Police still in search of boy who killed parents three months after (Guardian)
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Bala Elkana, has said that the police are still searching for Michael Okhide, the boy who stabbed his father and mother to death in Ejigbo area of Lagos State. The suspect had been declared wanted by the police since the incident occurred.
Elkana told newsmen that all hands were still on deck to ensure the boy is arrested as the intelligence teams are still working to trace him and apprehend him.
The 23-year old boy, Michael Okhide, had attacked his parents, by stabbing his father, Barrister Clement Okhide and his mother, Mrs. Toyin Okhide, who thereafter bled to death about three months ago in their home at Alhaji Akeem Gbadamosi Street, Ejigbo, where they resided.
The deceased father, Okhide, was at the time the newly elected chairman of Ailegun West Community Development Association (CDA) in Ejigbo. Read more
‘Lawyer didn’t sponsor military, thugs for illegal demolition’ (Nation)
A Lagos lawyer, Yinka Campbell, has debunked a report accusing him of sponsoring the military and thugs to demolish buildings at Aboru, in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos.
A national daily last Monday fingered Campbell as the alleged sponsor of four Air Force men and thugs, who carried out the destruction.
The report claimed that while the lawyer denied responsibility for the demolition, he admitted supporting the invaders’ action, because his firm had been granted possession of the land.
But Campbell, in a statement, said the national daily was misled and misinformed by the real land grabbers, who had been sponsoring hoodlums and law enforcement agents to demolish his clients’ building on the land. Read more
Assembly panel alleges fraud by 65 dredging firms in Lagos (Guardian)
The Lagos State House of Assembly yesterday said that only one out of 66 dredging companies operating on Lagos waters, mostly dominated by Chinese nationals, was up-to-date in payment of required dues and taxes to the coffers of the state government.
Chairman of the House of Assembly ad-hoc committee set up to investigate activities of dredging companies in the state, Victor Akande, who spoke while giving preliminary reports of the panel’s investigation at plenary yesterday, said that the dredgers were denying the state huge sums of revenue by defaulting in the payment of statutory dues and taxes.
He also said that some people, including foreigners, especially Chinese, engaged in dredging activities thereby enriching themselves at the expense of the state. Read more
Lagos Assembly confirms 2 additional nominees for state audit commission (Independent)
The Lagos State House of Assembly has confirmed two additional nominees submitted by Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu for the state’s Audit Service Commission.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the confirmation of the duo was by voice votes at plenary on Monday.
The Speaker of the House, Mr Mudashiru Obasa, said that the nominees were Yakub Balogun and Jimoh Ibrahim.
Obasa said Balogun replaced Mr Abiodun Akhigbe, who was rejected by the House on Thursday May 15th.
The speaker told the nominees that the House would not fail in its oversight to ensure that the commission performed its responsibility to the people of the state. Read more
Give priority to elderly between 9am -10.30am, Sanwo-Olu asks banks, traders (DailyTrust)
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has called on banks and markets in the state to strictly enforce orderliness in their premises, while directing that elderly people must be given the priority to transact their businesses between 9am and 10.30am, after which other younger customers should be allowed to transact. Sanwo-Olu made the call on Sunday after the state’s Security Council meeting which held at the State House in Marina.
The governor disclosed that officials of the Lagos State Safety Commission (LSSC) and Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) would be visiting restaurants and companies to assess their level of readiness for reopening. He added that the agencies would also be visiting places of worship to evaluate their level of preparedness, stressing that the social distancing and hygiene conditions would be fully considered in determining whether mosques and churches can re-open soon. Read more
Lagos appoints Olayinka Adeyemi as DPP (Nation)
Former Director, Office of the Public Defender (OPD), Mrs. Adenrera Olayinka Adeyemi, has been appointed as the Director, Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), Lagos State Ministry of Justice.
Her appointment followed the appointment of the former DPP, Yaqub Oshoala as a judge of Lagos State judiciary.
Adeyemi obtained her LLB Hons. from Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo Lagos and Masters Degree in Law from University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka.
She was called to the Nigerian bar in 1991.
Adeyemi started her legal career with the Chambers of Olomola-Owa & Co as Junior Counsel in 1992 and later moved to Iranloye & Co where she became fully involved in litigation practice. Read more
Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde celebrates 25 years in entertainment industry (Nation)
A Nigerian screen diva, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, has taken to her social media handle to celebrate her 25th year in the entertainment industry.
The talented veteran actress, who said she was excited and grateful, took to her Instagram page @realomosexy to share captivating photos to celebrate her anniversary.
“What!!! Stop press
Lol… It just Occurred to me that this year is My 25th Year in Entertainment!!! 25th Anniversary… 2020!!! #Timeflies#Godisgood#Grateful,” she wrote.
”The laugh you have ……When you know the Things Coming are Way bigger than the things past than the things past !!
25yearsStrong. What would you love to see me still do ? say #Next25?
#Godisdoingit” she added.
The mother of four, who is also a singer, said she ventured into entertainment in 1995 and she appreciates God for the impact she has made in the industry. Read more
Fuel pump price may rise in June as oil heads towards $40 per barrel (Guardian)
If the Federal Government’s pricing template is anything to go by, Nigerians may have to brace for an increase in the pump price of fuel as oil prices begin to head towards the $40 region, following countries’ eased lockdown measures, showing signs of gradual recovery in demand, supported by on-going output cuts effective May.
Yesterday afternoon, Brent crude hit $35.34 per barrel, U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude was up 7.44 per cent, to hit $31.62 a barrel, the highest in nine weeks or since March 16. Nigeria’s Bonny Light rose by 10.68 per cent to hit $29.84 per barrel.
Although the Federal Government failed to review the N123.5 to N125/litre pump price of petrol for May, despite continued crash of crude oil price, it may adjust the price for next month if oil prices rise above the $40 threshold.
The delay by the Petroleum Product Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA), to review the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly known as petrol for May, also increase the profit margin of oil marketer to N15.5 per litre. Read more
Bajumba: Taraba community where they only fetch water at night (DailyTrust)
At midnight in this Taraba community, the village well is opened for people with no other water source to fetch. Daily Trust reports on the reason for the nightly ritual. Every day from 6:00 p.m., the scenario is the same in Bajumba community in Taraba State. Women in the village, some along with their grown-up children, would start lining up at the well in the village. They are orderly as each one puts down her container in a single line. This is all in preparation for fetching water from a well. However, the wait is long as fetching water from the well only starts at 12 midnight and ends at 6:00 a.m. the following day. The well is the only source of drinking water in Bajumba community and was reconstructed by late Danbaba Suntai in 1992 when he was the chairman of Bali Local Government Council in the defunct Gongola State. Read more
Tenant’s hilarious response after being ‘forced’ to move out of flat (Metro)
A landlord who ‘forced’ a man out of his flat asked him to shoot a video of the property for new tenants – but it wasn’t quite what they expected. Sandy Batchelor, a Scottish actor, did as he was told. He shot a short film and then posted it to Twitter. The two-and-a-half minute video shows the flat as a seemingly damp, broken, and odoriferous dump that took years effort from the current tenants to transform. But the video has certainly helped get the place seen, as the clip has been viewed more than 5,000,000 times and counting. Sandy wrote: ‘Our letting agent asked us to make a video of the flat we are basically being forced out of. I wish them the very best of luck.’ The video begins with a test shot of Sandy’s feet, as he says: ‘Right welcome to the virtual viewing of our flat, this is the living room, all this is coming with us because the flat comes unfurnished. Read more
Trump taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent coronavirus (BBC)
US President Donald Trump has said he is taking hydroxychloroquine to ward off coronavirus, even though health officials have warned it may be unsafe.
Speaking at the White House, he told reporters he started taking the malaria and lupus medication recently.
“I’m taking it for about a week and a half now and I’m still here, I’m still here,” was his surprise announcement.
There is no evidence hydroxychloroquine can fight off coronavirus, though clinical trials are under way. Read more
Brazil overtakes UK for 3rd most COVID-19 cases (CBC)
Brazil recorded 674 new coronavirus deaths on Monday, the Health Ministry said, and announced a total of 254,220 confirmed cases, overtaking Britain to become the country with the third-highest number of infections behind the United States and Russia.
As of Monday evening, Brazil had more than 255,000 cases, according to the database tracking system maintained by the coronavirus resource centre at Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. had more than 1.5 million, Russia had nearly 291,000. The United Kingdom’s number of cases stood at almost 248,000.
There are now 16,792 people in Brazil who have died from the outbreak, the ministry said. Read more
Coronavirus: French court orders ban on worship to end (BBC)
France’s administrative court has ruled that the government must lift a blanket ban on meetings at places of worship within eight days.
The ban was put in place as part of measures to curb the spread of coronavirus.
The Council of State ruled the ban was “disproportionate in nature” and caused “damage that was seriously and manifestly illegal”.
More than 28,000 people have died in France from Covid-19.
Currently, all gatherings in places of worship are banned except for funerals, which are limited to 20 people. Read more
Sexual harassment ‘rampant’ at McDonald’s, international labour group tells OECD in complaint (RT)
An international group of labour unions has filed a complaint alleging “systemic” and “rampant” sexual harassment at McDonald’s restaurants around the globe, arguing the corporate fast food giant has ignored the problem for years.
The complaint was filed with the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) on Monday by the International Union of Food Workers (IUF), which said McDonald’s had allowed a “sexual harassment crisis” to persist in restaurants all over the world, including in the US, Brazil, Australia, France, the UK, Chile and Colombia, among other countries.
“McDonald’s workers have sounded the alarm about sexual harassment and gender-based violence for years, but a company with a culture rotten from the top has failed to take meaningful action to address the problem,” Sue Longley, IUF’s general secretary, said in a statement. Read more
How to make your own Facebook emoji character (Metro)
Facebook has launched its Avatars on the world letting users create cartoony versions of themselves. The idea is nothing new – Snapchat has its Bitmoji and Apple users can create their own Memoji. But now Facebook has joined the party so we’re going to show you how to make your own Avatar. Once you’ve created your Avatar, you can use them in Facebook comments and on the Messenger chat app. Each Avatar can be shared in different poses or scenes. ‘The Avatars feature lets you customise your own personal avatar for use in stickers across comments and Messenger,’ says Facebook. ‘It lets people create a new persona, allowing them to share across Facebook and Messenger in a more personal, light-hearted way.’ Read more
Ndidi tipped to join Manchester Utd (Independent)
Leicester City of England midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi has received a strong tip that he will eventually follow his former teammate, Harry Maguire to Manchester United, as The Foxes will not be able to ward off pressure for his transfer for too long.
This is the stimulating verdict of NBC Sports football expert, Joe Prince- Wright, who noted that interest from United in Ndidi has resurfaced in the transfer mill, and the likelihood of the former Racing Genk of Belgium star making the move to Old Trafford keeps growing with each passing day.
Although United’s English Premier League (EPL) rivals, Liverpool and Arsenal are also sad to be n the hunt for Ndidi, who Leicester insist they are not ready to sell, Prince-Wright is of a view that The Foxes would eventually be forced to make a sale under pressure, and the team that is most likely to gain from their capitulation will be The Red Devils.
Prince-Wright added: “In the latest transfer news Man United have been linked with a move for Wilfred Ndidi and Liverpool have an admirer in Wout Weghorst. As for Ndidi possibly swapping Leicester City for Man United, a report from Nigeria says that the Foxes will not sell the holding midfielder who has flourished during. Read more
Conor McGregor teases Floyd Mayweather rematch again following Mike Tyson praise (RT)
UFC star Conor McGregor has once again hinted at an imminent return to the boxing ring against old foe Floyd Mayweather after the Irishman tweeted that he was “excited” about a sequel fight with the undefeated legend.
McGregor was defeated by 10th round TKO in his August 2017 professional boxing debut against Mayweather in a contest dubbed “The Money Fight”, but he has repeatedly claimed since that a second bout between the two would have a far different outcome.
Despite being counted out by analysts prior to the fight, boxing novice McGregor impressed many observers in the opening rounds of the fight – outscoring the then 49-0 multiple-weight world champion early, before Mayweather asserted his authority in the later rounds. Read more
Tammy Abraham sends message to Hakim Ziyech over Chelsea transfer (Metro)
Tammy Abraham has sent a message of support to Ajax midfielder Hakim Ziyech ahead of his move to Chelsea. Chelsea agreed a £36.6 million deal with Ajax for Ziyech in February and the 26-year-old is due to arrive at Stamford Bridge in the next transfer window. The Morocco international is expected to make an instant impact for Frank Lampard’s side following his superb performances for Ajax in the last two seasons. Ziyech has scored 29 goals and registered 45 assists since the start of the 2019-19 campaign, and Abraham has told the midfielder he ‘can’t wait’ to link up with him at Stamford Bridge. Read more
African football’s youngest CEO seeks to grow ‘Ghana’s biggest club’ (BBC)
Aged 27, Emmanuel Frimpong has become African football’s youngest Chief Executive – taking the role at Ashanti Gold following the departure of Frederick Acheampong.
Having achieved that – his father is the club’s owner – he has set his target on making Ashanti Gold the biggest club in Ghana.
The president of Ashanti Gold wanted someone who had the club’s interest at heart and looked no further than his son.
“I’m regarded as the youngest CEO in African football. It is a privilege but it is a big task,” Frimpong Jr told BBC Sport Africa.
“I know I am going to get the job done. I am going to get Ashanti Gold to the next level.” .
Frimpong said his ambitions for the club include having having at least five players who are part of the Ghana national team, the Black Stars. Read more
Alex Song reveals he left Arsenal for Barcelona for money (Metro)
Alex Song has admitted he left Arsenal for Barcelona for the money and ‘didn’t give a f***’ about his playing time at Camp Nou. The 32-year-old spent seven seasons with the Gunners, making over 200 appearances for the north London club. Song made the switch to Barca for £15 million in the summer of 2012, but only played 65 times for the Spanish club in four years. The Cameroon international confessed that he was careless with his spending during his time at Arsenal, and when Barcelona offered him a mega-money contract, he didn’t hesitate for a second. Read more
Project Restart: Premier League plan surprise inspections during training (BBC)
Surprise inspections, GPS tracking and video analysis are methods that could be used to ensure clubs adhere to new safety guidance as they prepare for the resumption of the Premier League.
Teams agreed to start non-contact training in small groups from Tuesday.
“Gradually, we aim to ramp that up so we can have an inspector at every training ground,” said Richard Garlick, the league’s director of football.
“That will enable us to give confidence the protocols are being complied with.”
He added: “We are looking at bringing in our own independent audit inspection team that we’ll scale up over the next few days which will give us the ability to have inspections at training grounds to start with on a no-notice basis.” Read more