The Nigerian military has accused journalists of working for the terror group, Boko Haram, after reports showed security forces had suffered heavy losses in recent months.
In an apparent targeting of the media, the military said it was “known that some journalists work for Boko Haram and fraternise with terrorist commanders”. The military provided no evidence backing its claim.
Its statement on Thursday came amid reports showing the army has lately faced a string of heavy losses, with over a hundred soldiers killed by Boko Haram.
In July, PREMIUM TIMES reported that no fewer than 23 Nigerian soldiers went missing after insurgents ambushed a military convoy at Boboshe village in Bama local government area of Borno State. Five officers, 18 soldiers and eight trucks were missing after the attack.
More attacks have occured since then with at least 31 soldiers killed in a September onslaught, military sources told PREMIUM TIMES.
Reuters also reported this week the deaths of soldiers. It appears the military statement was in response to the report.