“Leah Sharibu gives birth to second baby in Boko Haram captivity” (Guardian)
Three years and five weeks since her abduction in Dapchi, Yobe State, a United States-based group, US-Nigeria Law Group, has lamented the plight of the abandoned Dapchi “heroine Christian” schoolgirl, Leah Sharibu, with reports she has given birth to a second child in captivity.
It would be recalled that Leah, still held in captivity, was forced to accept Islam before being married off to a top Boko Haram commander after she refused to renounce her Christian faith.
Leah was among 110 girls, aged between 11 and 19 years, who were abducted by the terrorists from Government Girls’ Science and Technical College, Dapchi, on February 19, 2018.
Convener of the US-Nigeria Law Group, Emmanuel Ogebe, said in a statement that “despite an offer by an American pastor last month to surrender himself in exchange for Leah’s freedom, there has been no tangible response from her captors. Read more
APC gives Ambode a fresh appointment (DailyTrust)
Years after going out of the spotlight over the loss of his reelection bid, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has appointed former Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State into its Contact/Strategy Committee.
John James Akpanudoehede, National Secretary of the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC), announced this in a statement on Monday.
He said Mai Mala Buni, chairman of the CECPC, has approved the constitution of the high-powered 61-member under the chairmanship of Mohammed Abubakar, governor of Jigawa State. Read more
2,792 suspects arrested for various offences in Lagos (Vanguard)
Two thousand seven hundred and ninety-two suspects have been arrested by the Police in Lagos, for various offences ranging from murder, robbery, rape and cultism between January and mid-march, 2021.
Cultism recorded the highest arrest, with 343 suspected members of different confraternities, while armed robbery ranked second with the arrest of 234 suspects.
Ninety-one cases of murder and an additional 91 for rape/defilement were recorded during the period under review. Also, 127 gender-based cases were recorded. Read more
Forex trader remanded for defrauding investors of N17.4m, $6,300 (Punch)
A self-acclaimed foreign exchange trader, Nanpan Yaniyang, has been remanded by the Lagos State High Court for allegedly defrauding investors of N17,449,000 and $6,300.
It was gathered that Yaniyang collected the said sums from one Valerie Okoli and other investors on the pretext of helping them to incorporate a company and invest the money in forex.
Yaniyang was arraigned on four counts bordering on stealing and obtaining by false pretences before Justice O. O. Abike-Fadipe.
He pleaded not guilty to the charges. Read more
We’ll kill all non-state-actors in the forests, says CDS (DailyTrust)
The Chief of Defence Staff, Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, says the military has concluded arrangements to neutralise non-state-actors and other agents of violence in the country.
While speaking at a one-day National Defence and Security Summit in Abuja, on Monday, he said illegal occupants of communities, forests and countryside will be targeted so as to stabilise the country.
He said the military will ensure that the peace which eluded the country returns as soon as possible.
According to him, it is no longer news that the nation experiences a wide range of national security threats including terrorism, insurgency, farmers/herders conflict, ethno-religious conflicts, kidnapping and banditry. Read more
Nigerian scientists’ two COVID-19 vaccines undergoing trial – PTF (Punch)
The federal government on Monday said Nigerian scientists have produced two local COVID-19 vaccines and were awaiting clinical trials and certification.
The government also raised the alarm over reported racketeering of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines in some vaccination centres.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman Presidential Task Force on COVID – 19, Boss Mustapha and Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said these during the press briefing Presidential Task Force on COVID – 19 in Abuja.
The SGF said, “The disclosure that Nigerian Scientists have produced at least two local COVID – 19 vaccines which are awaiting clinical trials and certification is significant. I call on all relevant agencies to provide the required support and an enabling environment for smooth conduct of the remaining protocols for the certification of these vaccines with a view to encouraging and motivating other researchers.” Read more
NNPC pushes back, says new refinery will cost FG about $12b (ThisDay)
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) yesterday vigorously defended the approval of a whopping $1.5 billion for the rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt refinery, maintaining that apart from following due process, building a new refinery in the class of the one in Rivers will cost the federal government between $7 billion and $12 billion.
Group Managing Director of the corporation, Mallam Mele Kyari, who spoke in Abuja, stated that the decision to revamp the old facility was further taken because constructing a new refinery will take a period of four years, during which Nigeria must continue to import products.
The NNPC helmsman argued that there was no basis for comparison between the Port Harcourt refinery and the one sold by Shell in America for $1.2 billion in terms of capacity, describing the public comments emanating thereof as curious. Read more
3 charged with murder, conspiracy in Ekiti election violence, remanded (Punch)
An Ado Ekiti Chief Magistrate’s Court on Monday remanded three suspects in custody for alleged involvement in the killing of residents during the Ekiti East Constituency 1 bye-election.
The defendants – Adeniji Olusola (38) popularly called Solar; Paul Folorunso (45); and a 40-year-old woman, Adebayo Serifat, were charged with conspiracy and murder.
They were said to have allegedly committed the offences at Omuo Ekiti on Saturday, March 20.
ASP Martins Akala represented the police, while the Director of Public Prosecution, Julius Ajibare, appeared for the state. Read more
Stock market rebounds as investors gain N178b (Vanguard)
The stock market rebounds as it opened the week (Monday) on a positive note with investors gaining over N178 billion from their investment.
Specifically, the Nigerian Stock Exchange, NSE market capitalisation which represents investors worth on the Exchange closed at N20.259 trillion from N20.081 trillion it closed on Friday.
Similarly, another major stock market gauge, the NSE All Share Index, ASI rose 89 bases points, bps or 1.37 per cent to close at 38,722.87 points from 38,382.39 points.
These upsurge in Index were attributed to the gains across all major sectors, except for Banking by one bases points. Read more
1,000 terrorists prosecuted, 500 jailed, says military (ThisDay)
The military yesterday put the number of Boko Haram terrorists who have been prosecuted at 1,000 while 500 have been jailed.
In addition, more members of the terror group are to go on trial in June.
The decision to put the insurgents on trial came as the federal government affirmed its determination to secure the country against threats to its corporate existence.
It also expressed the readiness of the military to execute the presidential directive to the armed forces and other security agencies to end all threats to national territorial integrity, including banditry, terrorism and kidnapping. Read more
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry admit secret wedding never actually happened (PageSix)
Another misstep for Meghan.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have confessed that the secret wedding the Duchess of Sussex described in her bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey did not happen, The Daily Beast reported on Monday.
A spokesperson for the royals told the publication that “the couple exchanged personal vows a few days before their official/legal wedding on May 19.”
Since such a service does not constitute a formal wedding, the royal pair’s secret union was not legitimate, as Markle had told Oprah in the March 7 interview, the website said. Read more
Gunmen on motorbikes raid Niger villages, kill at least 137 (AlJazeera)
Attackers on motorbikes have raided several villages in southwestern Niger, killing at least 137 people in the bloodiest violence to hit the country in years, the government said.
The gunmen on Sunday attacked the villages of Intazayene, Bakorat and Wistane, located near the border with Mali, shooting “at everything which moved”, according to a local official.
On Monday, the government said the attacks had left 137 people dead. Local officials have previously given a death toll of at least 60.
“In treating civilian populations systematically as targets now, these armed bandits have gone a step further into horror and brutality,” government spokesman Zakaria Abdourahamane said in a statement read on public television. Read more
10 killed in Boulder store shooting, incl. police officer, suspect in custody (RT)
Ten people were killed in a shooting spree at a grocery store in Boulder, Colorado, including one police officer, local law enforcement confirmed. A suspected gunman has been arrested.
“Our hearts go out to all families impacted. There are 10 fatalities,” Boulder Police Chief Maris Herold told a press conference on Monday evening, several hours after a gunman went on a shooting rampage at a King Soopers supermarket in the Table Mesa neighborhood.
Among the victims was officer Eric Talley, who was first to respond to the reports of a gunman with “a patrol rifle” at the store, Herold said, calling the officer’s conduct “heroic.”
Boulder County District Attorney Michael Dougherty also praised the officer. “My heart goes out to Eric Talley’s family,” he said, while extending condolences to the families of those killed. Read more
Saudi Arabia proposes ceasefire plan to Yemen’s Houthi rebels (AlJazeera)
Saudi Arabia has announced a plan to offer its rivals in Yemen’s long-running war a nationwide ceasefire under the auspices of the United Nations, the kingdom’s foreign minister said.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, the kingdom’s foreign minister, Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, said the ceasefire proposed to the Houthi rebels is envisioned “for the entire conflict”, including allowing for the main airport in Yemen’s rebel-held capital, Sanaa, to reopen.
It would take effect “as soon as the Houthis agree to it”, he said in Saudi Arabia’s capital, Riyadh.
“It is up to the Houthis now,” Prince Faisal added, stressing his country would continue to “protect” its borders, citizens and infrastructure and face the Houthi “aggression with the necessary response”. Read more
Leaked graphic imagery shows staffers performing lewd acts in Australian parliament (RT)
The sex scandal rocking Australia’s government has worsened, after a parliament insider leaked to the media graphic imagery of staffers performing sex acts in the building, which they apparently filmed and shared among themselves.
The explosive expose was made by a whistleblower, going by the alias ‘Tom’, to Australia’s 10 News on Sunday. The man provided the channel with what he claims are multiple photos and videos of male senior government staff engaging in sex acts at their workplace.
“Now is the time to speak up, now is the time to put it on the record. It is a culture of men thinking that they can do whatever they want,” Tom told the channel, calling for “the removal of this toxic, powerful, privileged boys club that does what it wants, when it wants, where it wants.” Read more
Keanu Reeves to star in Netflix film based on his comic book BRZRKR (Metro)
Good news for fans of Keanu Reeves, comic books and anime as the actor’s BRZKRK is being developed by Netflix. The Matrix star’s comic is not only getting a live-action film on the streaming platform, but there will also be a follow-up anime series as well. If that wasn’t exciting enough, Keanu is going to star in both versions – voicing the anime and playing the lead role in the live-action flick. Read more
Western sanctions on China over Xinjiang trigger furious response (AlJazeera)
The United States, Canada and the United Kingdom joined the European Union on Monday to take what they described as “coordinated action” against China to send “a clear message about the human rights violations and abuses in Xinjiang”, prompting immediate retaliation from Beijing.
The sanctions blacklisted former and current officials in the Xinjiang region – Zhu Hailun, Wang Junzheng, Wang Mingshan and Chen Mingguo – for alleged abuses, which have sparked international outrage.
The coordinated move also targeted the state-run Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
Washington, which had sanctioned two of those officials in July 2020, added the other two to the list on Monday. Read more
689 athletes, 236 officials to represent Edo at NSF (Punch)
Hosts Edo will register 689 athletes and 236 officials for the 20th National Sports Festival, which holds in Benin City, the state capital, from April 2 to 14, The PUNCH reports.
Addressing journalists at the Government House on Monday, Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, who doubles as the Chairman, Local Organising Committee of the festival, said the reduction of athletes and officials, as well as the scrapping of the opening and closing ceremonies would not deprive the event of its glamour.
He assured that the state would organise a befitting festival with world-class facilities, including the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, which boasts the latest track, same type that would be used at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
The Deputy Governor also urged the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports to release funds meant for the event in good time to help finalise it’s preparations for the event. Read more
Rangers send Nasarawa Utd tumbling as Enyimba dim Sunshine Stars (DailyTrust)
Nasarawa United have dropped from first to sixth position on the 2021 Nigeria Professional Football League table following their 0-2 loss against Enugu Rangers in the Week 17 fixture decided yesterday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International stadium in Enugu.
While their opponents dropped on the log, Rangers who suffered a setback in their title ambition in Week 16 when they were beaten 2-1 by Katsina United have moved to second place on the table.
Two quick-fire goals in the first half condemned Nasarawa United to their sixth loss of the season.
Former Akwa United man, Godswpower Aniefiok gave Rangers the lead in the 2nd minute before Chinonso Eziekwe added the second six minutes after to ensure the ‘Flying Antelopes’ took the maximum points at the ‘Cathedral’. Read more
Mike Tyson ‘turns down $25m offer to fight Evander Holyfield’ (RT)
Boxing fans hoping to see veteran legends Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield run it back more than two decades after the pair last fought appear to have had their wishes dashed after Tyson reportedly rejected a deal for the bout.
Speculation had been mounting that Tyson, 54, and fellow former world heavyweight champion Holyfield, 58, could return to the ring this summer to finish what they started with a pair of fights in the 1990s.
Representatives for the pair are said to have been in talks since Tyson made his comeback for an exhibition contest with Roy Jones Jr last November, which was deemed a commercial success by organizers. Read more
California high school football player dies after collapsing during game (NYPost)
Emmanuel Antwi, a senior at Kennedy High, collapsed during the game against Hiram Johnson and was taken to the hospital, where he later died.
Emmanuel Antwi, a senior at Kennedy High, collapsed during the game against Hiram Johnson and was taken to the hospital, where he later died. GoFundMe
A California high school football player has died after he collapsed during a game, officials said.
Emmanuel “Manny” Antwi, 18, a senior lineman at Kennedy High School, fell to the ground on the sidelines during the fourth quarter of the team’s season opener Friday night in Greenhaven, the Sacramento Bee reported.
He received medical attention, including CPR, before he was brought to the hospital, where he later died, the outlet reported.
No cause of death has been released.
The Sacramento City Unified School District confirmed in a letter to parents Saturday that he died following a “medical emergency.” Read more
Manchester United and Chelsea target Erling Haaland responds to transfer speculation (Metro)
Erling Haaland is ‘not worried’ by speculation linking him to a mega-money move this summer amid interest from Europe’s biggest clubs. Haaland’s future is set to be one of the centrepieces of the summer transfer window, with Borussia Dortmund facing a struggle to keep hold of him. Manchester United, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Manchester City have all been linked with the Norway international. It’s easy to see why. Haaland has banged in 49 goals in 49 appearances for Dortmund since arriving from Red Bull Salzburg in January 2020 and has become one of the most feared strikers on the planet. Read more
Justin Wilson exits Yankees game with concerning injury (NYPost)
The Yankees have another injury with another high-leverage, lefty reliever.
Justin Wilson exited Monday’s game with tightness in his left shoulder, the team said, and is set to undergo an MRI exam on Tuesday morning to determine a diagnosis and the severity of the injury.
“The way he described it, [he] was just having a hard time getting loose out there,” manager Aaron Boone said after a 4-0 loss to the Phillies at George M. Steinbrenner Field. “We’ll see what we have in the morning. … I think there’s a chance it might not be that big a deal.” Read more
Barcelona deny deal to sign Georginio Wijnaldum from Liverpool has been agreed (Metro)Barcelona have poured doubt on reports that Georginio Wijnaldum has agreed a move to the club, denying that a pre-contract agreement has eben reached. The Liverpool midfielder is out of contract at Anfield at the end of the season and has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona, with manager Ronald Koeman a big fan of his fellow Dutchman. With his current contract expiring in June and with no agreement over a new contract an exit is looking more and more likely and reports emerged over the weekend that an agreement has already been reached with Barcelona. Read more