buhari issued an executive order scrapping the unit. The protests continued across the country on Monday despite the IGP’s pronouncement. Read more
I’m shocked I lost in Akure three LGs – Akeredolu (Punch)
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has expressed satisfaction with the outcome of Saturday’s governorship poll in the state.
Akeredolu of the All Progressives Congress polled 292,830 votes to defeat the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Mr Eyitayo Jegede, who scored 195,791 votes, and Mr Agboola Ajayi of the Zenith Labour Party, who recorded 69,127 votes.
Akeredolu won in 15 out of the 18 local government councils of the state. Read more
Sex toy shop: Pyrates berate senate for not sanctioning Senator Abbo (Vanguard)
The National Association of Seadogs, NAS, has taken a swipe at the senate for not meting out the appropriate sanctions to Senator Elisha Abbo of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP from Adamawa State, who was given N50 million fine by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja for slapping a nursing murder last year.
NAS, also known as Pyrates Confraternity said that the senate is expected to be made up of senior citizens that have distinguished themselves in diverse fields and ought to bring their wealth of experience to bear in the quality of bills debated and passed into law, adding that Senator Elisha Abbo’s conduct was a blemish on the hallowed body. Read more
Peru opens Machu Picchu for single tourist stranded by Covid (BBC)
Peru has opened the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu for a single Japanese tourist who had waited almost seven months to visit the world heritage site.
Jesse Takayama was due to visit Machu Picchu in March but it closed because of coronavirus.
Culture Minister Alejandro Neyra said Mr Takayama was granted access after submitting a special request.
The ancient Inca citadel – Peru’s top tourist attraction – is expected to re-open at reduced capacity next month. Read more
Black man led through streets on a rope ‘like a slave’ sues police (Metro)
A black man who was led on a rope by two white police officers on horseback is now suing the city and its police department for $1,000,000 (about £770,000).
Donald Neely, 44, who was homeless at the time, was sleeping on the pavement when he was arrested for criminal trespassing. Officers from Galveston Police Department, in Texas, then handcuffed him and led him by rope to a police staging area eight blocks away.
A lawsuit filed on behalf of Mr Neely in Galveston County district court has described his humiliation as it alleged the officers’ conduct was ‘extreme and dangerous’. It stated that the incident had physically injured Mr Neely and caused him emotional distress. Read more
Apple iPhone 12: The chip advance set to make smartphones smarter (BBC)
When Apple unveils its new iPhones, expect it to make a big deal of the fact they’re the first in the world to be powered by a new type of chip.
This, we’ll likely be told, will let owners do things like edit 4K video, enhance high-resolution photos and play graphically-intensive video games more smoothly than was possible before while using less battery power.
The “five nanometre process” involved refers to the fact that the chip’s transistors have been shrunk down – the tiny on-off switches are now only about 25 atoms wide – allowing billions more to be packed in. Read more
Kim Jong-un sheds tears as he apologises to North Korea for failures (Metro)
Footage has emerged of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un weeping as he made a rare apology for unspecified failures on his part. It’s believed the secretive state’s hardships have multiplied since the coronavirus pandemic, following years of international sanctions in response to its nuclear programmes and multiple natural disasters. Experts have cast doubt on Kim’s claims that North Korea has not had any cases of the virus, while trade with China, his biggest economic partner by far, has fallen since borders were closed in response to the outbreak. Read more
Covid reinfection: Man gets Covid twice and second hit ‘more severe’ (BBC)
A man in the United States has caught Covid twice, with the second infection becoming far more dangerous than the first, doctors report.
The 25-year-old needed hospital treatment after his lungs could not get enough oxygen into his body.
Reinfections remain rare and he has now recovered.
But the study in the Lancet Infectious Diseases, raises questions about how much immunity can be built up to the virus.
The man from Nevada had no known health problems or immune defects that would make him particularly vulnerable to Covid. Read more
Facebook behind 94% of child abuse image reports by US tech firms last year (Metro)
Facebook was responsible for 94% of the 69 million child sex abuse images reported by American technology companies last year.
The figures emerged as seven countries, including the UK, published a statement on Sunday warning of the impact of end-to-end encryption on public safety online. Facebook has previously announced plans to fully encrypt communications in its Messenger app, as well as its Instagram Direct service – on top of WhatsApp, which is already encrypted – meaning no-one apart from the sender and recipient can read or modify messages.
The social network said the changes are designed to improve user privacy on all of its platforms. Read more
Etim Esin expects improved performance against Tunisia (Guardian)
Former international, Etim Esin, has advised the new boys in Super Eagles camp to raise their game in today’s encounter against the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia and prove they deserve to be in the team
Nigeria will meet Tunisia in their second friendly match of the current FIFA window today in Klagenfurt, Austria.
The Eagles on Friday lost 0-1 to African champions, Algeria. Speaking to The Guardian yesterday, Esin said even though the match wasn’t a competitive one, he was disappointed at the below par performance of the Eagles, adding, they could not make three to four straight passes in the friendly game. Read more
Ex-Falcons knock NFF for concealing Waldrum’s contract details (Punch)
The non-disclosure of new Super Falcons coach Randy Waldrum’s contract details by the Nigeria Football Federation has been condemned by former players of the women’s national team, The PUNCH reports.
The NFF on October 5 announced Waldrum as the new coach of the Falcons, without disclosing his tenure and financial details of the contract.
Findings by The PUNCH showed that the American would combine the Falcons job with his coaching role at Pittsburgh University’s women’s team in the US.
Former Falcons goalkeeper, Judith Chime, said NFF’s action smacked of disrespect for Nigerians. Read more
Paul Scholes says he was ‘almost conned’ by Anthony Martial over major Man Utd ‘problem’ (Metro)
Paul Scholes admitted Anthony Martial ‘almost conned’ him into believing that he was a natural centre-forward but still thinks that is Manchester United’s problem position.
United legend Scholes thinks the likes of Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood are ‘exceptionally talented’ but still thinks the club lack a genuine striker to play through the middle.
He has called for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to sign Borussia Dortmund frontman Erling Haaland or Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane rather than pursue Jadon Sancho in order to solve the club’s biggest ‘problem’. Read more
Eagles pass COVID-19 tests again, seek redemption against Tunisia (Punch)
The Super Eagles will battle Tunisia on Tuesday (today), after players and officials of the national team tested negative for COVID-19 on Monday.
The match, billed for the Jacques Lemans Arena in the Austrian city of St. Veit an der Glan, will start at 7:30 pm Nigerian time.
The Eagles had also undergone the COVID-19 tests on Thursday, before their 1-0 loss to Algeria in Klagenfurt, Austria.
The three-time African champions will be hoping to bounce back against the Tunisians after Friday’s defeat. Read more
Man City handed Kevin De Bruyne injury scare ahead of Arsenal clash (Metro)
Manchester City have been handed an injury scare ahead of their Premier League clash with Arsenal after Kevin De Bruyne was forced to head home early from international duty.
De Bruyne has been ruled out of Belgium’s Nations League clash with Iceland on Wednesday and is returning to Manchester to recover. He had started for his country in their 2-1 defeat to England on Sunday and was withdrawn after 73 minutes.
While Belgium manager Roberto Martinez claimed ater the game he was not injured and just ‘felt something’, he is not fit enough to face Iceland. Read more
Family ‘blown away’ by Klopp’s advice to young Liverpool fan (Guardian)
The mother of a young Liverpool fan who wrote to Jurgen Klopp regarding his worries about moving schools said on Monday that they had been “blown away” by the Reds boss’ thoughtful reply.
Lewis Balfe, 11, wrote to Klopp in August about the anxiety he was feeling over starting a new school in September.
“He’s really excited and I was completely blown away, because I thought you might get a standard response from the club or you might get some acknowledgement, but I didn’t think you’d get a letter so personal,” Milena Balfe told Britain’s Press Association news agency. Read more