Mentally-ill woman wrongfully accused of baby theft, gun possession lynched in Lagos (Punch)
A yet-to-be-identified mentally-ill woman has been killed by hoodlums, who accused her of stealing a baby and being in possession of three AK-47 rifles in the Abule Ado area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the hoodlums lynched the woman and set her body ablaze before fleeing the scene on Monday.
The incident, which attracted public attention, was investigated by the state police command, which confirmed that the woman was killed unjustly as no baby or AK-47 rifles were found in her possession.
As of the time of filing this report, an order had been given for the arrest of those responsible for her death. Read more
LASG installs 18 new traditional rulers (Guardian)
The Lagos State Government says it has successfully installed 18 new traditional rulers in the last nine months.
Dr Wale Ahmed, the Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, made this known in Ikeja on Tuesday, at the 2021 Ministerial Press Briefing to commemorate the second year in office of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Ahmed said that of the 18 traditional rulers, five were first class, while 13 others were second class obas.
”Between June 2020 and March 2021, the ministry, through the Chieftaincy Department, has successfully installed 18 obas (traditional rulers). Read more
Lagos pays N270m to deceased LG, SUBEB staff families (Vanguard)
The Lagos State Government on Tuesday said it paid N270 million as insurance packages to families of deceased staff of local governments and State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).
The Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Dr Wale Ahmed, made this known in Ikeja, during the 2021 Ministerial Press Briefing in commemoration of the second year in office of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Ahmed said that the money was paid to families of 160 deceased staff of Local Government Areas (LGAs), Local Council Development Areas(LCDAs), and SUBEB.
”In the year under review, the ministry ensured the release of claims to 160 beneficiaries of deceased employees of SUBEB and LGAs/LCDAs, amounting to N269,697,458.75 by LASACO Assurance Plc,” he said. Read more
Lagos LG Polls: Aspirants to face direct primary as consensus option fails (DailyTrust)
Ahead of the July local government election in Lagos State, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) will conduct an open primary for aspirants in the 20 local governments (LGs) and 37 local council development areas (LCDAs), Daily Trust can report.
It was, however, learnt that there are some local governments where consensus option had been agreed upon.
Our correspondent gathered yesterday that the resort to the open primary followed the inability of aspirants to step down for one another amidst tension and disquiet among the LG chapters.
It would be recalled that 1050 aspirants comprising 250 chairmanship and 800 councillorship aspirants are vying for the 434 positions in the 57 LGs. Read more
Children of deceased patient beat, strip nurse naked in Abuja (Punch)
Children of a deceased patient at the National Hospital, Abuja, on Tuesday, beat up a nurse whom they accused of causing their father’s death.
An official of the hospital, who did not want to be identified, said the incident happened around 8am.
The source said, “I heard a voice inside the male ward and I went to see what was happening. I saw a nurse running out.
“While trying to ask what happened, I saw a man who plaited his hair pursuing her. The nurse’s clothes were torn and rumpled.
“I tried to restrain the man, but I saw his brother and sister coming out too. I couldn’t stop them, but my boss came and they were taken away.” Read more
Delta yet to receive £4.2m recovered loot, says official (ThisDay)
Despite the claim by the federal government that it has returned to the Delta State Government the money recovered from associates of a former Governor of the state, Chief James Ibori, the state government said yesterday that it was yet to receive the £4.2 million recently returned by the British government.
Earlier yesterday, the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF), Mr. Ahmed Idris, had said that the government had returned the £4.2 million to the state.
Idris spoke when he appeared in Abuja before the House of Representatives’ Ad-hoc Committee on Assessment and Status of All Recovered Loots Movable and Immovable Assets from 2002 to 2020 by Agencies of the Federal Government of Nigeria for Effective, Efficient Management and Utilisation.
When asked where the Ibori loot was paid into, Idris said it was paid to Delta State Government. Read more
Varsity students pounce on, strip man disguising as woman to see lover (Punch)
An unidentified man, who disguised and sneaked into a female hostel of the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, was caught and stripped by students on Monday.
It was gathered that the man had dressed like a female student and stealthily walked into the hostel in an attempt to see a female friend, who had been avoiding him.
According to a source, the man went there to plead with his female friend, who allegedly seized his mobile phone when she visited him outside the campus due to his inability to fulfil promises made to her.
“He disguised like a young female student to gain access to the hostel of his female friend, who had been avoiding him after she took his phone. But luck ran out on him when his movement aroused suspicion of some of the students, who felt that something was wrong with his dressing. They mobilised, held the man and stripped him,” the source stated. Read more
IPOB hires new firm to pursue cause in N300m deal (DailyTrust)
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has acquired the service of a new American lobbying firm to garner the support of the U.S. government for its secession bid.
A report by Premium Times said the one-year deal would cost Kanu and IPOB $750,000, which is over N300m at the current official exchange rate of N410 to $1.
You’re complicit in secession bid, Northern elders tell Southern govs
2 women killed during attack on Imo police station
The report said the deal was signed in February with Kanu’s signature for the service of BW Global Group (BWGG LLC), co-owned by Jeffrey Birrel and Alan White, registered in Washington D.C.
It added that the agreement took effect from March 1, 2021, months after an earlier deal with a U.S.-based lobbying firm, Mercury Public Affairs LLC, expired. Read more
CBN devalues naira to N410/dollar, adopts NAFEX rate (Leadership)
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has officially adopted the Nigeria Autonomous Foreign Exchange (NAFEX) rate, devaluing the naira to N410 to the dollar even as the value of the naira depreciated to N486 at the parallel market.
The CBN had earlier this month removed the N380 per dollar exchange rate from its website spurring rumors of a pending devaluation.
Yesterday, on its website, it put the NAFEX rate, which is also known as the Investors’ and Exporters Window (I&E) at N410.25.
On the FMDQ website, the NAFEX closing rate was N411.25 to the dollar, whilst at the parallel market, the value of the naira had depreciated to N486 from N484 to the dollar which it began the week with. Read more
This is the maximum age humans can physically reach, scientists say (NYPost)
Researchers believe they have identified the upper limit of human mortality: 150 years old.
This would top the current record for oldest human — Jeanne Calment, who passed away in 1997 at 122 years — but it sure does put a damper on efforts to live forever.
Using an iPhone app and a huge amount of medical data from volunteers in the UK and US, scientists think they’ve confirmed the maximum age people can anticipate ever living to, the researchers wrote in a study published Tuesday in the journal Nature Communications.
Artificial intelligence analyzed the health- and fitness-related information, and researchers determined that the human lifespan is most significantly based on two data points: biological age — associated with stress, lifestyle and chronic diseases — and resilience — how quickly the person returns to normal after responding to a stressor. Read more
Mali’s coup leader Assimi Goïta seizes power again (BBC)
Mali’s president and prime minister have been ousted by the officer who led last year’s coup and became vice-president of an interim government.
Col Assimi Goïta says President Bah Ndaw and PM Moctar Ouane failed in their duties and were seeking to sabotage the country’s transition.
They were arrested hours after a government reshuffle which saw two senior army officers replaced.
Col Goïta says elections will still go ahead next year as planned. Read more
“Last Night in Soho” teaser trailer celebrates 60s style and seediness (Metro)
The teaser trailer for Edgar Wright’s upcoming film Last Night in Soho has just dropped, and it looks edgy, vibrant and slightly creepy in all the right ways. Last Night in Soho is a psychological thriller about a young girl, passionate in fashion design, who is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer. However, 1960s London is not what it appears, and time seems to fall apart with shady consequences. Starring Anya Taylor-Joy (The Queen’s Gambit) and Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie (Jojo Rabbit) in an intriguing dual role, the trailer is heavy on atmosphere, featuring a haunting unaccompanied version of Petula Clark’s Downtown as sung by Taylor-Joy. Read more
Regeni murder: Italy orders four Egyptians to stand trial (BBC)
More than five years after an Italian student’s body was found in Cairo, a Rome judge says four senior Egyptian security officials should face trial over his kidnap, torture and murder.
Giulio Regeni, a Cambridge University postgraduate student, disappeared in January 2016.
His body was so badly disfigured his mother could barely identify him.
The four members of the Egyptian security forces are unlikely to travel to Rome for the 14 October trial. Read more
Defrocked Catholic priest killed 13-year-old altar boy in 1972: DA (NYPost)
A defrocked Roman Catholic priest implicated himself in the 1972 slaying of a Massachusetts altar boy before dying at a hospital last week — saying he gave the boy a “good shove” before he was discovered dead in a river, a prosecutor said.
Richard R. Lavigne, long considered the only suspect in the murder of 13-year-old Danny Croteau, told a Massachusetts State Police trooper during a series of recent interviews that he was the last person to see the Springfield boy alive — when he brought him to the bank of the Chicopee River.
In a press conference Monday, Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni played snippets of the interviews, where Lavigne admitted that he assaulted the boy on the riverbank on April 14, 1972.
The priest later returned and found Danny floating face-down in the water, but didn’t try to save him or notify his parents or cops, the prosecutor said. Read more
Dead children washed up on Libya beach, says charity (BBC)
Images of dead children and women washed up on a beach in Libya have been shared by a Spanish charity.
The NGO Proactiva Open Arms received some of the photos from inside Libya and said they are of people who had tried to cross the Mediterranean to Europe, a dangerous route for migrants.
They show the partially clothed bodies of small children and a woman, bloated and half buried in the sand.
At least 743 migrants are known to have died in the Mediterranean this year. Read more
Google Photos will start charging for photo storage next week (Metro)
Google Photos is ending free unlimited storage from next week. After June 1, any photos uploaded to the app will count towards the 15GB of free cloud storage that Google gives every account holder. If you want to use more than that, you’ll have to start paying for more storage. However, any photos uploaded before next Tuesday will continue to be hosted for free. So if you want to offload most of your pictures to the cloud – now’s the time. Read more
Kanu, Amuneke rue Osimhen, Ndidi, Iheanacho UCL miss (Punch)
Former Super Eagles stars Nwankwo Kanu and Emmanuel Amuneke have expressed their disappointment at not seeing Nigerian trio Victor Osimhen, Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi iheanacho qualify for the UEFA Champions League with their respective clubs, The PUNCH reports.
The trio missed out on Europe’s most glamourous football competition on the final day of the season.
Leicester City duo Iheanacho and Ndidi were broken as they missed out of Champions League qualification on the last day of the season after losing 4-2 at home to Tottenham Hotspurs on Sunday in the EPL.
In the Serie A, Napoli drew 1-1 with Verona on the final day, but it was not enough to secure UCL place, with dethroned champions Juventus claiming the final spot instead. Read more
UEFA opens proceedings against Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid over European Super League plan (BBC)
UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid over their involvement in the proposed European Super League.
The clubs were part of the 12 ‘founding’ members of the breakaway league, which later collapsed.
The other nine clubs renounced the project but Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid have refused to do so.
UEFA said proceedings had been opened against the three “for a potential violation of Uefa’s legal framework”. Read more
NBA punishes Kristaps Porzingis for strip club visit after letting LeBron James off easy (NYPost)
A trip to a strip club cost Kristaps Porzingis more than just a few singles.
The NBA fined the former Knicks star and current Mavericks forward $50,000 for visiting a Los Angeles gentlemen’s club Sunday, according to ESPN, a violation of the league’s COVID-19 protocol that in part prohibits players from visiting bars, clubs and lounges.
The punishment raised some eyebrows, considering NBA golden boy and Lakers star LeBron James was not fined for violating the league’s COVID-19 protocol by attending a promotional event for a tequila company last week.
“While we understand the inclination to compare this incident to protocol violations by other players, including LeBron James, those facts are very different,” the league said in a statement to The Athletic. Read more
Antonio Conte set to leave Inter (Metro)
Antonio Conte will leave Inter within the next 48 hours, according to reports in Italy. The 51-year-old has just guided the club to their first league title since 2010, finishing 12 points clear at the top of Serie A. But Inter president Steven Zhang and their Chinese owners Suning have told the club’s hierarchy that they must lower the wage bill by up to 20 per cent and raise €100 million (£86.5m) in player sales by the end of the transfer window. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Conte was informed of the decision last weekend and the Italian ‘expressed all his bitterness’ towards the team’s new direction in the meeting with the club’s hierarchy. Read more
Christophe Galtier leaves French champions Lille two days after winning title (BBC)
Christophe Galtier has stepped down as head coach of Lille just two days after they won the French league title.
The 54-year-old helped Lille secure their first Ligue 1 championship in a decade on Sunday, finishing one point ahead of Paris St-Germain.
He had been expected to leave after new owners took control of the club halfway through the season.
“I simply have the deep belief that my time is up here,” he told L’Equipe. Read more
Bryson DeChambeau responds to Brooks Koepka shade with bizarre flex (NYPost)
Bryson DeChambeau saw Brooks Koepka’s mid-interview shade.
In a now-viral video, Koepka became exasperated as DeChambeau clomped behind him at the PGA Championship, making loud noises with his cleats. Koepka admittedly lost his train of thought “after hearing that bullsh-t,” he told the interviewer.
Under a post of the video by @golferdoingthings captioned, “Brooks is not a fan of Bryson and his cleats,” DeChambeau weighed in.“You know you can fix spike marks now,” he wrote, adding a crying-laughing emoji. Read more