LASUTH places three health workers on isolation (Guardian)
The Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja, says it has placed three of its health workers on isolation after their contact with a patient who died of COVID-19.
Dr Ibrahim Mustafa, the Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee (CMAC) of LASUTH, made this known to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.
Mustafa said that two doctors and a nurse had contact with the patient, who later died on April 3 at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, Lagos.
He said that the patient was attended to in the vehicle that conveyed him to LASUTH, thus reduced his exposure to health workers and other patients.
According to him, there was a high suspicion of the patient being a COVID-19 case, and the patient was referred to LUTH due to insufficient bed space at LASUTH as at the time he was presented at the facility. Read more
FCT, Lagos, Ogun communities ignore Buhari’s lockdown order (Punch)
Residents of some communities in the Federal Capital Territory, Ogun and Lagos states on Sunday violated the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari’s (retd.) lockdown order.
On Saturday and Sunday, our correspondents in the FCT observed that although there was compliance with the order within the Abuja metropolis, residents of its suburbs, who cited hunger, went out contrary to the government’s directive.
In Ogun State, the Deputy Governor, Noimot Salako-Oyedele, in a statement on Sunday, decried the level of compliance in the Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area.
Residents of Lagos areas such as Iyana-Ipaja, Ketu and Alapare cited hunger for violating the lockdown. Read more
Lagos commits to tackling illegal physical developments (Guardian)
The Lagos State government has reiterated commitment towards the implementation of its policy of zero tolerance to all illegal physical developments.
The State’s Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr Idris Salako who regretted encroachment on ecological zones in the state, said that the step was necessary to preserve and guide against the misuse/abuse of all greenbelts, gorges, water bodies, wetlands and other vulnerable natural landscapes. Read more
Nigeria records eight new COVID-19 cases, total now 232 (Punch)
Nigeria has recorded eight new cases of coronavirus in Lagos State, the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and Kaduna State.
The eight new cases bring the total number of infections in the country to 232.
While five of the new cases were recorded in Lagos, FCT had two and Kaduna, one.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control made this known via its Twitter handle at 09.32pm on Sunday.
It tweeted, “Eight new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: Five in Lagos, two in the FCT and one in Kaduna State. Read more
Abia to mass-produce face masks, others (Nation)
Tailors in Aba, the commercial nerve of Abia State have begun the local production of surgical face masks as the price of the imported ones is out of reach of the common man while coronavirus pandemic skyrockets in the country.
Information has it that they have also produced lab coat in large quantity for medical personnel.
Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu last week had challenged manufacturers in the state to locally mass-produce Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for those at medical personnel and those in the frontline of the fight to defeat the Coronavirus pandemic in the state and country at large. Read more
Apprehension as stay-at-home order over COVID-19 may be extended (Guardian)
Not many Nigerians, especially the vulnerable citizens in the country took the warning from the Minister Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, lightly that government might extend the on-going lockdown of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos and the Ogun states if residents continued to violate the stay-at-home order so as to stem the spread of coronavirus.
Mohammed, who dropped the hint of a possible extension of the lockdown, hinged his warning on the failure of the citizenry to comply with the stay-at-home order.
Although there is no evidence since the stay-at-home order was given that the number of positive cases of coronavirus victims has continued to increase with about 224 and five deaths. Read more
Kaigama to govt: be sensitive to the poor (Nation)
The Metropolitan Archbishop of Abuja Catholic Archdiocese, Ignatius Kaigama, on Sunday urged the government to be sensitive to the suffering of Nigerians during the COVID-19 lockdown.
He spoke in Abuja while celebrating mass at Our Lady Queen of Nigeria Pro-Cathedral Church.
The cleric said the poor and the less privileged were suffering at this time.
“The government must be sensitive to the suffering of the people who have nothing to eat or means of survival at this critical period,” he said.
Kaigama advised security agents not to be hard on the people, noting that it was a difficult task to stay indoors. Read more
Lockdown: Police arrest Funke Akindele over house party (Punch)
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested Funke Akindele for hosting a party in contravention of the lockdown order in Lagos State, The PUNCH can confirm.
The Lagos State Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, told The PUNCH that the actress had been taken to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba.
He told The PUNCH, “Yes, we have (arrested) Funke Akindele and we are looking for the others. She has been taken to SCID.”
The PUNCH learnt that policemen arrived in Amen Estate off Lekki-Epe Expressway in about three patrol vehicles. Read more
10 pastors detained for holding church services (Nation)
Over 10 pastors have been arrested by police from the Eket divisional headquarters in Akwa Ibom State for holding church services against the stay-at-home directive of the state government.
Governor Udom Emmanuel had on Thursday ordered a total lock down across the state, following the announcement by the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) that five persons had tested positive to the coronavirus in the state.
In defiance of the directive, some churches in Eket opened on Sunday as members gathered in their numbers for services. Read more
Ecuador city runs out of coffins amid coronavirus crisis (France24)
Ecuador’s government has begun storing the bodies of victims of the coronavirus in giant refrigerated containers as hundreds of deaths in the city of Guayaquil, the center of the country’s outbreak, have already filled morgues and hospitals.
Ecuador has confirmed 318 deaths from the virus, one of the highest tallies in Latin America. But President Lenin Moreno said this week that the real figure was higher as authorities were collecting more than 100 bodies a day, many from relatives’ homes as a strict quarantine prevented them from being buried.
The government has installed three containers, the largest about 12 meters (40 ft) long, at public hospitals to preserve bodies until graves were prepared, according to Guayaquil’s mayor, Cynthia Viteri. So far 150 victims have been buried in a private cemetery in the port city. Read more
Thousands of NY COVID patients are being treated with anti-malarial drug (NYPost)
As many as 4,000 seriously ill coronavirus patients in New York are being treated with the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, state health officials say.
President Trump has touted hydroxychloroquine as a potential life-saver, although there is no widespread scientific evidence to date showing it helps battle COVID-19.
But Gov. Andrew Cuomo last month said healthcare providers in the state would be using the drug in combination with the antibiotic Zithromax, or azithromycin, for some last-ditch cases, based on potentially promising research. Read more
Coronavirus: Queen tells UK ‘we will succeed’ in fight (BBC)
The Queen has said the UK “will succeed” in its fight against the coronavirus pandemic, in a rallying message to the nation.
In a rare speech, the monarch thanked people for following government rules to stay at home and praised those “coming together to help others”.
She also thanked key workers, saying “every hour” of work “brings us closer to a return to more normal times”.
It comes as the number of people to die with the virus in the UK reached 4,934. Read more
UK PM Johnson admitted to hospital due to ‘persistent symptoms’ of coronavirus (France24)
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital for tests on Sunday in what Downing Street said was a “precautionary step” because he was showing persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus.
“On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests,” Downing Street said.
“This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus,” Downing Street said.
Johnson, 55, on March 27 became the first leader of a major power to announce that he had tested positive. He went into isolation at a flat in Downing Street and said on Friday he was staying there as he still had a high temperature. Read more
Researchers may have found coronavirus’ Achilles’ heel (NYPost)
There may be some good news on the coronavirus horizon, as Scripps Research reported it may have found COVID-19’s Achilles heel.
The research shows a specific area of the virus could be “targeted with drugs and other therapies, a finding that also could help with the development of a vaccine,” according to the San Diego Tribune.
The targeted area, according to biologist Ian Wilson, who led the scientific team, “is crucial to spreading the highly contagious virus, and … its composition suggests that it would be vulnerable to drugs.” Read more
Tiger at US zoo tests positive for coronavirus (BBC)
A four-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The Bronx Zoo, in New York City, says the test result was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa.
Nadia, her sister Azul, as well as two Amur tigers and three African lions, had developed a dry cough and all are expected to fully recover, it says.
The cats are believed to have been infected by a zoo keeper. Read more
US braces for ‘Pearl Harbor moment’ as coronavirus death toll rises (France24)
US governors on Sunday appealed to the White House for a national strategy against the fast-spreading coronavirus, as deaths surged and health authorities warned the coming week could resemble a “Pearl Harbor moment.”
The US death toll was creeping toward the grim milestone of 10,000 as the pandemic’s epicentre in New York racked up hundreds of lives lost a day and hospitals girded for an influx of new infected patients. Read more
Lady Gaga shares Chromatica artwork and it’s giving us Born This Way-era vibes (Metro)
Lady Gaga has released artwork for her upcoming album Chromatica. And it’s safe to say the star is back to her absurd pop star best. The stark picture – likely the album cover – was uploaded to the Grammy winner’s Twitter account on Sunday.
Alongside it, she posted the hashtag ‘Chromatica’. She also shared it on Insta, along with the vinyl covers. It features the star in spike-heeled platform shoes, and looks a little like Mad Max concept art – or something from the Born This Way era. (Remember when she was half-woman, half-motorcycle?) Read more
Kubrat Pulev: Anthony Joshua’s challenger pledges estimated £2m to coronavirus fight (BBC)
Kubrat Pulev has pledged half of his purse – an estimated £2m – from his world heavyweight title fight against Britain’s Anthony Joshua to help the battle against coronavirus.
The fight – scheduled for 20 June at London’s Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – was postponed because of the pandemic.
Pulev, 38, is expected to earn around $5m (£4.07m) from the fight.
He said: “I will give doctors, nurses and hospitals the necessary equipment to deal with this devilish virus.”
Speaking to German newspaper Bild, he added: “I will donate 50% of the money I earn from the match with Joshua to the tireless heroes in the fight against the coronavirus.” Read more
Jesse Lingard desperate to stay at Manchester United despite Arsenal interest (Metro)
Manchester United star Jesse Lingard has no intention of joining Arsenal and is focused on resurrecting his career at Old Trafford, sources have told Metro.co.uk. The 27-year-old has played a bit-part role at the Theatre of Dreams this term, scoring just twice in 35 appearances for the Red Devils. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spent £150m last summer but was forced to offset that outlay with the £73m departure of Romelu Lukaku to Inter Milan. Solskjaer’s decision to press ahead with a £47m move for Bruno Fernandes in January means his summer budget is set to be around £150m and he needs to raise funds elsewhere if he’s to complete an overhaul. Read more
Tom Dempsey: New Orleans great dies after contracting coronavirus (BBC)
New Orleans Saints great Tom Dempsey has died aged 73 after contracting coronavirus.
Dempsey set the record for the longest NFL field goal with a 63-yard kick in 1970 – and it was only beaten in 2013.
The placekicker, born without toes on his right foot and fingers on his right hand, played for five teams in an 11-season NFL career.
Dempsey, who had battled Alzheimer’s and dementia since 2012, was diagnosed with Covid-19 on 25 March. Read more
Liverpool tipped to sign Manchester City star Leroy Sane (Metro)
Liverpool have been tipped to sign Manchester City forward Leroy Sane by former Premier League and England defender Danny Mills. Sane has scored 39 goals in 134 appearances for reigning champions City since signing from Schalke in 2016. Despite being thought of as one of the brightest talents in Europe, the 24-year-old has predominately featured from the bench due to competition from the likes of Raheem Sterling, Riyad Mahrez and Gabriel Jesus. Sane is being strongly linked with a move away from the Etihad ahead of the summer transfer window and Mills believes Jurgen Klopp could look to bring the German to Anfield. Read more
Coronavirus: Premier League wage cuts talks end in deadlock (Nation)
Premier League players have been told that clubs are set to lose £1.137 billion over the coronavirus crisis, as talks over wage cuts failed to reach an agreement.
A video conference call was held on Saturday afternoon where a presentation from the Premier League to captains and coaches, explained why clubs want their players to accept a reduction in their pay.
The extraordinary conference call finished with no resolution on wage cuts for players, though a PFA statement said they are happy to continue talks – though have concerns whether a 30 per cent salary deduction would be detrimental to the NHS. Read more
Bayern Munich to resume training on Monday (Punch)
Bayern Munich said on Sunday that players will return to training on Monday for the first time since the Bundesliga was suspended due to the coronavirus.
Bayern led the table by four points when the season was halted on March 13.
“The Bayern Munich first team will return to training in small groups from Monday, April 6,” said a statement from the club.
“This will be done in coordination with government policy and the relevant authorities.
“It goes without saying that all hygiene regulations will be strictly observed.” Read more
FIFA draws up guidelines to tackle pay-cut complaints (Guardian)
FIFA is getting ready to deal with complaints and appeals over wage cuts for players, producing guidelines for clubs and football bodies looking to cut costs during the stoppage caused by the coronavirus pandemic, an internal document was seen by Reuters showed.
The issue of pay cuts for players has exploded as a major controversy in England while in other countries, such as Germany and Spain, players have accepted temporary reductions in earnings.
With football halted across the globe, however, FIFA is aware that it may well have to deal with a series of different agreements and possible complaints, and its guidelines urge any cuts to be “proportionate”. Read more