Soldier kills Commander, 2 others, self in Sokoto (Leadership)
A soldier has gone berserk, killing his commander and two others before committing suicide at Forward Operating Base, Rabah, in Sokoto State.
The soldier, identified as Lance Corporal Nwobobo Chinoso of 223 Battalion Zuru, Kebbi State, was deployed at Forward Operating Base Rabah, Sokoto, where the incident happened at the residence of the Base Commander on Sunday.
He reportedly opened fire and killed the FOB Commander, Lt. T.I. Sam-Oladapo, two other soldiers including the Command Sergeant Major (CSM), Iliyasu Inusa and Private Attahiru Mohammed, before turning the gun on himself. Read more
Policeman standing trial over murder of Lagos lawyer knows fate on April 3 (Vanguard)
A Lagos High Court sitting at Tafawa Balewa Square, yesterday, adjourned till April 3, 2023, for ruling in a no-case submission filed by a police officer, Drambi Vandi, charged with the murder of a Lagos-based lawyer.
Vandi is standing trial on a one-count charge of shooting the Lagos lawyer, Mrs. Omobolanle Raheem, to death on December 25, 2022, at Ajah area of Lagos.
The defendant had on arraignment pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against him by the Lagos State government. Read more
Naira Crisis: Queues for cash persist, customers “bribe” bank officials (DailyTrust)
Long queues yesterday persisted at banks across the country as customers struggled to withdraw cash, despite the ruling by the Supreme Court that the old note denominations remain legal tender until December 31, this year, Daily Trust reports.
A seven-member panel of the Supreme Court on Friday ruled that the old N200, N500 and N1000 notes remain legal tender until December 31.
Our correspondents report that long queues were still witnessed yesterday at most bank branches in Abuja, Kano and Lagos. Read more
Police to arraign 5 over electoral offences (Tribune)
Five of the suspects, who were last week arrested by the police in Lagos State will be arraigned in court for electoral malpractices.
Twenty-three persons were reportedly arrested by the police in different parts of the state for electrical offences
The image maker in charge of the state police command, Benjamin Hundeyin, told the Nigerian Tribune that the suspect would be “charged to court soon.” Read more
Naira Crunch: PAN lament impact of naira redesign on egg production (ThisDay)
The Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN) has stated that the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) Naira redesign policy has been creating untold hardship for poultry farmers in the country.
Addressing a media briefing, the National President of PAN, Mr. Ezekiel Ibrahim, raised the alarm over the level of havoc the policy has caused in the poultry industry.
He said that the prices of eggs have been crashing astronomically amid the scarcity of Naira to purchase grains to feed the poultry birds. Read more
Governorship election: No talks between Lagos PDP, LP –Spokesperson (Punch)
The Lagos State Chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party has said it is not officially talking with the Labour Party for any possible alliance ahead of Saturday’s governorship and House of Assembly elections.
The Lagos PDP Publicity Secretary, Mr Hakeem Amode, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.
Amode said that it was imperative to debunk claims by the Labour Party Candidate, Mr Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour that he was talking with “the real owners of PDP structure in Lagos State.” Read more
61 die of Diphtheria in Kano (Channels)
Kano State has been hit by a deadly outbreak of diphtheria infection, with 61 lives lost as of March 2, 2023.
Diphtheria is a bacterial infection that affects the throat and upper airways, causing difficulty in breathing, heart failure, and even death. The disease is highly contagious and spreads easily through coughing and sneezing.
The alarming figures were disclosed by the Kano State Case Manager, Dr Salma Suwaid, during a webinar organized by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention with the theme ‘Diptheria outbreak in Nigeria: Vaccination Response.’ Read more
‘Hit And Run’ driver kills 1 in Kwara (DailyTrust)
A “hit and run” driver has killed a yet-to-be-known middle-aged man in Kwara State.
It was gathered that the incident occurred on Sunday, around Olooru/Okoolowo expressway, before Shao junction, Moro Local Government of the state.
The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Kwara State, Frederick Ade Ogidan, confirmed the incident during a telephone chat with our correspondent on Monday.
According to him, two people were hit during the incident but one of them died while the other sustained bruises and fractures. Read more
Judgment on Wike’s suit against planned PDP’s suspension for May 31 (Nation)
A Federal High Court, Abuja has scheduled judgment for May 31 in the suit filed by Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike to restrain the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from either suspending or expelling him from the party.
Justice James Omotosho chose the date on Monday after lawyers to parties in the case made their final submissions.
Listed as respondents in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/139/2023 are the PDP, its National Chairman, Iyorchia Ayu; National Secretary of PDP, Senator Samuel Anyanwu and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Read more
Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion want to star in the remake of Halle Berry movie B.A.P.S. (HipHopDX)
Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion would love to star in a remake of Halle Berry and the late Natalie Desselle-Reid’s 1997 cult classic film B.A.P.S. – should an offer ever be on the table.
Sitting down for an interview with Slash Film that was published on Wednesday (March 2), the movie’s director Robert Townsend discussed the fan favorite and how much interest there is to make a sequel or a remake.
“There’s people that love, love, love the film and some people that didn’t get it,” Townsend said. “And those that love it – like you love it and you get it – I’ve had people go, ‘Hey, we want to do a remake.’ Everybody from Megan Thee Stallion to Cardi B is like, ‘Could we do…’ I mean, it’s like, I don’t know.” Read more
Harry Styles sends fans wild with gender reveal at Aussie concert (7news)
Harry Styles made one ardent fan’s wish come true when he announced the sex of her baby after spotting her request on a sign in the 70,000-strong crowd.
In the midst of his Sydney stadium show, the English singer spotted the message clutched by Gina Cunningham in the front row.
“Are you ready to do this? Are you sure you want to do this? Want to pass me that tiny, tiny envelope?” he asked her from the stage.
Once the envelope was in his hands, Styles peeped at the answer before asking if the woman had a preference.
“Anything you want?” Read more
Petition demands Oscars host Donnie Yen be removed for communist ties (Newsweek)
Tens of thousands of people are calling on the Oscars Committee to reverse an invitation to Donnie Yen to present an Oscar over his support for China’s communist regime.
Chinese actor and martial artist Yen was named as one of the celebrities who’ll appear at this year’s Oscars to present an Academy Award. However his participation has angered many who’ve signed a petition making it clear why they believe he shouldn’t take part in the event.
Yen is a huge star in his native China and may be familiar to Western audiences for his roles in recent movies like Rogue One and Mulan and for his upcoming role in John Wick: Chapter 4. Read more
Scorsese and DiCaprio ‘‘Devil in the White City’’ series no longer moving forward at Hulu (Indiewire)
After a lengthy pre-production process that saw a revolving door of talent join and then exit the project, Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio’s “Devil in the White City” series is no longer moving forward at Hulu, sources with knowledge of the situation have confirmed to IndieWire. The adaptation will be shopped to other outlets by ABC Signature, which is still committed to making the show.
The news is the latest in a long series of setbacks for “Devil in the White City,” which has bounced around Hollywood in various iterations for over a decade. Based on a book of the same name by Erik Larson, “Devil in the White City” is set against the backdrop of the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, and juxtaposes architect Daniel H. Burnham’s quest to put on a history-making event with the havoc that serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes brought on the city. Read more
‘‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem’’; trailer: Seth Rogen’s reboot dazzles with ‘‘Spider-Verse’’-style animation (Variety)
The heroes in a half-shell are back.
The first trailer for Paramount Pictures’ and Seth Rogen’s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” reboot has been released. It’s the latest iteration of Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Donatello after several TV shows and film runs, and this is the second fully animated version to hit the big screen. This version of “TMNT” has a distinctly colorful, comic-book animation style, reminiscent of 2018’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
Revealed on Saturday, the voice cast includes Micah Abbey, Shamon Brown Jr., Nicolas Cantu and Brady Noon as the roles of Donatello, Michelangelo, Leonardo and Raphael, respectively. The A-list cast has Jackie Chan as Master Splinter, Ayo Edebiri as April O’Neil, Rogen as Bebop, John Cena as Rocksteady, Hannibal Buress as Genghis Frog, Rose Byrne as Leatherhead, Ice Cube as Superfly, Natasia Demetriou as Wingnut, Giancarlo Esposito as Baxter Stockman, Post Malone as Ray Fillet, Paul Rudd as Mondo Gecko and Maya Rudolph as Cynthia Utrom. Read more
Everything Everywhere All At Once, Women Talking, win big at Writer’s Guild Awards (UPI)
Everything Everywhere All At Once took home more prizes at the Writer’s Guild Awards, making it the clear frontrunner for Sunday’s Academy Awards.
The awards presentation was held simultaneously in New York and in Los Angeles, hosted by Abbott Elementary star Janelle James, in Los Angeles and by comedian/actress Michelle Bateau in New York City.
The film stars Michelle Yeoh who has been the unanimous winner at all the previous major awards shows this year, including at this weekend’s Independent Spirit Awards, won Best Original Screenplay. Read more
Ukraine war: Russia’s Wagner boss suggests ‘‘betrayal’’ in Bakhmut battle (BBC)
The head of Russia’s Wagner private army has said it is not getting the ammunition it needs from Moscow, as it seeks to gain control of Bakhmut.
Russian troops – from Wagner and regular Russian forces – are trying to seize the eastern city from Ukraine.
But Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin has complained of a lack of ammunition, saying it could be “ordinary bureaucracy or a betrayal”.
Relations between Wagner and Moscow seem increasingly tense. Read more
Liverpool fan, 16, faces lifetime ban after being arrested for pitch invasion (Mirror)
A teenage boy was arrested after he ran on to the Anfield pitch when Liverpool scored their seventh goal in yesterday’s thrashing of Manchester United.
And he is now set to be given a lifetime ban by the club for “unacceptable and dangerous behaviour” having been seen racing across the pitch in an attempt to join the celebrations only to slide into the back of Andy Robertson while the defender was celebrating in a huddle with his team-mates.
The 16-year-old was being chased by several stewards at the time and Robertson was clearly hurt and could be seen clutching his lower right leg. Read more
Poor Flying Eagles fail to reach U20 AFCON final (ThisDay)
The Flying Eagles of Nigeria failed to qualify for the final of the ongoing U20 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt after they lost 1-0 to The Gambia at the Cairo International Stadium.
The failure ended Coach Ladan Bosso’s dream to extend Nigeria’s domination of the tournament to eight continental crowns. As consolation, the Flying Eagles are to play in the losers’ third-place game against Tunisia on Friday.
As early as 7th minute, The Gambia profited from a defensive slip by captain Daniel Bameyi when the Young Scorpions’ forward, Adama Bojang, latched on a loose ball to fire beyond the reach of goalkeeper Chijioke Aniagboso for the only goal of the match. Read more
Marcus Rashford breaks silence after Man Utd humiliation at Liverpool (Mirror)
Marcus Rashford has issued a defiant response following Manchester United’s humiliating 7-0 defeat at Liverpool on Sunday afternoon.
The 25-year-old, like the rest of his United teammates, struggled to make an impact at Anfield despite missing two excellent chances to score. He came close in the first-half but his effort was saved by Alisson, before then hitting the post in the second after going around the goalkeeper.
Rashford was made to pay for not taking his chances as Liverpool ran riot to record their biggest-ever win over United. Cody Gakpo, Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah all scored a brace, while Roberto Firmino also found the net for the Reds on a historic day on Merseyside.
Emma Hayes expecting Chelsea backlash after losing cup final to Arsenal (IrishNews)
Chelsea boss Emma Hayes is confident their disappointing 3-1 Continental Cup final defeat by Arsenal will rouse a redemptive response when they host Brighton in the Women’s Super League on Wednesday.
It took Sam Kerr under two minutes to net the opener at Selhurst Park on Sunday, but the Gunners staged a stunning comeback and were in control by half-time thanks to a Stina Blackstenius equaliser, captain Kim Little’s penalty and Niamh Charles’ own goal.
Third-placed Chelsea are hunting for their fourth straight WSL title and sit four points behind league leaders Manchester United, but have two games in hand on them and second-placed Manchester City. Read more
Max Verstappen admits he was surprised in Bahrain (F1News)
Qualifying for the 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix could not have gone any better for Red Bull, as Max Verstappen went quickest in Q3 and was joined on the front row by his teammate Sergio Perez.
Verstappen and Perez went head-to-head on the final run of Q3 for pole position and the Dutchman came out on top, with his stunning 1:29:708 time being quick enough for P1.
Heading into qualifying, it seemed that both Ferrari and Aston Martin could give Red Bull problems, making their one-two finish look even more impressive. Read more
Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo facilitates self-rebound to complete triple-double (UPI)
Giannis Antetokounmpo said he “stole” his latest triple-double after he drove to the rim in the final seconds of a Milwaukee Bucks win, intentionally missed and collected his own rebound to complete the basketball feat.
Antetokounmpo logged the 23-point, 13-assist, 10-rebound performance in 36:13 on Sunday at Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. The Bucks beat the Washington Wizards 117-111.
“I was thinking about scoring the ball, but I feel like in those situations it’s best to kind of keep the ball,” Antetokounmpo told reporters at his postgame news conference. Read more