8 feared dead in Lagos gang fight (Nation)
Eight persons were feared dead on Sunday night in street gang fights at Agege, Lagos, The Nation learnt yesterday.
The deceased persons were either shot, stabbed or hacked by armed men alleged to be Palace Boys loyal to one Mayor, as well as thugs from Shiaba, Pero and Otubu areas.
Although there had been clashes between the factions, it was gathered that Sunday night’s violence started over a disagreement on sharing formula of cash gifted them by a popular musician.
The artist, who grew up in Agege, was said to have visited the area on Saturday to watch a match and afterwards gave out N100,000 to the boys. Read more
No fire incident at TB Joshua’s tomb ― SCOAN (Tribune)
The Board of Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN), has refuted claims making the rounds on some media platforms (Nigerian Tribune), of a fire incident at the Ikotun-Egbe site of the main church premises, where the tomb of the founder of the church, Prophet Temitope Balogun (T.B) Joshua was buried.
Refuting the claim in a release made available to Tribune Online on Wednesday, the Church argued that contrary to the misleading media report, the minor fire outbreak, recorded on Wednesday, 27th April, 2022, was at the Church’s prayer resort at Agodo-Egbe, a different church site, which is over two kilometres away from the Ikotun-Egbe site.
Expressing shock, disappointment and embarrassment at the reports, in the statement signed by Mr James Akhigbe of its legal department, the church wondered why such reports could still be released by those media houses, despite the fact that a Press Statement on the incident was promptly issued by the Church, and made available to media houses.
It, therefore, expressed regrets that ‘a supposedly reputable media house’ could abandon all the known ethics of responsible journalism, in its handling of the issue. Read more
Guard bolts with Lagos resident’s dog after collecting first salary (Punch)
A newly recruited guard with a private security firm in Lagos State, Steven Meyor, has disappeared after allegedly stealing valuables from residents of a building he manned.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the 21-year-old was employed by Concentric Security early April this year and was posted to a residential apartment in Sogunle in the Oshodi-Isolo Local Government Area of Lagos State.
Meyor allegedly fled his place of posting on April 30, 2022 after he was paid his first salary.
A resident, Frank Osagie, told our correspondent that the guard fled with his Shitzu dog, vehicle parts, electronics, a wall fan, among others. Read more
ASUU Strike: Students protest in Benin, block major roads (DailyTrust)
Students from the University of Benin (UNIBEN) and Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, on Wednesday, staged a protest in Benin over the 79 day-old industrial action by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The students urged the federal government to resolve the impasse with the academic union in order to return to class.
The protesting students in their number barricaded the Oba Ovonramwen Square, popularly known as Ring Road, thereby causing gridlock in the heart of Benin City.
They were chanting solidarity songs with a message that they were tired of staying at home as the over two-month-old strike had caused a disruption to their academic calendar and affected their plans. Read more
CAN denounces pastor auctioning heaven’s ‘ticket’ for N310,000 (Guardian)
Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Kaduna State chapter, has disowned a ‘pastor’ who promised members of his congregation heaven for N310,000 each. The Chairman, Rev. Joseph Hayab, denounced the proclamation of Ade Abraham, while urging Christians in the state to disregard the fraudulent proclamation.
In a statement, yesterday, in Kaduna, Hayab noted: “The attention of CAN, Kaduna State chapter, has been drawn to the news in some sections of the media about one pastor described as Ade Abraham, offering to take his members to heaven if they pay N310,000.
“Though Abraham’s offer of a ticket to heaven is cheaper than the ransom Kaduna bandits ask their victims; sadly, CAN has not found anyone that knows the location of the church or established a church in Kaduna town with that name.”
According to Hayab, a faceless character like Ade Abraham can easily give the faith of the community a bad name, especially that CAN cannot trace his whereabouts or find any useful information about his whereabouts in Kaduna. Read more
PDP upholds the disqualification of Ndukwe, Anakwenze (Sun)
Indications emerged, yesterday, that the Peoples Democratic Party ( PDP) has upheld the disqualification of Cosmas Ndukwe and Nwachukwu Anakwenze by its presidential screening panel.
The duo was disqualified by the screening panel headed by former Senate President, David Mark, last Friday, who appeared before the Appeal panel, yesterday.
The Mark committee had cleared former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Bauchi State governor, Bala Mohammed, former Anambra State governor, Peter Obi and Sokoto State governor, Aminu Tambuwal.
Others were Nyesom Wike, Emmanuel Udom, governors of Rivers and Akwa Ibom states respectively, as well as former Senate President, Bukola Saraki, former Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose and publisher of Ovation Magazine, Dele Momodu. Read more
Uzodimma orders immediate renovation of schools, health centres in Imo (Vanguard)
Gov. Hope Uzodimma of Imo has directed immediate renovation of primary and secondary schools as well as health centres in the state.
The governor gave the directive on Wednesday at an interactive session with traditional rulers, chairmen of local government councils and other stakeholders in the state, at the Government House, Owerri.
Uzodimma, who expressed satisfaction with the level of work on the ongoing construction and renovation projects, directed that attention be shifted to renovation of the 305 health centres and rural schools in the state.
He said that the essence of the interactive session was to acquaint the stakeholders with progress reports on the government’s grassroots development initiative. Read more
Lagos trains pharmacists to help victims of domestic violence (Punch)
THE Lagos State Government has trained community licensed pharmacists in the provision of immediate care and referral services for survivors of domestic violence.
According to a statement on Wednesday, the Executive Secretary of the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency, Mrs Titilola Vivour-Adeniyi, noted that the training was organised to educate pharmacists on how to render medical assistance to victims of domestic abuse.
She said, “The training was necessary for licensed pharmacists to educate them on rendering appropriate medical assistance and support to survivors of domestic abuse.
“Community licensed pharmacies have consultation or counselling rooms that can serve as safe spaces for victims of domestic violence who wish to disclose their issues and receive assistance.” Read more
Industry stakeholders see entertainment as driver of social change (ThisDay)
Industry stakeholders who gathered at the ninth edition of the Nigerian Entertainment Conference (NECLive9), have stressed the importance of entertainment in driving social change in the Nigerian society.
Speaking at the hybrid conference, which held virtually and physically in Lagos at the weekend, the convener, Mr. Ayeni Adekunle said: “Nigeria has great talents in the entertainment industry who are doing the country proud, both at local and global levels. Nigerian music and films are celebrated globally. In order to further celebrate the Nigerian entertainment industry, we started the Nigeria Entertainment Conference (NECLive) in 2013 and today we are celebrating NECLive9, which is the ninth edition of the NECLive series. My dream is to see the Nigerian entertainment industry have measurable impact on the Nigerian economy, create more jobs and build more infrastructure in the country.”
The first keynote speaker, who is an advocate of the voiceless, Mr. Debo Adedayo, spoke on the theme: ‘Advocacy and Governance: How Best to use Entertainment to Drive Social Change.’
According to him, through drama, movies, music and film production, the Nigerian entertainment industry is educating Nigerians and the rest of the world, to bring about social change in the society. Read more
Cannes: Sally Phillips comedy ‘How to Please a Woman’ sells to US, UK (THR)
European sales group Beta Cinema has closed multiple territory deals for How To Please A Woman, a Brit comedy starring Sally Phillips (Veep, Bridget Jones’ Diary) ahead of the film’s market screening in Cannes later this month.
Brainstorm Media picked up all U.S. rights for the film, which sees Phillips play a 50-year wallflower who sets up a home-cleaning service featuring sexy male cleaners who provide “extra benefits” for their female clients. Brainstorm plans to bow the film theatrically in the U.S. July 22.
“We fell in love with this movie as we feel most people will when they see it,” said Brainstorm Media head of distribution Michelle Shwarzstein. “This film manages to tackle an often taboo subject in the funniest and most heartfelt way. People will walk away smiling.”
In other deals, Sky snatched up all U.K. rights, Mongrel Media took the film for Canada, Monolith Films for Poland and Madmen Entertainment secured rights in Australia and New Zealand. Mad Men is planning a wide theatrical release for How to Please a Woman in Australia on May 19 and in New Zealand on May 26. Read more
Tom Cruise arrives at world premiere of Top Gun: Maverick in a helicopter he piloted (People)
Tom Cruise knows how to arrive in style — and on brand!
At the premiere of his new movie Top Gun: Maverick, the film star, 59, landed on the USS Midway in San Diego, California, on Wednesday in a N547SA Airbus helicopter that he himself piloted.
Sporting American Optical’s pilot sunglasses, Cruise smiled as he exited the aircraft and walked along the tarmac, buttoning up the jacket of his bespoke navy Brioni three-piece suit. The copter in the background was branded with the film’s title as well as the actor’s name in large letters.
In the new film, the Mission: Impossible actor is reprising his role of Maverick over 35 years after the original Top Gun debuted this month in 1986. Read more
Mike Myers hints that a fourth Austin Powers movie may be coming (DailyMail)
With the 20th anniversary of the third Austin Powers movie – 2002’s Austin Powers in Goldmember – coming in July, star Mike Myers hinted that a fourth movie may be coming soon.
The 58-year-old actor was speaking with Jess Cagle on his Sirius XM show on Thursday, promoting his new Netflix series The Pentaverate, when he was asked about the possibility of Austin Powers 4.
While Myers has hinted at a fourth movie for nearly two decades, it seems like he may be closer than ever to making it happen.
When asked about a fourth Austin Powers movie, Myers stated, ‘I would love to do one. I can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of such a project, should it exist or not exist.’ Read more
Paul Kelly song How to Make Gravy to be adapted into a Christmas film (Guardian)
Paul Kelly’s How to Make Gravy, a much-loved Australian song about a man in prison writing home to his brother at Christmas time, is to be adapted into a film.
Variety reported on Thursday that Warner Bros Australia, with Speech and Drama Pictures – run by Australian musician Megan Washington and screenwriter and director Nick Waterman – has acquired the exclusive international film rights to the song.
The 1996 epistolary ballad, released by Kelly in 1996, tells the story of Joe, a prisoner writing to his brother Dan about his instructions to look after his family at Christmas, and his worries that Dan and his wife might fall in love in his absence.
It remains to be seen if the film will be released on the 21st of December, the date mentioned in the song’s opening lyrics and informally celebrated in Australia as Gravy Day. Read more
BFI, British Council unveil hot U.K. projects headed to Cannes in 2022 (Variety)
The BFI and British Council have revealed the line-up for this year’s Great8 showcase, which allows international distributors and festival programmers to get an early look at eight releases from emerging U.K. filmmakers in the run-up to Cannes Marché.
Now in its fifth year, the showcase on May 12 will allow filmmakers to screen unseen footage from the films, which will be available to buy during the market, which runs from May 17-28.
Of the eight films selected for the showcase, one has also been selected for the official Directors’ Fortnight and another for the Critics’ Week line-up. The remaining six films are in post-production.
The Great8 showcase is funded and organized by the BFI and the British Council, in partnership with BBC Film and Film4. It has previously presented films including “I Am Not A Witch” and “Calm with Horses.” Read more
“Obi-Wan Kenobi”‘s first official trailer is unveiled for May 4th (People)
Star Wars fans got a new look at the upcoming series, Obi-Wan Kenobi, on Wednesday, in honor of Star Wars Day: May the 4th.
The first official trailer for the Disney+ show premiering later this month showed much more of Ewan McGregor, who is reprising the titular role of the legendary Jedi after 17 years. A teaser for Obi-Wan Kenobi was previously released in early March.
In the dramatic first look, viewers get a glimpse at the Empire’s hunt for the last remaining individuals practicing the Force. Obi-Wan is among those being hunted.
“They’re coming,” Obi-Wan warns. “Stay hidden or we will not survive.” Read more
EU calls on member nations to ban all Russian oil (PBS)
The European Union’s top official on Wednesday called on the 27-nation bloc to ban oil imports from Russia and target the country’s biggest bank and major broadcasters in a sixth package of sanctions over the war in Ukraine.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, addressing the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, proposed having EU member nations phase out imports of crude oil within six months and refined products by the end of the year.
“We will make sure that we phase out Russian oil in an orderly fashion, in a way that allows us and our partners to secure alternative supply routes and minimizes the impact on global markets,” von der Leyen said.
The proposals must be unanimously approved to take effect and are likely to be the subject of fierce debate. Von der Leyen conceded that getting all 27 member countries — some of them landlocked and highly dependent on Russia for energy supplies — to agree on oil sanctions “will not be easy.” Read more
Ahead his appointment: Peseiro plans new Eagles roles for Ndidi, Moses Simon (Sun)
The proposed Super Eagles manager, Jose Peseiro is reportedly planning to make major changes in the senior national team ahead of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
It was gathered that the Portuguese has identified some players he could trust at Super Eagles going forward, just as the 62-year-old intends to give young players opportunities too.
Peseiro has studied Maduka Okoye, whose performances have come under fire in recent times, in recent weeks and the Portuguese intends to try and get the best out of the Watford bound goalkeeper.
The former Al Ahly boss will also try to integrate Ademola Lookman, Akinkunmi Amoo and Calvin Bassey to the national team set up. Read more
Anthony Joshua reveals gentleman’s agreement with Tyson Fury (GMS)
Anthony Joshua has revealed he has a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with Tyson Fury to fight each other.
Fury, 33, made it 32-0 before announcing his retirement from boxing.
The Gypsy King knocked out Dillian Whyte in the sixth round to retain his WBC heavyweight title.
Joshua, meanwhile, is set to do battle with Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia this summer in a rematch of their title fight at Wembley Stadium in September. Read more
Man City have to accept madness of football: Guardiola (France24)
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola put his side’s latest Champions League collapse down to the unpredictability of football after Real Madrid produced a stunning late fightback to reach the final.
City led 1-0 on the night at the Santiago Bernabeu and 5-3 on aggregate heading into the 90th minute before two goals in 88 seconds from substitute Rodrygo sent the game to extra time.
Karim Benzema then slotted home the winner from the penalty spot to send the 13-time winners into the final against Liverpool on May 28 in Paris.
City on the other hand are still waiting to be crowned European champions despite the billions invested by the club’s Abu Dhabi-based owners over the past 14 years. Read more
Ter Stegen to miss Germany’s Nations League ties in June (France24)
Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen will miss Germany’s Nations League games against England, Italy and Hungary this June, the goalkeeper announced on Wednesday.
The 30-year-old is an understudy to Germany captain Manuel Neuer and has opted to take a break this summer with one eye on the World Cup finals in Qatar, which kicks off this November.
He said he was given approval from Germany head coach Hansi Flick.
“I’m happy every time I am selected, but on the other hand, after three intensive seasons without a summer break, the national coach agrees that I need this,” ter Stegen told the German football association’s website. Read more
Wolff says Mercedes will trial two upgrades, dismisses ‘tensions’ between Hamilton and Russell (Formula1News)
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has confirmed that the team have upgrades planned for the next two races in a bid to haul themselves out of the dire position they are currently in.
The arrival of the new technical regulations saw the return of ground effect aerodynamics, and Mercedes have been struggling immensely with “porpoising” as the car bounces off the ground, costing them time on the straights and affecting the handling in the corners.
The upgrade they brought to the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix did little to solve the issue, and the bouncing was so severe that Sir Lewis Hamilton and George Russell found themselves having to lift on the straights to improve visibility and remain in control heading into braking zones and corners.
Russell ended the race in Bologna in fourth position, while Hamilton finished down in 13th after a woeful weekend for the seven-time champion, leaving the Silver Arrows with plenty of work to do if they are to resurrect their title-winning form. Read more
Packers to face Giants in London as NFL confirms overseas schedule (RTE)
Aaron Rodgers’ Green Bay Packers will take on the New York Giants as the NFL brings three games to London later this year.
The Packers became the 32nd and final team to play in the capital since it first hosted a regular-season game in 2007 and will take on the Giants at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on 9 October.
Spurs will be hosting games on back-to-back weekends, with the New Orleans Saints – who currently have Irish-born punter Dan Whelan on their roster – taking on the Minnesota Vikings on 2 October.
The Jacksonville Jaguars continue their long-standing residency in London when welcoming the Denver Broncos, and their new quarterback Russell Wilson, to Wembley Stadium on 30 October. Read more