Nigerian don found dead in US (Punch)
A United States-based Nigerian professor, Marinus Iwuchukwu, and a woman identified as Charce Dunn have been found dead in Pittsburg Pennsylvania.
They were found dead along Thorncrest Drive, Wilkins Township, Pittsburg on Tuesday after an alleged “domestic disturbance” around 10 am.
The Allegheny County Police said they received a call to check on the well-being of a couple inside their home.
According to the police, a third party was unable to reach the male resident and learned that the man had been stabbed. A woman remained inside the residence with a firearm. Read more
“Rich people” are biggest problem of Nigeria – Kwankwaso (Vanguard)
Presidential candidate of the New Nigeria People’s Party, NNPP, Rabiu Kwankwaso said the rich people are the biggest problem of Nigeria.
Kwankwaso, a former two-term governor of Kano stated this while addressing stakeholders on his vision for Nigeria at Chatham House, a world-leading policy institute and think-tank forum.
He said, “Forget about the big people, who are actually the problem of our country…”
The presidential candidate of the NNPP further stated, “With supporters at the grassroots level, we are the only party today and we’ve succeeded …in Northern Nigeria today in terms of votes and support. Now we are working in the Southern part of the country.” Read more
Tinubu’s St Paul Aroloya Primary School never existed, group tells court (Sun)
An Abuja Federal High Court has been told that the St Paul Aroloya Primary School, Lagos the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, claimed to have attended “has never existed”.
The charge was contained in a suit filed by the Incorporated Trustees of Advocacy for Social Right Advancement and Development Initiative (ASRADI).
The group procured an order of court to bring an application seeking to compel the Inspector General of Police to investigate Tinubu over allegations bordering on perjury.
Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon made the order while ruling in the exparte application brought by the group against the IG.
ASRADI had in an exparte motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/2197/2022, sought leave of the court to bring an application for an order of judicial review, compelling the Inspector General of Police to investigate Tinubu in respect of his educational qualification claims submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in 1999. Read more
Slain lawyer buried, cleric consoles family (Punch)
Tears flowed on Tuesday when a Lagos-based lawyer, Bolanle Raheem, who was allegedly shot dead by a policeman, Drambi Vandi, last Christmas, was committed to mother earth.
Dressed mostly in black attire, family, friends and colleagues of the late lawyer gathered at The Redeemed Christian Church of God, Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos, for her funeral service.
Around 10am, pallbearers dressed in white shirts and black suits, led by family members, brought in the coffin of the legal practitioner.
While they walked in, the church choir sang worship songs and sang praises to God. Read more
Nigeria Decides 2023: Get your PVC, vote experienced people, Adewale urges Lagosians (Sun)
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Lagos West senatorial candidate, Deacon Segun Adewale (Aeroland), has urged Lagosians to ensure they collect their permanent voter’s card (PVC) before the expiration of the deadline set by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the polls.
Adewale, who spoke in Ikeja Tuesday when he kicked off his campaign, noted that the PVC is the only tool with which the people can get the kind of government they want.
He noted that governance is a serious endeavour that requires only experienced people in the saddle.
“Without your PVC, you cannot vote, and you must vote because I am sure you want a change of government. You want a government that will work for you, your children, and your family. I beg you to please collect your PVC and vote,” the candidate stated. Read more
Muslim-Muslim Ticket: My husband never impeded my religious freedom — Tinubu’s wife (Vanguard)
The wife of the presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress APC, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, has pledged the commitment of her husband, Bola Tinubu, to religious freedom, urging Nigerians to elect him as their president.
Mrs Tinubu also declared that APC as a party would fulfil all its campaign promises.
She made the pronouncements on Tuesday at the South East Zonal Tinubu/Shettima Presidential Women Rally which took place at the Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu Square, Owerri, Imo state.
According to her, women will be adequately represented in government if her husband is elected at the polls next month. Read more
Obasanjo: What prevented MKO Abiola from becoming president (DailyTrust)
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Wednesday listed what he considered as the factor that stopped Chief MKO Abiola, presumed winner of the June 12, 1993 Presidential election, from becoming president.
Speaking on Wednesday at a lecture titled “Eyin Ni Iwe Wa: You Are Our Epistle,” the centenary celebrations of the Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta, Ogun State, he said “bad belle” did not allow Abeokuta produce another president.
He said without the moral virtues and sound education impacted on him by BBHS, he would not have become what he is today.
Obasanjo also noted that the school moulded the late sage, Obafemi Awolowo, former Judge of the International Court of Justice (ICJ), Prince Bola Ajibola, among others, into what they all became in life. Read more
Dino Melaye hits blogger over alleged romantic link to skit makers (Nation)
The spokesperson for the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) Presidential Campaign Council, Dino Melaye, has lashed out at a blogger after being linked romantically to two popular skit makers Ashmusy and Nons Miraj.
The controversial blogger had taken subtly shaded Melaye alongside the Ashmusy and Nons Miraj hours after comedian Nedu revealed that he caught two female online influencers having a threesome with a popular figure in a hotel in Abuja.
Nedu explained he wasn’t revealing the names of the said influencers because they are aware he saw them and somehow expects he’d ‘respect’ them by divulging their ‘secret’.
Though he didn’t spell out their names, the blogger, however, went ahead to share a photo collage of the trio with innuendo in the caption.
Ghostface chases Jenna Ortega and Hayden Panettiere across NYC in Scream VI (EW)
Moving to New York can be tough business.
But what if you had to deal with cramped apartments, outsized rodents, and a masked maniac who wants to stab you to death? That’s the situation that faces Scream (2022) survivors who have relocated from Woodsboro, Calif. to NYC in Scream VI (out March 10).
“These kids are running away, and Ghostface is still finding them in the most beautiful city but also the most terrifying because it’s so crowded and it can be aggressive,” says cast member Melissa Barrera.
Courteney Cox, reprising the role of crime reporter Gale Weathers, whom she first played way back in 1996’s franchise-inaugurating Scream, agrees that the new setting ups the ante for the cast of characters.
“Bringing Ghostface to New York adds an entirely new element to the story,” says the actress. “Taking the character out of a small town and putting them in the heart of the city that never sleeps is more terrifying than ever.” Read more
Cardi B granted extension after failing to complete community service over 2018 assault (HipHopDX)
Cardi B has been granted an extension after failing to complete community service relating to her 2018 strip club assault case.
According to TMZ, the “WAP” rapper appeared in court on Tuesday (January 17) due to not carrying out any of the 15 hours of community service she was ordered to complete last year. After failing to meet the initial deadline, the judge gave her a new date of March 1 to complete her sentence.
Cardi B’s attorney Drew Findling said: “Personally and professionally, Cardi is dedicated to community service and charitable endeavors. She therefore appreciates the court giving her until March 1 to complete her community service commitment in Queens, New York.”
The Bronx native arrived in court wearing a fur coat over a skintight dress, along with Louboutin heels and Christian Dior sunglasses. Read more
Toni Basil celebrates 40th anniversary of her hit “Hey Mickey” at The Grammy Museum (MXDWXN)
Grammy-nominated choreographer, dancer, recording artist, director, producer, actress and street dance historian Toni Basil celebrated the 40th anniversary of her hit “Hey Mickey” going No. 1 on Billboard with an intimate conversation highlighting extraordinary moments of her career. The multi-talented legend discussed everything from her childhood to her career kicking off in the 60s as the go-to go-go dancer, to working with Elvis Presley and recent work within Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.
Television presenter and producer Tina Malavé moderated the conversation touching on key moments of Toni Basil’s career. Basil was welcomed into the Clive Davis Theater room with a standing ovation as fans, friends and family cheered for the icon. Attendees had the opportunity to see the original cheerleading costume from Basil’s “Mickey” music video and one of her outfits used for the 1970 dance group The Lockers. Guests even witnessed Bail’s dance colleagues and friends demonstrate the signature The Lockers handshake.
Basil recollected watching over 1,000 acts and performances in her father’s theatre. She recalled how everyone would part and make way for little Toni to walk through the hallway. She fondly reminisced on her realization of wanting to be on the stage having a crowd cheer for her. Read more
Frank Ocean drops biggest hint yet a new album is on the way (MusicNews)
Frank Ocean has suggested he has a new album on the way.
The 35-year-old star had previously made it known that he would release new music as one-off singles instead of album form, but he has seemingly had a change of heart and has teased a potential follow-up to 2016’s ‘Blonde’ on a poster for his merchandise.
The print notes that a “fictitious recording artist” (seemingly Ocean) preferred “the singles distribution model as opposed to the long-form album model,” as it was “more suited to modern consumption habits.”
The biggest hint yet that another LP is on the way came with the admission that: “The Recording Artist has since changed his mind about the singles model, and is again interested in more durational bodies of work.” Read more
John Wick director signs on for Rainbow Six movie starring Michael B. Jordan (NME)
John Wick director Chad Stahelski has reportedly signed on to helm a Rainbow Six movie, starring Michael B. Jordan.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jordan will be reprising his role as Navy SEAL-turned-CIA operative John Clark, having first portrayed the character in 2021’s Without Remorse.
It was confirmed back in 2018 that Paramount were working on two films based on the Tom Clancy universe. Rainbow Six is considered a sequel to Without Remorse.
Plot details are yet to be revealed, with the project still in the early stages of development. However, if the story remains true to the source material, it should see Clark set up a secret international counter terrorist organisation known as Rainbow. Read more
Black Panther 2, Ant-Man 3 secure China release dates as Beijing lifts de facto ban on Marvel (THR)
At long last, Marvel and Walt Disney appear to be getting a break in China. The studio’s superhero tentpoles Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania both have locked down China release dates, ending a de facto three-and-a-half year ban on all Marvel movie releases in the country — a pattern that cost Disney hundreds of millions in potential ticket revenue.
Black Panther 2, which released across the rest of the world in November, will unfurl in China on Feb. 7, followed by Ant-Man 3 on Feb. 17, day-and-date with North America.
Marvel shared the surprise news Tuesday over its official Chinese social media accounts. The two titles will be the very first movies of Marvel’s Phase 4 to screen in China, as the last approved theatrical releases from the studio were Spider-Man: Far From Home and Avengers: Endgame, way back in early/mid-2019. They also will test how the drought of MCU movies over the preceding years has affected fan sentiment around the franchise.
Ant-Man and the Wasp earned over $121.2 million in China in 2018, and the first Black Panther grossed $105 million that same year. Read more
US has moved munitions stored in Israel for use by Ukraine (CNN)
The United States has transferred American munitions stored in Israel for use in Ukraine and plans to send more soon, US and Israeli officials told CNN Wednesday.
A US official told CNN they have moved “some” of the 300,000 155-millimeter shells that the US and Israel agreed would be transferred, and that there are plans to move the remaining amount in the coming weeks.
Israel Defense Forces spokesperson Richard Hecht told CNN that the Americans notified the Israelis a while ago they were transferring munitions. Hecht said the munitions are US-owned, that their movements are “American business” and that they don’t need Israeli permission to move the munitions.
The New York Times first reported the American military is tapping into its munitions stockpile stored in Israel for use in Ukraine, noting Israeli officials had initially expressed “concerns about appearing complicit in arming Ukraine.” Read more
CSED trains 35 netball coaches in Yenagoa, commends Igali, others (Guardian)
Community Sport and Educational Development (CSED) Initiative has taken its ‘Project 2027’ netball tour to Bayelsa State capital, Yenagoa, where a two-day netball seminar for Physical and Health Education Teachers was held.
Project 2027 is part of efforts to promote the right of Nigerian girls to play netball and also bring the game to the attention of one million school girls before the end of 2027.
The netball training in Yenagoa was organised in collaboration with the Bayelsa State Ministry of Youth and Sports, as well as the state’s Ministry of Education. The event was held at the indoor hall of the Samson Siasia Stadium, between January 11 and 12, 2023.
This training was the first to be held in Nigeria since netball was demonstrated at Delta 2022 National Sports Festival. Over 25 Physical Education teachers, drawn from various schools across the state, and 10 Sports Council coaches were in attendance. Read more
NPFL: Gusau thumbs up referees (Sun)
President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Alhaji Ibrahim Musa Gusau has commended the group of officiating officials who took charge of the Match Day 1 of the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL), saying they should sustain through the season and thenceforth, the credibility that was apparent in their output on the first day.
The Match Day 1 of the NPFL witnessed four away wins and four draws with only two home teams earning the maximum points. Champions Rivers United fought hard to defeat Lobi Stars 2-1 in Port Harcourt, while Remo Stars turned back El-Kanemi Warriors 2-0 in Ikenne.
“I am happy with the results in which so many teams won on away ground, as well as the reports we received from most of the centres concerning the performance of the referees.
“I want to commend the NFF Referees Committee for putting their right foot forward from the beginning and also charge the referees themselves to sustain credible output going forward. We are determined to ensure that so many things about the League change for the better and we will not relent in our efforts,” Gusau said at the weekend. Read more
Wales agree equal pay for football internationals (RFI)
The Football Association of Wales (FAW) became the latest governing body to agree equal pay deals for men’s and women’s internationals on Wednesday.
The deal comes into place immediately and covers the period up to and including the 2026 men’s World Cup and 2027 women’s World Cup.
A joint statement released by Wales men’s and women’s teams said: “Together Stronger has been the mantra across the Cymru national teams for us all, both on and off the pitch as we look to put Wales on the world stage.
“As part of the FAW’s strive towards equality, we are now proud to announce that together, our men’s and women’s teams have agreed to an equal pay structure for future international matches.” Read more
Graham Potter urged to move on from 2 Chelsea players (Standard)
Graham Potter has been urged to ensure Jorginho and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang are not part of his long-term Chelsea plans.
It’s been another busy month in the transfer window so far for the Blues, with Joao Felix and Mykhailo Mudryk among the five January arrivals to add to a record-breaking summer of spending.
No midfielders have yet been brought in though, despite that being an area that appears to need attention. Both Jorginho and N’Golo Kante are out of contract in the summer, with the Italian expected to leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.
Former Chelsea defender Frank Leboeuf hopes that is the case, believing the 31-year-old is no longer good enough for the club. Read more
Emma Raducanu sets new injury goal after crutches almost stopped Brit playing Aus Open (Express)
Emma Raducanu has targeted getting fit and ready for Wimbledon after revealing she was on crutches just 10 days before the Australian Open. The former US Open winner admitted her frustration with her lack of match sharpness as she lost 6-3 7-6 to world No 7 Coco Gauff.
The British No 1 had two set points to take an entertaining match into a third set in her first appearance in the Rod Laver Arena but was unable to convert either. “I think I had a lot of chances today,” she said.
“It obviously sucks a bit, but it’s fine.” Raducanu could be so sanguine after her latest early exit because she feared she would miss the first Grand Slam of the season after rolling her ankle in Auckland on January 5.
“Ten days before the tournament I was in crutches and doing pool rehab,” she laughed. “I think we did a great job to get onto the court this week. It has been a massive effort. Read more
Chadwick keeps ”F1 dream alive” by continuing Williams role (RN365)
Jamie Chadwick has said she is keeping her “F1 dream alive” by continuing her role in the Williams F1 Driver Academy.
The three-time W Series champion will be moving to the US to compete in the 2023 Indy NXT series – previously Indy Lights – with Andretti Autosport.
Alongside this Williams have confirmed that she will continue her personalised simulator program with the team to aid in her progression as a driver, and will provide support to her race preparations.
Chadwick said the move to continue with Williams will enable her to immerse herself within the team more, as she sets sights on her goal of reaching F1 within the next five years. Read more