Prophet rapes eight-month pregnant lady during private deliverance session (Punch)
A self-acclaimed prophet, Festus James, has been arrested by men of the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly raping a woman with eight months’ pregnancy.
The suspect was said to have committed the offence at Agbabu community in the Odigbo Local Government Area of the state.
Parading the suspect at the command headquarters in Akure, the state capital, on Thursday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, said James had carnal knowledge of the woman under the pretext of performing spiritual deliverance for her.
She said, “James from Ibadan in Oyo State went to Agbabu village via Ore, claimed to be a prophet and that the holy spirit directed him to have a three days holy ghost revival in a church in the village. Read more
Iheanacho, Oshoala, Ndidi Give N1m Each As Davido Rakes In N185m (Independent)
Asisat Oshoala, Kelechi Iheanacho, Wilfred Ndidi have all contributed N1 million each to Davido for the clearance of his Rolls Royce vehicle at the ports.
The footballers sent money to the fundraiser on Thursday, while Davido thanked them in a series of posts on his Instagram story.
Obafemi Martins, former Super Eagles striker, and Henry Onyekuru are other footballers who have contributed to the singer’s cause.
The donation wave started after Davido took to his Twitter page on Wednesday to solicit funds from his followers and fellow celebrities for the vehicle clearance.
With a target of N100 million, the ‘OBO’ crooner was able to gather over N114 million in six hours. Read more
We would have been praised if we accepted govt’s claims that hoodlums operated at Lekki tollgate – Panel member (Punch)
Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN), one of the members of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses and other matters, has said that members of the panel would have been praised if they had bought into the narrative of the government that hoodlums operated at the Lekki toll gate on October 20, 2020.
He also said that it was unfortunate that some agents of government have been attacking his integrity and those of other members of the panel since the submission of the report of their Lekki findings.
Adegboruwa made this known in a statement on Thursday titled, ‘EndSARS Panel: I acted on the mandate of the governor’.
The PUNCH had earlier reported that the Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel submitted its report to the Lagos State Government, noting that at least nine persons were confirmed dead at the Lekki toll plaza when soldiers stormed the tollgate to disperse EndSARS protesters on October 20, 2020. Read more
‘Lagos Requires $15bn For Infrastructure Over The Next 5yrs’ (DailyTrust)
Given the rising population and limited geographical space, Lagos State will require about $15 billion over the next five years for infrastructure, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has said.
Sanwo-Olu who spoke at the third Lagos Investors’ Roundtable and launching of Deal Book organised by the Office of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Investment called on investors to optimise the opportunities in the State towards developing a 21st Century economy.
“We believe that given the rising population and limited geography space that we have, Lagos will indeed require about $15bn over the next five years on infrastructure alone. $15bn is about five times the budget that we currently have. Lagos budget is about $3bn today,” he said.
The governor called for partnership with investors and the private sector, stressing that the implementation of the development strategies of his administration demands partnership and contributions of private investors.
He said, “We strongly believe that the continued growth and success of Lagos is premised on the strength and diversity of our partnerships. It is such strategic partnerships that account for Lagos being by far the leading recipient of local and foreign direct investments in Nigeria. It is estimated that, in the last few years, about 80percent of the investments into Nigeria, has come into Lagos,” Read more
Demand for Kanu’s release difficult, but I’d consider, Buhari tells Igbo leaders (Guardian)
President Muhammadu Buhari has said the demand for an unconditional release of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, is a difficult one, but he would consider the demand made by “highly respected Igbo greats.”
He said an unconditional release of the leader of the outlawed group, currently standing trial, runs contrary to the doctrine of separation of powers between the Executive and Judiciary.
Receiving a group under the aegis of Highly Respected Igbo Greats, led by First Republic parliamentarian and Minister of Aviation, Chief Mbazulike Amaechi, at State House, Abuja, President Buhari said. “You’ve made an extremely difficult demand on me as leader of this country. The implication of your request is very serious.
“In the last six years, since I became President, nobody would say I have confronted or interfered in the work of the Judiciary. God has spared you, and given you a clear head at this age, with very sharp memory. A lot of people half your age are confused already. But the demand you made is heavy. I will consider it.” Read more
Troops repel ISWAP attack in Damboa LGA of Borno (Vanguard)
Troops of 25 Task Force Brigade of the ‘Operation Hadin Kai’ in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno state have successfully repelled an attack by a group of Islamic State of West Africa Province, ISWAP in the early hours of Friday.
Damboa in the southern Borno senatorial district is about 85km drive from Maiduguri, the state capital.
Just a few days ago, a Brigade Commander based in Chibok, Brigadier General Dzarma Zirkusu alongside 4 soldiers were killed in an ambush while on a reinforcement mission to save Askira Uba Local Government Area from ISWAP invasion.
Sources said, at about 6 am, the insurgents armed with gun trucks and Armoured Personnel Carrier came through Kala village situated along the 180km Maiduguri-Damboa-Biu road which was closed down for motorists many years ago. Read more
“P-Square” reconcile after years of feuding (Guardian)
Musical twin brothers P-Square have reconciled, putting an end to their years-long bitter feud.
The duo Peter and Paul Okoye split in 2017 after falling out over a family dispute.
In a post on Instagram on Thursday, the two jointly celebrated their 40th birthday, publicly announcing to followers that they were back together.
In 2015, P-Square were named Artist of the Decade by MTV Africa.
However, it is unclear whether the siblings will release new music. However, fans who have been clamouring for their reconciliation are currently celebrating and want new music from the duo.
Fans are currently hoping for more hits like Do Me, Chop My Money and Bizzybody, which catapulted the pair to fame across the continent and beyond. Read more
Graduates yet to take COVID-19 vaccine won’t be allowed into camps – NYSC (Vanguard)
THE National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has said graduates who have not taken COVID-19 vaccine jabs won’t be allowed into its offices and orientation camps.
NYSC’s Director, Press and Public Relations, Adenike Adeyemi (Mrs), disclosed this at a briefing in Abuja on Friday ahead of the 2021 Batch C, Stream II, orientation course slated to begin on November 24.
She also said, henceforth, each graduate seeking absorption into the Scheme’s orientation exercise must present a Certificate of Fitness from a Government or Military Hospital affixed with a Nigeria Medical Association Stamp.
According to her, the new policy was to establish the health status of prospective corps members before they are registered for the mandatory national service. Read more
World Toilet Day: 46m Nigerians still defecate in the open, says UNICEF (Guardian)
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says the rate of open defecation in Nigeria had remained steady at 23 per cent, with an estimated 46 million Nigerians still defecating in the open.
UNICEF Representative in Nigeria, Mr Peter Hawkins, made the disclosure in a statement, issued on Friday, in Lagos, to commemorate World Toilet Day, marked annually on Nov. 19.
Hawkins said that there had been limited progress over the past two years in the fight against open defecation in Nigeria.
“It is clear that more needs to be done to ensure that all Nigerians have access to safe toilets and that we shift closer to ending open defecation across the country.
“With the Clean Nigeria campaign, we are making strong efforts, but the whole country needs to put their full weight behind this campaign. Read more
Scarlett Johansson working on ‘top secret’ project with Marvel boss Kevin Feige weeks after Disney lawsuit (Metro)
Scarlett Johansson and Marvel boss Kevin Feige are working together on a ‘top secret’ project – but it’s nothing to do with Black Widow.
Just weeks after the actress settled her lawsuit with Disney following a dispute over Black Widow’s streaming release, the Natasha Romanoff actress is teaming up with Marvel once again.
This week she was honoured as the 35th recipient of the American Cinematheque Award.
According to Deadline, during his speech, Feige praised her talent and vision as an actress and producer, and also teased a ‘top secret Marvel Studios project’ which the pair are teaming up for. Read more
Why Christopher Nolan’s $100 Million WWII Drama ‘Oppenheimer’ Could Be the Last of Its Kind (Variety)
Christopher Nolan’s next movie “Oppenheimer,” a $100 million-budgeted historical drama about physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer and the creation of the atomic bomb, could be considered one of an endangered species.
These days, it’s rare for traditional studios to pump nine figures into a film that isn’t inspired by popular toys, novels or comic books. Even before COVID-19 upended the moviegoing landscape, audiences had been gravitating toward superheroes and science-fiction spectacles — and not much else. That reality has made it increasingly difficult for Hollywood to justify the economics of greenlighting expensive movies that aren’t based on existing intellectual property. They’re a bigger risk, not only in recouping investments for studios, but also in generating profits, spawning sequels and leveraging consumer product riches. No matter how well people receive Nolan’s film, it’s unlikely J. Robert Oppenheimer’s face will adorn t-shirts or lunch boxes.Read more
Austria to go into full lockdown as Covid surges (BBC)
One in three Austrians is not yet vaccinated, one of the lowest rates in Western Europe
Days after Austria imposed a lockdown on the unvaccinated, it has announced a full national Covid-19 lockdown starting on Monday.
Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said it would last a maximum of 20 days and there would be a legal requirement to get vaccinated from 1 February 2022.
He was responding to record case numbers and one of the lowest vaccination levels in Western Europe.
Many other European countries are imposing restrictions as cases rise. Read more
Harris to take over as Biden undergoes anesthesia for colonoscopy before 79th birthday (NYPost)
President Biden will temporarily transfer power to Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday morning while he undergoes a colonoscopy, the White House said.
“This morning, the President will travel to Walter Reed Medical Center for a routine physical. While he is there, the President will undergo a routine colonoscopy,” press secretary Jen Psaki said.
“As was the case when President George W. Bush had the same procedure in 2002 and 2007, and following the process set out in the Constitution, President Biden will transfer power to the Vice President for the brief period of time when he is under anesthesia. The Vice President will work from her office in the West Wing during this time.”
Psaki had earlier only said he would undergo a routine physical at Walter Reed.
The procedure was not on Biden’s original public schedule, but was announced by Psaki in a brief morning statement. Read more
Batman and Spider-Man collide in the best way as Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland grab dinner together (Metro)
Fans finally got the Batman and Spider-Man crossover they were waiting for (kind of) as Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland stepped out together this week.
The actors were seen heading to San Vincente Bungalows in West Hollywood to get dinner together on Thursday along with The Flash director Andres Muschetti.
Robert, 35, was seen wearing navy jeans and a dark jacket and kept his face mask on as he left the restaurant.
Tom, 25, chose beige trousers which he paired with an orange knitted jumper and colourful trainers, and was seen being followed by fans who attempted to get a selfie with him on his way to his waiting car. Read more
Don Johnson, 71, says his sex life has gotten better with age (NYPost)
More like Don Juan-son.
Like a fine wine, Don Johnson’s sex life has apparently gotten better with age. During a Wednesday appearance on “Radio Andy,” the 71-year-old “Miami Vice” star said that his prowess in the boudoir has improved over the years, and that he’s gotten sparkling reviews from his ex-lovers, who include the likes of Melanie Griffith and Cybil Shepherd, the Daily Mail reported.
When asked by host Andy Cohen, 53, if his sex drive remains as active as in his youth, Johnson replied with a straightforward “yes.”
The Golden Globe winner insisted that not only did his appetite for nookie not wane but that he “never” wished it would. Read more
Jimmy Hoffa: Deathbed confession sparks long-missing US union boss body hunt (BBC)
FBI agents have searched a plot of land in the US state of New Jersey after a deathbed confession renewed hope of solving union boss Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance 50 years ago.
For decades, Hoffa was one of America’s most powerful labour organisers.
But in 1975 he suddenly disappeared, and his body has never been recovered.
Investigators recently received a tip that a former worker on a landfill site in Jersey City had said that his father told him he had buried Hoffa’s body. Read more
Stephen Curry hits 40 points in Golden State Warriors win over Cleveland Cavaliers (BBC)
Stephen Curry scored 40 points, including 20 in the fourth quarter, to help the Golden State Warriors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 104-89.
The Warriors started the final quarter 13 points down, but Curry’s fine streak saw them outscore Cleveland 36-8 in 12 minutes to secure victory on the road.
Curry’s side have the best record in the NBA, with 13 wins and two losses.
“He’s one of the greatest players in the history of the game,” said Warriors coach Steve Kerr.
“He’s always capable of catching fire like that. As amazing as it was, it didn’t shock me because this is what he does.” Read more
Paralympic gold medalist, Paul Kehinde, dies five weeks after doping ban (Punch)
The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games gold medalist and world record-holder in the men’s 65kg para-powerlifting category, Paul Kehinde, popularly called Olumi Agberin, is dead.
The PUNCH gathered that he died at 33 after a brief illness.
A media attache to Nigeria Paralympic Federation, Fred Edoreh, confirmed his death on Friday.
When contacted, he said, “Yes, he is dead. He died yesterday (Thursday) and will be buried in Epe today.”
At 2016 Summer Olympics, Kehinde took the gold with a lift of 218kg and set a world and Paralympic record of 220kg with a bonus effort. Read more
Mikel Arteta confirms Arsenal are ready to take risk with Alexandre Lacazette’s future (Metro)
There will be no talks over a new contract for Alexandre Lacazette until the end of the season, says Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta, putting the Gunners at risk of losing the forward.
The 30-year-old’s current contract expires in the summer, meaning he is free to talk to clubs outside of England from January onwards.
It is not clear whether Arsenal want to keep the Frenchman beyond this season or not, but Arteta dismissed rumours that he has been offered a new deal and says there will be discussions at the end of the campaign.
Whether that is actually the plan, Lacazette’s future could have been secured before then if he chooses to negotiate elsewhere. Read more
Enes Kanter rips ‘disgusting’ LeBron James over Nike connection (NYPost)
Enes Kanter continued his war against Nike on Thursday, sparing no words while ripping into LeBron James.
Kanter, who has previously accused Nike of telling a “total lie” about China’s alleged use of slave labor to produce its products, aimed this round at Nike’s biggest star.
Money over Morals for the ‘King,’ ” the Celtics center tweeted Thursday morning. “Sad & disgusting how these athletes pretend they care about social justice.”
The tweet included an image of several pairs of sneakers designed to question the NBA’s partnership with China. Read more
NBC seals reported $2.7billion Premier League US rights deal (Guardian)
The Premier League and US broadcaster NBC agreed on a new six-year rights deal on Thursday worth a reported $2.7 billion, underscoring the English top-flight’s status as the most valuable overseas league in the United States.
A statement released by the Premier League and NBC said the new agreement would run until 2028 and would include all 380 matches each season.
The deal also includes exclusive rights for Spanish language broadcasts in the US.
The blockbuster deal extends a partnership between the Premier League and NBC which began in 2013.
No figures for the new deal were revealed but the New York Times said NBC had outbid rivals with an offer worth $2.7 billion over six years.
If confirmed, that number more than doubles the $1.1 billion the network paid the Premier League for its previous agreement. Read more
Kevin de Bruyne: Manchester City playmaker tests positive for Covid-19 (BBC)
Manchester City playmaker Kevin de Bruyne has tested positive for Covid-19 on his return from international duty.
The 30-year-old will isolate for 10 days, meaning he will miss Sunday’s Premier League match at home to Everton and Wednesday’s Champions League game against Paris St-Germain.
De Bruyne, who is vaccinated, scored for Belgium in their World Cup qualifying draw with Wales on Tuesday.
“The symptoms will be minor hopefully,” said City manager Pep Guardiola.
“As soon as possible, he can come back. We do not worry about what we are going to miss. The person is more important. We have to help him and hope it goes well while he’s isolated.” Read more
Antonio Conte fires clear warning to Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele (Metro)
Antonio Conte has warned Tanguy Ndombele that he must work harder than any other Tottenham player.
The 24-year-old has struggled to make an impact since joining Spurs from Lyon in a €60 million (£53.8m) deal in 2019.
Ndombele was keen to leave Spurs in the summer but ended up remaining at the club and now faces a tough battle to secure a regular role in Conte’s midfield.
Conte believes Ndombele ‘has the quality’ to be a success at Spurs but insists the midfielder must follow his tactical instructions. Read more