NDLEA sets ablaze 1.8 tons of cocaine (DailyTrust)
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) destroyed 1.8 tons of cocaine recovered by its personnel from a warehouse in the Ikorodu area of Lagos last week.
Spokesman of the agency, Femi Babafemi, in a statement Tuesday, recalled that the NDLEA had in a well-coordinated and intelligence-led operation that lasted two days last week stormed a hidden warehouse at 6 Olukunola street, Solebo estate Ikorodu, Lagos State where 1.8 tons of cocaine were recovered and five suspects including a Jamaican were arrested.
“Following the historical seizure, which is the largest in the Agency’s history, an order of the Federal High Court in Lagos was obtained for the public destruction of the consignment.
Speaking at the venue of the public destruction of the cocaine haul, Marwa, represented by the agency’s Director, Prosecution and Legal Services, Deputy Commander General of Narcotics (DCGN) Sunday Joseph, said the sheer volume of the drug haul, with street value put at $278, 250,000, equivalent to N194, 775,000,000, speaks volume about the extent of the nefarious activities of the drug underworld. Read more
Deposed Baale of Shangisha, brother jailed 15 years (Nation)
An Ikeja High Court has sentenced the deposed Baale of Shangisha in Magodo area of Lagos, Mutiu Ogundare, to 15 years imprisonment for faking his kidnap.
Justice Hakeem Oshodi sentenced Ogundare having convicted him of a three-count charge bordering on breach of peace and fake kidnapping.
Also jailed for the same prison term is his brother, Opeyemi Mohammed.
The court on June 15 discharged and acquitted his wife Abolanle, of the charges. Read more
Lagos APC House of Assembly aspirants promise to deliver 3m votes (ThisDay)
The Lagos State House of Assembly Aspirants (LAHAA) Forum of the All Progressive Party (APC) on Monday promised to deliver three million votes for both its presidential and governorship candidates in the 2023 election.
The Coordinator of the Lagos State House of Assembly Aspirants Forum 2023, Mr Adeyinka Odukoya, said this at a media briefing held in Lagos State.
According to Odukoya, LAHAA 2023 has conceptualised and is ready to roll out campaign strategy with a grand vision to deliver the votes for Bola Tinubu and Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
“Our target is to reach out to many Nigerians, party and non-party members who possess Permanent Voters Card (PVC) with a determination to convert and convince them to cast their votes for all our candidates in the elections for the interest of our country and Lagos State,” he added. Read more
Okota residents, commuters stranded as flood takes over roads (Guardian)
It was a herculean task commuting on the popular Ibiwoye road in Ago Palace way Okota and other adjoining roads in Oshodi-Isolo Local Council of Lagos State, following floods that threw commuters, residents and shop owners into distress.
The flood was exacerbated by heavy rainfalls and blocked drainage systems that have defied solutions.
Commuters were seen in large numbers stranded at the bus stops with little or no means of transportation as motorists, who did not want to be trapped inside the flood avoided the road.
Shop owners in the vicinity also complained of a lack of sales as residents use an alternative route. Read more
Stop branding private refineries as illegal, LAUTECH professor tells FG (Independent)
Prof. Ademola Adele of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso has cautioned the Federal Government of Nigeria against further tagging as “illegal” the efforts of those who take risks and help economic activities by engaging in oil refineries to serve the yarning needs of the masses.
The professor of Management Entrepreneurship and Director, Directorate of Entrepreneurship Studies, LAUTECH posited that the government was being unfair to such refiners by labelling them illegal for as long as the products from such refineries are in demand and being patronised which means that the products are meeting the standard of the consumers.
“The Federal Government is unfair to such refiners and discouraging their efforts at helping the economy grow.
“This is simply because even if the process of production is considered wrong and the equipment being used is also not up to the standard expected by the government, as long as the end-product is good enough to satisfy the end consumers, then there is no justification for the government to keep tagging the refineries as illegal.”; Prof. Adele harped. Read more
Lagos police arrest 3, recover 150 ‘skuchies’ bottles (Punch)
Three suspects conveying 150 bottles of ‘skuchies’ have been arrested by the Lagos State Police Command.
‘Skuchies’ is a cocktail of drugs, including cannabis sativa, tramadol tablets, codeine, swifnol, among others.
The trio – Francis Friday, Kemi Adeyemo, and Nonso Orji – were arrested while conveying 150 bottles of ‘skuchies’ in a Suzuki minibus at Igbo Agowa, Ikorodu.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, made this known in a tweet on Tuesday. Read more
Group congratulates Oshiomhole, Oyegun, Odubu, others appointed into APC presidential campaign council (ThisDay)
A support group, Edo Volunteers For Tinubu 2023, has applauded two former Governors of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole and Chief John Odigie-Oyegun; former Deputy Governor, Dr. Pius Odubu, and General Cecil Esekhaigbe (rtd) for making the list of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council from Edo State, describing them as people with proven character, competence and capacity required to deliver the party presidential candidate, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu in 2023.
Other Edo indigenes who made the list include Chief Lucky Imasuen, Deputy House Leader and member representing Akoko-Edo federal constituency, Hon. Peter Akpatason; Hon. Professor Julius Ihonvbere, representing Owan federal constituency; Hon. Dennis Idahosa, representing Ovia federal constituency; former state Commissioner for Information, Prince Kassim Afegbua; Tony Kabaka Adun, Chief Bisi Idaomi, and Hon. Abdul Oroh.
In a statement issued in Benin-city yesterday and signed by the group Coordinator, Mr. John Mayaki, the group said: “We are proud that such experienced and committed individuals from Edo State were nominated, appointed and have also agreed to serve in the APC Presidential Campaign Council. We are particularly elated because these are experienced people coming to lead us in their respective important roles to deliver our candidate in 2023.”
The group commended everyone who made the list, describing them “as notable Edo politicians and leaders with track record.”
According to the statement, “While the former National Chairman of the party, Oshiomhole, would serve as the deputy director-general (operations), Odubu is the deputy director, Logistics and Support Services; Imasuen is the state coordinator, and Afegbua would serve as the secretary of the Directorate of Public Affairs. Read more
“I finally take a bow,” Toke Makinwa retires from broadcasting (Vanguard)
Nigerian celebrity media personality Toke Makinwa has announced her retirement from broadcasting.
She made this statement via her Instagram page, on Friday, September 23, 2022.
While celebrating her success, Toke narrated how she began her journey as an amateur and has since progressed to become an experienced media personality and presenter.
In what seemed to be a heartwarming post, she wrote, “This has taken me so long to share but here we go. Guys, it has been 12 years since my first day on radio, and I finally take a bow.
“It’s been the most exciting 12 years of my life. (So many memories), I joined as a rookie and now I can say I’m leaving as a seasoned broadcaster. Read more
DJ Cuppy graduates from Oxford university (Independent)
Popular Nigerian Disk Jockey, Florence Ifeoluwa Otedola, better known as DJ Cuppy has graduated with a Master’s Degree from the University of Oxford, Daily Independent reports.
The 29-year-old billionaire daughter who made the announcement via his verified Twitter handle on Tuesday said she has officially graduated from the prestigious university after she underwent a Master’s programme in African Studies.
DJ Cuppy who appreciated God in her tweet said though she didn’t get merit or distinction in her thesis, she was excited that she passed, noting that she faced a tough year at Oxford and was super proud of herself that she had finally graduated.
The tweet read, “I got my THESIS result, which classifies my MSc degree. I didn’t get a Merit or a Distinction, but I PASSED! Read more
Shakira to stand trial in Spain over alleged tax fraud (RTE)
A Spanish court has ordered Colombian music star Shakira to stand trial over alleged tax fraud, newly released court documents show.
A trial date has yet to be determined.
Prosecutors in Barcelona said in July they would seek a prison sentence of more than eight years against the singer and a fine of nearly €24 million after she rejected a plea deal over accusations of tax evasion.
They accuse the 45-year-old of defrauding the Spanish tax office of €14.5 million on income earned between 2012 and 2014. Read more
Man arrested on Ryanair flight for ‘sexually assaulting female passenger next to him’ (Metro)
A British man has been arrested after allegedly groping a woman sat next to him on a flight from Liverpool to Mallorca.
The woman complained to air stewards that the man, aged 35, had touched one of her breasts and asked her to have sex with him in the toilet.
She also told police he made an unwanted sexual innuendo moments before the plane landed.
He was arrested at Palma Airport late on Sunday and fined £2,500 before being taken to court yesterday. Read more
Harry Styles’ “As It Was” becomes longest-running US number one by a UK act (BBC)
Harry Styles’ hit As It Was has become the longest-running number one on the US singles chart by a British artist.
The song has scored a 15th week on top of the Billboard Hot 100, breaking the record previously held jointly by Mark Ronson and Sir Elton John.
Their hits, Uptown Funk and Candle In The Wind respectively, each spent 14 weeks in the chart’s top spot.
Styles is also currently at number one on the US cinema box office chart with his film Don’t Worry Darling. Read more
Måneskin announce new single ‘The Loneliest’, coming next week (NME)
Måneskin have announced a new single called ‘The Loneliest’.
The Italian band are due to release the track next Friday (October 7).
‘The Loneliest’ follows on from Måneskin’s latest single ‘Supermodel’, which came out in May, and the group’s recent ‘If I Can Dream’ cover from the new Elvis biopic.
Additionally, Måneskin have shared a live performance of ‘I Wanna Be Your Slave’ from last weekend’s Global Citizen Festival in New York City. Read more
Oscars: Argentina submits “Argentina, 1985” to International Film Category (Deadline)
Argentina has submitted Santiago Mitre’s political drama Argentina, 1985 to the Best International Film Oscar race.
The drama, which debuted in Competition in Venice, winning the Fipresci prize, is inspired by real-life Argentinian lawyers Julio Strassera and Luis Moreno Ocampo.
The David and Goliath tale follows how the pair and their young legal team daringly prosecuted members of the former military junta to bring justice to the victims of their deadly regime. Under their rule from 1976 to 1983, an estimated 30,000 people disappeared. Read more
Netflix acquires Robert Downey Sr. documentary
Netflix has acquired a new documentary about Robert Downey Sr.
The streaming service shared a first look at the film, Sr., on Monday.
Sr. explores the life of Downey, who died at age 85 in July 2021. Downey was an independent filmmaker known for Putney Swope (1969) and other films.
The documentary also explores themes from creativity and mortality to fatherhood and generational trauma, and Downey’s relationship with his son, actor Robert Downey Jr. Read more
Kenyan lawyer in ICC case linked to new president found dead (ABC)
Police say a Kenyan lawyer facing charges at the International Criminal Court of bribing and threatening prosecution witnesses in a past ICC case against Kenya’s recently elected president has been found dead.
Paul Gicheru had pleaded not guilty earlier this year to all eight counts of interfering with witnesses in the case against William Ruto, who had been charged with involvement in violence after Kenya’s 2007 election that left more than 1,000 people dead.
A police report seen by The Associated Press said the family of the 50-year-old Gicheru found him unconscious at his home Monday night. “The body was found lying on the back, clean, casually dressed and no saliva or blood on any body opening,” the report says, noting that “the deceased is a known diabetic and high blood pressure patient.”
The police report noted that Gicheru’s 20-year-old son, who told his mother that Gicheru “had taken something,” was later found with “froth” coming from his mouth and difficulty breathing. He was in stable condition at a local hospital, the report said. It was not clear what happened. Read more
Nigeria moves 2 steps up, retains top spot in Africa (Sun)
Nigeria’s Men’s national basketball team has moved up two places in the latest FIBA World Ranking released Monday and is now ranked 19 in the world with 460.1 points to her credit.
This is despite D’Tigers dropping two games out of three at the FIBA Basketball World Cup African Qualifiers in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire in August.
Nigeria however retains the number one spot in Africa with Tunisia taking a huge leap of 7 steps to rank 20 in the world with 447.5 points and second in Africa.
Senegal is 36 in the world and third in Africa with 329.9 points dropping four places while Angola dropped nine places in the world to rank 39 and 4 in Africa just as already qualified team for the 2023 World Cup Cote d’Ivoire dropped two places to rank 42 with 306.2 points and is 5 on the continent.
The top ranked team in the world remains United States, but their ranking points are now less than 2 above Spain. The number one spot will be at stake during the last two windows of the FIBA World Cup 2023 Qualifiers. USA falling out of the top spot has never happened before since the inception of the FIBA World Ranking. Read more
Settle your differences with aggrieved parties, FIFA tells NFF (Guardian)
World Football governing body, FIFA, has reportedly advised the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to reconcile its differences with aggrieved parties ahead of its elective congress scheduled for Benin City, Edo State on September 30.
Nigerian football has been in turmoil for the past two weeks, with legal battles casting doubts on the chances of the NFF elections holding as scheduled.
A Federal High Court in Abuja, led by Justice Inyang Ekwo, recently stopped the NFF election, ruling that all parties should maintain the status quo. He adjourned further proceedings until October 31.
His order followed a suit filed by the Professional Footballers Association of Nigeria (PFAN) against the NFF over unequal representation of all the five statutory bodies that make up the NFF in terms of voting rights and representation on the board, its congress and committees.
Another group, known as Nigeria Football Stakeholders, has also threatened to ‘bomb’ the election venue in Benin City, if the poll is not cancelled.
In a letter signed by Dogogo Johnbull and addressed to Sports Minister, Sunday Dare, the group warned that ‘blood will flow’ if they refuse to heed their demand. It claimed that the present NFF board, headed by Amaju Pinnick, committed so many atrocities.
The Guardian learnt yesterday that the NFF wrote to FIFA, alleging interference from several quarters in the build-up to its election in Benin City. Read more
Barcelona facing injury crisis with 6 players out as Clasico looms (Standard)
Barcelona are suffering from a worsening injury crisis ahead of a frantic period of fixtures.
After returning to action against Mallorca on Saturday, the LaLiga giants face Inter Milan twice plus Villarreal, Athletic Club, Valencia and Bayern Munich in October – as well as the little matter of the Clasico against Real Madrid.
Hector Bellerin has become the latest player to go down with an issue, Barcelona confirming the right-back suffered a calf injury in training on Tuesday.
Fitness tests will determine how long Bellerin remains on the sidelines with Xavi’s defence already stretched by a number of absences.
Burton Albion: Williams Kokolo denies rape charges in court (BBC)
A footballer has appeared in court to deny three counts of rape.
Williams Kokolo, 22, appeared at Birmingham Crown Court on Tuesday for a 15-minute hearing.
The accusations against the Burton Albion defender involved one woman in the Birmingham area on 13 February.
His club said it was “fully aware” of the charges faced by the French-born player and declined to comment further during active proceedings. Read more
Montella reveals why Balotelli Joined Sion (FootballItalia)
Adana Demirspor’s boss Vincenzo Montella says Mario Balotelli joined Sion because he wanted to move close to Italy and was ‘surprised’ by Inter and Juventus‘ poor results.
Balotelli joined the Swiss side on the deadline day after a one-year spell in Turkey under the Italian tactician.
“Mario made his contribution of goals last year and we gave him a good hand to get back in shape and get another call-up for the national team,” Montella told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“But now he wanted to get closer to home. Sion’s offer satisfied both him and the club and we said goodbye. I wish him many satisfactions.” Read more
FIBA to investigate Mali players for fighting at Women’s World Cup (DW)
A fight between two Mali basketball players at the Women’s World Cup broke out after the team lost their game against Serbia and was eliminated from the tournament.
The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) on Tuesday launched an investigation after two Mali players were filmed fighting with each other after their team was eliminated from the Women’s World Cup in Australia.
The fight broke out between players Salimatou Kourouma and Kamite Elisabeth Dabou, where Kourouma could be seen throwing punches at Dabou. Their teammates soon intervened and broke up the fight.
“FIBA acknowledged today that there was an altercation between Mali players in the mixed zone following the Group B game Serbia-Mali at the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022,” the body said in a statement. Read more
Lewis Hamilton fans handed bad news for 2023
2022 is a year that Mercedes can’t wait to see the back of, with the new aerodynamic era having started in arguably the worst way possible for the Germans.
Despite having spent so much of 2021 developing their car for this season, Mercedes have arguably made a mess of the new aerodynamic regulations, with their results this season evidence of that.
With just six races remaining this season, the defending Constructors’ Champions are still yet to claim their first win of the season, putting an impressive record at serious risk of ending.
The Silver Arrows have managed to win at least one race every season since 2012, with both George Russell or Sir Lewis Hamilton not having much time to extend this streak. Read more