Sanwo-Olu lifts curfew in Lagos (Punch)
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has lifted the curfew imposed on the state with immediate effect.
This was contained in a press statement by the Lagos Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, on Saturday.
Sanwo-Olu had announced the imposition of the curfew on Tuesday, October 20, in the wake of the unrest in the state.
Hoodlums had taken advantage of the #EndSARS protests against police brutality and extrajudicial killings to wreak havoc and cause mayhem in the state. Read more
Lagos community where potable water, good toilet, school, hospital don’t exist (Vanguard)
“Find your way to Agboyi Road at Alapere, Ketu, Lagos State. Follow the road down. Take a boat to Agboyi 2”, reads the direction given to locate this Lagos community.
Anybody scared of water might not like here. While those interested in a sea tour might find it interesting at first, they will be disgusted when filled in on the number of defecations passed into the river by residents of the surrounding community.
The community, Agboyi 2, Agboyi-Odo Community, Agboyi Ketu CDA, Lagos State is a residence of peaceful Nigerians who predominantly fish for a living. Read more
Lagos community groans as groundwater contamination causes acute scarcity (Punch)
Igando New Town, off the Isheri-Iba LASU Road, is a community whose landscape is defined by the presence of abandoned water tanks, taps and wells with rustic appearance.
Notoriety of the area lies more in the choking, putrid stench that hangs thickly in the air.
The smell emanates from the Okofili dumpsites that sit massively on 7.8 and five hectares of land respectively.
Residents allege that the dumpsites have made life in the area a living nightmare for them, especially those under the Owodunni Community Development Area. Read more
TVC refutes claims of job loss (Guardian)
Contrary to allegations in some quarters, the Chief Executive Officer of TVC Communications; owners of TVC, TVC News, Max FM (Lagos and Abuja) and Adaba FM, Andrew Hanlon, yesterday stated that the jobs of all its 550 employees are safe and secure.
Hanlon made the announcement following reports, which suggested that 250 jobs were lost, due to arson attack on its studios in Ikosi-Ketu, Lagos last week.
He said: “The reference to 250 jobs related to those of our employees, who had been physically displaced, due to the fire at our premises. This does not mean those same employees had subsequently lost their jobs, due to the fire. All of our staff remain with us, and have merely now been relocated to temporary offices, while we build a bigger and better television studio complex.” Read more
FCTA moves to revamp its social welfare system (Vanguard)
The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), on Saturday in Abuja, said it would revamp its Social Welfare System to better serve the less privileged in the territory.
Mrs Dilichukwu Onyedinma, Chairperson, FCT Ministerial Advisory Committee on the Status of Social Development Service, disclosed this in a statement issued by Mrs Josie Mudasiru, Assistant Director, Information, FCTA.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the committee was set up by the Minister Of State, Dr Ramatu Aliyu, to carry out a viability assessment of all social welfare facilities in the six Area Councils, to determine their status. Read more
20 feared dead as truck runs into Ondo market (Punch)
Many people were feared killed in a road accident that occured at Ibaka area of Akungba Akoko, Akoko South-West Local Government Area of Ondo State on Saturday evening .
It was gathered that the accident involved a trailer which veered into a market, killing many people.
According to an eyewitness, the trailer loaded with bags of rice had a brake failure, causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle and entered into a market where it killed many people. Read more
Makinde extols Ekefa Olubadan’s virtues at 70 (Guardian)
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde has congratulated the Ekefa Olubadan of Ibadan, Oloye Lekan Alabi, on the occasion of his 70th birthday anniversary.
Born on October 27, 1950 to the aristocratic Ekerin-Ojengbe family of Ibadan, Alabi was Chief Press Secretary to late Chief Bola Ige and General Manager, Corporate Affairs of Odu’a Investment Limited.
During his visit to Governor Makinde last Tuesday, the celebrant presented his biography titled, ‘Oloye Lekan Alabi and Unbelievable Life.’
The governor, describing Alabi as a quintessential journalist with sterling qualities, said, “It was our pleasure to receive Oloye Lekan Alabi, the Ekefa Olubadan and his entourage, who paid us a courtesy visit this morning. Read more
Some govt officials are fraudsters – Yemi Alade (Punch)
Singer, Yemi Alade, rarely talks about issues of national concern, but when she does, the Shekere singer delves into it with passion.
In the wake of the #EndSARS protests, the Effyzzie Music Group act had an Instagram Live session where she stated that government officials are the real fraudsters. She said, “You need to fear the Nigerian government because they are the real Yahoo (Internet fraudsters). They are the pioneers of Yahoo. Just write one email, sign one document and money would flow into your office. Is that not Yahoo? Sometimes, I cannot believe this is where we are. I also blame us (citizens) because we have adopted the ‘e go better’ mentality. Read more
Covid-19: PM announces four-week England lockdown (BBC)
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced a second national lockdown for England to prevent a “medical and moral disaster” for the NHS.
He said Christmas may be “very different” but he hoped taking action now would mean families can gather.
Pubs, restaurants, gyms and non-essential shops will have to close for four weeks from Thursday, he said.
But unlike the restrictions in spring, schools, colleges and universities can stay open.
After 2 December, the restrictions would be eased and regions would go back to the tiered system, he said. Read more
UK passes 1,000,000 coronavirus cases as 326 more people die (Metro)
More than a million cases of coronavirus have now been recorded in the UK, according to official figures. The grim milestone has been passed after another 21,915 new cases were added to the tally today. It means 1,011,660 people have now tested positive in total. The figures for the latest 24 hour period also showed another 326 people have died with the virus. This brings the total official death toll since the start of the pandemic to 46,555. In reality, the country has likely seen far more cases than have been officially recorded. Hundreds of thousands were missed due to a lack of tests in March and April and many more cases were never diagnosed because people didn’t display any symptoms. Read more
Austria’s Kurz vows to fight ‘political Islam’ after Turkish teens rampage through Vienna church (RT)
Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz has said that his government will not tolerate religious extremism after dozens of Turkish youths reportedly stormed through a church in Vienna.
Between 30 and 50 Turkish teenagers are said to have rampaged through the Catholic Church of St. Anton von Padua in Vienna-Favoriten. According to local media reports, the youths shouted “Allahu akbar” as they kicked benches and the church’s confessional. The youths scattered after the pastor called the police.
Writing on Twitter about the rowdy flash mob, the Austrian chancellor said that all Christians in the country must be able to “exercise their faith freely and safely.” Read more
Orthodox priest shot and wounded at French church (BBC)
A Greek Orthodox priest has been seriously wounded in a shooting in the French city of Lyon, officials say.
The gunman fled the scene, sparking a manhunt. A suspect resembling witness descriptions was later taken into custody.
The motive for the attack remains unclear. Authorities have opened an investigation of attempted murder.
The incident came days after three people were killed in a knife attack at a church in the southern city of Nice. Read more
Police arrest Lyon church shooting suspect as mayor says motive ‘still unknown’ (RT)
French police have detained the alleged shooter who injured a Greek Orthodox priest using a hunting rifle in the city of Lyon on Saturday as he was locking the church.
The suspect was detained at a diner in the city several hours after the incident. He was reportedly eating a kebab when police approached him, but didn’t have the sawn-off hunting rifle allegedly used in the attack.
Local prosecutors have confirmed that a person matching the description of the shooter by witnesses has been placed in custody. He is undergoing checks for “his possible involvement” in the attack. Read more
Hugh Jackman and Piers Morgan lead showbiz tributes as Sir Sean Connery dies aged 90 (Metro)
Sir Sean Connery has died aged 90. BBC states the iconic James Bond star’s family confirmed the news of his death. Following the sad update, famous faces from around the world rushed to pay tribute to the 007 legend. Hugh Jackman said: ‘I grew up idolising #SeanConnery. A legend on screen, and off. Rest In Peace.’ Piers Morgan shared: ‘RIP Sir Sean Connery, 90. The first James Bond. The best James Bond. ‘What sad news.’ Read more
Typhoon Goni: Philippines hit by year’s most powerful storm (BBC)
Typhoon Goni, Asia’s most powerful typhoon this year, has made landfall in the Philippines with maximum sustained winds of 225km/h (140mph).
The state weather service said the typhoon hit Catanduanes island on Sunday at 04:50 local time (19:50 GMT Saturday).
It has since crossed onto the main island of Luzon, where the capital Manila is located.
Almost a million people have been evacuated from their homes. Read more
Obaseki pledges safety of players, visitors in Benin (Guardian)
Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has assured of the safety and security of the Super Eagles players, supporters and visitors to the state for the 2021 AFCON qualifier against the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone. The match holds at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, Benin City.
The game doubles as the first competitive match for the Super Eagles since the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the first major competitive game to hold at the stadium since it’s reconstruction.
The match will be played on November 13, a day after the inauguration of Governor Obaseki and his Deputy, Phillip Shaibu, for their second term in office. Read more
Oleksandr Usyk beats Derek Chisora on points in stylish display (BBC)
Oleksandr Usyk delivered a stylish and measured display to pick apart Derek Chisora in a points win that underlined his credentials at heavyweight.
The former unified world cruiserweight champion moved with grace and picked punches beautifully to frustrate his British rival over 12 rounds.
An attack in the seventh sent Chisora staggering to the ropes as Usyk found ways to land while on the move.
Chisora worked hard but had no reply and lost 117-112 115-113 115-113. Read more
Premier League football to continue despite second lockdown (Metro)
The Premier League will continue despite the government’s decision on Saturday evening to enter a second period of national lockdown as the coronavirus crisis worsens. Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed the country will implement a four-week lockdown in an attempt to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and protect the NHS from being overwhelmed. The Premier League was forced to postpone matches between March 9 and June 17 earlier this year to fall in line with government guidelines but the safety protocols and testing procedures that have been put in place will prevent another suspension. Read more
Liverpool go top after Jota winner against West Ham (BBC)
Substitute Diogo Jota scored for the third straight game as Liverpool came from behind to beat in-form West Ham and go top of the Premier League table.
In an intriguing encounter, the Hammers took an early lead through Spanish midfielder Pablo Fornals’ smart finish, which clipped the post on its way in after a poor headed clearance by Joe Gomez.
That was the 15th goal Liverpool have conceded in seven games this season – as many as Chelsea let in all season on their way to the title in 2004-05.
Jurgen Klopp’s side were level shortly before half-time, Arthur Masuaku’s foul on Mohamed Salah allowing the Egypt forward to equalise from the penalty spot with Liverpool’s first attempt on target. Read more
Frank Lampard praises Hakim Ziyech’s performance for Chelsea in win over Burnley (Metro)
Frank Lampard has praised Hakim Ziyech’s performance in Chelsea’s 3-0 victory against Burnley and believes the summer signing from Ajax brings a different quality to his side’s attack. Chelsea announced they had agreed a £36m deal for the Moroccan attacker all the way back in February, though he suffered an injury before the start of the season which has hampered his involvement. After cameos off the bench against Southampton and Manchester United, Ziyech made his first Premier League start at Turf Moor and showed exactly why Chelsea brought him to west London. Read more
Hazard scores first goal in more than a year as Real go top of La Liga (BBC)
Eden Hazard scored his first goal for more than a year as Real Madrid moved to the top of La Liga with an emphatic win over Huesca.
The Belgian opened the scoring with a superb left-foot shot into the left corner from outside the penalty area.
France forward Karim Benzema scored twice for the hosts, with Uruguay midfielder Federico Valverde getting their other goal.
David Ferreiro scored the visitors’ only goal. Read more
Covid-free Cristiano Ronaldo back in Juventus squad for Sunday game (RT)
Juventus manager Andrea Pirlo has confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo will join his teammates in their trip to face Spezia on Sunday following his recovery from Covid-19, but he is unlikely to start the contest.
Ronaldo tested negative for the coronavirus on Friday, meaning he’s now eligible to play again after more than two weeks in self-isolation.
“Cristiano is fine, he wants to get back to working with his teammates and be with the squad,” Pirlo said of the superstar in his pre-match press conference on Saturday. Read more