Man held for ‘assault’ on Ikeja Electric’s employee (Nation)
A man identified as Saheed Olanrewaju aka Usama, has been arrested by the police in Lagos over alleged assault on an Ikeja Electric worker, Popoola Olakunle.
Olanrewaju, a resident of 12, Abiodun Street, Iju-Ishaga in Fagba, was alleged to have stabbed the disco official on the head last week while the later was on lawful duty.
It was gathered that the suspect fled after the incident but was subsequently apprehended with the help of the traditional ruler and policeman from the Oko-Oba Division.
The suspect, it was gathered, was arrested on Tuesday and would be arraigned before an Ogba Ogba Magistrate’s Court on Friday. Read more
Why we met with Sarkin Fulani of Lagos- US Mission (Tribune)
The United States (US) Mission in Nigeria has explained why it met with the Sarkin Fulani of Lagos and chairman of Association of Fulani Chiefs in South-West Nigeria, Alhaji Mohammed Bambado.
The mission gave the explanation on its official Facebook page, saying the meeting was held at the Consul-General’s official residence in Lagos and not at the Sarkin Fulani’s palace as portrayed by some online media platforms.
A source said the meeting was at the instance of the diplomatic mission which invited the Sarkin Fulani to the consul-general’s residence.
He said details of the meeting and photographs of the visit are on the official Facebook page, US Mission Nigeria, and materials were posted on March 5 at 3.30 pm. Read more
Man in court for alleged visa fraud (Vanguard)
A 38-year-old man, Okorafor Kehinde, who allegedly collected N600,000 to secure a UAE visa for a businessman, on Thursday appeared in a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ado-Ekiti.
The police charged Kehinde, whose address was not given with fraud.
The prosecution Counsel, Insp Oriyomi Akinwale, told the court that the defendant committed the offence in November 2020 at Ajilosun Area in Ado-Ekiti.
Akinwale alleged that the defendant fraudulently collected N600, 000 from Mr Emmanuel Oluwafemi, with a promise to process a UAE visa but he did not.
He said that the offence contravened the provisions of Section 419 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012. Read more
DMO lists N162.55b Sukuk on NSE, FMDQ to fund 44 roads (ThisDay)
The Debt Management Office (DMO) has listed its third Sovereign Sukuk on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and FMDQ Securities Exchange.
The N162.557 billion, seven-year Al Ijarah Sovereign Sukuk, which is due in 2027 at 11.200 per cent per annum coupon ( annual interest rate) was massively subscribed at the time of issuance on Thursday, the DMO disclosed.
In a statement, the agency said: “The Sukuk which at the time of issuance was massively subscribed to the tune of N669.124 billion or 446%, was issued to finance 44 economic road projects across the six (6)-geopolitical zones.
“With the listing, investors who are already holding the Sukuk can trade them while new investors have an opportunity to buy the SUKUK in the secondary market.” Read more
Biafra: Uwazuruike, MASSOB back Asari-Dokubo (Nation)
Founder of the Movement for the Actualization of Sovereign State of Biafra and Biafra Independent Movement (BIM-MASSOB), Chief Ralph Uwazuruike, has hailed Alhaji Mujahid Asari-Dokubo on his emergence as the leader of the new Biafra De Facto Customary Government.
Asari-Dokubo, a former militant in the Niger Delta region, had a few days ago, announced himself as the leader of the new Biafra de facto Customary Government, citing “injustice and marginalisation” on the Igbo people found in various zones of the country as the reason for his aspiring for a “better life for his people.”
In a statement issued on his behalf by his media assistant, Chris Mocha, Uwazuruike described Asari-Dokubo’s emergence as a clear manifestation of “our monthly concerted efforts at reconciling different pro-Biafran groups towards achieving greater harmony against our common enemy”. Read more
Attorney General takes over ex-Imo gov Ohakim’s case on alleged threat to release woman’s nude photo (Tribune)
The office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) on Thursday told a Federal High Court in Abuja that it has taken over the prosecution of a former governor of Imo State, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, accused of threatening and harassing one Mrs Chinyere Amuchienwa.
The court had earlier slated Thursday for the former governor to be arraigned, but when the matter was called, a counsel from the office of the AGF, Bagudu Sani, told the court that the office of the AGF had taken over the case by a letter dated March 17, 2021, which he said had been served on the Inspector General of Police.
Counsel to the police, R. F Dimka, opposed the taking over of the case by the office of AGF on the ground that the charges preferred against the former governor were prepared by the office of the IGP, whom she said is the complainant in the case. Read more
Atiku decries FEC’s $1.5b approval of Port Harcourt refinery’s rehabilitation (ThisDay)
A former vice-president and the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the last general election, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has condemned the decision of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) to rehabilitate the Port Harcourt refinery with $1.5 billion.
Atiku lamented that Nigeria is sinking deeper into debt from N12 trillion to N32.9 trillion today.
FEC had approved $1.5 billion (about N600 billion) for the rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt refinery at its virtual meeting held Wednesday and presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Atiku, in a statement, he personally signed, said the approval was suspicious, adding that: “That Nigeria’s economy is in dire straits is a fact well known both to the nation and to our international partners. Unemployment has just reached an all-time high of 33%, while inflation has hit another record high of 17%.” Read more
Nigeria ranks 16th in FBI’s global worst affected by internet crimes (Guardian)
The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has ranked Nigeria 16th among the countries most affected by internet crime in the world in 2020.
FBI in its 2020 Internet Crime Report (IC3) said Nigeria received 443 complaints relating to internet crime within the year. The crime report stated that the FBI in 2000 has received a total of 5,679,259 complaints and an average of 440,000 complaints per year.
The IC3 since its establishment in 2000 has received a total of 5,679,259 complaints and an average of 440, 000 complaints per year. It has recorded a total of 2,211,396 in the last 5years.
Excluding the United States, at the top of the list of the most affected country, is the United Kingdom followed by Canada, India, Greece and Australia. Read more
Tanzania’s Samia Hassan to make history as first female president (Vanguard)
Samia Suluhu Hassan is a soft-spoken, Muslim woman thrust from the obscure role of vice president to become Tanzania’s first female leader after John Magufuli’s sudden death.
Under the constitution Hassan, the country’s 61-year-old vice president, will serve the remainder of Magufuli’s second five-year term, which does not expire until 2025.
A former office clerk and development worker, Hassan began her political career in 2000 in her native Zanzibar, a semi-autonomous archipelago, before being elected to the national assembly on mainland Tanzania and assigned a senior ministry.
A ruling party stalwart, she rose through the ranks until being picked by Magufuli as his running mate in his first presidential election campaign in 2015.
The Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) comfortably won and Hassan made history when sworn-in as the country’s first-ever female vice president. Read more
Atlanta shootings: Suspect charged with murder as victims identified (BBC)
A man has been charged with murder over the killing of eight people at massage parlours in Atlanta, Georgia.
Officials cannot yet confirm if the attack, in which six Asian women were killed, was racially motivated. Four victims were named on Wednesday.
The suspect, named as Robert Aaron Long, faces multiple counts of murder as well as aggravated assault.
Cherokee County Sheriff Frank Reynolds said the suspect may have been a patron and claimed to have a “sex addiction”. Read more
Demi Lovato receives injections to prevent from getting high, relapsing (PageSix)
Demi Lovato “is getting ahead of the curve” of her drug addiction by receiving injections to prevent a relapse.
The “Sober” singer says she receives monthly shots of Vivitrol, a medication that stops the effects of opioids.
The treatment, which blocks opiate receptors in patients’ brains, can only be taken on a temporary basis — but Lovato thinks it will give her good start on long-term sobriety.
“At least for a few years it can’t hurt me,” she says in her new YouTube docuseries, “Dancing With the Devil.” Read more
AstraZeneca: UK clot review confirms safety of vaccine (BBC)
There is no evidence the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine causes blood clots, the UK’s medicines regulator says after a “thorough and careful review”.
The MHRA says people can have confidence in the vaccine’s benefits and should get immunised when invited, despite some countries suspending use.
But anyone with a headache lasting more than four days after vaccination should seek medical advice, as a precaution.
The same advice applies if someone develops unusual bruising, it says. Read more
Russia demands Biden apologize for calling Putin a ‘killer’ in ABC interview (NYPost)
Moscow on Thursday demanded President Biden apologise for calling Russian leader Vladimir Putin a “killer” — and said the comments are further harming an already frosty relationship between the two countries.
The demand came a day after the Kremlin recalled its ambassador to Washington, DC, for consultations after Biden made the remark in an interview that aired Wednesday morning.
Asked by ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos whether he thought Putin is a “killer,” Biden said, “I do.”
Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s spokesman, said it was a ““very bad statement by the U.S. president” that indicated “he doesn’t want to normalize relations.” Read more
Belarus opposition leader holds vote on Lukashenko talks (DW)
Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya says the OSCE and UN are ready to facilitate negotiations between the opposition and the Belarus government.
Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya launched an online vote to drum up support for her call for talks with the Belarus government.
All videos, audios and galleries
The exiled opposition leader said the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and the United Nations were “ready to organize a platform and act as mediators, as well as to force the regime to negotiate.”
“Each of you knows that our country is in crisis. We can resolve it peacefully — by means of internationally mediated negotiations,” the opposition leader said on Twitter. Read more
Giannis Antetokounmpo helps Milwaukee Bucks beat Philadelphia 76ers (BBC)
Antetokounmpo has been named the NBA’s most valuable player twice
Giannis Antetokounmpo scored 10 points in overtime as the Milwaukee Bucks came back from a 19-point deficit to beat the Philadelphia 76ers 109-105.
He registered 32 points, 15 rebounds and five assists as the Bucks won a fifth game in a row against the 76ers, who had key player Joel Embiid missing.
“We played great defence, trusted one another, didn’t put our head down, kept our composure,” said Antetokounmpo.
“We believed in ourselves, and that’s why we were able to come back.” Read more
Kano Pillars coach resigns over breach of contract (DailyTrust)
Soccoia Lionel, Kano Pillars coach, has tendered his resignation over a breach of contract.
In a letter he sent to the management of the club, Lionel accused the club of selecting some players without his consent.
He said the refusal of Kano Pillars to fulfil their obligation by processing his work visa put him in harm’s way with the immigration laws of Nigeria.
He expressed hope that his former employees will pay him $25,000.00 owed, plus the tickets for coming to Nigeria and going back to France.
“I am hereby informing you that I have resigned as technical director of Kano Pillars with immediate effect,” read part of the letter. Read more
Champions League: Flick and Salihamidzic bury differences as Bayern oust Lazio (DW)
Bayern Munich did enough to beat Lazio, easing into the quarterfinals of the Champions League. Coach Hansi Flick insisted that he and Bayern’s sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic have put their differences aside.
It would be fair to say that there have been simmering tensions between Hansi Flick, Bayern Munich’s coach, and Hasan Salihamidzic, the club’s sporting director.
The build-up to Lazio’s visit to Munich on Wednesday night saw Flick having to defend his position as chief decision-maker, specifically around the number of minutes being given to Alexander Nübel, the goalkeeper signed from Schalke last year as Manuel Neuer’s understudy. Read more
NPFL: Rivers boss Eguma savours ‘difficult’ 2-0 win over MFM (Vanguard)
After a resolute defending in the first 45 minutes, Mountain of Fire and Miracles Football Club (MFM FC) caved in to concede twice in the second half against points thirsty Rivers United.
The two goals came from Fortune Omoniwari and Nelson Esor for what was a deserved win for the hosts at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt.
But in victory, Stanley Eguma the Rivers United’s head coach praised the spirit of the MFM team and told www.npfl.ng that it was such a difficult match that required his side digging deep to break the opponents’ obstinacy.
“It’s not an easy game, the MFM team gave us a very good fight, we never underrated them. We knew that they were coming here to give us a fight because their own position is not also good on the log. Read more
Dembele, Ndombele back in France squad for World Cup qualifiers (France24)
Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tanguy Ndombele were recalled to the France squad on Thursday as the World Cup holders begin their campaign to qualify for next year’s tournament in Qatar with a triple-header of matches this month.
Dembele, 23, was part of the France squad that won the World Cup in Russia in 2018 but has not played for Les Bleus since December of that year. He is rewarded for his recent form with Barcelona and a rare, lengthy run free from injury.
Ndombele won the last of his six caps in June 2019, shortly before joining Tottenham from Lyon. Read more
Salah and Trezeguet named in Egypt squad (BBC)
Premier League players Mohamed Salah of Liverpool, Trezeguet of Aston Villa and Mohamed Elneny of Arsenal all feature in the 28-man squad for the Pharaohs’ final qualifying matches for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Egypt are currently top of Group G with eight points, and only need a draw in Kenya or a win at home against Comoros to guarantee their place in Cameroon next year.
There are also recalls in the squad for Mostafa Fathi – who last played international football in 2017 – and Mohamed Farouk, whose only cap so far was in 2014.In all 22 of the 28 players are based in Egypt’s domestic league. Read more