Two more buildings collapse in Lagos’ Balogun market (DailyTrust)
Six hours after a fire outbreak in Balogun market in Lagos Island, two buildings collapsed at the same time, while the firefighters tried curtailing the fire. This brings the total to three collapsed buildings. Photo: Risikat Ramoni, Lagos, 29 January 2020. Six hours after a fire outbreak destroyed stores in Balogun market, situated within Lagos Island, in Lagos state earlier on Wednesday, two buildings have just collapsed in the area as firefighters try to curtail the fire. Some minutes before the collapse, Policemen, firefighters, LNSC officials were preventing people from passing in front of the buildings as the fire razed on. Within a twinkle of an eye, the buildings collapsed together, just as people including passersby and residents run helter-skelter for safety. Meanwhile, one building had collapsed earlier when the fire started around 10 am today. Read more
RRS nabs seven for allegedly extorting Lagos motorists (Guardian)
Operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) have arrested seven suspects posing as local government traffic officers for allegedly extorting motorists along LASU–Igando Expressway. The suspects, who claimed they were on contract with the Ikotun-Igando Local Council Development Area (LCDA) in Alimosho Local Government Area, were arrested yesterday afternoon after receiving complaint from a victim.
The suspects arrested include the gang leader, Taiwo Falodun, 48; Mukaila Atanda, 48; Adedire Olaniyi, 40; Chibuzor Eze, 26; Akinseye Alex, 48; Rasak Eko, 50; and Aro Dotun, 46. The suspects had last week Thursday extorted N41,000 from the victim for not speeding on the expressway.
The victim, according to investigations, was heading towards Igando from LASU when the suspects, operating on ‘Keke NAPEP’ forced him to park for not speeding. He was thereafter forced to drive to their hideout on LASU–Igando Expressway. It was there his vehicle was impounded and made to pay N41,000 before the vehicle was released to him the following day. Read more
RCCG Pastor, Adeboye set twitter on ‘fire’ over ‘sack her’ comment (DailyTrust)
The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG)’s General Overseer, Pastor Enoch Adeboye The General overseer of Redeemed Christian Church of God, Enoch Adeboye is presently trending on twitter for his teachings on fidelity. In a series of tweets this morning, the cleric had admonished Christians to take their marriage seriously, challenging them to cut off whatever could make them contemplate adultery. He said: “Today, I will be focusing on the married. It is sad that many married people are still having crushes with persons apart from their spouses. “If there is any fellow aside from your spouse you are admiring unduly, you must see such a person as the devil and get rid of them immediately.” Read more
Makinde meets IGP over Amotekun, Oyo LG crisis (Nation)
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, on Wednesday visited the Inspector General of Police, IGP Mohammed Adamu, over the issue of local government administration at the Force Headquarters in Abuja.
Makinde, who informed reporters of the purpose of his visit after a closed-door meeting with the IGP said he does not want chaos in Oyo State.
An Oyo State High Court sitting in Ibadan, the state capital, had on Tuesday given an order restraining the sacked chairmen of the 33 local government areas and 35 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs), from forcible takeover of the council offices across the state. Read more
House of Reps asks service chiefs to resign (Guardian)
Members of Nigeria’s House of Representatives on Wednesday asked the country’s service chiefs to resign over persistent insecurity.
The lawmakers in their different contributions to the debate on insecurity across Nigeria lamented at the uncertainty of security of lives and properties in the country during Wednesday’s plenary.
Chairman of House of Representatives committee on defence Jimi Benson bemoaned how long it’s taking for the Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police and other agencies to vanquish the insurgents. Read more
Coronavirus: FG shuts down Chinese supermarket in Abuja (Punch)
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has shut down Chinese-owned Panda Supermarket in the Jabi area of Abuja as part of measures to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.
The FCCPC said in a series of tweets that it had confiscated some frozen food items illegally imported from China.
The pictures of some of the frozen food items posted on Twitter showed that they had expiry dates of 2089 which further aroused suspicion that they were not certified by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control.
The agency said in a series of tweets, “The FCCPC inspected Panda Supermarket, Jabi, on credible reports that it discriminated and had a concealed area for Asian nationals. The allegation was confirmed. Seafood and animal products imported illegally from China were discovered. Read more
Why I ordered probe of Oshiomhole by Obaseki (Nation)
Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has explained why he ordered probe of the new five star Bénin Specialist hospital.
The five star Bénin Specialist hospital was built during the administration of Governor Adams Oshiomhole and commissioned by President Mohammadu Buhari in November, 2016.
It took several protests before the hospital was opened last year but operated through a consultancy firm.
Governor Obaseki had on Monday constituted a Commission of Inquiry headed by Hon. Justice J.U. Oyomire (rtd) to conduct a detailed inquiry into the process leading to the conceptualization, design, construction and equipping of the hospital. Read more
NYSC DG confirms N33,000 allowance for Corps members (Vanguard)
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Director-General (DG), Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim has confirmed that the Federal Government in line with the new National Minimum Wage has approved N33,000 allowance for Corps members.
The NYSC-DG disclosed this while speaking to Corps members at the NYSC Bauchi State Secretariat during his working visit to the State.
In a press statement posted on the official Facebook page of NYSC, the DG explained: “provision had been made for the new allowance in the year 2020 Budget, adding that payment would commence as soon as funds are released by the appropriate authorities.” Read more
Lassa fever deaths in Nigeria rise to 41 (Guardian)
The death toll from Lassa fever in Nigeria since the beginning of January has risen to 41 as cases were confirmed in more regions, Nigeria’s disease control agency said.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said Tuesday that from January 1 to January 26 a total of 258 confirmed cases, including five health workers, were reported across 19 states.
The latest figures marked an increase from 29 deaths and 195 confirmed cases given by the authorities for the period up to January 24. Read more
We’re ready to pay N30,000 minimum wage – Uzodinma (Nation)
Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State has assured workers in the state of the resolve of his administration to commence payment of N30,000 minimum wage.
He promised that the payment would commence as soon as the committee set up for that regard concludes its work.
The governor assured them that civil servants due for promotion would be promoted with justifiable arrears that would also be paid.
Uzodinma who was on his working visit to the state Secretariat in the company of his deputy, Prof Placid Njoku, was received by the Imo State Head of Service, Dr. Camilus Chibuzo Iwuagwu, who conducted them round the State Secretariat and offices. Read more
Trump Middle East plan: Palestinians reject ‘conspiracy’ (BBC)
Palestinians have dismissed US President Donald Trump’s new Middle East peace plan as a “conspiracy”.
The plan envisages a Palestinian state and the recognition of Israeli sovereignty over West Bank settlements.
Mr Trump said Jerusalem would remain Israel’s “undivided” capital, but the Palestinian capital would “include areas of East Jerusalem”. Read more
Tottenham complete £27m Steven Bergwijn signing from PSV (Vanguard)
Tottenham have completed the signing of Netherlands international Steven Bergwijn for a reported £27million.
The 22-year-old winger has signed a deal until 2025 having emerged as one of the Eredivisie’s star players with PSV.
Bergwijn enjoyed a particularly impressive season last term, scoring 14 Eredivisie goals and setting up another 12 as PSV finished second to Ajax.
He had been strongly linked with a move away before the season started, with Bayern Munich and Sevilla said to be particularly keen, but no transfer materialised and he began the campaign with PSV. Read more
Australian Open: Alexander Zverev beats Stan Wawrinka to reach semis (BBC)
Alexander Zverev is through to a Grand Slam semi-final for the first time after defeating Stan Wawrinka in four sets at the Australian Open.
The German seventh seed beat the Swiss three-time Grand Slam champion 1-6 6-3 6-4 6-2, dropping a set for the first time in Melbourne this year.
He lost the first five games in only 16 minutes but bounced back to convert five out of 13 break points.
The 22-year-old will face Rafael Nadal or Dominic Thiem in the last four. Read more
Troost-Ekong suffers knee injury (Nation)
Super Eagles defender, William Troost-Ekong suffered an apparent knee injury in Udinese’s 2-0 Serie A defeat to Parma last weekend, NationSport reports.
The Nigeria international made his 19th league appearance at the Stadio Ennio Tardini and was in action until the 79th minute when he was fouled by Parma’s Matteo Scozzarella.
The 26-year-old was then replaced by Sebastien De Maio, a minute later as he could not continue with the encounter.
This is the first time he will be subbed off since May 2019. Read more
Man Utd close to completing Fernandes deal (Guardian)
Manchester United are confident of completing the transfer of Portuguese international midfielder Bruno Fernandes after a breakthrough in negotiations with Sporting Lisbon, according to widespread reports in the British media on Tuesday.
United are badly in need of midfield reinforcements due to long-term injuries to Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay.
Fernandes, 25, has been linked with a move to Old Trafford for many months, but United was previously unwilling to meet Sporting’s 80 million euro valuation (£67 million, $88 million). Read more
Arsenal announce Pablo Mari as Mikel Arteta’s first-ever signing (Vanguard)
Arsenal have confirmed the arrival of Flamengo center-back Pablo Mari on a long-term contract in the club’s first signing of the January transfer window.
The 26-year-old has only spent six months in Brazil, after leaving his former side Manchester City, going on to have a major part in Flamengo’s success in the Brasileirão and Copa Libertadores.
Despite only just moving to Flamengo last year, Mari has now completed his return to Europe to become Arsenal’s first signing on the winter transfer window and the first under manager Mikel Arteta. Read more
Oldest professional footballer Bahader joins new club at 75 (Guardian)
75-year-old Ezz El Din Bahader has joined Egyptian third division side 6th October Club to become the oldest professional player in the world.
Bahader said he will continue to play “as long as I have the ability.”
“I found payers all over the world at this age and entering the Guinness Record and I can compete with them. So what is the problem with that?” Read more
Fernandinho signs year-long Man City extension (Nation)
Fernandinho has signed a one-year contract extension with Manchester City, the English Premier League champions announced on Tuesday.
The 34-year-old Brazil midfielder, whose previous deal was due to expire at the end of the season, is now set to stay at the Etihad Stadium until 2021. Fernandinho has been a City mainstay since his arrival in a £30 million ($39 million, 35 million euros) move from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013.
“This is the best possible news,” said Fernandinho. “I have enjoyed every second of my time at City. I never expected to build such a meaningful relationship with the club and the fans, but it has happened, and I am grateful every single day.” Read more
Kameni: Racists should be ejected from stadiums before restarting play (Vanguard)
Carlos Kameni believes matches should be stopped if racist abuse comes from the stands, but only for those committing the offence to be ejected from the stadium.
The former Espanyol and Malaga goalkeeper was speaking to Radio MARCA after Inaki Williams suffered racial abuse at the RCDE Stadium on Saturday.
“It was very ugly what they did to Inaki Williams,” he said.”It’s not the identity of the Espanyol fans, they’ve stained the image of their club. Read more
China women’s football team quarantined in Australia over virus fears (Guardian)
China’s women’s football team has been quarantined in a Brisbane hotel over fears about the deadly coronavirus after arriving for an Olympic qualifying competition, reports said Wednesday.
Queensland state chief health officer Jeannette Young said no one from the group, reportedly 32-strong including officials and staff, had shown any symptoms and that the quarantine was a precautionary measure.
“There is absolutely no risk to anyone else in that hotel or to the staff in that hotel, these people are all well,” she was quoted as saying by broadcaster ABC. Read more
Barcelona dump interest in Valencia striker Rodrigo Moreno (DailyTrust)
Rodrigo Moreno Barcelona have ended their interest in Rodrigo Moreno after failing to reach an agreement with Valencia. Barcelona had hoped to sign the Spain striker on a six-month loan with no obligation to make the deal permanent in the summer, but the Mestalla outfit were holding out for a fee of around €60 million. Portuguese super agent Jorge Mendes, who is close to Valencia owner Peter Lim, was in Barcelona for the talks and tried to unblock the deal by setting up a transfer for Sporting CP midfielder Bruno Fernandes to the Catalan club this month. Read more