Yul Edochie’s second wife ready to tell her side of the story (Guardian)
Judy Austin Moghalu, second wife to Nollywood actor Yul Edochie, has revealed that she might be ready to tell her side of the story.
The actress hinted at this in an Instagram Live, noting that she was surprised that many people loved her.
According to her, she had received several warm messages from fans globally.
Speaking on the story that brought her to the limelight, the actress said she’s contemplating telling her side of the story. Read more
How I escaped death in Lagos building collapse – Tenant (DailyTrust)
A tenant at a collapsed 3-storey building on Ibadan Street, Ebute Meta, Lagos, Engineer Adegoke Ogunbabi, has narrated his close shave with death, saying he was asleep when the building caved in.
The survivor, while speaking to journalists on Monday, said he firmly believed that help would come his way as the building crumbled.
Ogunbabi, who escaped unhurt, said he had been living in the building for 10 years, adding that his room was on the last floor.
He said, “I was on my bed when the building collapsed. I normally do exercise because I had a spinal cord injury. Read more
NURTW Crisis: Lagos CP meets MC Oluomo and Istijabah, reads riot act (Channels)
The Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Abiodun Alabi, has met with two factional transport leaders in the state – Musiliu Akinsanya popularly called MC Oluomo; and Azeez Abiola, aka Istijabah.
The meeting was confirmed in a statement issued on Monday by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Benjamin Hundeyin.
He said the CP warned that anyone found causing trouble anywhere within the state would be arrested and made to face the law.
“The warning has become imperative following incessant clashes, fracas and malicious damage to the property recently experienced in some parts of Lagos State mostly linked to the issues surrounding the management of motor parks within the state,” the statement partly read. Read more
Truckers write Lagos govt over extortion, lament insecurity (Punch)
The Association of Maritime Truck Owners has written to the Lagos State Government, lamenting extortion by officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority and some local government officials in the state, including the committee set up for the removal of abandoned trucks.
The Chairman, AMARTO, Remy Ogungbemi, in a letter on Sunday, said that the members often paid between N100, 000 and N200, 000 to these officials to secure the release of their trucks.
The letter read in part, “We are using this medium to draw the attention of the Lagos State Government on the worrisome and increasing ignoble activities of its traffic agencies and some local governments traffic departments in charge of traffic management and control in Lagos State.”
The association chair accused the committee on the removal of abandoned trucks from invading terminals at night to tow away parked trucks. Read more
Eid-el-fitr: Ensure maximum security in Lagos, IPAC tells Sanwo-Olu (Guardian)
The Inter- Party Advisory Council (IPAC), Lagos State, has urged Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu to tighten security around the state on the occasion of the 2022 Eid-el-fitr celebration
Wishing all Islamic faithful a happy celebration, IPAC in a statement on Monday by its Chairman, Mr Olusegun Mobolaji, said the state government should not lose guard on security.
“We call on the state government to ensure there is maximum security for life and property.
“All security agents and forces should be well mobilised and coordinated to maintain safety and peace all round the state,” Mobolaji said. Read more
US body ranks ABUAD best Nigerian university (ThisDay)
A Washington DC, United States-based Times Higher Education Impact Rankings (THEIR) has rated Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD), Ekiti State, as the best university in Nigeria and one of the best 400 globally.
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings, respected worldwide by students, teachers, governments and industry experts, is focused on “helping the world’s universities to achieve excellence.”
THEIR looks at performance indicators that measure an institution’s performance across four key areas of teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
The news was contained in a letter dated April 27, 2022, and titled: ‘2022 The Impact Rankings’ by former National Universities Commission(NUC), Executive Secretary, Prof. Peter Okebukola, and addressed to ABUAD’s Vice Chancellor, Prof Smaranda Olarinde. Read more
Eid-el-Fitr: Ganduje pardons 90 inmates in Kano (Guardian)
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, yesterday, granted a state pardon to 90 inmates across Kano correctional centres as part of activities marking Eid-el-Fitr.
Announcing the state pardon when he led members of his cabinet on a Sallah visit to Gorondutse Correctional Centre, Kano, he disclosed that the gesture was in line with the teachings and spirit of Ramadan.
The governor, who earlier admonished the inmates on reflection of good moral conduct, stressed the need to extend the state’s prerogative of mercy.
He reminded them that the pardon was not only meant to decongest correctional centres, but to also give the inmates another opportunity to turn a new leaf and dignified character in life. Read more
Terrorism charge: Nnamdi Kanu heads to Appeal Court (Punch)
The leader of Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, has dragged the Federal Government to the Court of Appeal to challenge the amended seven charges on terrorism granted by Justice Binta Nyako of a Federal High Court in Abuja.
He was challenging the decision of the court as contained in the ruling and final decision retaining counts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 15 of the amended charge, delivered on April 8, 2022.
A copy of the court processes was obtained by journalists in Abuja on Monday.
The PUNCH reported that Justice Nyako had struck out eight out of the 15-count treasonable felony charges filed against Kanu by the Federal Government. Read more
OPWS troops rescue pregnant woman, husband from bandits in Benue community (Independent)
The troops of Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) on Sunday rescued two kidnap victims; a man, Jude Orune and his pregnant wife from the hands of their abductors in a remote forest in Sengev council ward of Guma Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State.
According to some locals who spoke to Daily Independent, the duo were kidnapped at about 5:30 pm on Sunday by their abductors who took them far into the hinterland before they were rescued by the military spike operation.
The locals explained that as soon as Orune and his wife were abducted, they sent a distress call to the troops deployed to Agasha in Guma LGA, adding that the quick intervention of the troops saved the day.
One of the locals, Orbunde Tarhemba, told us that the bandits engaged the troops in an exchange of gunfire, but eventually took to their heels, haven been overwhelmed by the firepower of the troops, leaving behind their victims. Read more
Taylor Swift, Michael Mann’s ‘Heat’, Seth Meyers & Common headline Tribeca Festival’s talks and reunions lineup (Deadline)
Taylor Swift, Common, Seth Meyers and cast and crew including Al Pacino and Robert De Niro reuniting to talk about Michael Mann’s Heat are a few of the headliners confirmed for the Tribeca Festival’s Talks and Reunions lineup.
The festival will run from June 8-19 — a later slot than its longtime April-May home and a holdover from last year’s edition, a Covid comeback held largely at outdoor venues.
Swift made a splash as a filmmaker in 2021, directing, writing, producing and starring in the short film All Too Well, which went with an expanded new version of the song of the same title from her album Red. The 2012 album was re-recorded and released last fall.
Along with Swift, this year’s Tribeca Talks: Storytellers lineup includes Grammy winner Pharrell Williams; NBC Late Night host Seth Meyers in conversation with Saturday Night Live’s Aidy Bryant; Tony winner Cynthia Erivo; DJ Steve Aoki; comedian Tig Notaro; photographer and artist JR; director and stand-up comedian W Kamau Bell; and television writer-producer Phil Rosenthal in conversation with actor-director Alex Edelman. Read more
Yeah Yeah Yeahs appear to tease new music as they confirm New York and LA shows (NME)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs appear to have shared a snippet of new music while announcing headline shows in New York and Los Angeles.
After teasing the gigs over the weekend, the Karen O-led trio have confirmed they’ll take to the stage at NYC’s Forest Hills Stadium on October 1 before visiting the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California on October 6.
The Linda Lindas will open for the band on both dates, with Japanese Breakfast also appearing as a special guest in LA. An additional support act for the New York concert is still to be announced.
It’ll mark the first time Yeah Yeah Yeahs have played headline shows in New York and Los Angeles since 2017 and 2018 respectively. Read more
Chetan Bhagat’s hit novel ‘One Indian Girl’ set as film adaptation by Sony (Variety)
Film adaptation rights to hit Indian novelist Chetan Bhagat’s 2016 acclaimed book “One Indian Girl” have been acquired by Sony Pictures International Productions. The studio plans a Hindi-language adaptation that will go into development later this year.
Bhagat’s book, which broke pre-sale records on Amazon India when it was launched, revolves around a high-flying woman financier who is intelligent and successful, but finds it difficult to find love.
The author of nine novels, Bhagat is known for lucid and fast-moving stories that translate well into film. Previous film adaptations of Bhagat’s books include “3 Idiots” (based on Bhagat’s first novel “Five Point Someone”) “2 States” and the award-winning hit “Kai Po Che” (based on “The Three Mistakes of My Life”). He was involved in the scriptwriting of “Kai Po Che” and “Half Girlfriend.” Writing, cast, crew and production details of “One Indian Girl” have yet to be finalized.
Sony Pictures International Productions, co-headed by Shebnem Askin and Michael Rifkin, is the local-language production arm of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Motion Picture Group. It releases over 30 films annually across 12 territories around the world. Read more
Bolshoi scraps performances by directors critical of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine (TimesofIsrael)
Russia’s Bolshoi Theatre has announced it is canceling the performances directed by Kirill Serebrennikov and Timofey Kulyabin who have spoken out against Moscow’s military campaign in Ukraine.
Late Sunday, Russia’s top theater announced that instead of the three performances of “Nureev,” a ballet directed by Serebrennikov, the audiences this week will see a production of Aram Khachaturian’s ballet “Spartacus.”
The prestigious theater also said that instead of “Don Pasquale,” a comic opera by Gaetano Donizetti directed by Timofey Kulyabin, audiences this week will see a production of Gioachino Rossini’s “The Barber of Seville.”
The Bolshoi did not give any reason for the cancellations and spokeswoman Katerina Novikova told AFP on Monday that she had no “official” comment. Read more
2022 Country Music Hall of Fame: Ray Charles, The Judds, more inducted; Naomi Judd mourned
Country music’s strong roots in religion, family, and celebration were tested Sunday, and proved resilient during the 2022 edition of the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Medallion Ceremony.
The event honored iconic Black country-adoring musician Ray Charles, The Judds, and groundbreaking session musicians guitarist Pete Drake and drummer Eddie Bayers.
“We’re not gonna be sad today,” declared Hall of Fame member Ricky Skaggs upon inducting fellow Kentuckians Naomi and Wynonna Judd into the Hall. His remarks were in reference to the death, just one day prior, of Naomi, aged 76, of causes attributed to mental illness.
The decision to still hold the Medallion Ceremony in the wake of the tragedy was the choice of the Judd family. Read more
Ukrainian rock band details struggles of working on Ed Sheeran collaboration (BelfastTelegraph)
The lead singer of a Ukrainian band has described the difficulties the group faced while writing the lyrics for a collaboration with Ed Sheeran.
The band, Antytila, teamed up with 31-year-old Sheeran to create a remix of his track 2step, which will raise money for Ukraine.
Speaking to BBC News, Antytila’s lead singer, Taras Topolia, said: “It was not so easy to record the voice because our studio was under occupation while we were creating the lyrics for the song.
“So our studio was under occupation but we found a way to record the voice.” Read more
‘Very enterprising’: Four-year-old Dutch boy steals mother’s car for joyride (Euronews)
A four-year-old boy in the Netherlands stole his mother’s car and drove off for a nighttime joyride over the weekend, Dutch police said.
Officers were first alerted to reports of a toddler walking alone in the cold through the streets of Utrecht, barefoot and wearing only pyjamas.
The boy had been found by a bystander and was immediately taken to a local police station for examination, a teddy bear, and a cup of hot chocolate.
Officers soon received another report that a car belonging to the boy’s mother had been found abandoned nearby after hitting two parked vehicles. Read more
Daily Trust Golf Tourney winner, Helen jets out to Rwanda (Leadership)
Star Prize winner at the 2021 Daily Trust Golf Tournament, Helen Ayo Ikpan, has departed Abuja to Kigali, Rwanda in fulfillment of the benefits of emerging victorious in the competition.
A press statement issued by the Executive Director, Business & Strategy of Daily Trust, Ahmed I. Shekarau, said Helen departed for the fun-filled trip on Sunday, onboard RwandAir flight WB220, which took off from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, at about 1.50pm (13.50hours), flying directly into Kigali.
Helen was among the five female golfers out of the total 114 who played on the lush 18-hole 16km Ibom Course, and had emerged a star prize winner after a gross score of 92, net score of 78 and handicap score of 14.
The star prize winner, who is a member of the Tukur Yusuf Buratai (TYB) International Golf and Country Club, Abuja, said shortly before her departure from Abuja on Sunday, that: “I give Glory to God that Daily Trust and RwandAir have kept to their promise of providing me with this Business Class return ticket to play golf outside the shores of Nigeria. Read more
FIFA fine Senegal after Salah was targeted with dozens of laser (Independent)
FIFA has fined Senegal’s football federation £143,000 for disgraceful fan behaviour after dozens of green lasers were beamed into the face of Egypt’s Mohamed Salah as he prepared to take a spot kick during a penalty shootout.
The star was targeted in the World Cup qualifier at the Diamniadio Olympic Stadium outside Dakar, the capital of Senegal, on March 29, following an 1-1 draw between the two countries, over two legs.
Unsurprisingly, the Liverpool forward blasted his kick over the bar with TV pictures revealing his face illuminated by vivid green light. Salah’s club teammate, Sadio Mane, put Senegal through to the World Cup finals in Qatar, when he tucked away his kick.
Bitter recriminations followed the game, with the Egyptian Football Association claiming its players were the victims of racist abuse, bombarded with bottles and stones and also targeted by lasers throughout the match, which was watched by a raucous crowd of 50,000 people. Read more
Jurgen Klopp makes Newcastle comparison as Liverpool prepare for Champions League test
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes his side managed the intensity of the St James’ Park crowd well and has used it as an example of what they have to do when they face Villarreal away in the Champions League tomorrow.
The Reds put in a professional performance in their 1-0 win over Newcastle, limiting Eddie Howe’s side to a few stray Allan Saint-Maximin shots and a second half strike from Bruno Guimaraes over the course of the 90 minutes.
Before the game and early on in the contest, St James’ Park was filled with a raucous atmosphere, which looked to throw Liverpool off their stride for the opening 15 minutes of action.
However, Klopp’s side settled down after the opening stages, controlling both the game and the crowd as they continued their title push. Read more
Man Utd fans plotting mass walkout during Brentford game in Glazer protest (Express)
A group of Manchester United supporters will walk out of Old Trafford during Monday’s clash against Brentford, as another protest against the Glazer family is held. The owners have been targeted in their last two home games, and another protest is planned for their final fixture at Old Trafford this season.
Manchester United supporters are planning yet another protest against the Glazer family, with a mass walkout expected against Brentford.
Fans have been urged to join protests and walk out of Old Trafford in the 73rd minute of Monday’s clash against Brentford, missing the final 17 minutes. The number is significant as the Glazers have now owned United for 17 years, and a large group of supporters remain against their involvement at the club.
This isn’t the first protest that has been staged against the owners, and it certainly won’t be the last. But as Brentford is United’s final home game of the season, it’s their last chance to make their voices heard before the start of the next campaign. Read more
Audi and Porsche to enter Formula 1 (BBC)
German car companies Audi and Porsche have decided to enter Formula 1, the boss of their parent group Volkswagen said on Monday.
VW chief executive Herbert Diess said discussions about F1 at board level had created divisions within the group.
He said Audi and Porsche bosses, whose brands are VW’s biggest income generators, argued entering F1 would bring in more money than not doing so.
“You just run out of arguments [against it],” Diess said.
Speaking at an event in Wolfsburg, where VW is based, Diess added that Porsche’s preparations were more concrete than Audi’s, without specifying details. Read more
Karim Benzema sends message after Real Madrid’s title success (FootballEspana)
Karim Benzema has sent a message following Real Madrid’s latest La Liga title win.
Los Blancos wrapped up their 35th La Liga title on Saturday with a 4-0 win over Espanyol at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Carlo Ancelotti‘s men took the La Liga crown with four games to spare, and their latest title never really looked in doubt.
Amid a season of inconsistency for most, Los Blancos have remained steady, while also managing to reach the Champions League semi-final, and they are still hoping to reach the final next week. Read more
Rafael Nadal reveals his approach in Madrid (TennisWorld)
World No. 4 Rafael Nadal says he is taking a humble approach in Madrid as he is hoping his return goes well and he finishes the tournament in positive spirits. Nadal hasn’t played in any events so far this clay season as a rib injury forced him to withdraw from Monte Carlo and Barcelona.
Nadal hasn’t played a tennis match in a month and a half and he admits it won’t be easy in Madrid since he is lacking matches. “I have improved compared to when I arrived here [in Madrid], but I still have ups and downs, because it’s been a long time.
It’s going to be a difficult week,” Nadal said, as quoted on the ATP Tour. “That’s the reality. We have to be calm, we have to accept that things are going to be far away from perfection, but then onwards we just have to fight.
I’m recovered. I feel good. “It’s a very tight tournament for me,” Nadal added when asked about his preparation time. “We will have to take the positives and perhaps I will have good moments playing on court. Read more