LAWMA to shut down Olusosun landfill for 48 hours (Guardian)
Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) has concluded plans to shut down Olusosun landfill at Ojota, Lagos, for a period of 48 hours, to enable the authority carry out palliative works on the dumpsite, for seamless waste management operations.
The authority made this known in a press statement on Monday, adding that the agency was carrying on with necessary maintenance of landfills in the state for efficient service delivery, with particular emphasis on Olusosun.
The statement reads, “The authority in bid to ensure that waste management operations at Olusosun dumpsite is effectively delivered, will shut down the landfill for a period of 48 hours, starting from November 10, 2021.”
It said further that the authority had made provision for use of alternative dumpsites, where waste collection trucks could dispose of their refuse, during the period of temporary closure, adding that PSP operators servicing Lagos Mainland had been diverted to Solous dumpsite, Igando, while those operating in the East District and Ikorodu, had been directed to dispose of their wastes at Epe dumpsite. Read more
2 feared dead in Lagos BRT, commercial bus crash (Punch)
Two people were feared dead and several others injured in a crash involving a Bus Rapid Transit vehicle and a commercial bus on the Ile-Epo, Agege end of the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, Lagos State on Sunday.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened around 8pm when the two vehicles had a head-on collision.
Our correspondent learnt that the commercial bus driver passed through the BRT lane due to the closure of the Ile-Epo side of the expressway due to ongoing rehabilitation works on the road.
According to residents, drivers are allowed to ply the BRT lane due to the construction work. Read more
Collapsed building: Lagos Assembly seeks compensation for bereaved families (Sun)
Lagos House of Assembly has called on Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to compensate families of the victims of the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi.
The lawmakers also urged the governor to direct relevant agencies to ensure that all requirements for buildings, as stipulated in the extant laws of the state, were strictly adhered to.
The assembly arrived at the resolution, sequel to a motion moved by Mr Nurein Akinsanya (Mushin I), during plenary on Monday in Lagos.
Death toll in the collapsed building has hit 44. Read more
6 dead, 15 injured in Bauchi auto crash (Leadership)
Sector commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Bauchi State, Yusuf Abdullahi, says no fewer than six people lost their lives in a lone road crash that occurred in Bauchi on Sunday.
Abdullahi, who disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Bauchi, yesterday, said 15 others were seriously injured as a result of the mishap.
He said the accident, which involved a Toyota Hiace bus belonging to the Kano Line transport company, with registration number KN21-H41, happened at Kwanan Digiza village, along the Jama’are-Azare road, around 11:30am.
“There was a crash yesterday involving a Kano line commercial vehicle and six people lost their lives to the crash. The six people that died were all females”, he said. Read more
Ogun teacher tackles bank, online store as fraudsters empty account (Punch)
A teacher, Comfort Mufutau, has lamented unauthorised debits to the tune of N215,000 from her Guaranty Trust Bank account for the purchase of recharge cards from an e-commerce store, Jumia Nigeria.
PUNCH Metro gathered that Mufutau wanted to transfer the sum of N5,000 to someone using her GTB mobile application when she discovered that her account had been emptied.
The 36-year-old said she immediately approached the bank’s branch in Sango, Ogun State, to lodge a complaint, adding that she requested her statement of account to trace the missing funds.
While assessing the account statement, Mufutau said she discovered that the missing money was used in purchasing recharge cards on Jumia, adding that she never initiated the transactions. Read more
Anambra Guber: INEC releases schedule for Ihiala Supplementary Poll (DailyTrust)
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced the voting period for the supplementary election that will hold in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State, on Tuesday.
In a statement, INEC National Commissioner and chairman (Information and Voter Education Committee), Festus Okoye, said voting would commence by 10am and end by 4pm.
The statement read, “Following the suspension of collation of results in respect of the 2021 Anambra State governorship election as announced yesterday, (November 7, 202) by the State Collation/Returning Officer and the decision of the commission to hold election in Ihiala Local Government Area on Tuesday, November 9, the commission in line with extant rules and regulations has made a slight adjustment to the commencement and closing time for the said election.
“Accordingly, polling in respect of the supplementary election for Ihiala Local Government will commence tomorrow (today, Tuesday) at 10am and end at 4pm. Read more
Fuel scarcity: IPMAN constitutes task force to check hoarding — Official (Vanguard)
The Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) has constituted a taskforce to check hoarding of products by fuel station operators.
The Chairman of IPMAN, Kano Zone, Alhaji Bashir Danmallam, made the disclosure on Monday in Kano in a statement issued to newsmen.
He said that the task force would work in collaboration with the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to ensure availability of fuel at filling stations across the country.
The chairman noted that any marketer found hoarding products would be dealt with. Read more
Govs attack Malami over $418m consultants’ fees, say AGF lied (Punch)
The Nigeria Governors’ Forum has accused the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, of having more than a passing interest in the controversial $418m refund request by consultants with respect to the Paris Club refund.
The umbrella body of governors of the 36 states of the federation made the accusation in a statement titled, ‘Re: Paris Club Refund: FG counters states, insists deduction lawful, NGF: Deduction not only unlawful, but it is also contrary to public policy and morality’, signed by the NGF’s Head of Media and Public Affairs, Abdulrazaque Bello-Barkindo, in Abuja on Monday.
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja had on Friday barred the Federal Government from deducting $418m from the bank accounts of the 36 states of the federation.
The amount allegedly owed the consultants for services rendered during negotiations for the refund, has been a source of dispute between the three tiers of government. Read more
Wike remains Nigeria’s face of democracy –Nsirim (Sun)
Rivers State Commissioner or Information and Communications Pastor Paulinus Nsirim has described Governor Nyesom Wike as the new face of democracy in Nigeria
Nsirim has also dedicated the Outstanding Commissioner of the Year Award conferred on him by the Garden City Advancement Award (GACA) 2021, to God Almighty and the state governor.
Speaking shortly after receiving the award on Sunday night in PortHarcourt, Nsirim said the award was made possible by the governor who had achieved so much developmental strides through his visionary leadership.
He thanked Governor Wike for the opportunity given to him to serve the state. Read more
Chris Pratt kicks off Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 filming after Instagram backlash (Metro)
Chris Pratt is back to work filming Guardians of the Galaxy, after revealing he felt ‘depressed’ following backlash for a social media post dedicated to his wife.
The actor, 42, could be seen in a polaroid picture, shared to Instagram by director James Gunn to mark the first day of filming.
Surrounded by his co stars, Chris posed for the camera with his arms folded and a serious expression on his face.
He stood back-to-back with Zoe Saldana, with stars including Karen Gillan and Dave Bautista kneeling on the ground. Read more
‘I’m so happy’: Emotional reunion for thousands as US border finally reopens after Covid (Independent)
Emotional reunions were held at airports across the United States on Monday as packed transatlantic flights touched down following the lifting of an 18-month Covid-19 travel ban on much of the world.
Jez Cartwright, 49, was one of the first passengers off BA001, the first British Airways flight of the day to land at New York JFK airport from London Heathrow.
“It’s brilliant to be on a full plane again,” he said.
After 730 days of separation, Jill Chambers was finally able to hug her sister and nephews who were waiting in the arrivals area. Read more
California couple sue clinic for alleged IVF swap ‘horror’ (BBC)
A California couple gave birth to a stranger’s child after being given the wrong embryo by a fertility clinic during in vitro fertilisation (IVF), says a lawsuit.
Daphna and Alexander Cardinale say they gave birth in September 2019 to a girl that looked nothing like them.
After a DNA test, they found the couple that carried their daughter to term, and together decided to swap the girls.
This is not the first alleged mix-up during an IVF procedure. Read more
‘Running scared’: Tories join attack on ‘cowardly’ Boris Johnson as he dodges sleaze debate (Independent)
Boris Johnson has been accused of “running scared” after he dodged scrutiny in parliament of his botched attempt to save a Tory MP from punishment for sleaze.
Conservative MPs joined attacks on the prime minister after he dodged a three-hour emergency debate in the House of Commons prompted by his failed bid to rewrite parliament’s standards rules.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said that after “giving the green light to corruption” by trying to get his ally Owen Paterson off the hook last week, the prime minster had chosen to “cower away” rather than face the music and apologise.
And Conservative former chief whip Mark Harper told MPs: “If the team captain gets it wrong, then I think he should come and apologise to the public and to this house, that’s the right thing to do in terms of demonstrating leadership.” Read more
Police chief met with rapper before stampede that killed 8 at Houston concert (Metro)
Houston’s police chief said on Monday he met briefly with hip-hop star Travis Scott to voice his “public safety concerns” before the rapper took the stage for a weekend performance that ended with eight people killed and dozens more injured in a stampede.
Chief Troy Finner publicly disclosed conveying words of caution to Scott in person as legal action mounted on behalf of concertgoers crushed in Friday’s deadly crowd surge, while police pursued a criminal probe of the tragedy.
Scott, the hometown recording star who was performing on stage as headliner of his Astroworld festival when the incident occurred, canceled an appearance scheduled for this weekend at a similar outdoor event in Las Vegas, a source close to Scott said.
Scott said on Monday he would cover all funeral costs and offer aid to those affected. He is also working with law enforcement and city officials to “respectfully and appropriately connect” with victims and their families, according to a statement. Read more
Jill Biden visits Va. Elementary School to tout pediatric COVID-19 vaccines: ‘I’m a mom, too’ (People)
Nearly 70 years after it became the the first school to administer the polio vaccine, Franklin Sherman Elementary School in McLean, Virginia, played host to First Lady Dr. Jill Biden and Surgeon General Vivek Murthy as they kicked off the administration’s push to encourage pediatric COVID-19 vaccinations.
Biden, 70, and Murthy, 44, visited the school one week after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced its recommendation of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children ages 5 through 11.
After touring the school, Biden and Murthy gave remarks in the auditorium, where they were introduced by sixth-grader Everett Munson, who was vaccinated Monday morning and suggested that the newly-vaccinated treat themselves to an ice cream after getting their shot.
Speaking to a group of students and their families, Biden said she was “here to talk to parents.” Read more
Rolls-Royce secures £450m for mini nuclear reactors venture (Guardian)
Rolls-Royce will move ahead with a multibillion pound plan to roll out a new breed of mini nuclear reactors after securing more than £450m from the government and investors.
The engineering firm will set up a venture focused on developing small modular nuclear reactors, or SMRs, in partnership with investors BNF Resources and the US generator Exelon Generation with a joint investment of £195m to fund the plans over the next three years.
The government will match the consortium’s investment, which is set to receive a second phase top-up of £50m from Rolls-Royce, with £210m to help roll out the mini nuclear reactors as part of the government’s green 10 point plan to kickstart the green economy over the next decade.
Ministers hope that the new generation of SMRs will quicker and cheaper to roll out than traditional large-scale nuclear reactors – such as the 3,200 megawatt Hinkley Point C project – which face enormous construction risks, and are prone to spiralling costs and delays. Read more
Hardrockers win Kimto Memorial Basketball Championship (DailyTrust)
Hardrockers Basketball Club have won the maiden edition of the Felix Kimto Memorial Basketball Championship.
Hardrockers defeated the Defenders Basketball club 63-54 to win the keenly contested final at the Old Parade Ground in Abuja on Sunday.
In the third-place game also played on Sunday, Nile Spartans defeated Apo Settlers 75-66 to come third after three days of action.
A total of 12 teams participated in the championship to honour the late Felix Kimto who was murdered on November 4, 2020, in front of the MKO Abiola Stadium, Abuja.
The championship was organised by the Grinders Basketball Foundation, the team he was playing for before his demise. Read more
Okoye joins Watford on 5-year deal (Punch)
Super Eagles goalkeeper Maduka Okoye, has signed a five-and-a-half year deal with Premier League club Watford, The PUNCH reports.
The deal according to the Hornets will begin on January 1, 2022.
The Nigeria international joins the Hornets for an undisclosed fee from Eredivisie outfit Sparta Rotterdam, to where he will return on loan until the end of the 2021/22 campaign.
He becomes the fourth Nigerian at the club after William Troost-Ekong, Oghenekaro Etebo and Emmanuel Dennis. Read more
Injured Pogba out of France’s World Cup qualifiers (Metro)
Midfielder Paul Pogba has been ruled out of France’s World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Finland after suffering a right thigh injury, the French federation (FFF) said on Monday.
The Manchester United player was seen leaving Monday’s training session with team doctor Franck Le Gall.
“Paul Pogba is forced to withdraw from France’s next two games at the Parc des Princes against Kazakhstan and against Finland in Helsinki,” the statement read.
He is being replaced in the squad by AS Roma’s Jordan Veretout. Read more
Antonio Conte already loses cool with Tottenham squad after ‘screaming’ at poor pass (Mirror)
It has not taken long for Antonio Conte to lose his cool with his new side after screaming at his players during Tottenham’s draw against Everton.
Spurs hired the feisty Italian last week after sacking Nuno Espirito Santo four months after appointing him to succeed Jose Mourinho.
And one of the first orders for the ex-Chelsea boss was to get Tottenham firing back in front of goal.
But they failed to do so against Everton on Sunday at Goodison Park after a 0-0 draw that left both sets of fans less than pleased. Read more
Tennis-Wheelchair champion Alcott to retire after Australian Open (Metro)
Wheelchair tennis world number one Dylan Alcott will bid for a record-extending eighth successive Australian Open title at his home Grand Slam before bowing out of the sport, he said on Tuesday.
The 30-year-old Melbourne man will look to go out on a high after having completed the “Golden Slam” in 2021, winning all four of the quad singles titles at the Grand Slams and a second successive Paralympics gold at Tokyo.
“This is my home and the Australian Open changed my life, tennis changed my life,” Alcott told reporters at Melbourne Park.
“Without tennis I wouldn’t be here sitting and talking with you today, potentially sitting here at all. Read more
Patrice Evra’s current view on Luis Suarez after racism clash ten years ago (DailyStar)
Former Manchester United star Patrice Evra has revealed he wanted to physically attack ex-Liverpool star Luis Suarez in revenge for being racially abused.
The Frenchman spoke about how he managed to restrain himself from attacking the forward during the infamous game in which Suarez reportedly called him the Spanish N-word, while he was close to doing the same when the striker snubbed his handshake.
Telling how his rage over the saga nearly came to a physical assault in Manchester, Evra said: “One day I was walking in Manchester in Deansgate and my brother said “oh it’s Luis Suarez over there”. I was with two of my brothers.
“I looked at him and I was like “That’s it, this is the moment”. Read more
Newcastle United appoint Eddie Howe as manager (Metro)
Newcastle United have confirmed the appointment of Eddie Howe as their new manager.
Howe has been out of work since he left Bournemouth last year following their relegation from the Premier League.
Newcastle, who sacked Steve Bruce last month, are currently 19th in the Premier League and are the only team in the division to not register a win in their opening 11 Premier League games.
Following the £305 million Saudi-led takeover, Newcastle are set to invest heavily in the upcoming transfer window. Read more