62 shops, houses destroyed in Lagos market fire outbreak (ThisDay)
A total of 62 shops, and some residential buildings, Saturday, were destroyed after fire gutted Ijesha market in Oshodi area of the state.
The fire incident, which was said to have started at about 5pm and put out at 8.50pm, affected 62 traders and about 28 households.
According to the Southwest Zonal Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, “The fire was suspected to have started from a room, converted to shop while cooking and gas cylinder gutted fire.”
He said though no life was lost or injury sustained, immense properties were lost. Read more
Police arrest three Lagos-based robbery suspects in Ogun (Vanguard)
Operatives of Ogun State Command of Nigeria Police have arrested three suspected armed robbers who came from Lagos State to carry out robbery operation in Ogun State.
A statement by the command spokesman, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi said the three men; Samuel Sunday, a 20 years old resident of Fagba in Lagos State, Adeleke Mustapha; a 22years old resident of Ajala area of Lagos State and Joel Rotimi, a 19 years old resident of Taju Bello street Agbado, Ogun state were arrested on Thursday, 14 January 2021.
Oyeyemi noted that the arrest of the suspected robbers followed a distress call received by the police in Ajuwon from residents of Iju Aga area of Ajuwon at about 1:45 am that armed hoodlums numbering about six have invaded the area and dispossessing innocent members of the community of their valuables. Read more
2,663 inmates in Lagos correction centres in 2020 are awaiting trial – DPP (DailyTrust)
The Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), Lagos State Ministry of Justice, has said that 2,663 inmates out of 2,423 representing 91 per cent of total inmates enrolled at the five federal correctional centres in the state, as at December 2020, are awaiting trial.
The information, which is contained in the Annual Report of the Lagos Criminal Information System (LCIS), and obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday, in Lagos, cited the centres as Ikoyi, Badagry, Kirikiri Female, Medium and Maximum Correctional centres as having a total of 186 convicts, 40 condemned convicts and three lifers.
In the year 2020, a number of factors clogged the wheel of administration of criminal justice in Lagos, according to the report, which identified the factors to include irregular court sittings and long adjournments of criminal cases due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Others were the #EndSARS civil unrest, during which the Igbosere High Court, in Lagos Island, was burnt down, halting the hearing of criminal trials in the affected courtrooms. Read more
Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway ready in April (Vanguard)
Mr Funsho Adebiyi, Nigeria’s Coordinating Director, Highway Construction and Rehabilitation, says the ongoing first phase reconstruction and rehabilitation project of the Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki expressway would be delivered in April.
Adebiyi during an assessment tour of the construction site on Sunday in Lagos, said normalcy had been restored on the road which before construction was in a deplorable state which caused accidents, gridlock and hardship.
He assured that the “bad days are over in Apapa” as the project being done under the tax credit scheme of the federal government by the Dangote Group was nearing completion.
He said that sections one, three and four of the project were almost ready and would be completed in April. Read more
18 Kano traders kidnapped in Kogi regain freedom (ThisDay)
The eighteen Kano traders from Kantn Kwari textile market abducted in Kogi on their way to Aba in Abia State have regained their freedom.
President, Arewa Youth Traders Association of Nigeria, Alhaji Abubakar Babawo, confirmed the release of the businessmen to THISDAY in Kano on Sunday.
“The 18 Kano traders who were among the 27 traders regained their freedom on Saturday evening. They slept in Kaduna and they are now on their way to Kano.
‘’We are expecting them today in Kano as we have been communicating with them. Read more
Ex-minister, Martins-Kuye, dies at 78 (NewTelegraph)
A former Minister of State for Finance and Minister of Commerce and Industry, Senator Jubril Martins-Kuye, has died at 78.
One of his children, Bolaji, confirmed this on Sunday.
“I can confirm to you that he passed on about 10: 05 this morning. It was a painful loss to us, but, we give glory to God for the impactful life that he lived while he was alive because he touched the lives of many people.
“He died at 78 in his residence at Victoria Garden City, Lagos.
“We are about to convey his remains to his home town where he would be hopefully interred by 4 pm, according to Islamic rites,” he said. Read more
NDDC: Akpabio denies offering $5m bribe to Malami (DailyTrust)
The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godswill Akpabio has threatened to sue an online publication over a report that he gave the sum of $5 million in bribes to Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN).
An online publication in its social media handle last week, claimed the minister offered the AGF $5 million bribe to facilitate the appointment of Effiong Akwa as the Sole Administrator for the NDDC.
The AGF Malami had also denied receiving any bribe to facilitate the appointment.
Reacting through his special adviser on media, Anietie Ekong on Sunday, Akpabio said the allegation was a “figment of the imagination of mischief makers which was published without proof.” Read more
Foreign diplomats must get NIN – FG (Nation)
The Federal Government on Sunday said it is mandatory for foreign diplomats to obtain the National Identity Numbers (NIN).
It said an enrolment centre has been established for them at the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, said the Special Centre will be managed by his ministry.
Pantami, in a statement by his Technical Assistant, Dr Femi Adeluyi, said the centre is being set up based on the request of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama. Read more
Baby left in shopping trolley after parents drive home before they realise he is missing (news.com.au)
A baby was left in a shopping trolley at a supermarket after its parents drove home before realising their mistake.
The four-month-old boy was found alone in the child seat of a trolley at a supermarket a few days ago in Lages, Brazil.
Locals who found the infant alerted the supermarket’s security guards and the police.
One passer-by who recorded the incident can be seen asking the baby where its parents were.
They said: “Have they left you here?
“I’ve called security … Where are your mummy and daddy?
“Where? Where are your forgetful mother and father?” Read more
Two Afghan female judges shot dead in Kabul ambush (AlJazeera)
Two female judges have been killed by unknown gunmen in an ambush early on Sunday in Afghanistan’s capital.
The attack on the Supreme Court judges took place as they were driving to work, Ahmad Fahim Qaweem, a court spokesman, said. Kabul police confirmed the attack.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack and spokesman for the Taliban armed group Zabihullah Mujahid said the group was not responsible.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan in recent months despite ongoing peace talks between the Taliban and government – especially in Kabul where a new trend of targeted killings aimed at high-profile figures has sown fear in the city. Read more
Russia’s Navalny to return home after poisoning (BBC)
Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny is due back in Moscow later on Sunday for the first time since he was nearly killed last year by a nerve agent attack.
He says the authorities were behind the attempt on his life, an allegation backed up by investigative journalists but denied by the Russian government.
Mr Navalny, 44, faces arrest on his return from Germany, where he has been receiving medical treatment.
But he has appealed to supporters to meet him off the flight. Read more
Thousands evacuated at Frankfurt Airport as ‘arrests made over rogue suitcase’ (Metro)
Thousands were evacuated at Frankfurt Airport tonight after a police operation was launched in relation to an unattended suitcase. Footage allegedly taken during the incident appeared to show armed officers surrounding a person on the ground in terminal one. Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident, while police are still hunting for a third person, according to local media. The abandoned luggage was found to be harmless, reports claim. Federal and state police are currently investigating. Read more
Bobi Wine to legally contest Uganda vote, urges non-violence (AlJazeera)
Bobi Wine, Uganda’s most prominent opposition figure, cut a lonely figure as he addressed journalists in central Kampala on Tuesday, two days before a tense presidential election.
Most of the team of the music star-turned-politician who is taking on the country’s president of 35 years have been imprisoned during a campaign season marred by deadly violence.
Scores of his supporters were killed in November and others badly wounded as police violently broke down opposition rallies, often firing tear gas and rubber bullets.
Bobi Wine, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, has been repeatedly arrested himself and in recent weeks campaigned in a flak jacket and ballistic helmet. Read more
Indonesia earthquake: Heavy rain hampers search for survivors (BBC)
Indonesian officials say heavy rain is hampering the search for survivors following a powerful earthquake on Sulawesi island on Friday.
The death toll has now risen to 73, including five members of one family.
Thousands of people left homeless are living in makeshift shelters, and there are fears of a Covid outbreak there.
In recent days Indonesia has endured deadly landslides, the loss of a Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737 with 62 people on board, and a volcanic eruption. Read more
“Outside The Wire”: Who is in the cast of the Netflix movie? (Metro)
Outside The Wire has officially dropped on Netflix, kicking off the streaming giant’s massive 2021 slate of movies. The action-packed sci-fi, set in the near future, sees a drone pilot (Damson Idris) sent into a war zone and paired with an android officer (Anthony Mackie) on a mission to stop a nuclear attack. Basically, it’s all go as the pair team up to find a doomsday device and stop the end of the world – so no pressure there. Marvel star Anthony leads the stellar cast, and viewers might see familiar faces as the stars have appeared in just about everything from House of Cards to Emmerdale. Read more
Liverpool test Man Utd title credentials at Anfield (DailyTrust)
Champions Liverpool will today host Premier League leaders Manchester United at Anfield in what is the biggest fixture this weekend.
The two most successful clubs in the history of English football currently occupy the top two positions in the table, separated by only three points heading into this mouth-watering Merseyside meeting.
In 232 games between the clubs since 1894, United have come out on top 88 times, whereas Liverpool have won 77. Some 67 matches have ended with honours even. In the last 10 meetings, there have been six draws.
It is the first time Man United have been top after as many as 17 games of a season since Sir Alex Ferguson led them to their 20th title in 2012-13, a tally Liverpool moved back to within one of with their triumph last season. Read more
Max Holloway lands more strikes than any fight in UFC history (news.com.au)
Max Holloway talked the talk and walked the walk.
The 29-year-old put on a striking clinic in his unanimous decision win (50-43 x 2, 50-42) over Calvin Kattar in Abu Dhabi on Sunday morning (AEDT), and still found time to engage in some mid-fight trash talk with people outside the Octagon.
Holloway landed a UFC-record 445 significant strikes in the fight, a number that also represented the most combined significant strikes in any fight in the promotion’s history.
Put simply, the Hawaiian started swinging from the opening bell and never stopped.
UFC reporter Marc Raimondi called it an “absolutely insane number”. Read more
Napoli thrash Fiorentina to go third (Guardian)
Napoli’s Italian forward Lorenzo Insigne scored twice in a 6-0 win over Fiorentina.
Lorenzo Insigne scored twice and set up another as Napoli thumped Fiorentina 6-0 on Sunday to move into third in Serie A.
Napoli got back to winning ways in their newly-named Diego Armando Maradona Stadium after falling to promoted Spezia in their last home match.
Gennaro Gattuso’s side came out firing despite the absence of midfielder Fabian Ruiz who tested positive for Covid-19 on Saturday. Nigerian forward Victor Osimhen was also missing.
Insigne got the first goal after just five minutes following good work from Hirving Lozano and Andrea Petagna. Read more
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk posts major update on knee injury (Metro)
Liverpool supporters will have breathed a collective sigh of relief on Sunday morning as Virgil van Dijk shared a positive video update on his recovery which showed him doing ball work on a pitch for the first time. The 29-year-old, widely regarded as the Premier League’s standout central defender, has been sidelined since Liverpool’s bad-tempered 2-2 draw at Goodison Park back in mid-October, where he was forced off after a shocking challenge from Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. Scans showed Van Dijk had suffered an ACL tear and therefore required surgery and the Premier League champions have struggled in the Dutchman’s absence across a difficult winter period, with centre-back partner Joe Gomez also out injured. Read more
Zango leaps into record books with world indoor triple jump mark (AlJazeera)
Hugues Fabrice Zango has become the first Burkinabe athlete to set a world record when he posted the longest ever indoor triple jump with a leap of 18.07 metres (59.28 feet).
At an event on Saturday in Aubiere, France, 27-year-old Zango added 15 centimetres (5.9 inches) to the previous record, set by his own coach, Frenchman Teddy Tamgho, in 2011.
“When the student surpasses his master!!!” tweeted Tamgho along with a photo of Zango stood in front of the meet’s results cart.
“We already knew that the record had to fall. Now we get back to work because we mustn’t stop there,” said Tamgho, who started coaching Zango in July 2018, three years after the jumper arrived in France to study electrical engineering at Bethune University. Read more
Novak Djokovic reportedly issues six Australian Open proposals after quarantine chaos (news.com.au)
Men’s world No. 1 Novak Djokovic has reportedly issued a letter to Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley as the shambolic arrival of overseas participants continues.
On Sunday night, a third plane with a positive COVID-19 test reportedly arrived in Melbourne as players continued to complain about the conditions in quarantine.
But Spanish tennis website Punto de Break reported that Djokovic had called for Tiley to support the players who are being forced into the stricter quarantines.
Neither have confirmed the letter but journalist Fernando Murciego reported six proposals including:
— Fitness and training material in all rooms
— Decent food for elite athletes, following players taking aim at the meals on offer. Read more
Nigeria’s Ajayi helps West Brom to second win of season (BBC)
West Brom still “have their heads under water” but the derby win at Wolves gives them hope of Premier League survival, says manager Sam Allardyce.
Albion came from behind to claim victory in the Black Country derby as two penalties from Matheus Pereira helped them beat Wolves at Molineux.
It was only the Baggies’ second win of the season – and their first under new boss Allardyce – and the first time they had scored three times away from home in the Premier League in almost seven years.
While they remain in the relegation zone – five points from safety – it will provide fresh optimism about avoiding the drop.
“We are still drowning, we’ve still got our heads under the water, and the only way to get our heads above water is hard graft,” Allardyce said. Read more