‘Pregnancy’ stopped kidnappers from raping my wife, says victim (Nation)
Mr Gbenga Ibikunle, who was kidnapped alongside his wife at Uso village along the Akure-Owo highway has said that his wife lied she was pregnant to avoid her being raped by her abductors.
Ibikunle, his wife and three children were returning from Ebonyi when the kidnappers struck.
The kidnappers took the couple and locked the children inside the car.
Ibikunle who spoke to journalists in Akure said they were released after three days in captivity. Read more
LASU appoints Damola Oke acting vice chancellor (ThisDay)
The Senate of the Lagos State University has appointed Damola Oke as the acting vice-chancellor of the institution.
His appointment followed an emergency senate meeting held on Monday. Before his appointment, Oke was the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Administration.
The appointment follows a protracted crisis over the appointment of a substantive VC for the institution, a situation which forced the Lagos State Governor and Visitor to Lagos State University, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to cancel the ongoing selection process set up by the governing council of the university.
The governor had directed that a fresh process that would terminate in 45 days should commence immediately. Read more
Police to impound vehicles with ESCORT, PILOT, SPY as plate numbers (Vanguard)
Henceforth, any vehicle in Lagos State which has PILOT or ESCORT as plate number will be impounded and the policemen attached to it arrested.
This warning was handed down by the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, CP Hakeem Odumosu, over the weekend, at the command’s headquarters, Ikeja. Enforcement of this order according to him, would begin in high brow areas like Victoria Island, Ikoyi, among others.
In addition, the command boss said the use of SPY plate numbers by some eminent persons in the state would no longer be tolerated, describing the action as illegal and unconstitutional.
Odumosu who had earlier banned the use of covered plate number by Lagosians frowned at the brazen disregard by some Lagosians. Read more
DSS alleges plot to incite religious violence in Lagos, Kano, others (Punch)
The Department of State Services has alleged that there is a plot to incite religious violence in Sokoto, Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Rivers, Oyo, Lagos, and some states in the South East.
This was contained in a statement by Head, Public Relations Officer, Department of State Services, Peter Afunanya, titled, ‘Plots to incite religious violence in Nigeria’, on Monday.
The DSS also warned that some worship centres and religious leaders may be attacked.
The statement read, “The Department of State Services wishes to alert the public about plans by some elements working with external forces to incite religious violence across the country. Targeted States include Sokoto, Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Rivers, Oyo, Lagos and those in the South East. Read more
COVID-19 stalls Lagos-Ibadan rail inauguration, says Amaechi (Guardian)
Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi has said that the inauguration of the Lagos-Ibadan rail line has been put on hold due to the upsurge of COVID-19 in the country.
Amaechi, who disclosed this in Abuja, said that over 60 staff on the project site have been infected by Covid19 while trying to complete the project.
“First let us admit that over 60 of our staff, not the ministry of transport staff, but the staff working on the rail project have been infected by COVID-19. Luckily nobody has died and I pray nobody will die, but you see the kind of sacrifice everybody is making to get the rail to function. Read more
Another set of Kano’s missing children found in Anambra (DailyTrust)
Kano state Government on Monday said another set of children declared missing in the state have been found in Anambra State.
The state’s Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba told BBC Hausa on Monday that some of the parents of these children have since recognised them.
37 burnt to death in Bauchi, Nasarawa road crashes
First Bank unveils virtual payment card
He said the committee established by the state to uncover frequent cases of missing children discovered them after visiting some orphanage homes in Anambra and Enugu states of Southestern Nigeria.
“We snapped and videotaped these children in search of their parent, and five parents have already recognised their children from the video,” Garba said. Read more
Police arrest female NYSC member who murdered boyfriend (Punch)
The Akwa Ibom State Police Command said it has arrested one lady, Chidinma Oduma Pascaline, a serving female youth corps member who allegedly killed a man suspected to be her boyfriend.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, Odiko Macdon, who confirmed the arrest while speaking with our correspondent on Monday said the Commissioner of Police, Andrew Amiengheme, has ordered a discreet investigation into the matter.
He said as soon as the police is done with the investigation the matter would be charged to court.
“The lady has been arrested by the police and she is already in our custody. The Police Commissioner has ordered a thorough investigation into the matter and as soon as the investigation is over the matter will be charged to court,” Macdon said. Read more
Sanusi urges Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine when available (DailyTrust)
Former Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi ll, has called on Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine whenever it is available in the country.
Sanusi made this call on Sunday at a sensitization lecture with Nigerian medical personnel living in the diaspora via zoom.
Another set of Kano’s missing children found in Anambra
Kano Pillars FC declares player missing
He expressed the need for leaders to sensitize the general public on the importance of the vaccine, adding that only enlightenment and awareness campaigns will make people believe in the reality of the disease.
“Leaders should come out and demonstrate example to the people. They should receive the vaccine publicly so that it will serve as an example and it will make them believe in the reality of the disease.” Read more
NIN: Beware of fake app, NIMC warns Nigerians (Punch)
The National Identity Management Commission has warned the public to beware of a fake app that claims to help link the National Identity Number to SIM cards.
In a post on its Twitter handle, NIMC dissociated itself from the app saying it is run by fraudsters who use it to harvest people’s NIN and Bank Verification Number.
“The app was not created by NIMC or the Federal Government of Nigeria. It is run by fraudsters who are currently harvesting people’s NINs and BVNs by default,” NIMC said. Read more
Richard Branson’s mum Eve dies aged 96 after COVID battle (Metro)
Sir Richard Branson’s mum Eve has died aged 96 after battling coronavirus. The Virgin Group founder confirmed the news today by sharing a blog he’d written in celebration of his mum’s life. Tweeting the piece, he said: ‘I’m sorry to share that, sadly like a lot of people’s mums and dads right now in these days of Covid, my mum Eve has also passed away. ‘Rather than mourn her loss, I wanted to celebrate her wonderful life and the joy she brought to so many.’ Further detailing Eve’s battle with the Covid, Sir Richard described how his mother had ‘held on for one last victory, managing to fight off the virus, but expended all of her energy in the process. Read more
Sex and the City: New series announced without Kim Cattrall (BBC)
A Sex and the City revival is heading to the small screen, more than 20 years after the hit series made its debut.
The original HBO show followed the lives of four New York women negotiating work and relationships in the late 90s and early 2000s.
But only three of the fab four are returning for the new TV series – Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis.
Kim Cattrall, who played the popular character Samantha, will not feature. Read more
Ethiopia says it killed 15 Tigray forces, captured 8 (AlJazeera)
Ethiopia’s military has said it killed 15 members of the Tigray region’s former ruling party and captured eight others.
Citing a brigadier-general from Ethiopia’s National Defense Force, the state-run Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation said on Sunday those captured included the region’s former president Abay Weldu, who was also a former chairman of the region’s ruling party.
UN fears ‘massive’ COVID transmission in Ethiopia’s Tigray
Those killed included the region’s former deputy police commissioner, it said. Read more
Ugandans warned not to eat dead fish washed ashore (BBC)
The authorities in Uganda are investigating the cause of a large-scale death of fish on Lake Victoria – Africa’s largest fresh water reservoir.
The fisheries ministry has warned the public not to eat the dead fish and to instead bury them.
Photos posted on social media by local residents show dozens of lifeless fish washed up ashore at Lake Victoria, as well as Lake Kyoga and River Nile.
Officials say the deaths may be caused by a drop in oxygen levels. Read more
US Army investigating officer who led group to Washington, DC rally (AlJazeera)
The US Army is investigating a psychological operations officer who led a group of people from North Carolina to the rally in Washington, DC that led up to the deadly riot in the US Capitol by supporters of President Donald Trump.
Commanders at Fort Bragg are reviewing Captain Emily Rainey’s involvement in last week’s events in the nation’s capital, but she said she acted within military regulations and that no one in her group broke the law.
“I was a private citizen and doing everything right and within my rights,” Rainey told The Associated Press news agency on Sunday. Read more
Beny Steinmetz: Mining tycoon in Swiss trial over Guinea deal (BBC)
A billionaire French-Israeli diamond magnate, Beny Steinmetz, has arrived in court in Switzerland to face trial over alleged corruption linked to a major mining deal in Guinea.
He has always denied his company, BSGR, paid multi-million dollar bribes to obtain iron ore mining exploration permits in southern Guinea in 2008.
He travelled to Geneva from Israel for the two-week trial.
If convicted he could face up to 10 years in prison. Read more
Melania Trump condemns violence at DC riots, offers condolences for victims (NYPost)
First lady Melania Trump condemned the violence from last week’s riot at the US Capitol and offered her condolences for the lives lost in the mayhem, including the Capitol Police officer who was beaten on the line of defense.
“Our Nation must heal in a civil manner. Make no mistake about it, I absolutely condemn the violence that has occurred on our Nation’s Capitol. Violence is never acceptable,” she wrote in a post titled “Our Path Forward” released on her @FLOTUS Twitter account Monday.
“I implore people to stop the violence, never make assumptions based on the color of a person’s skin or use differing political ideologies as a basis for aggression and viciousness. We must listen to one another, focus on what unites us, and rise above what divides us,” she wrote. Read more
Finidi George: Ex-Super Eagles star undeterred by Nigeria coaching rejections (BBC)
Former Nigeria international Finidi George says he will continue to put himself forward for national coaching roles despite being overlooked twice.
The 49-year-old retired from playing in 2004 after a 15-year career, which included winning the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations as well as three league titles and the 1995 European Champions League with Dutch giants Ajax.
After concluding his internship at Dutch minnows PEC Zwolle as part of his coaching course, George has been seeking an opportunity to manage at youth level in the West African nation after twice failing to get the nod for the Under-17 job.
“I’m very disappointed but I understand the Nigerian system quite well,” George told BBC Sport Africa.
“It’s a matter of having the patience. So I’m open continue to improve myself with the hope of getting a chance to coach one of the country’s youth teams. Read more
Tottenham to play Fulham on Wednesday instead of Coronavirus-hit Aston Villa (Metro)
The Premier League have officially postponed Tottenham’s clash with coronavirus-hit Aston Villa on Wednesday and Spurs will now play Fulham instead. Jose Mourinho’s side were due to travel to Villa Park in two days’ time for their league clash but the match could not go ahead after an outbreak of Covid-19 at the West Midlands club’s training ground, which was forced to shut. Villa opted to field their Under-23s and Under-18s in Friday’s FA Cup clash with Liverpool, rather than risk forfeiting the tie. But Premier League rules are different and teams can postpone fixtures if they do not have 14 fit and available first-team players – which is the case for Villa after nine players tested positive for coronavirus less than 10 days ago. Read more
LA Lakers win fifth game on the road (BBC)
The Los Angeles Lakers continued their unbeaten run on the road with a comfortable victory over the Houston Rockets.
Anthony Davis scored 27 points on his return from injury to help the Lakers to a 120-102 victory.
Defending champions Lakers have won all five of their away games this season.
Elsewhere, Kawhi Leonard surpassed 10,000 career points as the Los Angeles Clippers beat the Chicago Bulls.
Leonard scored 21 points in the third quarter as the Clippers rallied to win 130-127. Read more
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer explains Manchester United’s January transfer window plans (Metro)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not expect Manchester United to have a busy January transfer window, though says the club would be prepared to act if a long-term target became available. The Red Devils have already been active this month, securing a £36million deal for Atalanta teenager Amad Diallo, and have utilised the winter window in the past – notably last year when they signed Bruno Fernandes from Sporting. But Solskjaer has suggested their incoming business may already be finished unless one of their top targets suddenly becomes available, though there could be plenty of outgoings. Amad Diallo is likely to be United’s only January recruit (Picture: Getty) Asked if January will be an opportunistic window for United, Solskjaer said on Monday: ‘Well I think the signings that we made in the summer strengthened the squad really well. Read more
European Cups will not be abandoned, say organisers (BBC)
This season’s European Cups will not be abandoned if the French government decides its clubs cannot play their remaining pool fixtures, the competitions’ chief executive says.
Two rounds of Heineken Champions Cup and Challenge Cup pool games on the weekends of 15-17 and 22-24 January are in doubt as authorities consider the impact of a new strain of Covid-19.
But European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) chief executive Vincent Gaillard is confident the tournaments can be completed in April and May. Read more
LaMelo Ball makes NBA history with his first triple-double (NYPost)
LaMelo Ball isn’t wasting any time making an impact in the NBA.
The rookie point guard became the youngest player in league history to record a triple-double, with 22 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists on Saturday night, helping the Charlotte Hornets beat the Atlanta Hawks 113-105 for their third straight win.
“A 19-year-old rookie does not look like this,” Hornets coach James Borrego said. “This is rare what you’re seeing.”
Ball’s history-making performance came just two nights after he missed out on his first triple-double when he finished with 12 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists in a win over his brother Lonzo’s New Orleans Pelicans. Read more