Woman seeks help over alleged missing twin in Lagos (Guardian)
A woman, Faith Obinna, who recently gave birth to twins at St. Raphael Divine Mercy Hospital in Ikorodu area of Lagos State yesterday, accused the hospital management of allegedly stealing one of her twins immediately after birth. The victim, who reportedly did several scans in the same hospital, which revealed that she was pregnant of twins, claimed she was sedated on the day she had a caesarean section and was later presented with only one of the twins.
Also, in the Obstetric scan report dated 26: 02: 2020 and which has the doctor’s name as Otutuoja seen by our reporter, indicated that the number of fetus in Faith were Twins, but the “suspected sex”, read “XY and ?”
Her call for help via a voice note had last week gone viral with the mother of two pleading with well-meaning Nigerians and non governmental organizations to come to her aid as she search for her missing baby. Read more
Controversy as NBA disowns Lagos ‘lawyer’, critic (Punch)
The Nigerian Bar Association has disowned a Lagos-based social critic, Adeola Samuel-Ilori, saying it has no record of him as a legal practitioner.
The NBA, in a correspondence from its General Secretary, Jonathan Gunu Taidi, said Samuel-Ilori’s name was not on the enrolment list of lawyers with the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
“I further state that the said name is not contained in the database of the Nigerian Bar Association and I am unable to provide any information on him,” Taidi added in the letter dated January 7, 2020.
The Secretary, Ikeja branch of the NBA, Chinedu Ifezue, in a mail to our correspondent on March 11, 2020, said there was no record of Samuel-Ilori. Read more
We’re not against online teaching – Lagos govt (DailyTrist)
The Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Folasade Adefisayo, says the state government is not against the online teaching initiative adopted by most private schools. She said this yesterday while reacting to a media report that the state government had warned private school owners against their plan to resume academic activities for third term, 2019/2020 session via online teaching. Read more
51 nabbed as Lagos community protests against lockdown (Punch)
The Lagos State Police Command, on Monday, announced the arrest of 51 persons for protesting against the lockdown order in the state to curb the spread of COVID-19.
PUNCH Metro learnt that some residents of the Eleko community in the Ibeju-Lekki area of the state protested the alleged favouritism on the part of the government and the security agencies in implementing the order.
Our correspondent gathered that youths made bonfires on the road leading to some companies, including the Dangote Refinery and Petrochemical complex in the area. Read more
Fire destroys NNPC station, stores, vehicles in Lagos (Guardian)
Fire yesterday burnt the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) filling station located at Yaya Abatan Street in Ogba, Lagos State. The fire, which burnt a petroleum tanker and more than 10 vehicles, also affected a one-storey building housing some supermarkets, Maranada Stores, Springboard Kiddies Collections and Potent Medicals.
The filling station also has a cooking gas shop close by and is surrounded by residential homes and shops. An eyewitness who spoke on the condition of anonymity said that the fire was caused by an electrical fault while a tanker was discharging diesel.
According him, the fire may have been put out if the fire-fighter tanks had come with enough water. Read more
COVID-19 cases in Nigeria rise to 1337 (DailyTrust)
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, on Monday, announced 64 new cases of COVID-19 in the country to take the total number to 1337. Monday’s figure is a decrease in figures recorded in the past few days. Breakdown of the new cases shows that 34 were reported in Lagos, 15 in FCT, 11 in Borno and two each in Taraba and Gombe states. A post on the NCDC Twitter handle reads: “As at 11:20pm 27th April- 1337 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria.” Read more
El-Rufai approves Wednesdays, Saturdays for movement (DailyTrust)
Governor Nasiru El-Rufai of Kaduna State Kaduna State Government yesterday reverted to the two-day window for residents to restock food and other essential items stressing that Wednesdays and Saturdays will henceforth be lockdown free in the state. A statement by the governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Muyiwa Adekeye, said the decision was taken after the daily meeting of the State Standing Committee on Covid-19 headed by Deputy Governor Hadiza Balarabe. El-Rufai had on Sunday extended the state’s lockdown by another 30 days. Read more
FG urged to spend 20% of donations on research (DailyTrust)
The Academic Staff Union of Research Institutions (ASURI) yesterday urged the Federal Government to spend 20 percent of the donations received to fight the COVID-19 pandemic received on research for a cure. ASURI General Secretary Theophilus Ndubuaku, made the call in a memo addressed to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID19. The memo was written o behalf of the National Institute for Medical Research, the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development, the National Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research, the Nigerian Natural Medicine Development Agency and the National Biotechnology Development Agency. Read more
18 arrested prostitutes isolated, brothel shut in Ondo (Punch)
Eighteen commercial sex workers have been arrested by the Ondo State Task Force on COVID-19 for violating the curfew imposed by the state government.
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu had announced a dusk to dawn curfew as part of efforts to limit the spread of the coronavirus disease.
It was gathered that the violators were caught in a brothel at the Shasha area of Akure around 10.30pm on Sunday, while the task force was monitoring compliance with the government order. Read more
People are now making dresses out of shopping bags because of lockdown boredom (Metro)
Sick of changing from your night time PJs to your day time PJs? The coronavirus lockdown has meant most of don’t remember the last time we put on a nice dress or even shoes (what are those?). But then came the pillow dress to spice up our Zoom chats. Bedding which doubles up as fashion items is so last week as we now move onto its quirkier counterpart – the shopping bag dress. Read more
Top NYC coronavirus doctor takes her own life (BBC)
A top New York City doctor who was on the front line of the US fight against coronavirus has taken her own life.
Dr Lorna Breen, who was medical director of the emergency department at New York-Presbyterian Allen Hospital in Manhattan, died of self-inflicted injuries on Sunday, police said.
The 49-year-old’s father, Dr Philip Breen, told the New York Times: “She tried to do her job and it killed her.”
New York accounts for 17,500 out of America’s coronavirus 56,000 deaths. Read more
Police walk in on domestic abuser dismembering his wife (Metro)
Cops checking on a woman who had not spoken to her family in days walked in on a horrific scene and found her husband dismembering her, according to police. New York State Troopers stumbled upon the gruesome murder on Friday in Allen after the couple’s house for a welfare check. They arrived to allegedly find 52-year-old Phillip Farren hacking up his wife’s body. Police did not identify the woman, but a GoFundMe campaign identified her as Amber Farren. Officers spoke to Farren and he told them that his wife had ‘left the area’ according to a police press release. He ‘then made admissions’ after continued questioning, police wrote. Read more
Coronavirus: Argentina bans commercial flight sales until 1 September (BBC)
Argentina has banned all internal and international commercial flights until 1 September because of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
The authorities said airlines should not be allowed to sell tickets for flights that may not go ahead in the next four months.
Aviation industry groups said thousands of people could lose their jobs.
Argentina closed its borders to non-residents in March, imposing tough quarantine measures.
The country currently has nearly 4,000 confirmed infections, with 192 deaths, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University. Read more
Woman ‘told she was too well presented to need mental health care’ (Metro)
A woman has claimed she was unable to get help for mental health issues because she was deemed ‘too pretty’. Jade Rowlands, 31, said a primary mental health team told her she did not need assistance because of the way she did her nails, hair and make-up. She was previously diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), with anxiety and depression, but felt she needed more help. Read more
Trump appears to confirm that North Korean’s Kim is alive (Guardian)
US President Donald Trump on Monday appeared to confirm that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is alive, saying he wished him well after days of speculation over the dictator’s whereabouts.
Asked if he had new information about Kim’s health, Trump said “yes, I do have a very good idea, but I can’t talk about it now. I just wish him well.”
“I hope he’s fine,” Trump continued, speaking at a White House press conference. “I do know how he’s doing, relatively speaking.” Read more
Grandmother asks if hugging family will be allowed when lockdown eases (Metro)
A woman asked if she would be able to hug her grandchildren when lockdown is eased in the first question from the public at the Downing Street coronavirus press conference.
Lynn from Skipton was the first non-journalist given the chance to grill ministers and health officials- a new element being introduced at the daily briefings as part of a transparency drive by Number 10. The query was chosen from more than 15,000 posed by members of the public on Monday. Read more
Major film festivals to unite for YouTube event (BBC)
Major film festivals – including Berlin, Cannes, Toronto and Venice – are to join forces for an online event.
We Are One: A Global Film Festival, will be hosted by YouTube from 29 May.
It comes after coronavirus caused disruption to many international events, as the film industry ground to a halt.
The 10-day digital alternative will help to raise funds for the World Health Organization (WHO)’s Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund and beyond.
Twenty festivals from around the world are involved including BFI London Film Festival, Jerusalem Film Festival, Mumbai Film Festival and Marrakech International Film Festival, as well as Sundance Film Festival and Tribeca Film Festival. Read more
Enyimba won’t taste continental glory again unless they change- Abdallah (DailyTrust)
The immediate past Technical Adviser of Enyimba International FC, Coach Usman Abdallah has said the former African champions won’t win another continental title unless the management changes its way of doing things. The ‘Peoples elephants’ as Enyimba are called won the prestigious CAF Champions League back to back in 2003 and 2004 and since then have continued to search fruitlessly for another continental honour. It will be recalled that this year, Enyimba started their continental campaign in the CAF Champions League but dropped to the Confederation Cup where they were eliminated by Guinean side, Horoya AC at the quarter-final stage. Read more
Rio Ferdinand reveals his regret at not speaking out over John Terry race row with brother Anton (Metro)
Former Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand says he regrets not speaking out during John Terry’s race row with his brother, QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, and says he still does not speak to the Chelsea defender. Terry was banned by the FA for four matches and fined £220,000 after using ‘abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour… which included a reference to colour and/or race’ in relation to Anton during a match at Loftus Road in October 2011, though was cleared of the charges at Westminster Magistrates’ Court a few weeks earlier. Ferdinand dubbed Terry ‘the biggest idiot’ in his autobiography several years later and now admits he was too slow to put forward his and his brother’s side of the argument in public and would do things differently now. Read more
Michael Vaughan: ECB should consider scrapping overseas players to save money (BBC)
The England and Wales Cricket Board should consider temporarily scrapping overseas players in the County Championship to cut costs, says former England captain Michael Vaughan.
There will be no cricket in England or Wales before at least 1 July because of the coronavirus pandemic.
On Monday, a report from a financial advisory firm said counties face a loss of £85m if the entire season is lost. Read more
FIFA proposes up to five substitutions per match (DailyTrust)
FIFA has proposed that teams should be allowed to make up to five substitutions per match, instead of the usual three, as a temporary measure, the global soccer body said on Monday. It said the idea was to help deal with possible fixture congestion as leagues attempt to complete the season in a short space of time once play starts again in the aftermath of the novel coronavirus outbreak. Read more
Lyon chief open to Houssem Aouar exit amid Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool links (Metro)
Houssem Aouar will not be held against his will if he wants a summer transfer away to Lyon, although the French giants hope to keep him. Aouar has been linked with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City in recent weeks after an impressive season for the Ligue 1 side. Having signed a five-year deal with Lyon in 2018, the French Under-21 international won’t come cheap and it is thought he would cost potential suiters more than £40m. Juventus have also been credited with an interest, but Lyon chief Jean-Michel Aulas is hopeful of keeping him at the club. Read the latest updates: Coronavirus news live. Read more
Nadal pessimistic over chances of return to normal for tennis (DailyTrust)
Rafael Nadal Rafael Nadal has said he is very pessimistic about the possibility of tennis returning to normal any time soon because of the new coronavirus pandemic that shut down the sport last month. Professional tennis has been suspended until the end of July, at the earliest, and the Spaniard said on Sunday that serious problems stand in the way of a resumption. “From my point of view, I’m very pessimistic that the circuit can resume normal activity,” the world No 2 said in an online chat organised by the Spanish Tennis Federation. Read more
Lewis Hamilton: Lack of racing leaves ‘big void’ (BBC)
Britain’s Lewis Hamilton says the lack of racing in Formula 1 so far this year has left him feeling “a big void”.
The Mercedes driver, who will bid to equal the record of seven world titles if the championship can be started, says he “misses racing every day”.
“This is the first time since I was eight that I haven’t started a season. When you live and breathe something you love, there’s definitely a big void.” Read more