Lagos couple lose four children to midnight fire (Punch)
A couple, Chukwudi Micheal and Bolani Micheal, have been inconsolable after losing four children to a fire that gutted their two-room apartment on Tapa Road, Oke-Oko, Isawo, in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident occurred around 1pm on Sunday, June 26, as one of the children, Jeremiah, 12, died on the spot.
The three other siblings: Prayer, 18; Trust in God, 14; and Ebube, 10, sustained severe burns and were rushed to a hospital, where they died a few days later.
Our correspondent, who spoke to the family on Monday, learnt that both husband and wife slept in a separate room with their eight-year-old surviving daughter, Esther. Read more
Housekeeper bags life imprisonment for defiling boss’ children (Guardian)
Justice Abiola Soladoye of Domestic Violence and Sexual Offence Court, Ikeja, yesterday, sentenced a housekeeper, Bright Izuchukwu, to life imprisonment for defiling two daughters of his employer.
The victims are six and seven years respectively. The judge sentenced the convict after he was found guilty of two-count charge of defilement brought against him by Lagos State government. His offence contravened Section 137 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos, 2015.
In her judgment, Justice Soladoye said the prosecution had established the ingredients of the offence against the defendant.
According to her, the prosecutor did a good job, by establishing the ingredients of the offences against the defendant through its witnesses. Read more
COVID-19 cases jump by 67% in two weeks (Punch)
The COVID-19 infections in the country have risen by 67 per cent, the latest figures obtained by The PUNCH have shown.
The data also revealed that there was a 390.4 per cent increase in testing, which has led to an increase in the report of positive cases.
The report, which was released by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, noted that “in weeks 23 and 24, the number of samples tested increased to 75,277 from 15,347 reported in weeks 21 and 22. These were reported in the 36 states and FCT.”
According to the World Health Organisation, from January 3, 2020 to July 5, 2022, there have been 257,637 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 3,144 deaths in Nigeria. Read more
Sallah: Muslims bemoan high cost of ram, transportation (Guardian)
Muslim faithful, yesterday, bemoaned the hike in prices of rams and food items, against expectations that prices will be more affordable this year compared to 2021.
Many, who visited ram markets in Lagos for this year’s Eid-el-Kabir expressed disappointment that prices of ram has increased far beyond their budgets.
Both sellers and buyers, who spoke to The Guardian lamented that while they hoped for change and better living, the situation becomes very tough.
A buyer at Obalende, Lagos, said: “What has happened after our complaints? The price was high last year and we complained, but it has increased this year. Read more
‘We hid in the bush’, Witness speaks on Buhari’s convoy attack (DailyTrust)
A Katsina resident, who witnessed the attack on the convoy of President Muhammadu Buhari in Katsina State, has narrated how he escaped.
Daily Trust had reported how an advance team of Buhari were attacked near Dutsinma in Katsina on Tuesday.
According to Presidential Spokesman, Garba Shehu, Nigeria’s number one citizen was not in the convoy at the time of the attack but security operatives and an advance team heading for Daura, Buhari’s hometown, ahead of Sallah, were attacked.
He said the attack was repelled by “gallant presidential guards”.
A witness, who said he was nearly caught in the middle of the clash, disclosed that he and some persons hid in a nearby bush. Read more
Striking varsity unions lament salary stoppage (Punch)
Striking university unions, including the Academic Staff Union of Universities and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, have lamented the effect of the no-work-no-pay policy invoked by the Federal Government, saying it was meant to weaken their resolve.
The National President of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke; and SSANU’s National Vice-President, Dr Abdussobur Salaam, spoke in separate interviews with The PUNCH.
Osodeke told our correspondent that the last time he received his salary was in February, adding that the government’s strategy of withholding their salaries is meant to weaken their resolve over the union’s demands.
He however said members of the union would remain steadfast even if they will have to do menial jobs or embark on farming to get money. Read more
FG to rescue 13,000 pilgrims ahead of hajj closure (Guardian)
Less than 24 hours to closure of the 2022 pilgrimage, National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), yesterday, announced deployment of additional air carriers to evacuate intending pilgrims.
Consequently, the commission designated three locations, including Kano, Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory, for convergence of over 13,000 faithful waiting to be rescued, having been stranded for days at various camps.
The intervention comes, as Kano State Pilgrims Board laments cancelation of 66 visas. Saudi Arabia had granted Nigeria a diplomatic waiver and extension of landing permits by 48 hours to Afarat for airlines evacuating pilgrims from July 4 to 6.
A statement, yesterday, by NAHCON’s spokesperson, Fatima Usara, indicated that 29,128 of the total 43,003 pilgrims had been airlifted via 73 flights. Read more
CAN disowns Ondo pastor arrested for alleged abduction (Punch)
The Christian Association of Nigeria on Tuesday disowned one Josiah Asumosa, an assistant Pastor with the Whole Bible Believers Church located in Ondo West Local Government Area of Ondo State in whose premises 77 kids were rescued recently.
The CAN President, Dr Samson Ayokunle, said the pastor and his church are not members of the association at all levels.
A statement by the CAN President’s Special Assistant (Media and Communications), Pastor Adebayo Oladeji, on Tuesday, said no true pastor would claim to know the date of rapture because the Bible has stated it clearly that it is only God who knows the date.
The statement read, “Though, the pastor in question and his church, the Whole Bible Believers Church, in Ondo are not members of the Christian Association of Nigeria at all levels and so, he is not known to us, but the fact that the church claims to be a Christian church necessitates that we state our position on his practice. Read more
David Harbour lost five stone for Stranger Things season 4 with extreme diet: ‘It’s not easy’ (DailyTrust)
David Harbour has revealed he shed over five and a half stone for Stranger Things season 4.
The 47-year-old Jim Hopper actor appeared remarkably slimmer in the latest chapters of the beloved Netflix show, which saw his character taken prisoner in a Russian gulag while his on-screen partner Joyce (Winona Ryder) attempted to rescue him.
Opening up on his gruelling diet that consisted of ‘not eating’, David said that shifting the pounds was a ‘hard process’.
Speaking on Tuesday’s BBC Breakfast he shared: ‘It’s not easy, it’s a lot of not eating when you lose that much weight, and being hungry.’ Read more
Suspect charged with murder over 4 July shooting (BBC)
A man accused of opening fire on a Fourth of July parade near Chicago has been charged with seven counts of murder, officials say.
Robert Crimo, 21, would be punished “for the killing spree he has unleashed against our community”, Lake County State Attorney Eric Rinehart said.
The attack in Highland Park left seven dead and more than 30 others injured.
Mr Rinehart added that dozens more charges would be filed before the investigation was over.
“These are just the first of many charges that will be filed against Mr Crimo,” he said to cheers and applause from the crowd gathered for the news conference on Tuesday. “I want to emphasise that. There will be more charges.” Read more
Joe Turkel, who had memorable roles in The Shining and Blade Runner, dies at age 94 (DailyMail)
Joe Turkel, an actor who appeared in several Stanley Kubrick films including The Shining, has died at the age of 94.
The character actor, who collected more than 100 acting credits throughout his career, passed away at St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica on Monday.
He leaves behind a brother, David Turkel, two sons, and two daughter-in-laws.
In a statement to People, Chris Carbaugh, a rep for the star said, ‘Joe was a lightning bolt and he was very passionate to talk about films, baseball and life. Every time we spoke he was quick to crack a bad joke and make me laugh.’ Read more
Chris Hemsworth opens up about how Thor has changed in the MCU (DigitalSpy)
Marvel star Chris Hemsworth has opened up about how Thor has changed over the years ahead of the release of his fourth standalone film, Thor: Love and Thunder.
During a press conference, Hemsworth told Digital Spy and other media about the journey his character has been through.
“There’s obviously a familiarity, but he has changed so dramatically over the years as I have. That’s what’s been fun is as the character’s evolved and I’ve had different opinions, I’ve sort of melded and crossed paths [with him],” he said.
“You know, the origin story is, I think not the easiest but it’s the most obvious one. There’s a set of rules and guidelines I feel like you have to sort of stick to and it works, and it’s familiar and relatable for people,” he added. Read more
Hugo Speer sacked from Full Monty reboot after ‘inappropriate conduct’ claims (BelfastTelegraph)
Hugo Speer has been sacked from Disney’s forthcoming The Full Monty reboot series after allegations of “inappropriate conduct”.
The 53-year-old was due to reprise the role of Guy 25 years on from the release of the original film, which followed a group of unemployed men in Sheffield who formed a striptease act.
A spokesperson for streaming service Disney+ said the decision to remove him from the show came following an internal investigation.
They said: “Recently, we were made aware of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Hugo Speer on the set of a commissioned production. Read more
Bret Michaels ‘ready to rock’ after hospitalization, but skips Jacksonville meet and greet (TheWrap)
Poison singer Bret Michaels apologized to fans on Saturday for missing Thursday’s show in Nashville, Tennessee, and promised in a video shared to social media on Saturday that he would give “1,000%” at Saturday night’s show in Jacksonville, Florida.
“First of all, I just want to say to everyone thank you for your incredible well wishes. It has been a rough couple of days for me,” he said in the video, which was posted to Twitter and Instagram.
“And I just want to say to everyone thank you, it means the world to me. I’m here in Jacksonville, I’m ready to rock and to give you 1,000% of everything I got in the tank right now. I’m not feeling my Sunday best, but I’m going to keep rocking and I’m going to bring it. I cannot be more grateful for such awesome incredible family, friends and fans. Thank you,” he said.
Hours before Saturday’s show, Michaels shared a post to Facebook explaining that, on the advice of his doctors, he would skip the traditional meet and greet with fans at the Jacksonville show. According to local news channel JAX, the show went on as planned, but was hit with an unexpected downpour. Read more
Market hit as Russia shells Ukraine frontline city (BBC)
Russian shelling set a central market ablaze in Ukraine’s eastern city of Slovyansk, killing two people and injuring seven, an official said.
“This is pure terrorism!” Donetsk regional head Pavlo Kyrylenko said.
Mayor Vadym Lyakh said Slovyansk was being hit by Russian artillery salvoes from closer positions, as it became a frontline city.
He posted photos of Tuesday’s blaze on Facebook, describing massive shelling, and urging people to stay in shelters.
Russia is seeking to capture all of the eastern industrial Donbas area. Read more
Brume, Amusan lead Nigeria’s 22-man list to World Athletics Championships (Guardian)
Long jumper, Ese Brume, and sprint hurdler, Tobi Amusan, are among 22 athletes selected by the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) for the World Athletics Championships billed to start on July 15 in Eugene, Oregon, U.S.
Brume, a bronze medallist at the last edition of the championships in Doha, Qatar, three years ago, aims to become the first Nigerian athlete to win medals at two World Championships.
Amusan, who came fourth three years ago in Doha, is seeking to become the second Nigerian sprint hurdler to win a medal at the Championships after Glory Alozie, who won a silver medal in Seville, Spain in 1999.
Also selected for the competition is Shot Putter, Chukwuebuka Enekwechi, who placed eighth in 2019, in Doha, as well as sprinter Favour Ofili, a semifinalist in the 400m event in her debut, three years ago. Read more
Joshua blames team for Usyk loss (Punch)
Ex-heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua, has admitted he thought he was winning in his first fight against Oleksandr Usyk because his team didn’t give him information that pointed otherwise.
This led to AJ’s decision to cut ties with Rob McCracken and the rest of his training team after they failed to tell him he was losing to Usyk.
AJ was outmatched over 12 rounds last September at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium and immediately after the bout, his corner work was questioned.
Joshua, 32, surprisingly chose to try and outbox Usyk, 35, and never reverted to a Plan B as the fight went away from him. Read more
Women football in Nigeria on sharp decline – Zira (DailyTrust)
A former chairman of Adamawa Queens and Adamawa United, Emmanuel Zira, has lamented that women football development in Nigeria has drastically declined in the past few years.
The football administrator said lack of professional approach, transparency and nonchalant attitude by the league administrators was responsible for the decline in Nigeria Women Football League (NWFL).
He, therefore, disagreed with the chairperson of the NWFL and board member of the NFF, Aisha Falode, who had claimed that women football had made developmental changes.
“Without any form of sentiment, women football in Nigeria has dwindled so much. I don’t really know why the administrators are just engaging in media hype which does no one any good.
“The entire stakeholders are watching and they know what is happening. Forget the media and publicity stunts here and there. Anyone can print banners, flyers and even stickers to say whatever he or she likes, but the reality is that the gains made in the administration of women football in the past have been destroyed. Read more
LOC to unveil Asaba 2022 National Sports Festival mascot, logo today (Guardian)
The Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the Asaba 2022 National Sports Festival has disclosed that it will unveil the mascot and logo of the festival today.
The event, which will also be used to intimate stakeholders on preparations for 21st edition of the festival billed to hold from November 2 to 15, will hold at Unity Hall, Government House, Asaba by 7.00 p.m.
According to the LOC Secretary, Chris Anaziah, Delta State Governor, and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) vice presidential candidate, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, is the chief host.
He added that Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, and other members of the Main Organising Committee (MOC), headed by the Sports’ Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Alhaji Isma’il Abubakar, will be present at the ceremony. Read more
‘Roger Federer still wants to enjoy…’, says ATP ace (TennisWorld)
Fans miss Roger Federer. The former world number 1 made tennis history and everyone hopes that he will be able to end his legendary career with dignity. The Swiss phenomenon has played very little in the last two seasons, having been limited by a serious right knee problem.
Suffice it to say that the King played only 13 official matches in 2021, collecting nine wins and four losses. Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics were his main goals, but things didn’t go as he hoped. After the clear defeat at the hands of Hubert Hurkacz at the Championships, the 40-year-old from Basel has made the decision to have his knee operated on again.
Barring further unforeseen circumstances, we will have to wait for the Laver Cup to see him in action again. The lavish performance will be staged at London’s O2 Arena from 23-25 September. The 20-time Grand Slam champion will also participate in the ATP in Basel, which returned to the calendar after the last two editions had been canceled due to the pandemic.
During a recent interview with ‘Corriere della Sera’, Matteo Berrettini expressed his opinion on Roger’s future. Read more
JT Poston completes wire-to-wire victory at John Deere Classic (Independent)
JT Poston held his nerve on Sunday to complete a wire-to-wire victory at the John Deere Classic in Illinois.
The 29-year-old American carded a two-under 69 in the fourth round, his worst score of the tournament, but held on to claim his second PGA Tour title by two shots from runners-up Christiaan Bezuidenhout and Emiliano Grillo.
Speaking after his win, Poston said: “It’s just tough to play with a lead. It’s a little bit of added pressure wire-to-wire, I pretty much had the lead since Thursday.
“I told all the media after every round that I was just trying to stick to my game plan, but the truth is it’s hard not to think about the finish line and all that comes with getting a win. Read more
Babatunde thrilled to join FK Laci (Punch)
Nigerian midfielder Michael Babatunde is thrilled to have signed a two-year deal with Albanian topflight division club FK Laci, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
The 29-year-old, who has been without a club since August 1, 2021, last played for Moroccan club Wydad Casablanca.
He had previously featured for Qatar SC, Raja Casablanca, Dnipro, Volyn Lutsk, and Kryvbas all in Ukraine, and Heartland in the Nigerian Professional Football League.
“I’m very happy and proud to be here,” Babatunde told PUNCH Sports Extra. Read more