Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: Ogun, Oyo to deploy drones to tackle kidnappers (Tribune)
The Ogun and Oyo state governments will this week deploy drones to tackle incidences of kidnapping on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Ogun State governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, stated this on Tuesday when the management of Leadership Newspapers paid him a visit in his office.
Governor Abiodun said his administration would neutralise kidnappers abducting people on the expressway, particularly on the Ogun section of the highway.
The governor added that the state, in conjunction with Oyo, had set up a joint security team to beef up security on the expressway. Read more
9 professors, 3 EFCC lawyers, 50 others make new SAN list (Independent)
Nine professors of law, three lawyers of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and 50 others as Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN) were among those sworn in by Chief Justice of Nigeria, (CJN) Justice Olukayode Ariwoola on Monday in Abuja.
The 62 were elevated to the rank by the Legal Practitioners’ Privileges Committee (LPPC) at its 154th plenary session held on Sept. 29.
The law professors are Kathleen Okafor, Muhammed Abdulrasaq, Amokaye Gabriel, Ismail Olatunbosun, Abdullahi Zuru, Joy Ezeilo, Theodore Maiyaki, Olaide Gbadamosi and Chimezie Okorie.
The three EFCC lawyers are Mr Wahab Shitu, Mr Sylvanus Tahir and Mr Rotimi Oyedepo.
Others elevated to membership of the inner bar are Mr Bankole Akomolafe, Mr Mohammed Abubakar, Mr Johnson Omophe, Lawrence Oko-Jaja, Mr Christopher Sunday -Oshomegie and Mr Sanusi Olugbenga- Said. Read more
Lagos 2023: Sanwo-Olu officially kicks off re-election campaign (Sun)
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and his Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat have officially kicked off their 2023 re-election campaign.
The campaign tagged ‘‘A GREATER LAGOS RISING’’, was heralded by brand activations which included digital banners, A-Frames, static billboards, digital billboards, gantries and branded BRT buses in strategic locations at 12 midnight.
Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, who gave an overview of the brand campaign at a media briefing, described the campaign as a thematic continuum of what Sanwo-Olu promised in 2019.
He said: “We promised our people Greater Lagos. What do we see around us? Abundant evidence of a new city rising from the womb of time. We do not make a false claim of having reached the zenith of our journey. Our contextual usage of the word is as an adjective which suggests an upward swing, an increase and an upward movement. These are the signs Lagosians can see all around the state. Read more
Anchor distributes free 400 study Bible to church leaders (Nation)
Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Anchor International Outreach Ministry and President of Anchor International Youth and Teen Work Academy (AIYTA), Lagos, Dr Bolarinwa Michael Omotosho reveals that the greatest asset of any nation, community, organisation or ministry is not the empire or structure acquired but the right people they discovered, mentored, empowered and exposed to leadership opportunities with the right attitude.
This was the submission of the Chairman Board of Trustees of Anchor International Outreach Ministry and President of Anchor International Youth Work Academy (AIYTA) Dr Michael Omotosho.
He spoke at the combined 2022 Train-The-Trainers cutting edge book project organised by Anchor Leadership Academy (ALA) and maiden convocation ceremony of AIYTA in Lagos. Read more
In face of oil theft, CBN’s RT200 initiative records $4.987b inflow (ThisDay)
The Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) RT200 (Race to $200 billion forex inflows), which is an initiative that aims to boost non-oil exports has recorded $4.987 billion forex inflows in 2022.
CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, who disclosed the feat achieved by its RT200 initiative yesterday, said the amount recorded so far this year, was an increase from the $3.190 billion recorded in 2021.
Emefiele said this at the second RT200 Bi-annual Non-oil Export Summit in Lagos, with the theme: ‘RT200 Non-Oil Export Program: The Journey So Far.”
This was cheering news coming on the heels of the challenge posed by crude oil theft which hindered oil production in some terminals and affected the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited’s (NNPCL) ability to remit forex to the federation account. Read more
ASUU receives full salaries for November, arrears withheld (Punch)
Lecturers under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Universities have received full salaries for the month of November 2022, The PUNCH can confirm.
Our correspondent also gathered that the eight month arrears remained withheld by the Federal Government.
A senior member of the union at the Bayero University Kano made this known in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday.
“Some of our members have started receiving salaries and I can confirm to you that we received our full salaries for the month of November. However, the arrears are still withheld.” Read more
Ikpeazu signs law allowing women’s inheritance of family property (DailyTrust)
The Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu, has granted his assent to the bill which guarantees the right of female persons to inherit and own property in their father’s family, thereby making it a law in the state.
It will be recalled that the Abia State House of Assembly passed the bill some weeks ago to bring the state in conformity with international best practices in the area of eliminating all forms of discrimination against women.
While appending his signature on the bill, Governor Ikpeazu made it clear that his administration will at all times lean on the side of reason and common sense in the discharge of its obligations to the people of Abia State, noting that it has become anachronistic to continue to treat women as second class citizens even in their own families.
The Governor thanked the State Assembly led by the Speaker for dredging up enough courage to pass this bill which he described as historic, positively disruptive and capable of setting the society on the path of equal opportunities and sustainable development. Read more
FG, Rivers, Oyo to establish new courts for ease of doing business (Guardian)
Nigeria’s Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC) and the Judiciary in Oyo and Rivers States today announced the establishment of Small Claims Courts as part of an attempt to boost investors’ confidence and reduce the challenges faced by small and medium-scale businesses.
Bringing to nine, the number of states with such initiatives in Nigeria, the move is aimed at addressing business-related challenges and making Nigeria a progressively easier place to do business.
Already the states have inaugurated Small Claims Judicial Committees to begin the process of establishing Small Claims Courts in their respective States.
Special Adviser to the President, Ease of Doing Business and PEBEC Secretary, Dr Jumoke Oduwole in a statement signed by Dr Jumoke Oduwole said the move would improve access to justice by micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) through the establishment of Small Claims Courts. Read more
Home Alone star Joe Pesci reveals he intentionally avoided Macaulay Culkin while filming festive flicks (Standard)
Joe Pesci has admitted he used to avoid Macaulay Culkin on the set of the Home Alone films over 30 years ago.
The 79-year-old starred opposite the child star in the festive flick and its sequel, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, when Culkin was 10 and 12.
The Goodfellas actor played Harry in the first film, one of the two burglars attempting to break into the house of Kevin McCallister (Culkin), a child who is left behind when his family travel to Paris for the holidays.
The sequel, which is set a year later, sees Kevin facing his arch-nemeses — the Wet Bandits — again after he accidentally boards a flight to New York City when his family flies to Florida for Christmas. Read more
Super Mario Bros. Movie trailer shows 1st look at Peach and Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong (Mirror)
The second trailer for the up-and-coming Super Mario Bros. Movie has dropped and it gives us a deeper insight into Illumination Studios’ interpretation of the Mushroom Kingdom and Nintendo’s colourful cast of characters.
Based on the hit Nintendo video game franchise that has been a staple of the video game industry for 36 years the animated comedy adventure is set to be a hit with kids and adults alike.
The first trailer caused a great deal of discussion, mostly positive although many were disappointed at Chris Pratt ‘s version of the iconic plumber Mario’s voice.
The brand-new trailer was shown off during a Nintendo Direct presentation yesterday and was introduced by Mario creator and gaming legend, Shigeru Miyamoto. Read more
Sugababes announce one-off gig at The O2 next September (MusicNews)
Sugababes have announced a one-off concert at London’s The O2 arena next year.
The original line-up – Mutya Buena, Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donagh – reunited for their first performance in nine years at the Mighty Hoopla festival in June, and followed that dazzling performance with a triumphant set at Glastonbury and a reunion tour.
Now, the trio have announced details of a huge arena show at the London venue on September 15, 2023.
The ‘Overload’ hitmakers had originally planned to launch their comeback in 2020 – but their ambitions were derailed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more
Kanye West picks up daughter North after finalising divorce from Kim Kardashian (Mirror)
Kanye West was on dad duty on Tuesday after finally agreeing to a divorce settlement with Kim Kardashian.
The rapper, 45, was on hand to pick up his eldest child North, nine, after she finished her basketball training.
Youngster North was snapped wearing a black Donda sweatshirt as she walked by her dad’s side following the session. She paired the top with black shorts and light blue trainers. She also wore a necklace with a cross pendant.
The musician, with his stereotypical stoney-faced look, also wore all black, opting for a plain black hoody, jeans and his usual large welly boots. He completed his look with a small over-the-shoulder bag. Read more
Vin Diesel pays tribute to Paul Walker 9 years after his death (People)
Vin Diesel is honoring his late friend and co-star Paul Walker.
On the night before the ninth anniversary of his friend’s death, the Riddick star shared a throwback photo of the costars in an Instagram post on Tuesday.
“Nine years… love you and miss you,” Diesel, 55, posted alongside the photo.
Walker died on Nov. 30, 2013, in a car crash. He was 40. As he was in the middle of filming Fast 7 at the time, Paul’s brothers Caleb and Cody were hired to stand in for him for the remainder of production, before his face was digitally superimposed onto their bodies. Read more
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex rules out making reality TV show (FilmNews)
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex has no plans to make a reality TV show.
During a conversation with producer Andy Cohen for her Archetypes podcast, the producer brought up the rumour that the royal was lined up to join The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills when she moved to the U.S. with her husband Prince Harry in 2020.
Meghan went on to insist that she wasn’t aware of the speculation and has no desire to appear on such a programme.
“There will be no reality show,” the 41-year-old asserted. “I think it’s so funny. I never heard that (rumour). I never heard about the Beverly Hills of it all.” Read more
The generators big enough to power whole villages being sent to Ukraine (ITV)
More than 70 generators are on their way to Ukraine – with some of them big enough to power a small hospital.
Around 25 tonnes of aid is being sent to the country to try to help people through the cold Ukrainian winter, where the average temperatures are below freezing.
It includes dozens of generators, some of which are big enough to power a small village or hospital.
It is part of an appeal by the charity UK to Ukraine and the humanitarian aid fund Great Britain, which has seen villagers in Wiltshire raise hundreds of thousands of pounds. Read more
NFF celebrates Kunle Solaja as he is honoured in Qatar (Sun)
The Nigeria Football Federation has congratulated foremost journalist, prolific author and respected diarist, Mr. Kunle Solaja on the occasion of his being honoured by world football -governing body, FIFA in Doha, Qatar on Tuesday.
Alongside 81 other journalists of repute who have attended and reported at nearly a score of the quadrennial global football fiesta and other glamour tournaments, Solaja, a fomer Sports Editor of Concord Newspapers and the Guardian Newspapers, was awarded a certificate of achievement and a replica of the World Cup trophy, presented by Brazilian legend Ronaldo.
Solaja, presently the chief executive of online sports publication, www.sportsvillagesquare.com, was one of only two Africans on the list, the other being South African Mark Gleeson. Read more
NPFL-Dozy Mmobuosi pre-season tourney gets new date (Punch)
The dates for the NPFL-Dozy Mmobuosi Foundation pre-season Super Cup has been adjusted but organisers stated that the venue remained the Mobalaji Stadium, Onikan in Lagos.
The NPFL-Dozy Mmobuosi Foundation pre-season Super Cup tournament packaged by Tingo Media was to kick off on Thursday December 1 and end December 4.
However, Davidson Owumi, Head of Operations, Nigeria Professional Football League, in a memo explained that the tourney will now hold from December 6 to 9.
“We regret to announce a slight shift in schedule for the NPFL-Dozy Mmobuosi Foundation pre-season Super Cup tournament due to unexpected logistics reasons that arose. However, the venue remains unchanged as the tournament now holds from December 6 to 9,” Owumi stated. Read more
Top Qatari official puts worker deaths for World Cup ‘‘between 400 and 500’’ (France24)
A top Qatari official involved in the country’s World Cup organization has put the number of worker deaths for the tournament “between 400 and 500” for the first time, a drastically higher number than any other previously offered by Doha.
The comment by Hassan al-Thawadi, the secretary-general of Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, appeared to come off the cuff during an interview with British journalist Piers Morgan.
It also threatened to reinvigorate criticism by human rights groups over the toll of hosting the Middle East’s first World Cup for the migrant labor that built over $200 billion worth of stadiums, metro lines and new infrastructure needed for the tournament.
In the interview, portions of which Morgan posted online, the British journalist asks al-Thawadi: “What is the honest, realistic total you think of migrant workers who died from – as a result of work they’re doing for the World Cup in totality?” Read more
Croatia charged for fans’ taunts of Canadian goalkeeper (Global)
FIFA opened a disciplinary case against Croatia on Tuesday because of its fans’ taunts aimed at Canadian goalkeeper Milan Borjan, who has Serbian family ties, during the teams’ World Cup game.
FIFA said the charge against the Croatian soccer federation was “due to the behaviour of its fans” and cited rules relating to discrimination and security at games. It followed a formal complaint by Canada Soccer.
Borjan was born in an ethnic Serb region of Croatia that was part of the conflict that split the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. Read more
Surprise candidate emerges to replace Mattia Binotto at Ferrari (F1News)
Ferrari looked set to end their title drought this season, which dates all the way back to 2008, but a stunning capitulation saw the team struggle to hold on to second place in the championship.
The Scuderia had clearly the fastest car in the opening weeks of the season, but strategy errors combined with a whole host of reliability issues saw the team fall away from the title race.
Ferrari have recently issued a statement, rubbishing claims that they plan to sack their team principal, but this has not stopped the rumours circling the team suggesting that Mattia Binotto is set to be replaced in the coming weeks. Read more
Toni Nadal announces Nick Kyrgios as participant of 2023 Mallorca Championships (TennisWorld)
Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios will be competing at the Mallorca Championships in 2023, tournament director Toni Nadal has announced.
Kyrgios, 27, is set to make his second appearance on the grass courts of Mallorca. This year, Kyrgios debuted at the Mallorca Championships. After starting his grass season with back-to-back semi final appearances in Stuttgart and Halle, Kyrgios was the top favorite to win it all in Mallorca.
In his tournament opener, Kyrgios recovered from a break down to beat Laslo Djere. On the day of his round-of-16 match versus Roberto Bautista Agut, Kyrgios announced he was withdrawing from the tournament due to an abdominal injury. Read more