EFCC still questioning Obi Cubana after 4 days (Nation)
The interrogation of popular business mogul Obi Cubana by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has entered the fourth day.
An official of the anti-graft agency said the socialite was still being grilled with his release hinged on his ability to perfect his bail conditions.
Although the official didn’t give details as regards the terms for his bail, it was gathered Obi Cubana is being quizzed for many things and will continue until he satisfies the conditions for his bail.
“There are many things for which the businessman is being interrogated and until he meets the conditions for his bail, the interrogation would continue,” the official said. Read more
Why developing total man in our youths is vital — Eigbe, Starfield College boss (Vanguard)
Director of Studies, Starfield College, Lagos, Mr Chris Eigbe, has said bringing out the total man while educating today’s youths has become imperative for them to be able to cope with future challenges.
He stated this during the 2021 Valedictory Service for final year students of the school.
He opined that development trends globally point to the facts that book knowledge only might not be able to take anybody to the top, but that adding innate talents and skills has become imperative.
“That is what we are doing in our college. We are developing the total man in our students. We are not just focusing on academic activities, but we are nurturing them and their talents. “Our youths must have the necessary skills to cope with life. Read more
I’m forever grateful to Olamide, says Fireboy DML (Nation)
Afropop star and YBNL artiste, Fireboy DML has expressed deep gratitude to his boss, Olamide for being an exceptional human.
The “Peru” singer in a recent post said he is forever grateful to Olamide because, he is a good person.
Fireboy DML went on to describe his boss, the “Julie” rapper as the “GOAT” (Greatest of All Time).
He wrote: “Forever grateful to Baddo for being such a good human being. Da GOAT 4L.”
On Tuesday, July 28, 2021, Olamide and his protégé spoke with OkayAfrica’s Nadia Neophytou in an interview hours after they arrived in New York on their promo tour. Read more
Odu’a Group, partners train 5,000 youths on digital economy (Guardian)
Odu’a Investment Company Limited has begun an intensive training of 5,000 youths drawn from all Southwest states on information and communication technology as well as the digital economy.
The ICT training which features Microsoft Nigeria and Software Business Solutions Consulting (SBSC) as technical partners, is part of plans by Odu’a Group to empower and create employment opportunities for the youths as well as create multiplier economic effects in the region.
Speaking at the launch of the ICT program at the Ogun State Tech Hub in Abeokuta, Adewale Raji, Group Managing Director of Odu’a Investment Company Limited, stated that the mandate from shareholders was to impact six Southwest states, namely, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti, in all sectors of economy, especially in the area of youths development as regards ICT and digital economy.
Raji, who spoke in Abeokuta in company of Bimbo Ashiru, Director and Investment Committee Chairman, Odu’a Investment Company Limited, said, “Starting from our origin, you know we are owned by six Southwest states of Nigeria and in terms of mandate from shareholders, we are meant to impact the population of the Southwest. Read more
East/West road has gulped over N359b ― Akpabio (Tribune)
The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has disclosed that over N359 billion has so far been expended on the 657km dual carriage East-West road stretching from Calabar in Cross River State to Effurun in Delta State since it was initiated in 2006, without the desired benefits
The Minister said, bearing in mind the objectives of the Administration of President Muhammadu Buhari on the completion of on-going projects, the Ministry was considering raising funds from other sources to ensure the completion of section I-IV of the road before the end of this administration.
Senator Akpabio made this statement during the Ministry’s 2021 Budget Performance review and 2022 proposed budget consideration to the House of Representative Committee on Niger Delta Affairs in Abuja.
Speaking during the presentation, Senator Akpabio recalled that the Ministry was created among other things, to implement policies for the infrastructure, environmental, human development and security of the Niger Delta Region. Read more
Foundation of Nigerian unity shaking due to insecurity – NAWOJ (Sun)
The Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) met at the Nasarawa Luxury Hotel in Lafia on Thursday for a one-day security summit on the theme “National Interest Amidst Insecurity – The role of the Media”.
According to NAWOJ National President Ladi Bala, Nigeria is struggling for peace, unity and prosperity, noting that the country is beset by insecurity and violent crime by insurgents, bandits, kidnappers, and political agitators.
‘In all these women and children are mostly affected. This sad narrative desire a positive change for the good of all, the development is really worrisome as the very foundation of our unity is shaking as a result of insecurity,’ she said.
Ladi stressed the need for the media to set the agenda for national discourse regarding addressing perceived injustices, lack of equitable allocation of resources and power, as well as a shared responsibility.
The chief host of the event and Governor of Nasarawa State, Abdullahi Sule, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Alyu Muhammed Ubandoma, appreciated NAWOJ for choosing the state to hold their National Executive Council Meeting and create an avenue to discuss security. Read more
Kidnappers of 2 Edo pupils demand N100m ransom (Nation)
Abductors of two female pupils of Gloryland Group of Schools in Igarra, Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State have demanded N100 million ransom.
The siblings were kidnapped from a vehicle containing other pupils around 5:35 pm on Igarra-Auchi Road near Ikpeshi in Akoko-Edo council last Tuesday.
The father of the victims, Kola Momodu, who is based in Auchi, the headquarters of Etsako West LGA of Edo state, expressed worry on the safety of his children while pleading for their safe release.
Edo Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Bello Kontongs, a Superintendent of Police (SP), assured that the two pupils would soon be rescued unhurt with policemen, soldiers and vigilance members still combing the forest. Read more
Nigerian banks to reject £20, £50 banknotes from January 1 (Independent)
Following the decision of the Bank of England (BOE) to phase out its £20 and £50 paper banknotes, with effect from September 30, 2022, there are indications that various branches of Nigerian banks may reject them as legal tenders from January 1, 2022.
In a notice to its customers on Thursday, November 4, 2021, the management of Keystone Bank Limited said its branches “will only accept polymer notes from all customers.”
However, no reason was given for the decision to stop accepting the notes nine months before they cease to have legal tender status with the issuing authority.
Nigeria changed to polymer banknotes on February 28, 2007, when it introduced the 20 Naira denomination notes to test acceptability. Satisfied with the public acceptance of the notes, the five, 10, and 50 Naira notes late 2009. Read more
UK approves Merck’s antiviral COVID-19 pill in world first move (AlJazeera)
The United Kingdom has become the first country in the world to approve a potentially game-changing COVID-19 antiviral pill jointly developed by Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) recommended on Thursday that the drug, molnupiravir, be used as soon as possible following a positive COVID-19 test and within five days of the onset of symptoms, citing clinical data.
This is the first oral antiviral treatment for COVID-19 to be approved, marking a boost to the fight against the pandemic, with the green light coming before potential regulatory clearance in the United States. US advisers will meet this month to vote on whether molnupiravir should be authorised.
Treatments to tackle the pandemic, which has killed more than 5.2 million people worldwide, have so far focused mainly on vaccines. Other options, including Gilead’s infused antiviral remdesivir and generic steroid dexamethasone, are generally only given after a patient has been hospitalised. Read more
Gunman, 14, and 3 other teenagers found guilty of Keon Lincoln murder (Standard)
A 14-year-old gunman and three other teenagers have been found guilty of murdering a schoolboy who was stabbed and shot dead near his home.
Keon Lincoln, aged 15, was shot in the stomach while on the ground despite making attempts to escape the 30-second gang attack, but was pronounced dead two hours later at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
Jurors convicted the 14-year-old Birmingham youth of murder on Thursday and returned a guilty verdict on the same charge against a youth aged 16, from Walsall who was caught on CCTV armed with a large knife as Keon was attacked near his home in Linwood Road, Handsworth, in January this year. Read more
Doug, the ugly New Zealand potato, could be the world’s biggest (USAToday)
Colin and Donna Craig-Brown were weeding their garden in New Zealand when Colin’s hoe struck something huge just beneath the soil.
As the couple knelt down and dug around the object, Colin wondered whether it was some kind of strange fungal growth, a giant puffball. After Colin pried it out with his garden fork, he scratched away a bit of the skin and tasted it.
A potato.“We couldn’t believe it,” Donna said. “It was just huge.”
And not exactly pretty. Donna describes its appearance as more of an ugly, mutant look. Read more
Boy, 14, and 3 other teenagers guilty after schoolboy shot and stabbed to death (Metro)
A 14-year-old gunman and three other teenagers aged between 16 and 18 have been found guilty at Birmingham Crown Court of murdering schoolboy Keon Lincoln.
The youngest boy, from Birmingham, who cannot be named because of his age, stood with his hands clasped and showed little emotion as he was unanimously convicted of killing the 15-year-old victim.
He was also convicted of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
A youth aged 16 from Walsall, whose identity is also protected by a court order, was found guilty of murder after being caught on CCTV armed with a large knife as Keon was attacked near his home in Linwood Road, Handsworth, in January this year. Read more
Europe could suffer 500,000 more virus deaths by Feb: WHO expert (AlJazeera)
The current rate of COVID-19 transmission in Europe is of “grave concern” and the region could see another 500,000 deaths by early next year, according to the European head of the World Health Organization (WHO).
WHO Europe Director Hans Kluge told reporters on Thursday that new coronavirus cases in Europe were near record levels, with spiralling infection rates fuelled by the highly transmissible Delta variant.
“Today, every single country in our region is facing a real threat of COVID-19 resurgence or already fighting it,” Kluge said from the global health agency’s Europe headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark.
With 78 million cases in the WHO’s Europe region – which includes all 27 member states of the European Union and the United Kingdom, Russia, Turkey, several Central Asian nations, and Israel – its cumulative toll now exceeds that of South East Asia, the Eastern Mediterranean region, the Western Pacific, and Africa combined. Read more
Aussie charged with snatching 4-year-old Cleo Smith had creepy doll obsession (NYPost)
A 36-year-old man obsessed with dolls was charged Thursday in the abduction of 4-year-old Cleo Smith, who was found “alive and well” after going missing for 18 days in Western Australia.
Terry Kelly appeared briefly in court in the town of Carnarvon, where he was charged with various offenses, including one count of forcibly taking a child under 16, police said in a statement.
Cleo was discovered in a house in Carnarvon early Wednesday, after police forced their way in and found her alone in a room playing with toys less than a 10-minute drive from her home.
She had gone missing from a campsite on Oct. 16.
“One of the officers picked her up into his arms and asked her, ‘What’s your name?’” Western Australia Police Deputy Commissioner Col Blanch told reporters. “She said, ‘My name is Cleo.’” Read more
Conor McGregor warned he will return to “different landscape” in UFC (Mirror)
Conor McGregor has been warned he will return to a “different landscape” when he comes back to the UFC next year after his leg break.
The Irishman is a legend of the sport, having won titles at two weight classes and drawing multiple record-breaking pay-per-view audiences, but he has only won once since November 2016 when he became lightweight champion.
And fellow MMA legend Chael Sonnen, who himself fought for the world title on a number of occasions, has warned that the way MMA works will have changed by the time McGregor returns to the cage next year.
Sonnen has likened his situation to that of Ronda Rousey, who lost her return to the cage after over a year out when she was stopped by Amanda Nunes, having gone unbeaten prior to her first loss to Holly Holm. Read more
Australia hammer Bangladesh in Dubai to boost T20 World Cup semi-finals hopes (National)
Australia boosted their hopes of advancing to the T20 World Cup semi-finals after leg-spinner Adam Zampa led a “clinical” eight-wicket victory over Bangladesh in Dubai on Thursday.
Australia and South Africa are vying to grab the second semi-final spot from Group I, behind leaders England, and Aaron Finch’s team needed a net run-rate boost to go with a victory and their bowlers rose to the occasion.
Zampa led the rout with five wickets for 19 runs as Australia skittled out Bangladesh for 73 in 15 overs.
Aaron Finch smashed 40 off 20 balls as Australia romped home in just 6.2 overs for their third win in four matches, while Bangladesh ended their Super 12 campaign losing all five matches. Read more
Johnny Sexton to make 100th Ireland appearance Ireland team as Andy Farrell names team for Autumn Nations Series opener (Independent)
Andy Farrell has picked a side made up of 12 Leinster players for Saturday’s clash with Japan as Johnny Sexton gets set for his 100th Ireland cap.
Munster pair Andrew Conway and Tadhg Beirne – who both began life in the Leinster Academy – and Connacht’s Bundee Aki are the only players not from the eastern province in the starting XV as Jamison Gibson-Park gets the nod ahead of Conor Murray at scrum-half.
It means that none of the starting XV came through the Academies at Munster, Ulster or Connacht with 12 from Leinster and three recruited from New Zealand.
With just five United Rugby Championship games so far this season, Farrell will be conscious of the lack of serious game-time for his players with Murray and Iain Henderson paying the price for a lack of minutes under their belts. Read more
Browns excuse Odell Beckham Jr. from practice for second consecutive day (USAToday)
The Browns have excused wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. from practice for the second consecutive day, a person familiar with the situation confirmed to the USA TODAY Network on Thursday morning. The person spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation
On Wednesday, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Beckham had been excused from practice while his representatives and general manager Andrew Berry discussed the future of the three-time Pro Bowl selection.
Asked whether Beckham had requested his release from the Browns, Stefanski said, “That’s something that I think his reps and Andrew would talk through.”
A breakup between the Browns and Beckham is likely.
The relationship reached critical condition on the heels of Beckham catching one pass on just one official target in Sunday’s 15-10 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Read more
Ian Baraclough: New contract to extend stay as Northern Ireland manager ‘very close’ (BBC)
Northern Ireland manager Ian Baraclough says a new contract with the Irish FA which will see him remain in the job is “very close” to being finalised.
The deal will take in the upcoming Nations League and European Championship qualifying campaigns.
The IFA board unanimously agreed to extend his contract in October and negotiations on the length of the extension have been taking place.
“Hopefully we can tie it up very quickly,” said Baraclough. Read more
Gareth Southgate snubs three Man Utd stars in latest England squad (Metro)
Gareth Southgate has axed Jadon Sancho from his latest England squad and resisted the temptation to recall Mason Greenwood despite his impressive form this season.
While Marcus Rashford earned an instant call-up following his return to fitness, there was no place for another Manchester United player who has been on the periphery of late at Old Trafford in Jesse Lingard.
Greenwood hadn’t been part of the England squads that convened for the World Cup qualifiers in September and October, despite his impressive club form, and has again been overlooked.
Southgate admitted that Sancho was fortunate to have avoided the axe ahead of last month’s fixtures against Hungary and Andorra, but he has now paid the price for the slow start he has made to his United career following his summer transfer from Borussia Dortmund. Read more
Ballon D’or 2021: ‘A special one’ – Who are the stars backing out of Robert Lewandowski, Lionel Messi and co? (Eurosport)
The men’s Ballon d’Or winner will be crowned later this year at the Chatelet Theatre in Paris and it is set to be one of the most unpredictable outcomes the award has seen in recent times.
The prestigious honour controversially took a year’s hiatus in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which angered a lot of fans as Robert Lewandowski seemed a certainty to win the award.
However, this year is much more open with more contenders emerging after having excellent seasons, which has created a division between fans within the footballing world.
And it isn’t just the fans who are split in their opinion, as the world’s elite football figures are also differing with their selection of who should win the Ballon d’Or. Read more