9 die, 1 rescued in Ojuelegba truck accident (Guardian)
Four adult males, three adult females, one boy child and one girl child lost their lives in the Ojuelegba truck accident, while one adult female was rescued alive on Sunday, January 29, 2023.
The truck conveying a 20ft container landed on a commercial bus.
Permanent Secretary (PS), of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu, said investigations revealed that the bus was picking up passengers when the truck lost control and fell over the side of the bridge.
“After suspending the container load with the aid of the Agency’s forklift and cutting off the top of the bus with light rescue equipment, a single adult woman was extricated alive and taken to the trauma centre. Read more
Popular northern female influencer, Murja Kunya, arrested (DailyTrust)
A popular comedy skit maker, Murja Kunya, has been arrested by the police at Tahir Hotel in Kano.
The police arrested the Kano-based young lady while trying to book rooms for her guests who came from far and near for her much-publicised birthday bash.
In September last year, a Sharia court had written to the Kano State Commissioner of Police to arrest and investigate Miss Kunya alongside other TikTokers for ‘corrupting the morals of the society.’
Other TikTokers included in the letter are Mr 442, Safara’u, Dan Maraya, Amude Booth, Kawu Dan Sarki, Ado Gwanja, Ummi Shakira, Samha Inuwa and Babiana. Read more
Why Buhari approved 10-day extension of old naira swap — Emefiele (Vanguard)
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the request by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, for the extension of the deadline for swapping old Naira notes to the redesigned ones to February 10.
The CBN has before now given a January 31 deadline for the exchange of old naira notes of N200, N500 and N1000 with the new ones.
A seven-day grace period, beginning on February 10 to February 17, 2023, has also been approved to enable Nigerians to deposit their old notes at the CBN after the February deadline when the old currency would cease to be recognised as legal tender. Read more
Why blue line infrastructure must be protected– LAMATA (Nation)
Following the completion of the infrastructure for the first phase of the Lagos Rail Mass Transit (LMRT) Blue Line, a 13-kilometre stretch from Marina to Mile 2, the Managing Director, Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority, LAMATA, Engr. Mrs. Abimbola Akinajo, has admonished Lagosians to own and protect the structure and facility provided to aid rail operations.
The LAMATA MD gave advice whilst fielding questions on a monitored broadcast programme ‘Your View’ anchored by Morayo Afolabi-Brown, on Television Continental.
She said the completion of the infrastructure was a significant milestone achievement by the Lagos State government under the leadership of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and therefore urged Lagosians to protect the rail infrastructure from vandalism to avoid wasting the commonwealth investment. “I want to speak about owning this infrastructure. Let us not under any circumstance begin to vandalize it. If the state spends money three times on something that it is supposed to do once, then all of us will be the ones paying,” she said. Read more
Sanwo-Olu withdraws from governorship debate with Jandor, gives reasons (Tribune)
Lagos State governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, condemned the “shocking video” trending where a group of thugs were seen shooting in broad daylight in Surulere area of the state, and has consequently withdrawn from participating at the programme tagged: “The Platform Governorship Debate” holding on January 29, 2023.
The programme is being packaged by Pastor Poju Oyemade of the Covenant Christian Church family, to feature governorship candidates contesting the 2023 election in the state.
Governor Sanwo-Olu made this known in a statement titled: “Lagos will never condone violence,” a copy of which was made available to newsmen by the State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso. Read more
Container-laden truck falls on commercial bus, kills 8 in Lagos (Leadership)
Less than a month after a container-laden truck killed one person on the Apapa-Oshodi expressway, another fully loaded 20ft container that exited the Apapa port enroute a warehouse, has fell on a commercial bus (Danfo) killing eight persons at Ojuelegba Bus-Stop in Lagos on Sunday.
In a press statement by the permanent secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency
(LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said one person was rescued alive.
According to him, the bus was picking passengers when the truck lost control and fell on top of the commercial bus, killing six adults and two children. Read more
NDLEA busts trans-border cartel, arrests 5 kingpins (DailyTrust)
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have successfully burst a trans-border drug cartel and arrested five leaders of the syndicates operating in parts of the world in a special operation that lasted weeks during which different quantities of skunk, methamphetamine and ephedrine, as well as air compressors used to conceal and distribute them globally, were recovered.
The spokesman of the agency, Femi Babafemi, said on Sunday in Abuja that the special operation came on the heels of a warning by the Chairman/Chief Executive of the Agency, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd) that drug barons and cartels will have it rough in 2023 if they fail to back out of the criminal business.
According to him, leaders of the cartel which spreads across Dubai, UAE; Cotonou, Benin Republic; Togo; Oman, Thailand and Europe as well as Lagos, Imo and Onitsha in Anambra state, had while on Christmas and New Year holidays in their villages were still coordinating efforts to send their illicit consignments to Dubai and other parts of the world. Read more
11 passengers burnt to death on Ore-Benin expressway accident (Guardian)
No fewer than 11 people were burnt to death on Sunday on Soka bridge, Ore, on the Ore-Benin expressway in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
Mr Sikiru Alonge, the Unit Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ore Unit told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that a trailer had a head-on collision with a passenger Marcopolo bus.
Alonge said the victims were burnt beyond recognition as the two vehicles caught fire. Read more
Jennifer Lopez snubs ex Marc Anthony’s 4th wedding as he marries girlfriend (Mirror)
Jennifer Lopez’s ex-husband Marc Anthony, 54, has married for the fourth time to a 23-year-old model.
The musician’s new wife is a former Miss Universe contestant Nadia Ferreira and the pair got engaged eight-months ago.
David Beckham was his best man and stood by his side as he married his bride. Read more
Nile Rodgers is working on new music with St. Vincent (NME)
Nile Rodgers has confirmed he’s currently working on new music with St. Vincent.
Taking to Instagram to share a photo of the pair together, Rodgers wrote: “Working on new music with St. Vincent”.
He went on to describe St Vincent as “so real deal” and called the experience “fucking wonderful”. Read more
Michelle Williams says Steven Spielberg’s mother ”redefined” motherhood (RTE)
Michelle Williams has said Steven Spielberg’s mother “redefined what a mother could be according to who she wanted to be” while speaking about starring in the director’s semi-autobiographical film The Fabelmans.
The 42-year-old actress plays the role of Mitzi Fabelman – a character based on Spielberg’s mother Leah – in the Oscar-nominated movie.
Speaking to The Guardian about the experience, which started with 76-year-old Spielberg approaching Williams with a request to play the part, the actress said: “I think the way that she (Leah) looked at her children was the first thing that I connected to. Read more
Breaking Bad and The Mandalorian star lands next movie role (DigitalSpy)
Giancarlo Esposito, star of Breaking Bad and The Mandalorian has landed his next movie role in Francis Ford Coppola’s latest project Megalopolis.
The film, which has begun shooting in Atlanta and New York, adds Esposito to an already impressive cast (via Deadline). Esposito, who is best known for his portrayal of Gus Fring in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, will join the likes of Adam Driver, Forest Whitaker, Aubrey Plaza, Shia LaBeouf, Dustin Hoffman, and Jon Voight.
Joining them are stars Laurence Fishburne, Nathalie Emmanuel, Chloe Fineman, Bailey Ives, Jason Schwartzman, Kathryn Hunter, DB Sweeney, Talia Shire, James Remar, and Grace Vanderwaal. Read more
Protests begin across US after police release footage of fatal beating of Tyre Nichols (ABC)
Protests have broken out across the US after the public release of videos showing five officers savagely beating Tyre Nichols, who later died.
The videos from police body-worn cameras and a camera mounted on a utility pole were posted online a day after the officers were charged with second-degree murder, assault, kidnapping, official misconduct and oppression in relation to Mr Nichols’ death.
Four video clips chronicle an aggressive escalation of violence directed at a motorist, who police had initially said they pulled over for reckless driving. The police chief has since said the cause for the stop has not been substantiated. Read more
Jerusalem shooting: 13-year-old held over 2nd attack in days (BBC)
A 13-year-old Palestinian boy was behind a shooting in Jerusalem on Saturday, Israeli police have said.
Two people – a father and son – were seriously wounded, while the attacker was shot and injured by passers by and is being held in hospital.
It came after seven people were killed, and at least three more injured, in a shooting on Friday at a synagogue in East Jerusalem.
Police have arrested 42 people in connection with that attack. Read more
Israeli cabinet sets out measures to arm settlers, expel Palestinians (NewArab)
The Israeli cabinet has approved a raft of punitive measures to “strengthen” Jewish settlements, make it easier for Israelis to carry guns, and speed up the expulsion of Palestinians from east Jerusalem on Sunday, in the wake of this week’s violence.
The military also moved to intensify protection of illegal settlements and bolster its forces in the occupied West Bank.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced plans to “strengthen the settlements” this weekend – but gave no further details. Read more
Iheanacho now to get more time in starting line-up, Rodgers says (Guardian)
Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers on Saturday assured that Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho would now be having a good measure of playing time at the club.
Rodgers gave the assurance while speaking with reporters after Iheanacho spared Leicester City from a potential FA Cup giant-killing.
The Nigeria forward’s second-half goal saw the Foxes beat fourth-tier Walsall 1-0 in their 2022/2023 English FA Cup fourth round match, to advance to the fifth round.
Leicester City beat fourth-tier strugglers Gillingham by a single Iheanacho goal last time out and faced a stern test from a hard-working, high-energy Walsall side. Read more
Serie A: Lookman vows to outshine Osimhen in goal race (Punch)
Ademola Lookman is confident catching and surpassing his compatriot Victor Osimhen in the race for the Serie A topscorer award this season, Saturday PUNCH reports.
Lookman who is Serie A’s second highest scorer this season after notching 11 goals in 18 games, making him the second most prolific scorer in the league behind Nigeria team-mate Victor Osimhen who has notched 13 for league leaders Napoli.
When asked of his chances of finishing ahead of Osimhen, the 25-year-old told The Athletic, “No, not when he’s above you, anyway” , laughs Lookman. Read more
Moises Caicedo: Midfielder made ”mistake” asking to leave Brighton, says Roberto de Zerbi (BBC)
Moises Caicedo made a “mistake” in asking to leave Brighton, says manager Roberto de Zerbi.
The 21-year-old Ecuador midfielder told Brighton in an open letter he wanted a transfer after bids from both Arsenal and Chelsea.
Caicedo was told by the club to take time off until after Tuesday’s transfer deadline, meaning he was absent from Sunday’s FA Cup tie with Liverpool.
“We hope he stays with us until the end of the season,” de Zerbi told ITV. Read more
Milan’s title defence in tatters after home humbling by Sassuolo (RFI)
AC Milan’s season went even further off the rails on Sunday after a humiliating 5-2 home defeat at the hands of Sassuolo left them at risk of dropping out of the Champions League places.
Everything that could go wrong for troubled Milan did at a gloriously sunny San Siro, with two goals ruled out for offside and a shocking defensive display condemning the champions to a second straight heavy loss after being hammered 4-0 at Lazio on Tuesday.
Stefano Pioli’s side dropped down to fourth and will find themselves a whopping 15 points off the Scudetto pace if league leaders Napoli beat fierce rivals Roma in Sunday’s late match. Read more
Anthony Davis blasts NBA referees for missing the game-winning foul call on LeBron James (BasketballNetwork)
Anthony Davis was fuming on the NBA refs after a controversial foul call ensured Los Angeles Lakers were deprived of another massive win. With the officials making it a habit to not decide the outcome of the game with their whistle, Darvin Ham’s team found itself harmed. But this time the 8-time All-Star was in no mood to let go of the issue easily.
When the media reporters asked Anthony Davis about his thoughts on a clear contact by Jayson Tatum on LeBron James not being called for, he responded, “It’s bulls**t at the end of the day, it’s unacceptable. We got cheated tonight, honestly. It’s a blatant foul. Pat (Beverley) got all ball on Jaylen Brown. Called a foul. And Bron gets smacked across his arm. It’s unacceptable, to be honest.”
The Boston Celtics might’ve ended their 3-game losing streak but it has come at the expense of the Los Angeles Lakers. Read more
McIlroy takes 3-shot lead into Dubai final round (RTE)
Rory McIlroy takes a three-shot lead into the final round of the Hero Dubai Desert Classic after shooting an impressive seven-under 65 in Sunday’s third round.
The weather-affected tournament will have a Monday finish in Dubai and McIlroy is in prime position to secure the title following a birdie-filled Sunday for the four-time major winner.
Eight birdies in total for the County Down man as he opened with four in a row to move to the top of the leaderboard, and McIlroy pushed further clear on the back nine as he hit three on the bounce from 13 to 15, before adding another on the driveable 17th. Read more