Trader docked for allegedly biting off woman’s nipple (Nation)
A 25-year-old trader, Tasuru Abdullahi, on Friday appeared before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court charged with biting off a woman’s nipple.
The police charged Abdullahi, whose address was not given with sexual assault and grievous harm.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Police Prosecutor, Inspector Kenrich Nomayo, said the defendant allegedly bit off Ms Nkechi Anosike’s nipple and swallowed it. Read more
Many rendered homeless as fire razes houses, shops in Makoko (Punch)
No fewer than 50 houses and shops were affected in a fire incident that occurred at Makoko Community in Lagos State.
The PUNCH gathered that the fire incident has rendered occupants of the affected buildings homeless.
Some of the victims said that they passed the night at the scene of the fire incident but hardly find shelter whenever it rains.
“Our houses were gutted by fire. We don’t have any house for now. We are sleeping on the site (of the fire incident). When it rains, we have difficulty. Some of us are also accommodated by relatives and friends. We want the government to help us,” one of the affected occupants told our correspondent on the telephone. Read more
Disquiet in South-South over NDDC audit report (Nation)
The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Audit Report is already raising dust across the Southsouth even before the full recommendations of the committee are made public.
Stakeholders are particularly displeased with the suggestion by the committee that membership of the NDDC board should be trimmed and made part time.
The report was received from Niger Delta Affairs Godswill Akpabio on Thursday by Justice Minister and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari.
The Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) Worldwide asked Buhari to immediately sack Akpabio, who it claimed, manipulated the audit process by deploying delay tactics, selfish politics and maneuvering to maintain his stranglehold on NDDC against the collective interest of the region. Read more
Tension as US moves to name Boko Haram sponsors (Guardian)
Nigerians have expressed doubts about the willingness of the Federal Government to embrace the offer by the US government to help and identify the sponsors of Boko Haram, which has waged an insurgency war on Nigeria in the last 12 years.
Some security experts, former diplomats, and leaders of some socio-cultural/civil society organisations in the country who spoke to The Guardian said embracing the proposal was the best option for the country at this point, but were skeptical about President Muhammadu Buhari’s disposition to the offer.
Recall that the US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Beth Leonard, had during a round-table on US-Nigeria military cooperation with journalists in Abuja, last Monday night, declared that her country was very eager to partner with Nigeria on identifying Boko Haram sponsors.
A former Assistant Director of the Department of State Services, Dennis Amachree, asserted that the US had been positively disposed to supporting Nigeria, especially in the fight against terrorism, noting that the question was whether the Federal Government would embrace the current gesture. Read more
Road construction: Arepo residents accuse contractor, Ogun commissioner of sabotage (Punch)
Some residents of Arepo, in the Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State, have accused the state Commissioner for Works, Ade Akinsanya, and a contractor, Fort Hermon Limited, of sabotage in the ongoing road construction in the community.
Fort Hermon Limited is the firm assigned by the Ogun State Government to reconstruct the 2.35 kilometre access road in the community.
According to the residents, the approved width of the reconstructed road is 15 metres, while the length is 2.35km.
However, the residents, during a protest on Wednesday, alleged that the contractor, who maintained the approved metres for the width of the road, deviated when it got to an estate in the community and reduced it to 10 metres. Read more
Burna Boy shuts down O2 Arena in headline concert (Guardian)
Multiple award winner and Afro-fusion pioneer, Damini Ogulu, popularly known as Burna Boy, on August 27, 2021, shut down London with his headline concert performance at the O2 Arena during his ‘Space Drift Arena Tour’.
The concert followed the release of his latest hit single, Question, which features Nigerian beatmaker and record label chief, Collins Ajereh, professionally known as Don Jazzy. The single made and is still making massive waves across all radio stations and online music streaming platforms.
Organised by Cokobar, in association with Spaceship Entertainment, the concert heralded the African Giant crooner kicking off ‘The O2 Welcome Back Show’ series, which also featured a diverse lineup of headline artistes, including Mavin Records’ Ruger and Rema that performed for the mammoth audience.
The iconic O2 Arena, which is known for having the second-highest seating capacity of any indoor venue in the United Kingdom, and tagged the world’s busiest music arena, had its concert hall packed to the brim with an overly excited crowd. Read more
Travellers stuck on Kogi bad roads – FRSC (DailyTrust)
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has disclosed that travellers headed to the South-West through Kabba-Omuo Ekiti Federal Highway would be facing difficulties due to a failed section of the road at Ikoyi under Iyara local government area of Kogi State.
In a statement signed by Corps Public Education Officer, Assistant Corps Marshal, Bisi Kazeem he said the challenge has led to lack of free flow of traffic at the said portion of the road.
He advised that due to the challenge, motorists, travellers, and the general public should ply Kabba/Asaya/Ogidi/Ikare as an alternative route to or from South West.
Kazeem noted that the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing were already activating appropriate action to sort out the situation. Read more
Telecoms services shut down for 2 weeks in Zamfara, neighbouring cities cage banditry (Guardian)
Citing rising cases of insecurity in Zamfara and adjourned cities, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has directed all telecommunications providers to shut down services in Zamfara State from September 3.
This came as the last move that may totally shut down every economic activity in the Zamfara as the State Governor, Bello Matawalle had last week announced the closure of all weekly markets in the state as part of measures to address the worsening security situation.
According to a letter addressed to the Chief Executive Officers of the telecoms companies, a copy of which was sighted by The Guardian, the decision is “to enable relevant security agencies to carry out required activities towards addressing the security challenges in the state.”
The letter titled “Re: Shutdown of All Telecom Sites in Zamfara State” was signed by the Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of NCC, Prof. Umar Danbatta. Read more
Amazing Rescue: Dolphins help save stranded swimmer off ireland’s coast (DailyAdvent)
A man is recovering after a 12-hour ordeal in the chilly waters off the coast of Ireland, and he has a pod of dolphins to thank for his survival.
Ruairi McSorley, 24, became stranded more than 2 miles off the shore of Tralee Bay on August 22 when rescuers were able to find him.
“They had been scanning the water for any sign of movement and were worried with fading light that they wouldn’t find anyone,” Gerard O’Donnell of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) told the BBC.
Rescuers spotted the pod of dolphins circling around something, and they discovered McSorley amongst them. He was hypothermic and exhausted, wearing only a pair of swim trunks in the cold waters. Read more
Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘Sour’ tops US album chart (UPI)
Olivia Rodrigo’s “Sour” is No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart this week. File Photo by Oliver Contreras/UPI
Sept. 4 (UPI) — Pop star Olivia Rodrigo’s Sour is the No. 1 album in the United States this week.
Coming in at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 chart dated Saturday is Trippie Redd’s Trip at Knight, followed by Rod Wave’s SoulFly at No. 3, Doja Cat’s Planet Her at No. 4 and Lorde’s Solar Power at No. 5.Read more
Drake’s ‘Certified Lover Boy’ shatters Apple Music’s streaming records (TorontoSun)
Drake’s new album Certified Lover Boy, has shattered Apple Music’s 2021 records for most-streamed album and artist in less than 12 hours.
The Canadian hip-hop star’s eagerly anticipated sixth album dropped just after midnight on Friday and fans couldn’t get enough of it.
The album includes appearances from Jay-Z, Lil Baby, 21 Savage, Lil Durk, Rick Ross, Ty Dolla $ign, Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj.
The first day’s stream totals were still coming in at press time, meaning Drake may soon be beating his own record.
The success of the 21-track album – his first in three years – will only fuel the rap rivalry between him and Kanye West. Read more
Billie Eilish and Disney+ Release New Concert (AmericanSongwriter)
On Friday, September 3, famed, Grammy-winning singer and songwriter, Billie Eilish, released her new concert film on Disney+, Happier Than Ever: A Love Letter To Los Angeles, based on her recent LP of the same name that the singer released this summer.
The 19-year-old Eilish previewed the show, which is an ode to her hometown that features animation amidst live concert footage, on Twitter to her 6.1 million followers:
Watch Billie perform her sophomore album front to back at the @HollywoodBowl in #HappierThanEver: A Love Letter To Los Angeles, now streaming on @DisneyPlus. Directed by @Rodriguez & @PatrickTOsborne feat. @FINNEAS, @GustavoDudamel, @LAPhil & @LACCsings. #BillieEilishOnDisneyPlus pic.twitter.com/bWAcqME4zY
— billie eilish (@billieeilish) September 3, 2021
The new film, which is co-directed by filmmaker Robert Rodriguez and Oscar-winning animator Patrick Osborne, takes a “dreamlike journey” to some of Eilish’s favorite spots in the City of Angels. The concert footage was shot in the Hollywood Bowl and features guests like the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Eilish’s brother and co-producer, FINNEAS.
“Disney is incredibly iconic,” Eilish said in a press release about her first Disney+ foray. “So to collaborate on something like this is a huge honor. To be able to present my album in this way and dedicate it to the city that I love and grew up in is so exciting to me. I hope you love it.” Read more
40 Years of Beyoncé: Celebrating Queen Bey By the Numbers from 1 to 40 (People)
1: Beyoncé to Rule Them All
There’s only one Beyoncé, and we all know that she’s “Irreplaceable.”
2: History-Making Coachella Performances
Dubbed “Beychella,” the singer’s epic headlining performances at 2018’s Coachella music festival were memorialized in a live album and the Netflix documentary Homecoming. Beyoncé’s performance marked the first time a Black woman had headlined the music festival; her set paid tribute to historically black colleges and was full of surprise guest appearances, including her younger sister Solange and her former Destiny’s Child groupmates Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams.
The pop star is also a proud mom to three little ones with husband JAY-Z: daughter Blue Ivy, whom she welcomed in 2012, and twins Rumi and Sir, born in 2017. Read more
Meghan Markle dies in car wreck in controversial film trailer as fans slam ‘appalling’ tribute (Sun)
In shocking and insensitive scenes, the actress playing the 40-year-old Duchess is seen lying in the wreckage of an overturned car, surrounded by photographers.
A desperate Harry pushes his way through the mob before pulling the door open, where a seriously injured Meghan pleads with him to “help me.”
But the crash is just a nightmare and Harry wakes up and is comforted to see wife Meghan and baby Archie.
The sickening scenes mirror the real-life tragedy of Harry’s late mother, Princess Diana, who died in a car accident in Paris in August 1997.
The trailer has left Royal fans horrified, with one writing on Twitter: “Harry & Meghan, escaping the palace? I think Diana would be appalled.” Read more
England’s Sancho ruled out of World Cup qualifiers (Punch)
England forward Jadon Sancho has been ruled out of the World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Poland after suffering a “minor knock”.
Sancho missed England’s 4-0 win in Hungary on Thursday due to the problem he suffered in training.
The 21-year-old will play no part against Andorra at Wembley on Sunday or in Wednesday’s clash with Poland in Warsaw.
“Following further assessment, the 21-year-old has returned to his club and is expected to recover in time for Manchester United’s fixture with Newcastle United on Saturday September 11,” an English Football Association statement said on Saturday. Read more
Thomas Tuchel faces potential Saul Niguez problem as Atletico chief opens up on exit (Mirror)
Chelsea won the race to secure the signature of Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez after much of the summer transfer window saw him touted with a move to just about every ‘big six’ side in the Premier League.
However, the Blues could be presented with an issue surrounding Saul’s positioning very soon as details of his exit from Diego Simeone’s side emerge and appear to be centred around his unhappiness over where he was being deployed on the pitch.
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has enjoyed a stunning start to life at the Stamford Bridge helm, winning the Champions League and UEFA Super Cup in his first eight months in charge.
Saul Niguez made 340 appearances for Atletico Madrid before joining Chelsea on loan on deadline day
Saul Niguez made 340 appearances for Atletico Madrid before joining Chelsea on loan on deadline day
Much of the German boss’s success has been inspired by his tactical prowess, Tuchel making Chelsea one of the most defensively resilient sides on the continent – as exhibited by the recent 1-1 draw at Anfield, where Chelsea were down to ten men for much of the contest. Read more
Dutch Grand Prix: Max Verstappen takes pole position at home race (BBC)
Max Verstappen beat Lewis Hamilton to pole position at the Dutch Grand Prix by just 0.038 seconds, sending his devoted home fans wild.
The Red Bull driver had appeared in control throughout qualifying but Hamilton improved on his final lap to miss out by the narrowest of margins.
The second Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas was third, ahead of Pierre Gasly’s Alpha Tauri and the Ferraris.
Red Bull’s Sergio Perez was eliminated in the first session and is 16th.
The Sports Desk: Is motorsport killing the planet – or helping save it?
Raikkonen out of Dutch GP with Covid
Dutch GP coverage
Full qualifying results
How qualifying unfolded
Verstappen set the standard on the first lap of final qualifying when he beat Bottas by 0.299secs, a significant margin around one of the shortest laps on the calendar. Read more
Keane names three Man Utd stars who will ‘grow’ around Ronaldo (Football365)
Manchester United’s young England internationals will benefit from the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo this season, according to Robbie Keane.
The 36-year-old Ronaldo arrived in Manchester for the second time in his career this week following his exit from Juventus, where he scored 101 goals in just over three seasons.
The Portugal international immediately made the headlines following his move after scoring two vital goals in the dying minutes in their 2-1 World Cup qualifying win over Republic of Ireland to get three points and break Ali Daei’s International goalscoring record.
Keane told the PA news agency: “The younger players around him, you’ll see them grow now even more just because they’re around his presence. Read more
Lukaku forced Inter’s hand in £98m Chelsea move after seeing 3 offers knocked back (Goal)
Romelu Lukaku admits that he forced Inter’s hand once learning that interest from Chelsea was “serious” during the summer transfer window, with the Belgian striker determined to complete a £98 million ($136m) move.
That offer eventually proved to be enough for Serie A champions to part with a prized asset, with three previous bids being knocked back.
Lukaku started to fear that a deal would never be done, leading to him seeking out talks with those at the centre of discussions as his heart started to head back to Stamford Bridge.
What has been said?
Lukaku has told HLN of securing a return to Chelsea 10 years after he first linked up with the Blues: “With Chelsea’s third offer, I knew it was serious and I wasn’t there anymore. Read more
Wolff Seeking Change to Red Flag Rules in Formula 1 After Lost Track Time at Zandvoort (CheckeredFlag)
Toto Wolff wants the Formula 1 Commission to look at the red flag rules during free practice sessions when they meet next month, with the Team Principal of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team looking for a change of regulation to enable more running.
Speaking after both of Friday’s sessions at the Circuit Zandvoort were affected by red flags, Wolff says the commission need to work out whether or not continuing the session’s clock is justified.
Sebastian Vettel’s stoppage in first practice on Friday cost them thirty-seven minutes of running, while further time was lost in the afternoon following Lewis Hamilton’s engine failure and Nikita Mazepin’s spin.Read more