LASEMA rescues suspected COVID-19 patient on street (Vanguard)
Men of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, on Saturday, in an emergency call, rescued a lady suspected to a patient of COVID-19 along Ajose Adeogun by Ligali Ayorinde Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Director-General of LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu confirmed the report saying the patient has been taken to general hospital for treatment.
According to Oke-Osanyintolu, “Sequel to Mr Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s activation, the agency’s Medical Unit was directed to the above-mentioned scene where a woman was said to be lying down weak and helpless by passersby who called the agency’s emergency toll-free line 112.
“On getting to the scene of the incident, the Team discovered a self-reported 22-year-old female who self-identified as “Princess” sitting on the pavement. Read more
Don’t patronise erring transport operators, RTEAN tells commuters in Lagos (DailyTrust)
The Road Transport Employers’ Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) has urged commuters in Lagos to stop boarding overloaded commercial buses and help combat spread of Coronavirus. Alhaji Mohammed Musa, Lagos State Chairman of RTEAN, made the plea in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos while assessing compliance level of members, a week after the lockdown ease. Musa said that commuters could also help in ensuring compliance to the physical distancing in public transportation in the state. “We have urged our members to adhere strictly to the Lagos State Government new transport guidelines of carrying only eight in 14-seater commercial buses to forestall further spread of COVID-19. Read more
Lagos to introduce community management of COVID-19 cases (Guardian)
Lagos State Government says it will introduce the management of COVID-19 patients at community levels, so as to enhance the management of cases in the state.
The state governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, made the disclosure while giving an update on the management of COVID-19 and review of the lockdown easing in the state on Saturday.
Sanwo-Olu said that the government would be accrediting and incorporating primary health care facilities and private healthcare facilities for the management of mild-to-moderate cases of COVID-19 patients. Read more
Truck crushes vehicle in Lagos, injures five (Punch)
An articulated truck on Friday reportedly crushed a vehicle around the Ifako-Ojodu area of Lagos State, leaving five occupants injured.
The truck, said to be loaded with an undisclosed item, collided with a Toyota Sienna vehicle on top speed.
Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Nosa Okunbor, said the injured persons were given first aid treatment by personnel of the Lagos State Ambulance Service before they were whisked to a nearby hospital.
He, however, said no life was lost in the accident, adding that recovery operation had been done. Read more
Rivers: Gov Wike demolishes 2 hotels for flouting lockdown order (DailyTrust)
Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike on Sunday monitored the demolition of two hotels for flouting the state’s lockdown order. This was in line with the state executive order 6, which banned the operation of hotels across the 23 local government areas of the state. The hotels demolished are Prudent Hotel in Eleme and Etemeteh Hotel in Onne. Governor Wike who spoke to journalists shortly after the demolition said that the law must be obeyed, hence the decision to enforce it. Read more
2 COVID-19 patients abscond in Kaduna (DailyTrust)
Kaduna State Government on Sunday said two people, who tested positive for COVID-19 in the state, have absconded after health officials notified them of their test result. State Commissioner of Health, Dr. Amina Mohammed-Baloni, said the two patients had been on isolation pending receipts of their test results and had been duly informed on Friday that they had tested positive. Dr. Baloni, in a statement she signed on Sunday, said: “Health officials subsequently notified them that a team will be coming to convey them to the isolation centre for treatment. “These persons subsequently switched off their phones and have remained incommunicado. Read more
Name and shame’ initiative: Leaders, indigenes mock convicted Ekiti rapists (Punch)
The people of Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital and those in Ijero-Ekiti in the Ijero council area are cheery over the “name and shame” initiative of the state government to curb sexual violence in the state.
The residents, who frowned at sexual violence in any form, described the decision by the state government to publicly shame persons convicted of rape as a step in the right direction to deter sex crimes.
Under the ‘name and shame’ initiative, the names and photographs of convicted sex offenders are pasted in prominent public spaces in their communities and local government headquarters as part of measures by the Governor Kayode Fayemi administration in Ekiti State to redress the frequency of reported cases of sexual violence. Read more
Heat wave: Yobe Government advises residents (Guardian)
The Yobe Government has advised residents to adopt safeguard measures against the heatwave (hot season) being experienced in the state.
Dr Mohammed Gana, the state Commissioner for Health and Human Services, gave the advice in a statement he signed and made available to newsmen on Sunday in Damaturu.
Gana expressed concern over the adverse effect of what he described as the very high temperature and intensive heat in the state. Read more
Coronavirus couldn’t close Northern California beach – but deadly shark could (NYPost)
A Northern California beach that had remained open to surfers and swimmers despite the coronavirus has now been closed — due to a fatal shark attack.
A 26-year-old male victim was killed by a shark of an unknown species Saturday at a Northern California beach while surfing in the waters off Manresa State Beach on the northern end of Monterey Bay, the California State Parks department said in a statement.
The victim, whose identity has not been released, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Santa Cruz County’s most recent public health order closes beaches between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. every day — but allows people to cross beaches to swim, kayak, surf and participate in other water sports during those times. Read more
New Covid-19 cases in China, including pandemic hotspot Wuhan (RT)
A new indigenous case of Covid-19 has been reported in China’s Hubei province, considered ground zero of the pandemic that has killed over 270,000 people worldwide.
The new case was identified in Wuhan and is one of 14 reported by the Chinese health authority on Sunday. There is also a cluster of 11 infections in Shulan, in the northeastern Jilin province, and two imported cases in the Shanghai municipality, the National Health Commission said.
The jump in new positive tests is reported to be the biggest since April 28.
Just three days ago, China designated all its territory as having a low Covid-19 risk, but the new developments show how the highly contagious virus can make a sudden and rapid comeback. Read more
Meet the man who has travelled across the world without wearing shoes (Metro)
Ian Oliver has travelled the world, but when it comes to packing, there’s one thing he doesn’t worry about – shoes. The 44-year-old, from Nottinghamshire, is known as the Barefoot Backpacker.
Ian first started getting comfortable with being barefoot as a teenager but admits that as a child, he really disliked the idea. He tells Metro.co.uk: ‘I think, as a child I never used to like being barefoot, at all.Read more
3 White House coronavirus task force members in quarantine (CBC)
Three members of the White House coronavirus task force placed themselves in quarantine after contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, another stark reminder that not even one of the U.S.’s most secure buildings is immune from the virus.
Anthony Fauci, a high-profile member of the coronavirus response team, is considered to be at relatively low risk based on the degree of his exposure, according to a representative for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
Fauci, the 79-year-old NIAID director, has tested negative for COVID-19 and he will continue to be tested regularly, the official said in an emailed statement. Read more
Seoul mayor orders bars, clubs shut after new Covid-19 cases in South Korea (France24)
South Korea’s capital has ordered the closure of all clubs and bars after a burst of new cases sparked fears of a second coronavirus wave as President Moon Jae-in urged the public to remain vigilant.
The nation has been held up as a global model in how to curb the virus, but the order from the Seoul mayor on Saturday followed the new infection cluster in Itaewon, one of the city’s busiest nightlife districts.
More than two dozen cases were linked to a 29-year-old man who tested positive after spending time at five clubs and bars in Itaewon last weekend.
Health authorities have warned of a further spike in infections, with around 7,200 people estimated to have visited the five establishments identified. Read more
Australian children to gradually return to school as COVID-19 controls ease (VOA)
In Australia, schools have been one of the most controversial parts of COVID-19 lockdowns. The vast majority of students have stayed home. Only a small number of children whose parents cannot care for them during the day have been allowed to attend. However, as Australia begins to wind back some of its coronavirus restrictions, Prime Minister Scott Morrison is again insisting all students should return to class. This has put him at odds with state governments, which have control over schools.
Home-schooling has become a monumental challenge for parents across Australia.
There is confusion about mixed messages from politicians. The federal government has said Australian children should go to school, while many state authorities have urged that they stay home. Read more
French Open could take place without fans (France24)
The French Open tennis tournament at Roland Garros could be held without fans later this year, the president of the French Tennis Federation (FTF) said on Sunday.
The clay-court tournament at Roland Garros was initially slated to be held May 24-June 7, but was postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic and rescheduled for Sept. 20-Oct. 4.
Bernard Giudicelli tells French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche that organizers are considering the prospect it might need to go ahead without fans present. It could even start one week later.
“Organizing it without fans would allow a part of the economy to keep turning, (like) television rights and partnerships. It’s not to be overlooked,” Giudicelli said in the newspaper interview Sunday. “We’re not ruling any option out.” Read more
Liverpool may launch a move to snatch Saka from Arsenal (Vanguard)
Liverpool are convinced they can tempt Bukayo Saka away from Arsenal. But the Gunners are planning to rebuff all interests in the left-sided midfielder.
Saka has impressed after being fast-tracked into the Arsenal team this season after leapfrogging Sead Kolasinac and the injured Kieran Tierney at left-back.
He is about to enter the final year of his contract at the Emirates, and his eye-catching form has alerted Liverpool, according to Football Insider. Read more
Third Brighton player tests positive for coronavirus ahead of Project Restart vote (Metro)
A third Brighton player has tested positive for coronavirus. The unnamed player will go into 14-day isolation while he recovers from the virus. The rest of the squad will continue to train as they have been doing during the lockdown, both at home and in solo sessions at the club’s training ground. Two other players, whose names have also not been revealed by the club, contracted the virus earlier in the pandemic, but are understood to have since recovered. The news comes as Seagulls technical director Dan Ashworth has called for players’ safety to be on top of the agenda at Monday’s Premier League meeting. Read more
Trump congratulates UFC for restarting sports (NYPost)
President Donald Trump congratulated UFC for restarting the sports world Saturday night after a nearly two-month hiatus.
Trump’s taped message was played during ESPN’s broadcast of the UFC 249 undercard from a fan-free arena in Jacksonville.
“I want to congratulate (UFC President) Dana White and the UFC,” Trump said. “They’re going to have a big match. We love it. We think it’s important. Get the sports leagues back. Let’s play. Do the social distancing and whatever else you have to do. We need sports. We want our sports back. Congratulations to Dana White and UFC.” Read more
Tony Ferguson hospitalized after brutal battering at hands of Justin Gaethje at UFC 249 (RT)
Tony Ferguson will be licking his wounds in more ways than one on Sunday morning after he was taken to hospital for injuries suffered in his TKO defeat to Justin Gaethje in a fight which removes ‘El Cucuy’ from title contention.
Ferguson was stopped late in the fifth round after a prolonged beating at the hands of newly-crowned interim lightweight champion Gaethje in their UFC 249 headline clash, and the fight left quite the physical toll on Ferguson.
With his 12-fight, eight-year winning streak snapped in definitive fashion, the 36-year-old was taken to a nearby medical facility in Jacksonville to receive treatment for a number of facial wounds he suffered throughout the near 25-minute fight. Read more
Don’t ignore Nigerian-born players abroad, Ola Aina tells NFF (Vanguard)
Super Eagles defender, Ola Aina has urged the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, not to ignore Nigerian-born players abroad for an invitation to the national team.
Aina played for the English youth teams but committed his future to the Super Eagles. He argued that as long as any player has Nigerian roots, they should be given a chance to display their prowess in the national team. He was speaking against the background of Ovie Ejaria’s decision to play for Nigeria.
“If you have the roots and from Nigeria, you should be welcomed to play for Nigeria, no one should be felt like they are pushed aside,” said the Torino of Italy player.
He explained that he switched to Nigeria with the realisation he wouldn’t have the chance to play for England. Read more