LASU student, others shoot man in his manhood (Punch)
An undergraduate of the Lagos State University, Shittu Saheed, was on Wednesday arraigned before the Lagos State Special Offences Court in Ikeja for armed robbery and allegedly shooting one Oke Oscar in his manhood with a locally-made pistol.
Saheed was arraigned alongside five suspected members of the Aiye Confraternity, Victor Otobo, Suleiman Musa, Ibrahim Kolade, Ayinla Muiz and Lateef Alowonle, on 11 counts bordering on conspiracy to commit robbery, armed robbery, attempted murder and causing grievous harm.
They pleaded not guilty to the charges. Read more
PDP ignores court order, holds election in Lagos (DailyTrust)
Despite a court order stopping the conduct of fresh election of new members of the state working committee (SWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the National Working Committee (NWC) yesterday went ahead with the congress. Daily Trust reports that Justice T. A. O. Oyekan-Abdullahi of the Lagos High Court had ordered that status quo should remain in the affairs of the PDP in Lagos State Read more
Police arrest four notorious Lagos ‘armed robbers’ (Nation)
Four alleged notorious armed robbers have been arrested by detectives attached to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID), Yaba and operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The suspects were said to have held residents of Ojota and Ketu ransom for so long, terrorising and robbing them at gunpoint.
It was gathered that the suspects identified as Ajibade Taiwo alias T-Boy, Yakubu Ezra nicknamed Rakta, Justice Puaag alias Fela and Abdul Mohammed popularly called Aboki were arrested around 1am on Wednesday at their hideout at 48, Hon. Bayo Osinowo Street, Ogudu. Read more
LCCI picks holes in ease of doing business ranking (NewTelegraph)
In the latest World Bank’s 2020 Ease of Doing Business Report, Nigeria leapfrogged to 131 from 146, moving 15 places up the ladder. Despite this feat, members of the organised private sector are still concerned over business operating environment. Taiwo Hassan reports.
Indeed, it was cheering news for Nigerians following the World Bank’s 2020 Doing Business Report as the country moved to 131 position from 146th position last year. The ranking is Nigeria’s best performance since 2011. Read more
Operator seeks $50m for Lagos cable car project (Punch)
Transactions worth $40.1bn were secured at the second edition of the African Investment Forum, President of the African Development Bank, Dr Akinwumi Adesina, has said.
Ropeways Transport, promoter of Lagos Cable Car Project, also sought $50m from financiers to make up funds already secured to execute the project.
They both spoke at the closing of the forum in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Wednesday. Read more
Three sentenced to death for kidnapping Lagos monarch (Punch)
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Lagos State Special Offences Court in Ikeja, on Wednesday, sentenced three men to death for kidnapping the Oniba of Iba community, Oba Yishua Oseni.
The convicts, Duba Furejo, alias General Cuba; Reuben Anthony and Yerin Fresh, were found guilty of the seven counts bordering on conspiracy, murder, attempted murder, armed robbery and kidnapping brought against them by the state government.
The convicts had on July 16, 2016, kidnapped the monarch at his palace. Read more
FUNAAB expels student for writing open letter to VC on Facebook (Guardian)
A 200-Level student of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Michael Adewale Ifemosu, has been expelled by the institution for allegedly posting an open letter on his Facebook page to the vice chancellor, Prof Kolawole Salako.
The university said Ifemosu was expelled for allegedly posting an open letter on the internet to the vice chancellor, where made spurious allegations against the school.
Ifemosu is the convener, “Youth in good governance initiative (YIGGI) and Ogun State secretary for African action congress (AAC) – the political party under which Omoyele Sowore contested as the 2019 presidential candidate. Read more
Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway (Vanguard)
No fewer than 13 persons lost their lives, while 10 others sustained injuries in multiple accidents around Saapade, near Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, on Wednesday.
Mr Clement Oladele, the Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ogun, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abeokuta.
Oladele said that the crash occurred around 5 pm. at Saapade, where the diversion was created by RCC, the construction company currently working on the rehabilitation of the corridor. Read more
Foundation rescues 158 children from 67 communities practicing killing of twin, triplet and others (Vanguard)
It is strange to know that there is still in existence of cultural beliefs that do not place value for human life, especially newborns as they are being killed when they breach the culture do to primitive reasons.
This is the true story of 67 communities in five Area Councils of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja, Nigeria’s capital city. Read more
Nigeria losing billions to gas flaring – Reps (Nation)
The House of Representatives has expressed concern about the huge financial loss the nation is incurring as a result of gas flaring by oil companies operating in the Niger Delta and has directed its committees to investigate the loss and report back to the House.
The House said it was unfortunate that few weeks to 2020 target to end gas flaring in the country, there is nothing concrete on ground to suggest that gas flaring will stop. Read more
Police order seizure of vehicles without number plates (Nation)
BARELY three days to the governorship election in Kogi State, the police have ordered immediate seizure of all vehicles without number plates of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).
State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Akeem Busari, who gave the order in Lokoja on Tuesday, said owners of vehicles with covered number plates should also remove them or have them impounded by policemen.
Busari, who spoke to newsmen after a security meeting of some heads of security agencies in the state, also ordered policemen attached to politicians and political office holders to withdraw themselves from such duty, latest Friday morning. Read more
Arsene Wenger: Fifa appoints former Arsenal manager to senior role (BBC)
Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is returning to football after he agreed to become Fifa’s new chief of global football development.
The move ends speculation linking the Frenchman, 70, with a return to management as Bayern Munich boss.
Wenger left the Gunners in May 2018, after 22 years in charge, three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups.
“I very much look forward to taking on this extremely important challenge,” he said. Read more
AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Kalu scores decisive goal as Nigeria beat Benin Republic 2-1 (Nation)
Samuel Kalu on Wednesday shot Nigeria to the top of Group L of the 2021 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Benin Republic at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the visitors had taken a surprise lead as early as the third minute of the game through Stephane Sessegnon.
The Super Eagles however rallied and got the equaliser through Victor Osimhen in the 45th minute from the penalty spot as the score ended 1-1 at the end of the first half. Read more
Frankfurt captain Abraham banned seven games for barging coach (Punch)
Eintracht Frankfurt captain David Abraham will not play again in 2019 after being banned until December 29 and fined 25,000 euros ($27,530) on Wednesday for barging Freiburg coach Christian Streich during a Bundesliga match.
A sports court of the German Football Association hit Abraham with the hefty fine and seven-week ban for “assaulting an opponent” after shoulder barging Streich on the sidelines of Sunday’s league game.
Eintracht Frankfurt immediately said they will appeal “in order to give David Abraham the opportunity” to explain his side of the story. Read more
Euro 2020 qualifier: England boss to name ‘very young line-up’ against Montenegro (BBC)
England will name a “very young line-up” as they look to wrap up Euro 2020 qualification against Montenegro on Thursday, says boss Gareth Southgate.
The Three Lions only need one point from their final two qualifiers.
Thursday’s game at Wembley is England’s 1,000th senior men’s international.
“The line-up against Spain [in October 2018] was one of the youngest for decades and I think we are going to be even younger than that,” said Southgate. Read more
Eagles were too slow, say Lawal, Adepoju (Punch)
Ex-Nigeria internationals, Garba Lawal and Mutiu Adepoju, have reacted to the Super Eagles’ nervy 2-1 victory against Benin Republic in their 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo on Wednesday.
The Squirrels took advantage of the Eagles’ poor start to go ahead after five minutes, before goals from Victor Osimhen in the 45th minute and Samuel Kalu in the 63rd minute helped secure a win for the hosts.
“I think 2-1 is a good result but Nigerians will be disappointed because we had a slow start,” Lawal said.
“The game against Lesotho on Sunday is going to be difficult because we are playing away from home, but if they can get another win, they will put themselves in the driving seat with six points. Read more
IOC President arrives Nigeria (Nation)
The Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare on Wednesday, received the President of the International Olympics Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach in Abuja.
Receiving the IOC President, the Minister listed some of the activities lined up for the two- day visit.
“Nigeria welcomes the President of the International Olympic Committee Mr. Thomas Bach very warmly to Nigeria and the ANOCA President Bartman Barif and the entire team and we hope that the next two days will be exciting as we have lined up a number of activities. Read more
I want to play in EPL – Chukwueze (Punch)
Super Eagles forward, Samuel Chukwueze, has expressed his desire to ply his trade in the English Premier League.
Chukwueze, who plays for La Liga side, Villarreal, however said his move to the EPL will be based on assurances of first team football.
“My ambition is to play in the Premier League, but I want to go to a club where I’m really wanted, where I will be a starting player. Both the coach and club owner must show desire to sign me,” he told Fast Track. Read more
Iheanacho set for January loan move (Punch)
Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho is set for a loan move when the January transfer window reopens.
The 23-year-old Nigeria international has not made an appearance for the Foxes in the EPL this season but has scored twice in the Carabao Cup.
According to HITC, Brendan Rodgers is looking for a quality back-up option to Jamie Vardy who has scored 11 goals so far this for the Foxes and doesn’t rate Iheanacho as one. Read more
The only time that Messi has asked to swap shirts (Vanguard)
Lionel Messi is quite used to opposition players asking him if they can swap shirts after the game, but he has also done the same on one occasion in his career.
The Barcelona captain revealed that he has asked the current Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane for a swap while the latter was playing for Los Blancos.
“I’m don’t ask for shirts, I usually swap them, but I asked Zidane once,” Messi said in an interview with TyC Sports a few years ago. Read more
Qualifying for Tokyo 2020 is not negotiable – Otis Hughley (DailyTrust)
Otis Hughley Head coach of D’Tigress, Otis Hughley has said the team is fully focused on the task of qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic. The Nigerian senior women’s team are presently in Mozambique for the FIBA Africa pre-Olympic qualifiers
Otis said qualification for the 2020 Olympics Qualifying Tournament (OQT) is not negotiable. Read more
Ronaldo ready to risk injury to play for Portugal (ThisDay)
Portugal’s Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo is ready to play in their Euro 2020 qualifiers against Lithuania and Luxembourg despite concerns over his fitness which came to the fore last weekend, coach Fernando Santos said on Wednesday.
Ronaldo was substituted in the 55th minute of Juventus’ win over AC Milan in Serie A on Sunday, the earliest he has been taken off by the Italian champions, and he was visibly furious with coach Maurizio Sarri as he stormed down the tunnel.
Sarri said after the game that Ronaldo has been managing a knee problem for the last month without missing matches and has also been dealing with thigh and calf muscle problems. Read more