A pensioner blew up his own kitchen while trying to kill a fly with an electric bug zapper.
The man, 80, was trying to reach the buzzing insect, but he hadn’t planned for the fact that gas was leaking into the property.
He waved the bug zapper – which looked like a tennis racket and is designed to burn flies the moment there is contact – but instead of swatting the fly, the hot instrument ignited the gas.
The kitchen and part of the roof was destroyed, but the man escaped serious injury by diving on the floor. He was treated in hospital in Libourne following the disaster, which took place in the French village of Parcoul-Chenaud, north east of Bordeaux, at around 7.45 pm on Friday. (Metro)